Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cool Dad posted:

What build has the most brain dead, easy, slow, but effective rotation? I'm playing condi virtuoso right now and it's ok but it's a lot of buttons to remember and press quickly and I'm getting killed a lot. I could probably get it down eventually but I would kind of like to play something more chill.

Flamethrower core engie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

kirbysuperstar posted:

Flamethrower core engie

Second, while also tossing out necro minion builds as just absolutely an easy choice for PvE content. Alternatively I'd even say hammer guardian for having some fun skills on top of most guardian skills being simple stuff that can work with any build, like shouts all being generally great to carry around.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cool Dad posted:

What build has the most brain dead, easy, slow, but effective rotation? I'm playing condi virtuoso right now and it's ok but it's a lot of buttons to remember and press quickly and I'm getting killed a lot. I could probably get it down eventually but I would kind of like to play something more chill.

rifle mechanist.
you only press 1. (sometimes 2 if you really feel like it) (and you can take this into raids btw and still hit top 3 dps, or at least you could a month or so back)

(if you want stability put flamethrower on and take the stability, but then you have to run around to hit stuff)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I want to shoot some dudes with a magnum

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Cool Dad posted:

Condition mechanist. A bunch of your damage is fully automated, you've got the advantage of range, for solo gameplay you have a pocket tank, and it uses the exact same gear for group content too. https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mechanist_-_Condition_Mechanist like this, drop grenade kit for barrier signet for minimum buttons.

Just remember you can set the pet skills to autocast.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Cool Dad posted:

In addition to the already excellent suggestions, I throw Celestial Mirage in the ring. Mirage Cloak is basically cheat mode for anything PvE. Weapons traditionally are staff and X. X can be another staff. The most brain dead variant, which uses Sigil of Energy to get more Stamina and with that more dodges. X can also be a mainhand of Dagger/Axe/Scepter and an offhand of pretty much anything. Dagger gets you more interrupts/CC, axe more damage and clone generation, Scepter I haven't used much. Offhands add utility. Shield is defensive, Sword and Torch offensive, Focus is mixed, Pistol is lots of CC. So it's a good base to get to know the Mesmer weapons aside from MH sword and Greatsword.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Finally, the last new weapon blog post: Necro swords

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/sword-wielding-necromancers-are-gluttons-for-punishment/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like Vindicator is a lot more vampire-y somehow.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
“We heard that Necro players wanted a condi melee or a support weapon, so here’s another strike-based melee weapon!”

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
otoh, GORMANDIZE

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

whydirt posted:

“We heard that Necro players wanted a condi melee or a support weapon, so here’s another strike-based melee weapon!”
Underwhelming, really.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The skills actually seem flavorful and cool, so I’m willing to try them out. It’s just very anet to take an opportunity like this to fill gaps in weapon line-ups and then just… …not

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I hope they take an opportunity to refine the older weapons up to modern standards. They don't need to make them as complex as the new ones, but like, at least make them usable. I wanna use my Minstrel on my ele, dammit. Water 4 has never changed since release, except for some minor aftercast thing, and it's not like it was ever good. Look at this poo poo! :psyduck:

They could maybe add some bleeding to necro dagger to fill out the melee condi niche. It already does a little bleeding on the 3 skill.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Do they ever add entirely new weapons in? Everything looks the same from when I first played back on launch.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

S.J. posted:

Do they ever add entirely new weapons in? Everything looks the same from when I first played back on launch.

nope, same weapons since launch

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The chances of them adding a completely new weapon are about as high as them adding wing 8.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well I don't know what wing 8 is but I get your meaning

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I mean, we ARE more likely to get new weapon types than we are a new playable race...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they really should just remove the condi/power distinction and just let DOTs crit.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Any tips for better performance? The older areas run fine, but ever since EoD they seem to keep adding huge complex areas that tank the framerate and make everything look bad. I have a decent CPU (5600x3d) and an old but ok GPU (2060 super).

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Never go above medium character model limit and low character model quantity. Also keep shadows to low (medium and high have terrible pop in, ultra are going to halve your fps). None of the other setting really do anything for fps.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The biggest issue is almost always model quantity/quality. Shadows are also a thing but I think that affects VRAM more than anything else.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

I hope they take an opportunity to refine the older weapons up to modern standards. They don't need to make them as complex as the new ones, but like, at least make them usable. I wanna use my Minstrel on my ele, dammit. Water 4 has never changed since release, except for some minor aftercast thing, and it's not like it was ever good. Look at this poo poo! :psyduck:

They could maybe add some bleeding to necro dagger to fill out the melee condi niche. It already does a little bleeding on the 3 skill.

