Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yusin posted:

Book of Many Things is out on Beyond, physical is delayed cause of defective cards in enough sets to be annoying.

Wizards of the Coast? A company renown for the quality control of its cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

change my name posted:

Wizards of the Coast? A company renown for the quality control of its cards?

The D&D and Magic teams tend to not have much communication. Brink outright said the issue was their lack of experience with cards.

Namely the new packaging they were using was damaging the cards and had too high a defect rate for Brink to feel right shipping them, until the defects were fixed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yusin posted:

Namely the new packaging they were using was damaging the cards and had too high a defect rate for Brink to feel right shipping them, until the defects were fixed.

That is actually a level of quality assurance above what goes into Magic cards

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Yeah it was announced several weeks ago after shipping some preview copies.

The Book itself regardless of the cards is pretty solid. Basically a play kit of stuff a DM can insert into their games. Stuff like a card based encounter builder, an example keep players can take ownership of after clearing it out, and various npc groups that can be brought into a campaign.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

neonchameleon posted:

In practice I find standees look a lot better than unpainted minis - and my painted to unpainted mini ratio is very low (I backed Reaper Bones on kickstarter)

I’ve actually backed all 6 Reaper Bones kickstarters but never unpacked them from the boxes, because I have poor impulse control and wanted to have plenty of miniatures for once my kids were old enough for tabletop gaming, so unpainted minis will have to do for now, but thanks for the advice.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've been reading through a whole bunch of 3.5 books the last few days. By the gods there are so many classes, prestige classes, feats, powers, abilities, spells, races, templates, bloodlines and I don't even know. So much fun and many hours have just flown by.

When I first read it I thought the 5e battlemaster was cool but now it seems kinda dull and boring compared to anything Tome of Battle but enough of that because there is a freaking psychic warrior that can manifest massive claws and just go with that as a build. That's so awesome! And I don't even know how many more things you could do with all those tons and tons of powers. But then I found the Dragonfire Adept. It has sucky BAB, not great hit dice and no spells. Instead it has invocations kinda like a warlock but they are dragon themed. Oh and the class has A FREAKING DRAGONBREATH ABILITY and you can breathe fire every round and augment it with special effects as you level up. That. Is. Supremely. Awesome! :stwoon:

Obviously it's not perfect or well balanced by any stretch of the imagination etc but by all the layers of the abyss am I tired of seeing new systems with about five race options, half again as many classes, few or no abilities such as feats and the instant you try and do anything that isn't their idea of a super generic cookie cutter fighter, rogue or wizard it slams a ruler across your fingers and screams NO! I don't know where I'm going with this except that I am overly excited about learning these books. Unfortunately it'd probably be insanely way too much work to attempt to convert all of it to 5e but it's nice to dream. My ultimate D&D would probably be an impossible mix of 3.5 and 5 with some 4 stuff thrown in as well, and there is probably fun stuff in the even earlier editions too. :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I love that someone is rediscovering the Book of Weeaboo Fightin' Magic (this is bad because grognards are scared of change)

Kalimar
Mar 20, 2006

Anyone play on Tabletop Simulator or TaleSpire? I'm having difficulty finding a group either locally or on Discord and always preferred playing games with people off this site, e.g. GoonTang Clan in "Age of Wushu."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

S.J. posted:

I love that someone is rediscovering the Book of Weeaboo Fightin' Magic (this is bad because grognards are scared of change)
I don't see the weeaboo thing at all. Is it the names of the manoeuvrers and stances? They're not any worse than real life western ones. Spells, feats and even standard stuff like Bull Rush or Power Attack, Leap Attack, etc is the same or "worse"? :confused:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Poil posted:

I don't see the weeaboo thing at all. Is it the names of the manoeuvrers and stances? They're not any worse than real life western ones. Spells, feats and even standard stuff like Bull Rush or Power Attack, Leap Attack, etc is the same or "worse"? :confused:

It's a joke from like 2 decades ago.

people here are old enough to have been around for it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm old enough, but I'm not familiar with it.

Doing some more reading. LA really sucks. I get why it exists but it's way too high on pretty much everything. There is a rule to buy off LA which seems pretty good and then there are the bloodlines which require taking empty LA levels kind of? Like:
1. class level
2. class level
3. class level
4. class level
5. class level
6. empty LA level
7. class level
and so on

There is a prestige class called Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries which requires 8 ranks of jump but it doesn't actually have jump as a class skill so you can't continue to improve it? Why?
I suppose it's no surprise that my favorite NWN2 class was dragon disciple. :v:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Dexo posted:

people here are old

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Poil posted:

It's because the Tome allowed martials to do cool stuff approaching casters RAW, and caster-loving grognards got PO'ed about that and started a smear campaign against the book.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
It's the same arguments people have any time martial characters can do anything that isn't just rolling a d20 and doing damage. It's very frustrating to me how permissive the game and the (online, not representative of human beings at your table) is towards spell casters doing any and everything versus martial characters.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Poil posted:

There is a prestige class called Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries which requires 8 ranks of jump but it doesn't actually have jump as a class skill so you can't continue to improve it? Why?
I suppose it's no surprise that my favorite NWN2 class was dragon disciple. :v:

Prestige classes are at this weird exact midpoint of easy to format, easy to conceive of, and hard to actually make interesting or useful that resulted in the 3.x era having approximately 300 billion of them of which about 10 are any good.

