Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bawk posted:

That's interesting, but I thought there was a 20 or 21-item limit before it capped out?

Just for building, I think those are just arranged really precisely without the magic goop holding them togetherness. It's a fun idea, I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

bawk posted:

That's interesting, but I thought there was a 20 or 21-item limit before it capped out?

The game can definitely handle a lot of loose items as long as they aren't being gooped. See the waterfall ice block trick.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Meat Link, meet Link.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

TL posted:

Meat Link, meet Link.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

holy poo poo

https://x.com/bre_Neko/status/1721115331614388501?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Imagine what we’ll still be seeing like five years from now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Finally picked up TotK, what are some good early game tips and tricks that people have discovered?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Finally picked up TotK, what are some good early game tips and tricks that people have discovered?

Once you jump down from noobie island immediately do the main plot until you investigate the castle and get your first sky tower activated. After that go hog wild if you want but honestly just follow their suggestions to go check out Hebra and Rito village as your first dungeon.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Follow the main quest until you have the glider. It will the first settlement after the tutorial section.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Unlike BOTW there is no shortage of weapons thanks to your ability to fuse any poo poo you find together, so don’t bother trying to save weapons up like a precious resource. Go hog wild, fuse random poo poo together as experiments

Except maybe arrows. Throw stuff instead of making fused arrows as much as you can, save those for combat or things that are farther than you can throw

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Smash all boxes, get all the arrows. You can just pick them up and drop them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cool. Are there any bonuses for having botw save data?

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Your horses are available somewhere (maybe in the wild), but that's about it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Regarding main story quests, if you're following along the game-recommended path, after you get the first town, but before you head off toward the Rito area, you'll get a quest with Impa to study a geoglyph. After that, she'll have you head to a place where you'll see murals surrounding a map. One of the murals will depict the geoglyph you've already studied. Take pictures of the murals, starting at the one you visited, and moving clockwise around the circle, then take a picture of the map. Hold off on doing the rest of that specific quest line until you've gotten at least a couple of the regional thingos out of the way. When you revisit it, start at the geoglyph you first did, and do the rest in that same clockwise order.

you'll get the ability to upgrade your armors as you play. Don't bother upgrading all of them all the way. In fact, don't upgrade most of them at all. There's a number of sets that gain an additional set bonus once you upgrade them to level 2, and the most useful ones are pretty easy to upgrade to that point. The climbing set for the stamina discount and climbing speed, froggy set for climbing up slick surfaces, the goron/zora/rito/rubber armors for elemental resistances, the diving suit for fall damage negation, and one of the attack-up sets. The only armor I'd say to upgrade to level 4 is the soldier's armor, for straight-up defense stats. Do this at your discretion though, because once you get that stuff maxed out, you don't tend to get hit for more than 1/4 heart anymore. For some people, that's a turn off. YMMV. There's also armor that will help you blend in with the Yiga, and makes it so they don't randomly attack you as you're walking around, though that one doesn't need to be upgraded for that effect. Generally, beyond that, most armors don't need to be upgraded at all.

If you ever find yourself low on rupies, feel free to sell poo poo. You'll pick up absolutely massive amounts of some things as you play. My general rule of thumb was that if I needed cash, I'd sell anything I had over 100 of, back down to 100 of that item. For gems, I'd sell down to 10, and only to the gerudo lady who buys them in Goron City. I obsessively pick up everything I run across, and I've sold 3 batches of 899 brightbloom seeds now, which just gives me oodles of cash each time. You'll also find a way to gather poes, which can be traded for extra pieces of armor, which you can resell for 600 rupies a pop.

As for combat, you're gonna be playing Dark Souls for the first while. Learn to avoid combat unless you need to engage in it until you've got some hearts under your belt. A ton of things will 1-shot you, so make your life easier by not getting hit in the first place. Learn to throw things instead of fusing stuff to arrows all the time. Use elemental stuff against your foes. Opposing elements defeat each other, so a fire item used against an ice enemy will just plain erase it from the fight. Use muddle buds to confuse the strongest enemy in a group into fighting the rest of them. They still drop loot all the same. Use puffshrooms as a smoke bomb to run behind enemies for free sneak attacks. You can generally get 2-3 of them in before the cloud dissipates.

If at any point, you think to yourself "I wonder if I can do X and it'll work", odds are yes you can, and yes it will. Try everything and anything. Some seriously outlandish poo poo will absolutely fly in this game, and it's one of the best parts of it.

Use ultrahand to stick crates together on a flat surface, then lift them up and drop them so multiple crates hit the ground and shatter at the same time.

Once you find the autobuild ability, ultrahand like 15 red apples and 5 golden apples together into a pile, and save that in your favorites. When you find an apple orchard, whip out that build, and wave it around the apples to hoover them up. Don't hit the build button though, instead cancel it, and the apples will drop at your feet. Also, drop a pile of not-more-than 20 apples into a bonfire or in any hot area to light them on fire and then roast them, then pick them up. They'll stack into 1 food slot in your menu, and heal more than raw apples. Any more than 20 and they'll start to despawn. Some other singular food items will do this as well, but combine the two and you'll always be able to heal.

