Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Flipflops aside... how do you stall a manual transmission on a mass produced modern car with less than 200 hp more than once in your lifetime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Fish Cake posted:

Joined the Miata crew this week with a '21 RF GT :toot:

This is my first manual, I've never driven stick before, I'm having a blast and stalling more than I'd like to admit
Congrats!

The MX5Things roof controller was a huge quality of life improvement for me, a fellow RF owner.

I also got his dongle that keeps the radio and accessories on when you turn the car off.

Center cubby shelf is also also a nice little accessory for organization.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Flipflops aside... how do you stall a manual transmission on a mass produced modern car with less than 200 hp more than once in your lifetime?

Why would you think a low horsepower car is harder to stall?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my stall count in this ride is 1 (due to me not understanding the hill hold when i first got it) but let's not cluck at people that aren't perfect mario andrettis at this stuff

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My last stall was because I was driving equally the family car automatic and the Miata and my brain thought I was in the automatic for just long enough to stall.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My Miata would probably be pretty easy to stall; it has a light clutch and I think a lightened flywheel. It gains and loses revs super quickly. But I haven’t yet, so I got that going for me.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Not helpful and weird logic.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cat Hatter posted:

Why would you think a low horsepower car is harder to stall?

Because the easy cure to stalling is to give it more gas, and with 200hp you're not exactly going to be out of control by giving it as much gas as is necessary to get it moving.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Because the easy cure to stalling is to give it more gas, and with 200hp you're not exactly going to be out of control by giving it as much gas as is necessary to get it moving.

But an engine with more low end torque is less likely to try and stall in the first place because it has an easier time just pushing the car forward. I learned to drive sick on a Corvette and yeah, you can get it to stall but you need to be a lot more careless with the clutch in the first place.

Then again, my first reaction to the engine stumbling is to push the clutch back in and start over instead of gunning it and hoping there's nobody in front of me.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cat Hatter posted:

But an engine with more low end torque is less likely to try and stall in the first place because it has an easier time just pushing the car forward. I learned to drive sick on a Corvette and yeah, you can get it to stall but you need to be a lot more careless with the clutch in the first place.

Then again, my first reaction to the engine stumbling is to push the clutch back in and start over instead of gunning it and hoping there's nobody in front of me.

I agree here. I had a C6 Vette a few years agoand it was impossible to stall. Zero throttle, dump the clutch, and the car lurched lightly forward and kept rolling. Even on an incline I couldn’t get it to stall.

Man I wish I still had that Vette.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Driving with flip flops isn't hard it's all in the technique, and if they're too big for your feet and catch on the floor mat then you just take em off and drive barefoot easy peasy lemon squeezy

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Driving with flip flops isn't hard it's all in the technique, and if they're too big for your feet and catch on the floor mat then you just take em off and drive barefoot easy peasy lemon squeezy

I do that too but I didn’t want to bring it up with all these aggro questions lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I live in Florida on the beach and spend lots of time on and around the beach. I rarely wear shoes lol.

As long as you're wearing the correct size flip flops it's never an issue

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
autocross nerds were gravitating towards boxing shoes last i checked, if you want to get really dorky about it

I have to pay really close attention to what shoes i wear when i hop in; if i'm not in my cloudfoam sneaks the pedals are 'too close' to me and i gotta kick the seat back a notch. Not one extra millimeter in these things, i swear!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’ve tried actual driving shoes, and boxing shoes are similar. Converse are my go-to for everything, including autocross.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Fish Cake posted:

Joined the Miata crew this week with a '21 RF GT :toot:

This is my first manual, I've never driven stick before, I'm having a blast and stalling more than I'd like to admit

Hell yeah this owns OP!

Man I really want an RF

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I got some Puma Speedcats for longer drives and autocross, I like em

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was at the WRC Central European rally and some hero is running a Fiata

They weren't... doing great but they're trying :3:

Eyud posted:

I got some Puma Speedcats for longer drives and autocross, I like em
:same:

I feel like I look a bit dorky in them outside the car but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Though tbh any light, compact shoe works fine. Dress shoes or boots not so great. The sole on Yeezies doesn't fit between clutch pedal and the wall so I can't use the dead pedal comfortably. Also feel super dorky.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TheBacon posted:

Man I really want an RF

i get that it's NoT A CoNveRtiBle and some people really want the ragtop vibes, but as soon as i saw the RF pics i knew that i wanted one, and i am not sorry for my purchase. I call it my baby ferrari. it's so god damned cool and fun and nice looking. Also a lot harder to get plunked in a casket from than a real supercar.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jonny 290 posted:

i get that it's NoT A CoNveRtiBle and some people really want the ragtop vibes, but as soon as i saw the RF pics i knew that i wanted one, and i am not sorry for my purchase. I call it my baby ferrari. it's so god damned cool and fun and nice looking. Also a lot harder to get plunked in a casket from than a real supercar.

