Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

A Buttery Pastry posted:

they still exist though.

that's probably the better distinction, since you can get to 100 episodes if you just keep going, but 22+ episode seasons actually require you to be able to churn out episodes

seems like animation has finally taken over that niche, with the end of the big bang theory and modern family

The 22 episode season on the production side was a special kind of hell. Good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Zisky posted:

The 22 episode season on the production side was a special kind of hell. Good riddance.

was always fun when productions ran out of money and got a freebie clips episode

'hey remember when THIS happened'

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Durf posted:

was always fun when productions ran out of money and got a freebie clips episode

'hey remember when THIS happened'

Are there still "bottle" episodes in the age of streaming and lower minimum per-season episode requirements?

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I can't recall seeing anything recently, besides Previously On recaps that can get long depending on the time between seasons

rewatching Stargate SG1 they disguised their clip episodes as plot refreshers, given that it was basically one big arch and they were operating in the scattered realm of syndication. I think X-Files did similar briefing room episodes.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I started watching Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix and it's fuckin weird, i guess I was expecting a much less straightforward story based on the description of the series Netflix gave. If you liked "Under The Silver Lake" I'd say give it a try because it scratches a very similar itch.

its good and only gets more out there as it goes on

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are there still "bottle" episodes in the age of streaming and lower minimum per-season episode requirements?

Can't think of any examples so far but I'm sure I've seen some. They still have their use of allowing one episode to be done very cheaply so the budget can be spent on another more important episode.

At a glance Bojack Horseman had one. The eulogy episode had minimal animation, with the main character talking in front of a static background for the entire episode.

Marenghi has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Nov 20, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eric Cantonese posted:

They had Fly in Breaking Bad, though that's over a decade old at this point.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They had Fly in Breaking Bad, though that's over a decade old at this point.

And that fell under the category of them running over budget and needing to cut costs.

Bottle episodes will always exist as long as tv is a financial endeavor.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

i liked Fly tho. bottle eps can be a good excuse to be creative within restrictions

compare that to poo poo like the TNG season 2 finale where they just filmed 3 people in a sicklab for 10 mins then played clips from the first two seasons. was also the final appearance of one character lol.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Durf posted:

i liked Fly tho. bottle eps can be a good excuse to be creative within restrictions
All TV shows should just be forced to have a Dogme 95 episode to save money.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Fly has, imo, Walt's best character moment when he's trying to imagine the perfect moment he could have died and left Skyler and the kids with a fortune but not be hated. He's got a great line -

quote:

I'm saying that I lived too long. You want them to actually miss you. You want their memories of you to be...but she just won't...she just won't understand. I mean, no matter how well I explain it, these days she just has this...this... I mean, I truly believe there exists some combination of words. There must exist certain words in a certain specific order that can explain all of this, but with her I just can't ever seem to find them.

I mean, if that ain't the distilled ethos of the Neoliberal order, lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"there must be some way to explain to these CHILDREN that this is all for their own good, that giving them Healthcare would be HURTING them, but they just won't listen!"

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Eric Cantonese posted:

Clip shows not so much, but yeah bottle episodes still happen. It's a great little breather to get to spend a whole episode on a stage.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I mean, if that ain't the distilled ethos of the Neoliberal order, lol

what

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

what

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

idk something about being budget constrained gave old trek its charm, and more eps means more opportunities to really go out-there or flesh out the characters

like imagine ds9 if it had ten eps a season, characters like quark/rom/nog/bashir/obrien would not be as memorable as they ended up being and we wouldnt get the goofy rear end moogie/grand nagus episodes

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

tristeham posted:

they've made a squid game reality tv show. it looks really sleazy

If you think that’s sleazy, you should see the ads they’re running for it on YouTube.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/nov/20/ridley-scott-napoleon-interviewee

I swear I didn't write this

They're right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
that's why i wanna know what they meant by "what", use your words lil poster

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

more like Midley Scott

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

its nonsense sorry

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

babypolis posted:

its nonsense sorry

okay thanks for that very good explanation

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

your welcome

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

babypolis posted:

your welcome

next time just use your thinking cap

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Let's make a Something Awful show.

What's the premise? Who are the main cast? When do we get cancelled and get a cult revival only to get cancelled again? What's the absolute most memorable scene everyone references?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

What's the absolute most memorable scene everyone references?

the final scene of the first season when Fragmaster opens Lowtax's office door and says "Okay, I'm in"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

the final scene of the first season when Fragmaster opens Lowtax's office door and says "Okay, I'm in"

An Emmy, sir. :golfclap:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

What's the premise? Who are the main cast? When do we get cancelled and get a cult revival only to get cancelled again? What's the absolute most memorable scene everyone references?

obviously a morning talk show on a public access tv channel that's been on for decades. people only watch for the accidentally swearing, violence, drug use, set falling down, or nudity. The show is most known for the many episodes where all the hosts are too hungover to come in so the camera operator will just film an empty couch for three hours, occasionally zooming in and out on poo poo when they're bored.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

The cancellation/revival arc is LF/ CSPAM obvi

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

I started watching Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix and it's fuckin weird, i guess I was expecting a much less straightforward story based on the description of the series Netflix gave. If you liked "Under The Silver Lake" I'd say give it a try because it scratches a very similar itch.

I thought it's like a Bret Easton Ellis-esque portrayal of LA, and was looking forward to other episodes (after watching the first one). But then it got more mystical and magical, and I noped out halfway through. Also I love Silver Lake, but think it's way more grounded, like an american take on Nouvelle Vague and Fellini films.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
now would actually be the perfect time to walk into a pitch meeting with like Netflix and say "I wanna do a mini-series about SomethingAwful.com and the downfall of its founder" because people love True Crime documentaries about weird guys who turn out to be pieces of poo poo

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

now would actually be the perfect time to walk into a pitch meeting with like Netflix and say "I wanna do a mini-series about SomethingAwful.com and the downfall of its founder" because people love True Crime documentaries about weird guys who turn out to be pieces of poo poo

Genuinely think this would get made.

Who has an agent or access to an exec we can bribe with sexual favours? If that Tiger King guy can get a show, so can we.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

trailer opens with "The internet.... makes you stupid."

queue Baba O'Riley soundtrack

culminate with Lowtax screaming and a rapid montage including Schmorky in a diaper and goons orgy in a tent, ending with a gunshot

written by Michael Lewis

starring Shia LaBeouf as Lowtax

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Durf posted:

trailer opens with "The internet.... makes you stupid."

queue Baba O'Riley soundtrack

culminate with Lowtax screaming and a rapid montage including Schmorky in a diaper and goons orgy in a tent, ending with a gunshot

written by Michael Lewis

starring Shia LaBeouf as Lowtax

that's actually great loving casting tho

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Martin Starr's Agent: Who the gently caress is Kevin "Fragmaster" Bowen?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

marketing promoting the schmorky character as a representation win before they get a chance to actually see the script

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

busalover posted:

I thought it's like a Bret Easton Ellis-esque portrayal of LA, and was looking forward to other episodes (after watching the first one). But then it got more mystical and magical, and I noped out halfway through. Also I love Silver Lake, but think it's way more grounded, like an american take on Nouvelle Vague and Fellini films.

Silver Lake is absolutely more grounded, I'm only two episodes in and it's already much more Magical than Silver Lake. But SL still has that element with the Owl's Kiss, it's just not as featured

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Phil Helmuth would be even better

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Will Poulter as Lowtax, unironically