Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CarForumPoster posted:

Any software/firmware reason why a wifi dongle would be cutting out every second or so beyond it is simply faulty?

Absolutely could be drivers, many USB wifi dongles are poorly supported in linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

pairofdimes posted:

If you decrease the ping interval below 1 second do the latency spikes still happen every other second?

Havent tried this but streaming a large file via SMB would cause the thing to drop out completely. The 700ma-900ma flicker seems to be on a second off 1-2 seconds without a clear period. I'd say the period of flickering between 700ma and 900ma current draw kinda "feels" thermal in its period.

mewse posted:

you could try feeding the pi zero 5.1V rather than 5.05, or try using a powered usb hub between the pi and the dongle to see if power delivery is really causing the problem.

But it's probably the dongle.

I should really have a few powered USB 2/3/C hubs sitting around so this is a good excuse to buy some.

Thanks for the replies I'll do some more playing with it today.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is there anyone actually selling Pi5 boards?

All the official retailers are sold out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

coconono posted:

is there anyone actually selling Pi5 boards?

All the official retailers are sold out.

Seems like the best bet is to try and preorder:
https://rpilocator.com/pi-5.cfm

I haven't seen them up anywhere else, although it's possible someone will try to resell theirs for a mark up on eBay.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Rexxed posted:

Seems like the best bet is to try and preorder:
https://rpilocator.com/pi-5.cfm

I haven't seen them up anywhere else, although it's possible someone will try to resell theirs for a mark up on eBay.

I can't recall where, but I think I saw some online earlier today that were available, but only the lower ram models....unless I'm thinking of the 4...

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah the 5s are definitely pre order atm

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bought a Canakit Pi4 and the network performance is kinda iffy. Struggles with pulling packages via apt, I can't even get chromium to load the speedtest.net page.

Trying a new OS image. I wasn't really thrilled with Raspian so I'm trying for realsies Ubuntu 64bit.

E: I think the kit supplied SD card is poo poo. Randomly locked up a bunch too

coconono fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 21, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

coconono posted:

bought a Canakit Pi4 and the network performance is kinda iffy. Struggles with pulling packages via apt, I can't even get chromium to load the speedtest.net page.

Trying a new OS image. I wasn't really thrilled with Raspian so I'm trying for realsies Ubuntu 64bit.

E: I think the kit supplied SD card is poo poo. Randomly locked up a bunch too

Sounds like the case.

If you are seeing relevant errors in dmesg, then it’s a clear sign to use something else.

But bad SD cards are more common than they should be.

The only other issue might be a dodgy power supply.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah SD card was the primary culprit.

I’m now trying to figure out why I loaded the Lakka distro and not getting hdmi output. Except I gave up for the night because I spent too many hours reading the same half dozen retroarch arm64 posts and being very confused.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh I encountered that one a while back. Iirc there is a HDMI config setting flag you have to set. Don’t recall the specifics but you should be able to dig it up.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Any recs/warnings/cautions about using a Pi for LibreElec/Kodi? I installed it on an HP thin client that likes to freeze sometimes if I fast forward or just plain hang if the TV is off sometimes.

I don't need 4k, I'm fine with 1080/60. It'd run a mix of internet and local sources. I'm not a futzer, i'm happy to set it and forget it and use Kore on my phone as a remote control. I'd use wired networking to connect it to an Orbi mesh satellite.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

MJP posted:

Any recs/warnings/cautions about using a Pi for LibreElec/Kodi? I installed it on an HP thin client that likes to freeze sometimes if I fast forward or just plain hang if the TV is off sometimes.

I don't need 4k, I'm fine with 1080/60. It'd run a mix of internet and local sources. I'm not a futzer, i'm happy to set it and forget it and use Kore on my phone as a remote control. I'd use wired networking to connect it to an Orbi mesh satellite.