I had more, but I lost my train of thought, and oh hey, that enemy camp looks like a fun time.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Some of the less obvious fusions are very useful to discover early on. I'll use spoiler tags in case you'd rather experiment.

For crossing water fusing ice to a weapon is super useful. Swinging it makes more ice and you can almost run across while doing it
(Edit: by fusing ice, I mean fusing a literal sheet of ice of the kind that floats in the water after you for instance toss an ice fruit into it

Shield surfing is very useful and fusing frozen meat to one is good for it

For dealing with cold/warm weather elemental keese wings are plentiful and work just as well as more precious items. Just fuse one to a shield. Good for combat and burning/freezing without throwing consumables too. It's just too bad picking up an item has priority over swinging your shield, so you can't make a campfire or roast food with it

Luff fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 20, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Also, stick something hammer-y to your shield and you can shield bash ore outcrops instead of wearing out weapons.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The "Gleeok Avoidance" club chat (which I was also in) made me think how disappointed I am with the announced lack of DLC.

I think there are in-game avenues to explore that could satisfy both "battlers" vs "builders". Even though I appreciate the "battlers" mentality to the degree that I saw my frustration with BOTW Master Sword DLC as a great training ground for getting better at combat, one of the most fun evenings I had with TOTK was coming up with a hoverstone+construct-heads+beam-emitter build against the Hebra Lynel. I spent like 4 hours on it. I used that build from that point onward to take down Gleeoks and other Lynels.

I'm kind of envisioning some kind of DLC to rate you on fighting enemies with either combat or builds (i.e., more points for more efficient use of devices instead of using autobuild everytime). I'm not sure what they could enhance (bigger battery pack?) or add (a new set of Zonai devices) but I think something as "stupid" as the Team Fortress 2 "enhancements" of hats and slightly/stupidly modified armor and weapons could be enough.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cheesus posted:

I'm not sure what they could enhance (bigger battery pack?) or add (a new set of Zonai devices) but I think something as "stupid" as the Team Fortress 2 "enhancements" of hats and slightly/stupidly modified armor and weapons could be enough.

Zonaite paint would be pretty sick, to make your autobuilds not just all green.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Finally beat the game, really cool and satisfying final boss fight and follow up cutscenes. I loved how (final boss) Ganondorf's blasts permanently sapped your health, that was a cool mechanical element that I didn't expect and had me pretty worried by the end. The battle in the sky was also cool, the way Zelda's dragon kept grabbing you was well done and seamless. The callback to the intro with Zelda falling and Link reaching out was a great Full Circle moment too.

Some overall critiques on the plot and setpieces in this game:
Nothing in the game comes close to the Rito temple and boss, imo. From the climb up through the storm on the flying ships, to the boss itself with the skydiving battle mechanic, it changed what I thought was possible within this physics engine in terms of spectacle and action without noticeably cheating with scripting. And it felt incredibly epic, the jumping sequence up through the blizzard and the soaring Dragon Roost theme at the boss had my jaw on the floor.

That was the first dungeon I did, it set the bar really high and I don't think any of the other setpieces reached that level. I was especially disappointed that the descent to Ganondorf, while it had cool music, was just kind of another set of caves where you fight some tough enemies that you've been fighting for most of the game already.

I also wish they had used the villain more. It was cool to have Ganondorf back, the opening sequence was eerie with a lot of promise, and then he falls down the hole and... Is just down there for the entire game until you're ready to fight him. His design is great and he has a great intimidating presence when you do encounter him so it's a bummer that he's barely utilized.

Lastly, while this isn't the game's fault, I did the exact same thing I did with Breath of the Wild, by expecting the game to reveal something interesting going on with the plot for the entire playthrough until getting to the end and realizing no, that's it. I kept hoping the stuff around the Zonai would have some reveal, with their ominous green swirls and backwards sound and the creepy masks the sages wear. But no it's just kind of a weird aesthetic.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I think I waited too long to finish the main quest. By the time I got there, I had enough hearts and upgraded armor that, even though I felt like I did a piss poor job in the final fight, his hits just didn't really affect me much. I didn't successfully parry or dodge, I just soaked up every hit and stood there hacking away at him.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The one thing I wish I'd saved is soldier and captain construct parts. Fusing them to Zonaite weapons gives you a bonus, so it's tempting but it sucks farming them later. But, you can get the same bonus by fusing Zonaite weapons to Zonaite weapons.

Lizaflos tails are kinda rare, so ignore the tip about using them for weapons.

You can get sapphires and rubies easily by killing Wizrobes with a piece of fruit and defusing their weapons using the guy in Tarrey town.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The fusion system rules, but I think it was a huge mistake to make weapon fusion parts overlap with armor upgrade parts. It made me feel less free to use a lot of cool enemy horns, lizal tails, etc because you need so many for armor upgrades. They should have had the horns, tails, and other cool weapon stuff distinct and kept guts and other parts for armor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I don’t think the overlap is the problem so much as the insane amount needed to upgrade armor

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

On top of all the other great tips I would say that the game mostly just isn’t that hard. If something seems very challenging or is taking forever, you might be doing it wrong. Progressing the main quest til you get the glider rather than immediately running off in search of adventure falls into this category.