I had an NA for a year and it’s wet way too much in Seattle for a compromised soft top. I also have weird security anxiety about someone slashing it, also the cost of that.

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof
I think the side profile of the RF is just hands down better looking than the softtop and was willing to make compromises regarding weight and wind buffeting to look cool

Regarding stall chat: you have to understand that I am very stupid

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
ND Model: In case anyone else has finds themselves in the same circumstance as me (enjoys track but can't legally get buckets or a roll bar due to cost or specifically for Australians - draconian car modding laws) - there's a fujimura harness bracket you can get for a hundred bucks that allows you to mount a four point harness on the stock seat.

The cool thing is, if you're an idiot willing to risk damaging your seat, turns out you can absolutely just remove the stitching on the seat headrest pass through mesh and have the harness straps pass right through - pic attached. I'll need to put a daub of super glue on some threads to make sure nothing splits (and somehow one of my headrest call/navigation speakers stopped working at the same time - no idea), but it's workable!

Hopefully this will reduce the amount of being thrown around in the cabin that I got prior - semi slicks, firm coilovers/sways and a factory three point is a rough combo for long track days!

https://www.rhdjapan.com/fujimura-auto-4-point-seat-belt-harness-anchor-right-hand-side-roadster-nd5rc.html

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 31, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Second round of supplemental payouts went through

+ a 1k deductible

IN case you were thinking about leaving your RF outside during a hail storm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hail Mary, full of grace, the shop is with me. Next week i show up at the shop like an annoying rear end in a top hat with a paint thickness gauge and one of those PDR light and crosshatch reflector things to make sure they didn't gently caress up my Child. And then i get my car back, and never again will it see a hailstone.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
In my experience if the body shop says it'll be ready next week you should have it by Valentine's day. Good luck!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah i trust em to a reasonable degree, we had a Talk about that. i already waited three months for this appointment. If i'm wrong, oh well, nbd, winter anyways.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
What are folks using for floor jacks for their NDs?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

reversefungi posted:

What are folks using for floor jacks for their NDs?

The cheap race/low profile harbour freight one. Someone (I think flyin miata?) makes a puck you can put in that fits the frame rails.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have the Daytona low profile one from Harbor Freight too and it can get under my nd.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

phosdex posted:

I have the Daytona low profile one from Harbor Freight too and it can get under my nd.

I LOVE my low-pro blue Daytona but it can’t get under my NC in its current state. The Jack is about 1/2” too tall (obviously not the jack’s failing). I just drive the front onto 2x4 sections and it’s no problem though.

Yes, I have procured the correct spanner wrenches from Bilstein to adjust them, why do you ask?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

Ether Frenzy posted:

In my experience if the body shop says it'll be ready next week you should have it by Valentine's day. Good luck!

you're not wrong but they called me yesterday on due day " so those little plastic fake windows got cracked when we pried them off, we have new ones coming in tomorrow and it'll be ready friday"

i'm viciously curious to see why they had to get those off, considering that we both agreed that the buttress part of the roof assembly was 100% perfect and undamaged

lol if they just repainted the whole loving car

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

lol if they just repainted the whole loving car

they couldn't get it to match so they absolutely did lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if they have any leftovers i'm going to ask for it for touch-ups (or to maybe paint a bmx or something with it)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It is done.

They did such a good job. I can't believe that hood came primered. Skill.

Total damage $9,872.14

e: reference pics immediately post hail - spoilering for trauma

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 18, 2023

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof
Looks great, even if they had to gently caress up those plastic trim bits and repaint the whole car to do it (lol)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha yeah

But on the upside, i have no paint swirls any more, and one of those fake windows was slightly warped from idk somebody letting it sit under a magnifying glass or something. Now it's super flawless.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dang that's a real slick job, I'd be plenty happy with that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice! The body shop I take my cars to for the occasional bumper ding/rock chip fix use the exact same paint as the factory so everything comes out flawlessly, they can even replicate BMW orange peel to perfection.

Woof at that damage, that must have sucked.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
honestly i've survived so much trauma and stupid bullshit in the past 44 years that i just kinda shrugged and said "you're a dumbass for leaving the parking garage before the skies got clear, and now you're about to pay for it" and then i just put it in geico and the shop's hands and relaxed and told myself that eventually it'd be a pretty thing again. i'm proud of myself for being kind of chill about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Got a clunk on the back end of the NB so I've fired the parts cannon seeing as the majority of the parts currently on there are anything up to a quarter century old.

Shopping list was:

Adjustable upper control arms
Refurbed lower control arms
Powerflex road bushings for all of the above
HSD coilovers

At some point I want to swap out the rear subframe and I need to replace the crusty-rear end rear brace under there too but this is already more money than I really wanted to spent on this shitbox. So suspension wise the only thing that won't have been replaced on this car is the front upper control arms *edit: and rear anti-roll bar. All the braking components were swapped last year too. The car still looks like poo poo. FML.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 20, 2023