Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I’m just giving up on tv

There's 2 non commercially owned public broadcasters in my country and I pretty much watch what pops up on them like it's 1995. Commercial networks for live sport only. If there's nothing on I read. Content is a bit like sugar, you cut back on it and over time your palate adjusts and it kind of loses its appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Jason's Deli no longer has unlimited salad bar. You only get one plate. So it's basically paying to make your own salad. They used COVID as an excuse but a bunch of people are just gonna load up their dirty plates instead of getting clean ones.

I have no reason to ever come back.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What drives me nuts is prime using a paid service to advertise for other paid services. There should be a 'never show me things I can't watch' option (lol).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

euphronius posted:

I’m just giving up on tv

:same:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Streaming has gotten so bad I've gone back to piracy as my main source of media, after years of not torrenting poo poo. These dumbdick media companies look at a golden goose and are like "hmmm but maybe we'll see an uptick in next quarter profits if we kill this thing oh woops nope". Make this poo poo work right, stop playing grabass with content availability, and gently caress straight off with these "ad-supported" tiers and I will happily pay a reasonable subscription fee.

I think someone else in this thread already mentioned it but Gaben was right, piracy is a service problem. But naw, lets ignore that fat gently caress that literally owns pc game distribution. Maybe instead we'll just stop producing blurays, that'll get people to sign up for D+ I'm sure.

It is completely nuts - There was this time period in the 2010s where I was pirating basically nothing. The services were were good, worked and not completely fragmented. Now, it's such a loving mess that despite having substantially more disposable income, I find myself pirating A LOT more just because actually getting that media is such a disaster. The death of bandcamp isn't helping this either.

euphronius posted:

I’m just giving up on tv

I would pay a sizable premium for a TV with a modern, good panel that had zero smart features. Your job is to consume HDMI / DP signals and flip them to a display as fast as possible and nothing else.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

There's 2 non commercially owned public broadcasters in my country and I pretty much watch what pops up on them like it's 1995. Commercial networks for live sport only. If there's nothing on I read. Content is a bit like sugar, you cut back on it and over time your palate adjusts and it kind of loses its appeal.

Frankly the people who think that infinite entertainment for :10bux: a month is remotely sustainable remind me of this:

The whole entertainment and tech industries are built on hyper-exploitation of artists, the Global South, and the natural world and a society that needs 8 hours of "media" per person per day to distract them from the fact nobody has a social life anymore is a garbage hellhole that cannot collapse fast enough.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 20, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A recent Adam savage video just mentioned that hour long episodes are edited down to 40:30 content (including title, bumpers, credits) with 19:30 of ads each hour, I had no idea the ratio had been pushed that far lol

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

A recent Adam savage video just mentioned that hour long episodes are edited down to 40:30 content (including title, bumpers, credits) with 19:30 of ads each hour, I had no idea the ratio had been pushed that far lol

That is just slightly more than Babylon 5, which ran almost 30 years ago.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The last hour of movies on like TNT or similar are probably 50 mins of ads

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I got a free trial of apple+ 6 months ago. I can't cancel it via the website, I have to install iTunes to do it on my PC. What a trash company

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Frankly the people who think that infinite entertainment for :10bux: a month is remotely sustainable remind me of this:

The whole entertainment and tech industries are built on hyper-exploitation of artists, the Global South, and the natural world and a society that needs 8 hours of "media" per person per day to distract them from the fact nobody has a social life anymore is a garbage hellhole that cannot collapse fast enough.

That's nice but artists aren't people and I will continue to consume everything.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Woolie Wool posted:

There's this certain type of person that wants every device and everything in the world to be a white or metal box with a screen on it that does magic stuff and fixes complicated problems simply with magic.

I hate all of them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GolfHole posted:

having an app (and subsequently a centralized database) for medical records is a stepping stone from the lovely world we live in now to a much, much, much better world where medical research is pooled, analyzed, and handled with a holistic and allied approach across all modalities.

it's the original purpose/intention of blockchain technology.

it is imperative to progress.

of course CVS should not be loving leading that charge.
but eschewing good apps just because of app fatigue is problematic. we need centralized medical records.

Wow, it takes effort to be this dumb and wrong

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

StrangersInTheNight posted:

someone brought up Wish, the new Disney movie in another thread - and how it's a centennial movie, and it got me thinking how depressing it is that media properties are getting so entrenched they have giant anniversary celebrations. May the 4th be with you. Ghostbusters Day. whyyyyy.