One thing to consider is your audio out, and how easily it’s supported by LibreElec. Enabling analog output takes an extra config setting, so it might not take much to get the pi to fit into your existing system, but if you have/need support for a more complicated sound system you might want to read up before you decide.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MJP posted:

I recommend a Chromecast with Google TV. It has all of the streaming services of course and if you set up a DLNA server for your local media you can use the VLC client. Total set it and forget it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VLC can just play directly from a network share as well, dlna server not even required.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

I’m currently using a le potato for this while I wait on an Apple TV. The key is your network has to be solid if you’re streaming stuff. I use the Kodi Plex syncing add on and it works great unless the network isnt good and then it hangs and streams need to be restarted and stuff.

I don’t know if it’s my tv or libreelec or the sbc, but it just stops sending signal after the tv turns off. I don’t mind unplugging it and plugging it in again (confirm you have read-only filesystem on!) but that’s because this is temporary and the entertainment centre isn’t like, installed yet.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Maybe a stupid question, but I'd like to do a cluster case and I don't want to buy a bunch of poe hats so I'm wondering, is it reasonable/practical to get some kind of powered USB hub to mount on the side of the cluster case, and then just run short USB cables out to that and power the hub so there's only one outlet space taken up? Is this a thing that's possible? Do people do this? They're all 3b+ and there would be a minimum of 4 of them and a maximum of 8.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Mantle posted:

I recommend a Chromecast with Google TV. It has all of the streaming services of course and if you set up a DLNA server for your local media you can use the VLC client. Total set it and forget it.

Can I still install Kodi add-ons? I can't seem to find a clear yes or no.

mewse
May 2, 2006

hark posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but I'd like to do a cluster case and I don't want to buy a bunch of poe hats so I'm wondering, is it reasonable/practical to get some kind of powered USB hub to mount on the side of the cluster case, and then just run short USB cables out to that and power the hub so there's only one outlet space taken up? Is this a thing that's possible? Do people do this? They're all 3b+ and there would be a minimum of 4 of them and a maximum of 8.

Not sure a powered usb hub would cut it - the pi recommends 2.5 amps, will the hub support that power draw on every port? The way I would probably try to do it would be to buy a cheap 5V power supply then wire a bunch of usb breakout boards to it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mewse posted:

Not sure a powered usb hub would cut it - the pi recommends 2.5 amps, will the hub support that power draw on every port? The way I would probably try to do it would be to buy a cheap 5V power supply then wire a bunch of usb breakout boards to it

Wow, this becomes more appealing given that the power supply spec for the Pi 5 is 5V@5A, which very, very few general USB chargers will provide. I wonder how often the fan would kick in on that PSU.

Is there a reason to do USB breakout rather than just powering the Pis off of the pins in the GPIO area?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 23, 2023

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MJP posted:

You can install Kodi on the Chromecast, so I'm guessing you should be able to install add-ons. Is there a specific add-on you are looking for?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Header pins are usually rated to about three amps max, and that can be pushing it

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Flipperwaldt posted:

VLC can just play directly from a network share as well, dlna server not even required.

I have an RPi Zero V1 that streams to an Apple TV just fine with good ol SMB. Pause and fast forward are reliable. Lacks any Netflix-esque features but meh, who cares. Only complaint is the 4MB/s file transfer speeds but that could be because its a cheap SD card with a $5 usb/wifi hub combo.

Twerk from Home posted:

Wow, this becomes more appealing given that the power supply spec for the Pi 5 is 5V@5A, which very, very few general USB chargers will provide. I wonder how often the fan would kick in on that PSU.

Is there a reason to do USB breakout rather than just powering the Pis off of the pins in the GPIO area?

IIRC the regular RPis have some overvoltage or other power protection circuit on USB that maybe isnt on the pins. The Pi Zero doesnt have this, so its the same either way.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

No, I didn't consider that

E: Also the 200W version of that psu is fanless

mewse fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 23, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MJP posted:

Yes, you can.