Are there any weapons that are unusable? Ele Focus has been the PvP off hand of choice for years (Dagger has had a comeback lately though).
The only weapons that come to mind are Guardian Hammer (which basically only has a gimmicky burst PvP build, although its far from unviable in PvE, just that both swords are better) and Warrior Warhorn (which has some use in WvW zergs)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hammer guardian has a LI auto attack build that isn't the worst, and does more damage than many other people in random pve squads.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I'm sorry if it was covered in hundreds of pages, but is there like a good way to do jump puzzles? I absolutely lose my poo poo on camera and controls on them. I might be better off with a chicklet keyboard on the laptop and not using a mech? I think action cam works a lot better, but it's still work to see where I'm jumping.

I'm pretty sure I suck at jump puzzles, but is there something to make them a bit less horrible?

I've toughed my way through everything but the ember bay one, of the ones I've seen.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wuxi posted:

Are there any weapons that are unusable? Ele Focus has been the PvP off hand of choice for years (Dagger has had a comeback lately though).
The only weapons that come to mind are Guardian Hammer (which basically only has a gimmicky burst PvP build, although its far from unviable in PvE, just that both swords are better) and Warrior Warhorn (which has some use in WvW zergs)

I'm mainly talking about PvE. I got my backpack, I'm not going back into PvP unless something possesses me to upgrade the ascended armor set I have to legendary.

What with the split between modes, there's no excuse for ele focus to have 40+ cooldown skills that do no damage and single target wet noodle attacks.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

nesamdoom posted:

I'm sorry if it was covered in hundreds of pages, but is there like a good way to do jump puzzles? I absolutely lose my poo poo on camera and controls on them. I might be better off with a chicklet keyboard on the laptop and not using a mech? I think action cam works a lot better, but it's still work to see where I'm jumping.

I'm pretty sure I suck at jump puzzles, but is there something to make them a bit less horrible?

I've toughed my way through everything but the ember bay one, of the ones I've seen.

You can use Blish HUD to show you the route through every jumping puzzle (with where to jump and glide indicated too). Even then, some jump puzzles can just be a bit tricky.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

nesamdoom posted:

I absolutely suck at jumping puzzles no matter the controls - do you have the position rewinder? I think that has made a lot of them much less frustrating for me at least. Other than that I find it easiest on the smaller/med size characters (night impossible on charr idk how you charr mains manage) and taking them very slowly & using guides when I get stuck. The only ones I haven't completed are the 'timed' ones where you can't slow down & figure out stuff. Although I did manage clock tower a couple times that's the only timed one I've ever completed even once. Oh and that one with the vine whips that one I just paid someone to teleport me to the end.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ApeHawk posted:

I mean, we ARE more likely to get new weapon types than we are a new playable race...

tengu when

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Also most JP platforms are more forgiving than they look. I’ve found I’m more likely to mess up by overcompensating for what I think is a bad jump than from the jump itself.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

ApeHawk posted:

I'm going with a wild prediction based on the most recent story:

Playable Kryptis (like Peitha). Completely new race, interesting back story, and a neat character model that looks like it's a Sylvari base with Norn size. Use Sylvari armor models with a size multiplier and everything works with minimal tweaking. They can do a personal story based on you being a Kryptis that rebels against Eparch. This also serves nicely as a way for new players to jump right into a recent expansion without feeling the need to work through HoT, PoF, and Cantha first. When they're through with SotO they can use some Mists or Fractal :techno: explanation to loop you back to being the pact commander.

I don't know, I just got a vibe playing the most recent mission and I'm getting some serious WoW Death Knight-esque backstory possibilities. Maybe it's crazy, but if they do this I can :smugdog: eternally.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Tambaloneus posted:

Oh and that one with the vine whips that one I just paid someone to teleport me to the end.

Searing Ascent in Draconis Mons? I just attempted that one for the first time a few days ago and got hosed by my checkpoint (3rd one I think) disappearing because I used a jade waypoint and couldn't figure out how to backtrack to reapply it. Everyone talks about how much Chalice of Tears sucks, but that one is just an esoteric nightmare. In general, I don't like JPs that do such a terrible job of telegraphing where to go that you need to use a guide unless you want to waste hours of your life in trial and error. And even when you use picture guide, it's still hard to follow.

In contrast, I did the Siren's Landing JP today for the first time without using a guide in no more than 30 minutes. The Prototype Rewinder did save me a ton of rage though.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

nesamdoom posted:

My secret sauce for jumping puzzles? The recharging teleport to friend item.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dwarves would be neat to play as.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Dwarves would be neat to play as.

