Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I finally got the Heroic Launcher and wow: now I have my GoG version of Cyberpunk on my Deck! This handheld is my new, favorite way to game. I find myself using it even when my gaming computer is available!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was reading an article about adding a kickstand to the deck and the author was implying that even if they didn't have an external controller, that they would use the deck's built-in controls, while on the table, as it's propped up by the kickstand, just to take the weight off their arms

Does anyone play like that? It seems awkward

Just get a nursing pillow.
https://www.amazon.com/nursing-pillow/s?k=nursing+pillow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A storming return for unofficial thread mascot, the nursing pillow.

Seriously get a nursing pillow they're so nice.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you don't want to explain to your date why you have a nursing pillow, I find a pillow also works quite well

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

these things are cheap as gently caress on the used market right now. I just bought one for 250 bucks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Barring a nursing pillow, just getting a long couch pillow (the kind that are as long as two pillows put end to end) works perfectly as well.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

these things are cheap as gently caress on the used market right now. I just bought one for 250 bucks

that's too much for a used nursing pillow my friend

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

So now that some of you have had the new toy for a bit how’s the battery life?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RandolphCarter posted:

So now that some of you have had the new toy for a bit how’s the battery life?

It's fantastic. I think it's almost better than the screen.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

tl;dr recent update seemed like it killed mine for a bit.

The other day I had my Steam Deck off, I think fully powered off, and connected it to a dock to charge. Came back to it yesterday with the fans going and device unresponsive.

At first it wouldn't turn on with three white LED blinks. Either dead battery or that battery mode thing in the bios. Switched to a laptop charger. I could enter the bios and boot menu but it would always stick on the Steam Deck logo or black screen after that.

I let it charge for a while and tried hard resetting it several times. Eventually it worked and applied an update. Think someone else ITT had a similar experience and was going to RMA

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hitting the refresh button, waiting for my details to change from packed to with courier. :smith:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How do Epic games run on the Deck? I assume not as good as Steam games because of shaders and the like?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Alan_Shore posted:

How do Epic games run on the Deck? I assume not as good as Steam games because of shaders and the like?
I didn't put forth enough effort to get non steam games running, some ran out of the box and others refused to run at all unless you used a specific version of proton.

I think there is a mod that takes community contributed data for most games to set them up right for the deck.

It pulls from a website
https://www.protondb.com/

Someone else can give more info, I'm just reiterating some basics for first time deck people.

The indie games that are light on graphics ran great.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

It depends and protondb.com is going to be your friend, as is one of the launchers such as lutris/heroic. It can overall be a fiddley process however and EGS is a pain in the arse.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

It's fantastic. I think it's almost better than the screen.

If you have baldurs gate 3 I’d be really interested in how much time you get from a charge.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Communist Bear posted:

It depends and protondb.com is going to be your friend, as is one of the launchers such as lutris/heroic. It can overall be a fiddley process however and EGS is a pain in the arse.

Basically yeah. The Deck has taken me from being largely storefront-agnostic to Steam or bust. I haven't double dipped on any games I've purchased outside of Steam yet but when Hades 2 launches if there's a deal that gets me the first game as well I'll almost certainly take it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I got a nice crescent theraline hypo-allergetic one that's maybe 1.5m long from a baby supply store. It's 30 bucks new.

The problem is that it's too good of a pillow. Great behind the neck sitting and laying, with a book or controller in the lap, or to hug at night if you don't know what to do with your arms. Wife has laid claim to it and I'm buying another one.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 20, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

If you have baldurs gate 3 I’d be really interested in how much time you get from a charge.

I do have it but not yet installed. Just general loving around getting stuff set up and playing grim dawn for a couple hours at this point. I remember playing for a good hour and looking at the battery and being pleasantly surprised. And I don't bother limiting tdp generally.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

playing grim dawn for a couple hours

it's incredible how much post-launch support Grim Dawn has gotten. They released another major patch three days ago!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Does GD have controller support now or is does it still come down to finding the right community layout?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

dreffen posted:

Does GD have controller support now or is does it still come down to finding the right community layout?

It just worked for me. Kinda hard to read at 800p but controller support is native best I could tell.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Heran Bago posted:

tl;dr recent update seemed like it killed mine for a bit.

The other day I had my Steam Deck off, I think fully powered off, and connected it to a dock to charge. Came back to it yesterday with the fans going and device unresponsive.

At first it wouldn't turn on with three white LED blinks. Either dead battery or that battery mode thing in the bios. Switched to a laptop charger. I could enter the bios and boot menu but it would always stick on the Steam Deck logo or black screen after that.

I let it charge for a while and tried hard resetting it several times. Eventually it worked and applied an update. Think someone else ITT had a similar experience and was going to RMA

That sounds very similar to what I was dealing with right after I cloned the system onto a new SSD. I ended up having to completely wipe the SSD and reinstall everything.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Stupid Epic launcher. Why oh why didn’t I get rocket league on steam when I could have.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Heads up, Sifu is 52% off on Green Man Gaming, bringing it under $20. It activates on Steam and plays great on the Deck.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Vegastar posted:

It just worked for me. Kinda hard to read at 800p but controller support is native best I could tell.

