Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

No one's yet been able to combine the banality of door opening simulators with people screaming over voice chat before, so it's easy to see why this game is taking off.

Space Station 13 as AI is the ultimate experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

Star Control 2
Coming soon!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2645580/Free_Stars_The_UrQuan_Masters/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some controller stats from the latest Steam update.

There were over 3 Billion game sessions that included a controller in the past year
  • 60% Xbox controller
  • 27% PlayStation models
  • The remaining % is made up of Steam Deck, Switch Pro, and hundreds of other controller models

The same period four years ago (ending Nov 2019) had 990 Million controller sessions
  • 76% Xbox controllers
  • 19% PlayStation controllers
    During these four years, PlayStation controllers saw a 4x increase in sessions

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/3823053915988527062

The update is supposed to improve PlayStation controller support, making compatibility clearer, but I wonder if that also means Steam will switch input APIs automatically when it knows the game has native PlayStation support (which is particularly relevant for the DualSense’s haptics and adaptive triggers).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm curious if that's simply just sessions where a controller was plugged in vs actually being used to play the game.

My controller is pretty much always plugged in, except for when I need to charge my headset.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sab669 posted:

My controller is pretty much always plugged in, except for when I need to charge my headset.

Or the game vibrates my controller even though i'm using mouse/keyboard. :downs:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

Steam Input: Implemented a new, default mode for PS controllers where Steam Input will be enabled only in games without their own support for the device

Very nice. steam input can actually interfere with DS4/dualsense compatibility by overriding games with innate support for them and giving you xbox prompts or weird jumbled inputs, which means you have to manually turn it off for the games that support those controllers out of the box, and it sounds like steam will be smart enough to do that on its own now

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Space Station 13 as AI is the ultimate experience
AI is rouge.

How's that Space Station 14 going these days?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

Very nice. steam input can actually interfere with DS4/dualsense compatibility by overriding games with innate support for them and giving you xbox prompts or weird jumbled inputs, which means you have to manually turn it off for the games that support those controllers out of the box, and it sounds like steam will be smart enough to do that on its own now

that's the confirmation i was looking for, thanks

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack Trades posted:

I played a couple of missions of that and I found it to be the same uninteresting "center screen on enemies and hold the shoot button".
Maybe it gets better later but the first couple of hours were really boring.

I see that comment and raise it thusly : DIVE DIVE DIVE BWAAAARRRRROOOOOUUUUUURRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG

also there's a great over blown sense of distant epic space drama in fs2, do if you didn't get to that you haven't got what people like about it. And the nebula, and the music. Man, I think I have to play freespace again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Rinkles posted:

Some controller stats from the latest Steam update.

There were over 3 Billion game sessions that included a controller in the past year
  • 60% Xbox controller
  • 27% PlayStation models
  • The remaining % is made up of Steam Deck, Switch Pro, and hundreds of other controller models

The same period four years ago (ending Nov 2019) had 990 Million controller sessions
  • 76% Xbox controllers
  • 19% PlayStation controllers
    During these four years, PlayStation controllers saw a 4x increase in sessions

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/3823053915988527062

The update is supposed to improve PlayStation controller support, making compatibility clearer, but I wonder if that also means Steam will switch input APIs automatically when it knows the game has native PlayStation support (which is particularly relevant for the DualSense’s haptics and adaptive triggers).

I only have PS4 controllers, but 90% of games will default to XBox icons, and most of them won't even give me the option to change it to Playstation icons. I've seen some games that, on other peoples' PCs, they have options, but for me often the PS option is simply not available. I don't understand why this is... I've used XBox controllers and have put up with this long enough that it doesn't really matter, but it's still annoying, just because I only have PS4 controllers.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if my PC was sending data to Valve saying I was using XBox controllers, since Steam sure seems convinced I am.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

credburn posted:

I only have PS4 controllers, but 90% of games will default to XBox icons, and most of them won't even give me the option to change it to Playstation icons. I've seen some games that, on other peoples' PCs, they have options, but for me often the PS option is simply not available. I don't understand why this is... I've used XBox controllers and have put up with this long enough that it doesn't really matter, but it's still annoying, just because I only have PS4 controllers.

Well that's something I hope this update address (and if I understand correctly, it does). The issue was that Steam was presenting DualShocks as Xbox controllers to the games, which is what you want in most games because most don't have native DS support. But some do, and it seems now Steam will be smarter about that and only do the Xbox trick when necessary.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/P_etWv_PW3M

Against the Storm is exceedingly good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I saw that trailer earlier, definitely had me intrigued. Really like the art style.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Meh, all you do is click on things.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jack Trades posted:

Oh nice, I've been putting this off waiting for release, since it seemed they were adding new mechanics every few weeks in EA.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cool Dad posted:

Are there any heavily exploration based space games? I want to play Star Trek. Not like, actual Star Trek necessarily, but I want to explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations, preferably while managing a ship with a crew and stuff.

Approaching Infinity

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Meh, all you do is click on things.

New Thread Title?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Seems the update is a bit of WIP because some games that absolutely do have controller support say this

e.g., AC IV: Black Flag

And for non-Steam games using the "Disable Steam Input" option just kills controller support altogether even for games that should have DualShock support. (I haven't tested this with Steam games because I don't have any installed at moment with native DS4 support.)