Chromecast with Google tv has three major things where it doesn't work like a normal Android device: 1. There is no webbrowser that allows you to download just any random file. You can work around this with an app from the store called downloader if you need something directly from GitHub or something. If your add-on is on the regular Kodi repositories, you can just install, download and update through Kodi, no problem. 2. If you're in an app and need to open a file and the app redirects you to the system file picker for that, you're hosed because there isn't one. Kodi uses its own file picker, so no problem, should you need to manually install an add-on from a downloaded zip. 3. Some apps aren't made to be controlled with a remote control and have buttons that are unreachable, need swipe actions you can't do etc. You can work around with an app that simulates mouse input. Not needed for Kodi because it was firmly written with remote controls in mind.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Any recommendations for a very small camera? USB or the pi interface are both fine, but I want a long cable so I can mount it away from the pi

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MJP posted:

I'm messing around on an RPi4B with Lakka OS right now. It required fiddling. The default OS was pretty fleshed out

make sure your TV isn't some weirdo bullshit that fell off a truck. Pretty much all my output struggles revolved around the TV not being able to understand all the ephemera the Pi was kicking out. If its not plug and play, make sure you got good cables. I just bought the cheapest thing on Best Boy's floor and it worked.

Bluetooth wasn't out of the box either. I bought an 8bitdo controller thinking that was the easiest way. I suggest something with a pairing dongle. But that could be an OS limitation. I have a logitech keyboard mouse dealie that uses a pairing dongle and its worked great.

Lakka itself is "rawdog retroarch", it comes preinstalled with OS cores, you have to supply BIOS and roms. Its got SSH access and an unsecured access to the filesystem via SMB, which made finding it on the network and throwing files into it a snap. When the Pi5 hardware finally becomes available, I should be able to emulate some PS2 and Gamecube stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pham Nuwen posted:

Any recommendations for a very small camera? USB or the pi interface are both fine, but I want a long cable so I can mount it away from the pi

How far do you need to extend it and how small is small enough?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/thine-solutions-inc/THSER101/13883531

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

coconono posted:

I'm messing around on an RPi4B with Lakka OS right now. It required fiddling. The default OS was pretty fleshed out

make sure your TV isn't some weirdo bullshit that fell off a truck. Pretty much all my output struggles revolved around the TV not being able to understand all the ephemera the Pi was kicking out. If its not plug and play, make sure you got good cables. I just bought the cheapest thing on Best Boy's floor and it worked.

Bluetooth wasn't out of the box either. I bought an 8bitdo controller thinking that was the easiest way. I suggest something with a pairing dongle. But that could be an OS limitation. I have a logitech keyboard mouse dealie that uses a pairing dongle and its worked great.

Lakka itself is "rawdog retroarch", it comes preinstalled with OS cores, you have to supply BIOS and roms. Its got SSH access and an unsecured access to the filesystem via SMB, which made finding it on the network and throwing files into it a snap. When the Pi5 hardware finally becomes available, I should be able to emulate some PS2 and Gamecube stuff.

:nice:

I agree that getting display to work is usually the biggest headache. If worse comes to worse, you can always pop the sd card into a computer and change the config.txt to set hdmi_safe to enable it. Just make sure to disable it later! Usually a display with an actual hdmi port has less issues than something that needs to be converted between hdmi and dvi or displayport or etc.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sb hermit posted:

:nice:

I agree that getting display to work is usually the biggest headache. If worse comes to worse, you can always pop the sd card into a computer and change the config.txt to set hdmi_safe to enable it. Just make sure to disable it later! Usually a display with an actual hdmi port has less issues than something that needs to be converted between hdmi and dvi or displayport or etc.

yeah I was able to get video output on my old dynex HDMI tv via Lakka by messing with the cmdline.txt file(since it doesn't start a full GUI backend this file gets invoked instead of config.txt) but couldn't get sound. In frustration I walked the whole pi unit to another TV and suddenly sound and video worked just fine.

I might go investigate the local makerspace to make up a slightly larger case with a power button. I'm still trying to work around how to sleep/wake the pi. I'm thinking it might have to be something like a arduino or a Pi Zero that runs the power button and listens for bluetooth or LAN traffic.