My favorite thing to encounter when digging through OGL shovelware poo poo is the "Prestige class that describes a regular job that people actually had, but now you have to be like a 10th level cleric to do it" like Cultic Prostitute or Deep Sea Fisherman or whatever.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
5e has a lot of issues, but archetypes are a much better implementation of what prestige classes wanted to be

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Ominous Jazz posted:

It's the same arguments people have any time martial characters can do anything that isn't just rolling a d20 and doing damage. It's very frustrating to me how permissive the game and the (online, not representative of human beings at your table) is towards spell casters doing any and everything versus martial characters.

I think my first experience with this was the comments for somebody's homebrew Pugilist class, in which everybody was like "But why does he punch so good?? It can't just be because he's tough. That's impossible."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HellCopter posted:

I think my first experience with this was the comments for somebody's homebrew Pugilist class, in which everybody was like "But why does he punch so good?? It can't just be because he's tough. That's impossible."

100 pushups, 100 situps, and a 10km run every day

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
New DM seeking advice.

I've started Lost Mines of Phandelver and it's the first campaign I've run. My party is about to complete the initial cave dungeon and will level up when they rest at town.

I'd like to give everyone an early feat at level 2, just because it seems like fun and it's a short campaign (no clue yet if we'll continue past its conclusion). It looks like this is a fairly common freebie DMs will give level 1 characters.

What would be a good way to balance this? I'm not sure if I should provide a restricted list of less commonly picked / weak feats or if I should just ban the absolute strongest (GWM etc).

I'm not really sure how power-gamey my table will be, but I am worried about the possible outcome of, say, a player picking a fluff feat early and then just a +2 ASI at level 4, versus a player who picks two half-ASI feats (which seems like it would be much more powerful).

If it matters, they are all using premade characters with the module; none have an ability score higher than 16.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

no specific advice on feats, but i googled how long people take to play LMoP after seeing you call it a "short" campaign (which i guess it is). 20-40 hours people say. my pcs just killed the bbeg on session 25, i'd estimate an average of 3 hours a session lmao. about 75 hours or so. some people run this thing in like freaking 15 hours. how?!

granted i fleshed a lot of stuff out so i'm not overly surprised to see a high number vs the average. but wtf people completeing this poo poo in 3 sessions.../?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

YorexTheMad posted:

New DM seeking advice.

You can do most anything you want but my general advice to new DMs is to stick more closely to the rules as published than you think you need to.

There can be good reasons to change just about anything -- free bonus feats at level 1 are a very popular homebrew especially and for a lot of good reasons -- but the rules as they are in 5e have been *extensively* playtested over many years by thousands and thousands of people.

The danger is all the rules interlock with everything else (e.g., there may be a feat that could trivialize an encounter in lmop, but the writers know that by the rules no one can take it, so not an issue -- unless the DM allows early feats. Just an example) and you as a newbie may not have the system mastery yet to spot those issues and secondary effects when making your changes.

This advice goes double if you have power gamers or experienced players in your group, because they *will* spot the issue even if you don't.

Basically my advice is -- you have good instincts. You realized "hey I may not know if this could derail things, better ask." When you have enough system mastery to feel confident that you don't need to ask because you've spotted the dangers, then change whatever you want.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

YorexTheMad posted:

New DM seeking advice.

I've started Lost Mines of Phandelver and it's the first campaign I've run. My party is about to complete the initial cave dungeon and will level up when they rest at town.

I'd like to give everyone an early feat at level 2, just because it seems like fun and it's a short campaign (no clue yet if we'll continue past its conclusion). It looks like this is a fairly common freebie DMs will give level 1 characters.

What would be a good way to balance this? I'm not sure if I should provide a restricted list of less commonly picked / weak feats or if I should just ban the absolute strongest (GWM etc).

I'm not really sure how power-gamey my table will be, but I am worried about the possible outcome of, say, a player picking a fluff feat early and then just a +2 ASI at level 4, versus a player who picks two half-ASI feats (which seems like it would be much more powerful).

If it matters, they are all using premade characters with the module; none have an ability score higher than 16.

I by default give players a free feat at level 1. I personally ask them to leave Lucky out of it because I just find Lucky really annoying and obstructive, especially with very indecisive players.

It gives them a little power boost but nothing that's going to break the game before level 5.