May have to grab that again then. GD is so drat good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

dreffen posted:

Certified good. I still tweaked the layout to my liking and the track pads are great for inventory or map stuff. There's a ui scaler in the setting which helps. Haven't had much issue reading small stuff but I've had LASIK. :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hoping my OLED gets sent to the carrier today but then I remembered what time of year it is.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Party Boat posted:

Basically yeah. The Deck has taken me from being largely storefront-agnostic to Steam or bust. I haven't double dipped on any games I've purchased outside of Steam yet but when Hades 2 launches if there's a deal that gets me the first game as well I'll almost certainly take it.

same. gaben laughs

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

In case anyone is interested, *something* seems to have fixed Halo Infinite multiplayer recently, for me at least. Have put 20 hours on it in the past week and have had zero framerate drops or random crashes. Just set everything to low, lock at 40fps in game, and leave the Deck’s refresh rate at 60 and you’re good to go.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Animal posted:

Heads up, Sifu is 52% off on Green Man Gaming, bringing it under $20. It activates on Steam and plays great on the Deck.

Sifu is a good-rear end time.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Rolo posted:

Stupid Epic launcher. Why oh why didn’t I get rocket league on steam when I could have.
If you see this let me know how the input lag is.

So far I've found it pretty bad on the OG deck, it plays like a switch, and ps4 wasn't much better.

Yes my tv was on game mode and it's an LG c2 so it shouldn't be terrible, but it is (compared to my gaming computer)

I think they work fine when undocked, but I don't really want to play that way.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Unlucky7 posted:

If I had a micro sd with a bunch of games on it, can I take that out of my old Deck and put it into my new one without much fuss, once I get it set up with my account?

Just got my tracking number, though it isn't active on UPS yet.

If you just put it in your new deck before you set it up everything should be fine.

Recently I reimaged my deck because I was tired of weird behavior (often the device would panic and reboot coming out of sleep, sometimes the power button wouldn't respond right, probably there's a bunch of remnants of old versions of decky loader etc, the fakeroot i set up for a custom pacman might have been messing things up, etc). Once I logged back in to the fresh OS, it saw my SD card and games no problem and Steam pulled the cloud saves and such without any fuss or notification.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

what is it now Steam Deck?

After a few attempts, Current Image A + Bootmenu got me where I wanted, showing no boot menu.

I'm never shutting this thing down again, goddamn.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Party Boat posted:

I definitely prefer Steam, but if you haven’t gone to desktop mode and gotten Heroic Launcher from the Discover app: you should give it a try.

I’m finding GoG especially works really well with almost no effort. Just install through Heroic, in desktop mode, and then click the Add to Steam button and the game appears in game mode! It even adds some art for the thumbnails and banners automatically!

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Tracking said Tuesday all weekend... now today :smuggo:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I used Heroic to install Bioshock Remastered since I got that with an Epic freebie and it didn't save properly so I played it for an hour, saved and when I went back to it later it said there were no save games. So I just bought it again on Steam the next time it was on sale.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-steam-deck-oled-doesnt-just-look-better-than-lcd-it-plays-better-too

significant input lag advantages on the OLED

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hm, my OLED Deck's shipping label was created Saturday but it still hasn't actually shipped yet (and has no estimated date as a result). I had assumed it was just because it was the weekend, but now it's mid-day Monday. Guess I probably won't get it before Thanksgiving weekend, oh well.

I wonder if this is just because of so many things being sent out all at once? So whatever UPS location they're shipping it from can only get out a portion of them each day. That could explain why some were actually shipped relatively quickly.

On the upside, my friend (who just had a baby in October) said that he would like my old Deck. Happy that I have a good use for it now. I was actually wondering about whether he'd even be interested since he has never really used handhelds, and then he suddenly sent me an article asking about my opinions about handheld PCs.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

If you see this let me know how the input lag is.

So far I've found it pretty bad on the OG deck, it plays like a switch, and ps4 wasn't much better.

Yes my tv was on game mode and it's an LG c2 so it shouldn't be terrible, but it is (compared to my gaming computer)

I think they work fine when undocked, but I don't really want to play that way.

I feel like I'm the input lag version of those blessed people who can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60 or 120fps (or 1080p and 4k resolution). I've never been able to tell the difference in input lag outside of literally maxing out all my TV's motion smoothing and blame frame insertion options (I have an LG C1).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wtf

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

are you only playing visual novels or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

are you only playing visual novels or something

Input lag below a certain threshold is imperceptible. And while ultimately for things like fighting games, yes this tiny amount of input lag improvement will help you, you'd never be able to consciously notice a difference.