I'm still hoping to make this into a gameboxes for a boutique sale but right now the bluetooth stuff is so wonky idk I could make something that goes out of the box for nontech folks. Def going to release an image preloaded with ROMs and BIOS along with a note.txt full of tips'n'tricks

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

How far do you need to extend it and how small is small enough?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/thine-solutions-inc/THSER101/13883531

Just a couple feet. I'm playing around with a wearable display and I'd like to attach a camera, because I've always wanted to be able to take pictures of something as I disassemble it and then review the pictures when I put it back together. The pi goes in a jacket pocket, so I just need a long enough cable to run up to my face.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Why not just get an old, used GoPro for that?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just a couple feet. I'm playing around with a wearable display and I'd like to attach a camera, because I've always wanted to be able to take pictures of something as I disassemble it and then review the pictures when I put it back together. The pi goes in a jacket pocket, so I just need a long enough cable to run up to my face.

Neat!

The zerocam is probably the smallest and slimmest camera you can reasonably get, and the official Pi camera cable can be had up to 50cm long. Depending on whether you're using a Zero or full-size pi, you'll perhaps need an adapter.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Neat!

The zerocam is probably the smallest and slimmest camera you can reasonably get, and the official Pi camera cable can be had up to 50cm long. Depending on whether you're using a Zero or full-size pi, you'll perhaps need an adapter.

Yeah the Zerocam looks ideal, except for the cable thing. I've found some similar cameras on ebay which have USB out, but of course they're random ebay garbage shipped from China so who knows if they're any good.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Ordered my pi 5 on october 18th. Guess it still hasn't shipped.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When pirates seized the container ship, they pushed the Pi cargo into the ocean, upset it was not pie. Red beard got silicon chips now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

today's life lesson: when pulling a hat off the gpio pins, don't absentmindedly use the sd card as a spot to rest your thumb for leverage.

(hope I had all the code committed to remote)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It's almost like it's a bad storage medium for this use case or something; both for compute and physical leverage.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah the SD card placement made me wanna build a bigger case just so the card didn’t get goobered up.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Raspberry Pi Zero W trouble... ideas welcome.

I have two of the above. Having moved house I am trying to set one of them back up as a PiHole, headless.

I've flashed both an old and now a new SD card with the Raspberry Pi Imager with what it tells me is the latest software compatible with all RPis — Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32-bit), a part of Debian Bookworm with no desktop environment, released 23-12-05. During this process I have entered my desired hostname, user/pass, wifi credentials, and enabled SSH.

I've tried both devices. Both seem to boot (green LED flashes, then eventually holds steady green), but neither will connect to my WiFi. My SSID has a space in it, but nothing I can find would indicate this is a problem. firstboot.sh appears to have everything correct when I inspect it. Since they won't connect to my WiFi they're basically useless.

When I did this before, it worked perfectly, so I'm pretty much at a loss.

Any clues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Jeherrin posted:

Raspberry Pi Zero W trouble... ideas welcome.

I have two of the above. Having moved house I am trying to set one of them back up as a PiHole, headless.

I've flashed both an old and now a new SD card with the Raspberry Pi Imager with what it tells me is the latest software compatible with all RPis — Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32-bit), a part of Debian Bookworm with no desktop environment, released 23-12-05. During this process I have entered my desired hostname, user/pass, wifi credentials, and enabled SSH.

I've tried both devices. Both seem to boot (green LED flashes, then eventually holds steady green), but neither will connect to my WiFi. My SSID has a space in it, but nothing I can find would indicate this is a problem. firstboot.sh appears to have everything correct when I inspect it. Since they won't connect to my WiFi they're basically useless.

When I did this before, it worked perfectly, so I'm pretty much at a loss.

Any clues?

Try imaging one of them with the 10-10 release and see if that works

https://downloads.raspberrypi.com/raspios_lite_armhf/images/