Yeah, I was just thinking about how this era is going to be remembered as a great stagnation.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
This mfer thinks things will get better!!! lmao

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Woolie Wool posted:

lol why even have one, there aren't any good TV shows or movies anymore anyway, I just enjoy old stuff now, old prog rock music, old video games, old movies that were shot on film with practical erfects. It's all easy to find as :filez: too

Yeah, this is the only way I watch anything anymore.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Woolie Wool posted:

nerds are actually the bad guys

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The self-service checkout area at my supermarket now has barriers that won't let you out until you scan your receipt

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bitterandtwisted posted:

The self-service checkout area at my supermarket now has barriers that won't let you out until you scan your receipt

Lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bitterandtwisted posted:

The one at the closest store to me has just shrunk to 6 stations and is staffed by an attendant and 3 security guards. They stop staffing the other chrckout lanes around 4pm.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

MrQwerty posted:

The one at the closest store to me has just shrunk to 6 stations and is staffed by an attendant and 3 security guards. They stop staffing the other chrckout lanes around 4pm.

I was at a home depot a bit ago that had employees checking people out through the self checkout because there were lines halfway to the back of the store. No, of course they didn't have any actual checkout lanes open because those have all been permanently removed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

God bless my tiny grocery store, doesn't have the space for self checkout. And magically, the lines are well staffed and even when busy you move pretty fast. Good operation.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

My self-checkout has two assistants and a designated security guard and for the life of me I cannot fathom how that is cheaper or more efficient than just staffing three regular checkout registers. Especially when you factor in how much poo poo people are stealing at the self-checkout.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

last week I finished paying at the self-service and noticed I'd missed a lime at the bottom of the basket. Rather than go through the whole self-service process again for one lime I slipped it into my bag without paying. I've been in hiding ever since.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t imagine using self checkout with like > $200 of groceries

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
I keep seeing articles on my various feeds about businesses realizing self checkout is a disaster and reversing course. Hopefully they're some truth there but I imagine they'll come up with something even worse.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Skeleton crewed self check stores are just the ali express drop shippers of the grocery world, and they should all be shuttered

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
No matter how staffed or understaffed a self checkout is I haven’t paid for a greeting card in like 8 years and I don’t plan to start

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are like $10 now so good

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah I looked at the price of one the other day and felt very justified

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

erosion posted:

I keep seeing articles on my various feeds about businesses realizing self checkout is a disaster and reversing course. Hopefully they're some truth there but I imagine they'll come up with something even worse.

Man I hope so. They phased out the "scan all your items as you shop" handheld deal real quick. I assume people just stole them all.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

erosion posted:

I found a grocery store that has wide aisles and staffed checkouts. It's amazing. Feels like luxury grocery shopping. It's a bit out of the way, but I go there often.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds
If self checkouts had baggers I wouldn't hate them but, now that I think about it, I haven't seen a bagger outside a NYC Key Foods in years...

In other news: Are all screws used in consumer electronics made of painted tissue paper suddenly? No matter how light a touch I try to use when opening something to put in new batteries the drive immediately crumbles. It's now easier to just throw out the goddamn cat toy or whatever once the batteries run our then to become infuriated wrestling with a stripped head.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
When my Costco put in self check-outs, it worked alright to begin with - the staffed check-outs are always jammed so it was nice if I had only a few things to purchase. But then Costco found out that people were loaning out their membership cards to other people so they could shop there, and that absolutely cannot happen, so they waste a FTE just standing there to look at your membership card and do a spot-check before letting you get in-line for the self check-out. Which, of course, jams up the line to the self check-out and extinguishes any of the value added by including them.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

shazbot posted:

Man I hope so. They phased out the "scan all your items as you shop" handheld deal real quick. I assume people just stole them all.

My regional grocery store chain just has a phone app for that, it's pretty great. Makes checkout very quick

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How much do they pay or reimburse you for scanning everything

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
They pay you in savings!

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

euphronius posted:

How much do they pay or reimburse you for scanning everything

They pass the savings on to you! This must be why food is only twice as expensive as last year instead of three times as expensive

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like on principle I almost never bag my own groceries. Because the idea of spending 200 bucks at a place and then doing work for it seems absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've noticed that Americans seem very down on the concept of self-checkouts, people mostly accept them in the UK? Personally, I can live with their quirks and annoyances, as it eliminates the much bigger annoyance of putting all your stuff down on the conveyer, then the person in front of you turns out to be a moron or troublemaker that holds the line up forever and you're trapped there now 'cos you've already put your stuff down.