Since it's your first time DMing, I don't think it'd be worst thing to err on the side of caution and not do this. If you play future games or continue with this one, maybe you can drop that freebie in as like a reward for completing LMoP.

Malpais Legate fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 20, 2023

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

YorexTheMad posted:

New DM seeking advice.

I think all the half-feats, the ones that give +1 and other benefits should be fair game. ...master feats like GWM can be pretty much build defining for some martial classes, but very gamebreaking as well, so it is a good idea to restrict them, especially this early on. Giving out a feat is cool but could also guve some inexperienced players decision paralysis and adds another moving part to their character which they have to track.

So yea, stick "weak" feats that could help flesh out the charaters' ability to roleplay or do cool stuff. Fey/shadow touched or skill expert or niche picks like actor would be on my list. Trust your gut. If it feels too strong, it probably is.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

YorexTheMad posted:

New DM seeking advice.

I think a common solution I've seen is to give everyone a bonus feat but take the bonus-feat races (i.e. variant human, Tasha custom lineage) off the table, so everyone starts on the same footing and no one starts with two. I guess you might consider it problematic if someone takes a half-feat to push their main stat to 18, but that was possible already by default with custom lineage anyways, so nothing is new.

You're right though that there's a huge amount of variance with feat strength, and many aren't worth the massive cost of neglecting your number-goes-up, but that's not really an issue you can escape without playing a different game. :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ZZT the Fifth posted:

It's because the Tome allowed martials to do cool stuff approaching casters RAW, and caster-loving grognards got PO'ed about that and started a smear campaign against the book.

I know at a certain point the people who liked Tome of Battle reclaimed it because to some degree, yes, if I'm playing a martial in this fantasy game I expect to be able to look and behave like an anime character. But yeah it was originally a derogatory name for it because grogs can't imagine anyone doing anything superhuman with just their strength, magic has to be involved.

The lack of Tome of Battle style maneuvers for martials is really one of the bigger knocks of 5e.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Poil posted:

Anything more involved than "swing sword" or "trip" is anime superhero garbage and you should hate it.

Sorry, I'm being intentionally ridiculous. At least some of you will understand :v

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Monathin posted:

I know at a certain point the people who liked Tome of Battle reclaimed it because to some degree, yes, if I'm playing a martial in this fantasy game I expect to be able to look and behave like an anime character. But yeah it was originally a derogatory name for it because grogs can't imagine anyone doing anything superhuman with just their strength, magic has to be involved.

The lack of Tome of Battle style maneuvers for martials is really one of the bigger knocks of 5e.

steal weapon maneuvers from BG3! They're Neat and tactical

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't that the moves they're adding to every weapon now from the playtests?

Azubah fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 20, 2023

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

no specific advice on feats, but i googled how long people take to play LMoP after seeing you call it a "short" campaign (which i guess it is). 20-40 hours people say. my pcs just killed the bbeg on session 25, i'd estimate an average of 3 hours a session lmao. about 75 hours or so. some people run this thing in like freaking 15 hours. how?!

I planned on my party clearing the Goblin cave in short order in one session. Instead they ended in a Scooby Doo style chase towards and away from different enemy groups. I bet a campaign varies wildly depending on how serious and metagamey players are!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Azubah posted:

Isn't that the moves they're adding to every weapon now from the playtests?

Yes and no. Some are - Topple and Cleave are there, but there's also stuff like Lacerate and Pommel Strike which aren't being translated.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
aw why not

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Don't ask me - if it were up to me I'd put those moves in 5e/One, but presumably there's some dumb thoughts about it being unbalanced or w/e. :shrug:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"How come my fighter can't just keep cleaving without having to rest? If he can physically do it once, he can do it all day!"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Caphi posted:

"How come my fighter can't just keep cleaving without having to rest? If he can physically do it once, he can do it all day!"

clearly this person doesn't have a lot of experience with cleaving

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

clearly this person doesn't have a lot of experience with cleaving

Edition Wars Edition Wars let's goooooo:dance:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I demand the martial ability to slice a mountain in half.

gently caress it, it happened in the Song of Roland. AND Chrono Trigger!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

S.J. posted:

Edition Wars Edition Wars let's goooooo:dance:

look I just wanted to make a vague innuendo I didn't expect you to act like some kind of [rolls d10] BECMI-loving moron

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

look I just wanted to make a vague innuendo I didn't expect you to act like some kind of [rolls d10] BECMI-loving moron

You can't just hand me nostalgia laden lines like that and expect me not to get excited

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

After feedback I went with the reply to "trust my instincts" and gave my players a list of recommended feats for their character, trying to tie to their background / personality instead of power level. There's really only one person at the table who I think would be a power gaming risk, but they want to focus on RP this game so I'm going to trust them to not go too ham.

Thanks for all the feedback, we'll see how this experiment goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So long as the player is engaging with the story and roleplay, what's wrong with power gaming?