Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the ongoing OpenAI meltdown is extremely funny

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1726522444477784512

https://twitter.com/StockMKTNewz/status/1726600210556879120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

let them go who cares. open ai has all the valuable patents

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

oh, do they all have offers from Microsoft?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

Has an AI shot up an elementary school?

an alienated incel has done so, yes

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

and this thread

corncob

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

apparently the GOP presidential candidate nobody wanted, Will Hurd, was on the OpenAI board for some reason??

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

let them go who cares. open ai has all the valuable patents

every one of them is replaceable. hope they enjoy doing bullshit self reviews every six months

also what the gently caress did they need 700 employees for

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

By the way this troll position you're taking has a name, Value-Neutrality Thesis, and basically its the idea that technology is morally neutral on its own, and any worthwhile STEM college program will have a class where they try to teach you why that's wrong. Anyway, if you want to read about why its poo poo you can try googling that (but good luck using google).

still waiting on Relevant Tangent's response

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol that the guy didn't understand that the company's nonprofit angle was bullshit

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

webcams for christ posted:

still waiting on Relevant Tangent's response

AI isn't the apocalypse and is in fact fine. Blaming the blood splattered hammer for all the deaths the maniac wielding it has caused is dumb.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mhmm a hammer and ai definitely similar and the same things

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mustached Demon posted:

Has an AI shot up an elementary school?

an ai told some guy to kill the queen of england with a crossbow

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ilyasut/status/1708263998464885164

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

alright AI is good now

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

is there any connection between these AI dictator worshippping dorks and the effective altruism dumbasses? I feel like they are the same flavor of dumb and overeducated, there must be some overlap

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

and the ai had the last laugh

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Maed posted:

is there any connection between these AI dictator worshippping dorks and the effective altruism dumbasses? I feel like they are the same flavor of dumb and overeducated, there must be some overlap

it didn't used to be, but today the venn diagram almost a circle, with just a handful of ideologue holdouts on each fringe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Maed posted:

Different consistencies of poo poo, from the same rear end.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

apparently the GOP presidential candidate nobody wanted, Will Hurd, was on the OpenAI board for some reason??

he’s cia so that makes perfect sense

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

the ai was right, death to all monarchs

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

And we haven't even seen CitiGroup drop their layoffs yet, that's quite a red letter beginning for the week.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Maed posted:

is there any connection between these AI dictator worshippping dorks and the effective altruism dumbasses? I feel like they are the same kind of dumb, there must be some overlap

Emmett Shear, the incoming OpenAI CEO (to the extent the company still exists), is a big effective altruist!

apparently the effective altruists are skeptical of AI, not because it's wasteful or anything, but because they think it will go Skynet and kill everyone any day now

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Sam Altman also has allegations of sexual abuse against him from his younger sister and I've seen approx. 0 outlets reporting on it during all this "why did OpenAI decide to get rid of Sam Altman" stuff

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

effective altruism has very different roots, coming from moral philosophy departments vs AGI sycophants who were much more online, but the former got hijacked by the latter when they realized that you could use utilitarianism to argue that wealthy tech lords should be given infinite resources and power. all deeply unserious

arguing about the utils of mosquito nets vs medicine to prevent blindness was at least an actual, actionable moral dilemma that had to do with people alive today

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Maed posted:

yes they are the same people mostly

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Taylor Swift has some stuff to say about altruism

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://www.sfgate.com/cannabis/article/failed-california-cannabis-distributor-18496585.php

The biggest pot distributor in California has collapsed

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Vox Nihili posted:

Emmett Shear, the incoming OpenAI CEO (to the extent the company still exists), is a big effective altruist!

apparently the effective altruists are skeptical of AI, not because it's wasteful or anything, but because they think it will go Skynet and kill everyone any day now

EA people are tsundere for AI. They love the way it can oppress the proles, but also have to pretend to be really scared of it because it will kill humanity and therefore stopping it from doing so is the most effectively altruistic thing you can do, so let me keep my money so I can (pretend to) do that.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
it’s grimly funny to me that the war over AI is between the faction that is convinced it has created god and must fashion Him in our own image, and the faction that is convinced it has created a vengeful god who must be controlled

president xi please, my people are morons

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The fact that idiots like SBF were allowed to make nonsense arguments like "The potential future amount of people is infinite, therefore the further out a goal is and the less tangible good the actions towards that goal produces in the here and now, the more effectively altruistic it is." should immediately discredit the entire movement and anyone still talking about it should be tarred and feathered.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

are they still all doing business in cash because banks won't touch a federally scheduled substance?

fuckin HOW

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

don't the ones in New York have bank accounts? they accepted my visa card

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

are they still all doing business in cash because banks won't touch a federally scheduled substance?

fuckin HOW

These days they have bespoke weed banks that are willing to risk doing business with them

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
huh, interesting. in that case I guess just lmao at building a business model for a legalized substance based on its street price

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vox Nihili posted:

These days they have bespoke weed banks that are willing to risk doing business with them

Can those banks lend them money? The article stated that apparently a major reason for pot business failure is that nobody will give them a loan so it's miserable to manage cash flow.

Retailers can't pay distributors until the stuff has sold, distributors are stiffing growers.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Sam Altman also has allegations of sexual abuse against him from his younger sister and I've seen approx. 0 outlets reporting on it during all this "why did OpenAI decide to get rid of Sam Altman" stuff

I've been really weirded out about this too.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Can those banks lend them money? The article stated that apparently a major reason for pot business failure is that nobody will give them a loan so it's miserable to manage cash flow.

Retailers can't pay distributors until the stuff has sold, distributors are stiffing growers.

They can borrow money, yeah, but it's expensive. California also has a lending program where they give no-interest loans to some cannabis businesses.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Centrist Committee posted:

it’s grimly funny to me that the war over AI is between the faction that is convinced it has created god and must fashion Him in our own image, and the faction that is convinced it has created a vengeful god who must be controlled

president xi please, my people are morons

Xi please invent the shrike before the AI can or we'll all end up on the pain tree.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

huh, interesting. in that case I guess just lmao at building a business model for a legalized substance based on its street price

Street price is pretty low for weed now. It's easier to find gray market shops than otherwise in LA. Though my shop took away the 11gs for $70 deal, so economic doom has come to this unnamed shop in the valley. Seriously, I've been going for years and I don't even know what it's called.

Twerk from Home posted:

Pot businesses also don't have bankruptcy protections, so they can't collect on outstanding debts from businesses going under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

rap, energetic

Turns into Imagine Dragons pop chorus?

This is so loving cursed lmao