Only if we get their tiny raptors

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

Only if we get their tiny raptors

All mounts should be mini mounts when you play as them.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

nesamdoom posted:

The best item if you're trying to do JPs legitimately or on ones with strict checkpointing like ember bay is the prototype position rewinder you get from sandswept isles. It's a bundle gizmo that lets you save a position, then instantly tp back to it if you fail a jump. Also some weapons like engineer rifle or thief staff have targeted leaps that can trivialize annoying jumps. I believe you also might be able to use the jade bot glider boost on puzzles with glides, depending on the map.

E: also it REALLY helps that gw2 uses cartoon jump physics where you can alter your movement mid-jump. This opens up stuff like pointing your camera down and releasing your movement keys the moment you're above a platform to drop straight down, or jumping and then moving while in the air for more precise small jumps. Also, if you're falling short on a long jump, you can use swiftness/superspeed to jump farther, or a forward leap ability like rocket boots to cheese it.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 21, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

More than decently. Ele is one of the professions that makes good use out of every stat. And catalyst is especially great because one of its mechanics is to increase all its gear stats with a stacking multiplier buff.

I've been using this build lately that's been trashing almost everything in PvE save for the really anti-melee group bosses. It's a revisit of a build I tooled around with prior to relics that leveraged Lightning Rod and Runes of the Aristocracy (gain might stacks when applying weakness) to keep max might almost all the time. They just added a new relic (Midnight King) that fills the void of losing that rune set and then some (AoE might stacks and fury when disabling). The build link doesn't have the relic because the build editor hasn't been updated with the new batch of relics yet. I personally use berserker/diviner mix, but celestial would be just as good, sacrificing a bit of damage for a lot of survivability.

On top of D/D having no shortage of AoE, disables, and built in evades, I'm able to give myself and allies lots of offensive boons and some support, while effortlessly keeping my own stacks of Persisting Flames and Elemental Empowerment at max. Every attunement has a use, but you don't need to follow a strict rotation. Hell, you can probably button mash and have success, but figuring out effect combos/chains, like air orb + earth 3 for a daze finisher, makes it all the sweeter.

I'm able to take on large mixed mob groups quickly and comfortably. Even solo HoT hero point champs in zero defensive gear.

https://i.imgur.com/MDEto7e.mp4
Here's one with all celestial trinkets (berserker armor+weapons), still tearing through charr veterans like paper. Notice my hp hitting 22k with max stacks of EE. Full cele can probably get over 25k plus extra toughness and self heal.

https://i.imgur.com/aAJBBqx.mp4

ty, this looks better than hammer tempest

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

nesamdoom posted:

In addition to the other hints (small to medium size character. Tekkit paths in either TacO or BlishHUF and getting Prototype Position Rewinder from LWS4), here are a few more suggestions.
  • Find out which camera angle works best for you. At non-timed JPs I use a steep angle between 45 and 90 degrees, so I can see exactly where I need to land. At times ones, it's more of a flat angle around 30 degrees, because it makes it easier to orient and position myself towards the next jump.
  • Pick a char with either passive run speed buff or near permanent swiftness. Passive is 25% bonus and often comes in the form of signet type utulity skills. Swiftness is 33%. Runes and Relic of speed bump up swiftness to longer duration and a 66% bonus iirc.
  • Two classes have "safe point" skills. For Mesmer this is Portal Entre/Exit. You set the start point and have up to 60s time to set the other and and teleport back to where your start was. Upside: other people can use it too and it can be used in both directions. That's why Mesmers are the gods of JPs and mini-dungeons. Downside: if you fall to you death or there is no solid ground where you land, you can't place the exit.
  • Necromancer is the second class and it comes with a "poor man's Position Rewinder" in the form of Spectral Walk. Once activated, it grants you swiftness and you turn ethereal green. You then have a 10s timeframes in which you can activate the skill again to return to where you first activated it. Depending on the difficulty, that's enough for 2 to 5 jumps. CD is 30s, so you can slowly work your way through most tricky JPs. Upside: you can also use the reset while falling, which Mesmer can't. Downside: it's personal benefit only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Fox
Apr 19, 2015

Tambaloneus posted:

(night impossible on charr idk how you charr mains manage)
  • you get used to it
  • while running on all fours, your hitbox is centered on your feet, not your model's center. you can run much farther forward before jumping than it looks like
  • draw your weapons so you're always walking upright
  • use an endless tonic to swap to a smaller form. monkey king works well. doesn't work in all JPs.