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Seems the update is a bit of WIP because some games that absolutely do have controller support say this

e.g., AC IV: Black Flag

And for non-Steam games using the "Disable Steam Input" option just kills controller support altogether even for games that should have DualShock support. (I haven't tested this with Steam games because I don't have any installed at moment with native DS4 support.)

Could this be because Ubisoft never bothered to tell Steam what level of controller support that game has?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, I think some of them are "no dev response", so it defaults to worst-case in lieu of other info.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PowerBeard posted:

New Thread Title?

:hai:

e: wow okay streaming Elden Ring to the Deck from my PC works very well? I didn't expect it to for some reason. Huh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Portal 2 shows the right glyphs in menus, but in-game reverts to M+KB prompts.

Also I tried Riftbreaker which claims full DS4 support, but it still displayed Xbox buttons.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

HopperUK posted:

:hai:

e: wow okay streaming Elden Ring to the Deck from my PC works very well? I didn't expect it to for some reason. Huh

The real "holy gently caress" was streaming path-tracing Cyberpunk to it. It works great for me, and since it's rendering a 1280x800 window my 3070 can actually do path tracing at 60+ fps.

Streaming to the Deck is seriously half of my use case. I love this thing.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 20, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I see that comment and raise it thusly : DIVE DIVE DIVE BWAAAARRRRROOOOOUUUUUURRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG

also there's a great over blown sense of distant epic space drama in fs2, do if you didn't get to that you haven't got what people like about it. And the nebula, and the music. Man, I think I have to play freespace again.

What's the best way to play it these days?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is the sale starting tomorrow?

Orv
May 4, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

https://fsnebula.org/knossos/

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Broken Cog posted:

Oh nice, I've been putting this off waiting for release, since it seemed they were adding new mechanics every few weeks in EA.

Yeah, same here. Finally can take a proper crack at it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Shard posted:

Is the sale starting tomorrow?

looks like November 21-28

after the Halloween sale, I'm not expecting much

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wow. The devs for Star Wars: Empire at War just updated the game from 32 to 64-bit. Never expected that game to get anymore updates.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OhFunny posted:

Wow. The devs for Star Wars: Empire at War just updated the game from 32 to 64-bit. Never expected that game to get anymore updates.

Whoa that rules, I might have to pick that up. I haven't played it in forever.

Edit: It's $4 at gamebillet for the next 3 days :hellyeah:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 21, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bought the ur-quan masters off steam, and I swore it had voicing of the 3DO version in it. I just fired it up and it's the silent version. Maybe I hallucinated the whole thing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You can still get star control 2 / uqm for free here w/ voice acting: https://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

not to mention the superior 3DO soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjpAE_inNlE

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How’s the controller support? Wanna steam deck these

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played a few hours of the Rogue Trader beta today and it seems cool. Never played the tabletop version but it breaks free of the traditional CRPG mold in some neat ways. Like all the loot that you don't want to keep gets packaged together to form crates of cargo (e.g. crate of ranged weapons, crate of pharmaceuticals, etc) that you get to play a space trading game with (e.g. delivering full crates to merchants gets you rep bonuses, seemingly different prices at different locations, etc). It also gives you a free positioning turn at the start of every battle where you can move your characters into place but not attack, which helps a lot with the fairly common CRPG problem of encounters starting with your characters in inopportune positions. And it does a pretty good job of being turn-based x-com-esque combat where you often mow down hordes of enemies with your small squad.

There's a whole lot of the standard kind of Owlcat beta jank right now (missing cutscenes, buggy animations, unimplemented features, etc) which is usually fixed up in time for the full release so I wouldn't recommend going out of your way for the beta, but it seems like it's going to be an actually good WH40k CRPG when it comes out early next month and I'm excited :toot:

I haven't got to space combat or any of the colony management stuff yet, I appreciate and enjoy that Owlcat always throws in some mechanics to shake up the standard CRPG format but I hope they're better than the HoMM Crusade in WotR :argh: Also the environments (so far) are pretty boring and samey, but that will hopefully change as I get further and visit more planets.

e: It's also pretty funny because in contrast to most CRPGs, picking the dialog options where you berate everyone, call them idiots, kill them to punish them for making mistakes, etc. is the canonically correct moral stance to take. It does give you the option to be nice to people if you want though.

e2: Also unlike the pathfinder games, it's going to have co-op :toot:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 21, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FuzzySlippers posted:

there's a bunch of mods but iirc it's fairly streamlined, let's see... oh yeah, knossos

e: doh

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-04-freespace-2-knossos-mods-irl.html

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

OK yea I grabbed this and woops 6.5 hours went by like nothing.
Any idea if progress will be wiped for the 1.0 launch?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I played a few hours of the Rogue Trader beta today and it seems cool.

That sounds really neat. Love the idea of the positioning turn, that was always one of the goofiest/most gamey things about BG3/Divinity

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

OhFunny posted:

I've tried to get into this game like five different times since its launch, and every time I loving hate it. I don't understand it, I'm overwhelmed, and I put it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

credburn posted:

I've tried to get into this game like five different times since its launch, and every time I loving hate it. I don't understand it, I'm overwhelmed, and I put it away.

Ahem.

Acquire additional proficiency.