Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It's definitely not specifically targeting Firefox -- I use Vivaldi for youtube and was getting those delays the last 2 days. Not seeing it now.

The bit I really want to know is, did you still get that delay if you don't have adblock? I just tried looking at youtube with firefox both with and without ublock turned on, but didn't see the delay either way.

lol and lmao that google is resorting to something so brain-dead as loving around with user-agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just noticed that Firefox Beta for android now allows searching a much bigger pool of extensions

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

It's definitely not specifically targeting Firefox -- I use Vivaldi for youtube and was getting those delays the last 2 days. Not seeing it now.

You're right. More from the readdit threads suggests it's ad related, the lovely behaviour is merely a side effect.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/co...hare&utm_term=1

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just noticed that Firefox Beta for android now allows searching a much bigger pool of extensions

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2023/11/01/is-your-extension-ready-for-firefox-for-android/

They are rolling out additional addons in preparation for fully opening up the ecosystem in December.

quote:

During the release cycle of Firefox 120, we’ll begin to see the emergence of dozens of new, openly available extensions on Firefox for Android on addons.mozilla.org (AMO). We’re taking a steady approach to opening up the mobile extension ecosystem to ensure Firefox for Android maintains strong performance standards while a vast new array of extensions are utilized for the first time in a mobile environment. If testing continues to progress well, we anticipate unveiling a fully open Firefox for Android extension ecosystem sometime in December.

Only a month or two left before the floodgates open and you get to nuke your phone battery with crappy scam adblockers.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Finished migrating to Firefox ahead of Google's big adblock kneecapping next year.

Managing search engines is an enormous pain in the dick, but everything else seems to work pretty well. It is a browser

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm giving Floorp a shot, which is built on Firefox's ESR stream. The defaults privacy defaults don't cripple the usecase like Librewolf does and it's got the Vivaldi sidebars if that's your jam (you can turn them off if you don't like 'em). I like it so far. Might switch off Brave for it.

Still mind-boggling that Firefox doesn't support PWA's for anything other than windows though.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Floorp

astral
Apr 26, 2004

quote:

security updates will be provided before Firefox release

Bold claim.

also

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
BetterFox is a great starting point for user.js stuff.

No breakage compared to arkenfox/Librewolf where I had quite a few issues.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Instant Grat posted:

It is a browser
This should be Firefox's new slogan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

101 posted:

BetterFox is a great starting point for user.js stuff.

No breakage compared to arkenfox/Librewolf where I had quite a few issues.

Yeah, I saw that Floorp has a page where you can apply the various betterfox configs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nitrousoxide posted:

Now is there any way to have the android version load desktop versions of sites by default?

I hate having to manually select it every time I reopen a site on my tablet or phone.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

A well balanced Floorp

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Yokoffing sounds like a euphemism for something but I don't know what.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

isndl posted:

Yokoffing sounds like a euphemism for something but I don't know what.

Offing Yoko Ono

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

This should be Firefox's new slogan.

unironically yeah, lmao

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I ate extra fiber bran flakes every morning for a while, and let me tell you, I was yokoffing some real well balanced floorps. Twice a day, like clockwork.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Geemer posted:

They've been caught doing that poo poo before, multiple times.

If MS can be believed, one of the major reasons for them changing edge to chrome was google purposefully breaking youtube.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

~Coxy posted:

If MS can be believed, one of the major reasons for them changing edge to chrome was google purposefully breaking youtube.

Seems like that should be a great reason to take them to court and dunk on them instead.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apparently the five second delay was a timeout from them detecting your adblocker by attempting to play a fake ad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Inceltown posted:

Seems like that should be a great reason to take them to court and dunk on them instead.

But then youtube would reveal microsoft's skeletons.

Mutually assured destruction of horrible companies.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I really want to like Floorp but it fails to load SALR about a third of the time and it's a bit concerning if addons aren't working correctly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm giving Floorp a shot, which is built on Firefox's ESR stream. The defaults privacy defaults don't cripple the usecase like Librewolf does and it's got the Vivaldi sidebars if that's your jam (you can turn them off if you don't like 'em). I like it so far. Might switch off Brave for it.

Still mind-boggling that Firefox doesn't support PWA's for anything other than windows though.

What's wrong with librewolf? I haven't used it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You can configure it but the defaults are super extreme.

Out of the box it basically resets itself every time you close it. No cookies or passwords or history kept whatsoever

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i know a few normie, non-computer-toucher folks who use their browsers that way and insist it's the best way to surf

also a couple paranoid freaks who do know how to use all the goodies of history and how much it improves your browsing experience, but refuse to lol

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Inceltown posted:

I really want to like Floorp but it fails to load SALR about a third of the time and it's a bit concerning if addons aren't working correctly.

Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Firefox - I really want to like Floorp, but

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The defaults make a lot of the internet basically unusable, and you'll spend a ton of time relogging into everything (or janitoring all the sites you whitelist to keep cookies)

Waterfox is another firefox fork that's got more sane defaults while cutting out Mozilla's cruft. I don't think anyone has found anything objectionable with either Librewolf, Waterfox, or Floorp from a security standpoint. But if any of them can't keep up with Firefox release cadence then that becomes a security issue.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

101 posted:

You can configure it but the defaults are super extreme.

Out of the box it basically resets itself every time you close it. No cookies or passwords or history kept whatsoever

Thanks. Also: :stonk:

Lol floorp

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That sounds very similar to using a Firefox private window to surf?

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
Mozilla actually has a Firefox off shoot called Firefox Focus for mobile that does exactly that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

everwake posted:

Mozilla actually has a Firefox off shoot called Firefox Focus for mobile that does exactly that.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. It sounds like an anti-feature for daily use, and private mode covers the exceptions ... but I'm sure it's useful for someone?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's a good idea if you just need a viewer for random links you encounter on forums and the like. You can then choose to push it through to the regular Firefox if that seems useful. With the way default app/browser selection works on Android it's actually useful that it's another app entirely. But then they went with not allowing add-ons in it and like hell that I'm going to rely on ad blocking other than ublock origin for my first exposure to random sites.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I use Awesome wm and have set my default text size to 150% because the 'normal' size is extremely small in Awesome. At night, though, I like to up the text size on certain web pages - SA included - to 190% so that they're easier on the eyes. Is there a way for this process to be automated with a script of some kind in Firefox?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Started using Firefox again after like 12 years of Chrome just because I realized I could have adblock on my phone that way, and decided to go all in and import everything over on my PC too.

Dear god reading the forums on my phone is terrible though, it's so tiny. If I try to adjust the size of the text it throws the formatting of the forums off, though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Framboise posted:

Started using Firefox again after like 12 years of Chrome just because I realized I could have adblock on my phone that way, and decided to go all in and import everything over on my PC too.

Dear god reading the forums on my phone is terrible though, it's so tiny. If I try to adjust the size of the text it throws the formatting of the forums off, though.

There's an app for Android and iOS that make the experience a lot better.
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/awful-sa-forums-browser/id567936609
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ferg.awfulapp

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How do people not know about the App by now??? I've been using it since it first came out. The search function on smilies is a lifesaver.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jiro posted:

The search function on smilies is a lifesaver.

That's been a default feature for years now

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Goes to show you how often I post using a web browser since I discovered the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The android awful app is genuinely good and one of my most used apps - using the web version is indeed way worse.