It’s possible to get into some (all?) of the main story temples without doing the pre quest for each one. If you do this however the temple will be impossible to complete, which might not be apparent until you’ve spent quite a lot of time in there. I did this by accident with the first temple the game nudges you toward, somehow missing a heavily signposted quest and beating my head against an impossible puzzle for like 2 hours lol.

Tender Bender posted:

The fusion system rules, but I think it was a huge mistake to make weapon fusion parts overlap with armor upgrade parts. It made me feel less free to use a lot of cool enemy horns, lizal tails, etc because you need so many for armor upgrades. They should have had the horns, tails, and other cool weapon stuff distinct and kept guts and other parts for armor.

My 7 year old son has been playing a lot and he’s always frustrated that he can’t upgrade his armor. My man you are constantly fusing all of the good poo poo to stalfos arms that break in two hits or just throwing them at monsters for laughs. It is not a mystery why we have no spare parts

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

When you see those plinths with Pristine Weapons in the depths?

Always be climbing them and Ultrahanding those crap weapons out of the ghost soldier hands.

Because the way to get them to produce Pristine Other Weapons is to have a Blood Moon respawn it from the same category of weapon, of a type you have already broken, in an appropriate location. (E.g. A plinth under Zora's domain that held a Pristine Traveller's Claymore can respawn a Pristine Zora Longsword, as long as you've broken at least one regular Zora Longsword during gameplay. I think you can also savescum these, but I've never gotten it to successfully work.)

fatsleepycat posted:

Your horses are available somewhere (maybe in the wild), but that's about it.

They're still checked into the stables.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay let’s stop giving tips

Part of the magic of TOTK is bumbling around cluelessly

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It'd be nice if you could use higher-tier monster parts as substitutes for lower ones since they appear less and less as you progress.

Amber Earrings and/or Soldier Armor kinda turns on the easy switch. Just tank all hits and turn every hearty radish and truffle into a full-recovery+temp hearts meal.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

100% fair. Although I have no regrets nudging someone away from a couple mistakes that were so un-fun for me I almost dropped one of the best games of all time before it hit its stride

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The decision to have you get the paraglider after leaving the tutorial island was absolutely a major mistake imo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The decision to have you get the paraglider after leaving the tutorial island was absolutely a major mistake imo

The moment after I left the sky island I looked at Lookout Landing and thought naaaah and hosed off the main quest to go find my destiny on the open road

For several days I wondered when I would get the paraglider and then I started wondering if maybe they left it out of the game and intended other mechanics to take its place

I wasn’t angry about it when I realized the glider was waiting for me right there, I thought it was funny that the game’s encouragement of exploring unexpectedly subverted the intended path

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

The moment after I left the sky island I looked at Lookout Landing and thought naaaah and hosed off the main quest to go find my destiny on the open road

For several days I wondered when I would get the paraglider and then I started wondering if maybe they left it out of the game and intended other mechanics to take its place

I wasn’t angry about it when I realized the glider was waiting for me right there, I thought it was funny that the game’s encouragement of exploring unexpectedly subverted the intended path

I know I've posted this before but the first thing I encountered after landing was some dude telling me to go check out weird poo poo in Kakariko Villiage. So I tried to do that. Turns out if you don't do the next couple story quests, especially as a brand new player, ToTK is basically a survival horror game with a massive blacked out map and no fast travel and I had a very bad time. Don't be like me. Follow the goddamn signs.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
personally i wish that you could activate the sky towers WITHOUT getting the glider, if only so i could do a dumb gliderless challenge run

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

personally i wish that you could activate the sky towers WITHOUT getting the glider, if only so i could do a dumb gliderless challenge run

This would own lol. "hmm what happens if I activate this thin--OH NOOOOOOOO"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I was so pissed off that the thing Zelda left me was the Purah Pad. I was fully expecting the glider.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You needed to fall without the glider because they wanted a captivating moment to show that falling was survivable. Also if you had the glider when you left the sky island you’d wander far away from the lake and hit the ground like a bag of bricks

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Steve Yun posted:

It's weird how after Lookout Landing, so many of us went west to Rito instead of the obviously intended East to the Zora.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cheesus posted:

It's weird how after Lookout Landing, so many of us went west to Rito instead of the obviously intended East to the Zora.

Nah, you're steered to the Rito first and both Hestu and the first geoglyph are on the way, as well as the Lucky Clover for sticky suit news quests.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/s7vkSDD.mp4

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Steve Yun posted:

Nah, it's shown that you dorks need a little guidance to start out with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Blaziken386 posted:

You don’t need to activate any towers to beat the game; there’s nothing stopping you from that challenge run, and you might be surprised at just how much of the game is possible without the glider.