Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It feels like Marvel Studios gave up on it before it was even released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok posted:

Planning on seeing this Friday when it will already be pulled from theatres in favour of A Netflix Hallmark Christmas: We're Releasing These Theatrically Now for Award Consideration.

So I wasn't that far off...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Marvels is expected to end its theatrical run early.

The final estimated box office for the movie is approximately $210 million GLOBALLY.

It cost $270 million to make and at least $100 million was spent on media and advertising.

That means it will not only be the first ever MCU film to lose money, but it will likely lose the studio close to a quarter billion dollars (~$220 million) and break The Flash's record for biggest studio financial loss.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It wasn't even a bad movie though

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Marvels has a marketing budget? I think I saw more ads for secret invasion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw a McDonalds happy meal toy for Marvels in a thrift store at the beginning of October. A month before release, that toy had already been out at McDs for several weeks, donated, sat in sorting, and ended up in a thrift store bin. When was that happy meal campaign??

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I saw a McDonalds happy meal toy for Marvels in a thrift store at the beginning of October. A month before release, that toy had already been out at McDs for several weeks, donated, sat in sorting, and ended up in a thrift store bin. When was that happy meal campaign??

Over the summer. I remember being very confused when they popped up in my niece's Happy Meals.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The really crappy thing is you just know they're going to learn all the wrong lessons and blame all the wrong things for this. Plus it sounds like they had already identified a lot of the issues beforehand and started taking some action, so really it's going to be more about rebuilding Trust then any more concrete changes at this point anyway

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Over the summer. I remember being very confused when they popped up in my niece's Happy Meals.

McDonalds must have scheduled it for the July 28th release date, and probably doesn't care to disrupt their plans for a delay.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Haven't there been movies in the past that had their production rushed because they had a hard date on their McDonalds tie in?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nicholas Hoult got the consolation prize for Superman Legacy as he's been cast as Lex Luthor.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

Nicholas Hoult got the consolation prize for Superman Legacy as he's been cast as Lex Luthor.

Which was always the better role for him. I like the guy but I've never gotten Superman vibes from him.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

muscles like this! posted:

Is this confirmed? If so, going from hairiest hero to hairless hero has to be a thing. :)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Comfortador posted:

Is this confirmed? If so, going from hairiest hero to hairless hero has to be a thing. :)

Deadline reporting it as confirmed as of a few hours ago.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/nicholas-hoult-superman-legacy-lex-luther-1235630393/

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Blockhouse posted:

DC and London also have streets

You know I was prepared to argue that taking Spidey out of NYC is bad, but then I just got even madder when I realized there was not a single pun about "Swinging London" in that movie

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Silver Surfer will be in the new Fantastic Four movie (not too surprising since Galactus is already confirmed) and they are genderswapping him to be a woman.

Also, Captain America 4 was delayed again because they felt the action scenes weren't as satisfying as the scenes in Winter Solider and Civil War and are starting some of them over from scratch.

https://www.screengeek.net/2023/11/20/silver-surfer-woman-fantastic-four-marvel-mcu-rumor/

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Silver Surfer will be in the new Fantastic Four movie (not too surprising since Galactus is already confirmed) and they are genderswapping him to be a woman.

Also, Captain America 4 was delayed again because they felt the action scenes weren't as satisfying as the scenes in Winter Solider and Civil War and are starting some of them over from scratch.

https://www.screengeek.net/2023/11/20/silver-surfer-woman-fantastic-four-marvel-mcu-rumor/

The ads on the mobile version of whatever that website is are the most intrusive I have ever seen and makes the content literally unreadable.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Soul Glo posted:

The ads on the mobile version of whatever that website is are the most intrusive I have ever seen and makes the content literally unreadable.

Adblock 4 lyfe.

This should be a cleaner site with the same info:

https://www.theinsneider.com/p/fantastic-four-cast-pedro-pascal-marvel-madness-christopher-nolan-best-director

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Making Silver Surfer a woman seems like it's just for titillation. As in, hell yeah let's put up a [Barbie-fied] nude woman up on screen as a character!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone asked Iman Vellani about The Marvels' box office and her future in the MCU and she managed to give a great answer that somehow involved Steven King.

- She also confirms that the song and dance scene was significantly longer, but was trimmed down.

- There was a scene with Valkyrie where they explicitly say that she and Captain Marvel used to date that was cut down.

- There was an actual extended final fight scene in space that was cut and Ms. Marvel got a new suit on the singing planet that was a space suit that she used to join the final fight.

quote:

When you're battling alien warriors in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it's helpful to have an all-powerful Avenger like Captain Marvel by your side. But when your opponents are real-world internet trolls, there's no better ally than Stephen King.

"Having Stephen King in anyone's corner is pretty awesome,"

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1723754733024780549
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1723875366907834660

Not that Vellani is dwelling on either social media trolls or all the "State of Marvel" think pieces that have been generated since The Marvels flew into theaters on Nov. 10, right after the Screen Actors Guild strike officially ended. The film opened to $47 million domestically and just under $100 million worldwide, the worst start for any Marvel film since The Incredible Hulk back in 2008. The Marvels tumbled further in its second weekend, grossing only $10.2 million — a franchise-worst 78% drop. At this point, it's possible that the film may not clear $100 million at the box office, an unfortunate first in the MCU's 15-year history.

While media and fan coverage of The Marvels is relentlessly focused on the box office, Vellani makes it clear that her own attention is elsewhere. "I don't want to focus on something that's not even in my control, because what's the point?" the actress remarked during our interview Thursday. "That's for Bob Iger."

"[The box office] has nothing to do with me," Vellani continues. "I'm happy with the finished product, and the people that I care about enjoyed the film. It's genuinely a good time watching this movie, and that's all we can ask for with these films. It has superheroes, it take place in space, it's not that deep and it's about teamwork and sisterhood. It's a fun movie, and I'm just so happy that I can share it with people."

As for the toxic voices that are trying to spoil that fun by crying "woke," longtime Marvel fan Vellani says that she has experienced the negative sides of fandom even before joining the MCU. "I had a lot of experience in high school alone when I would share my excitement with someone, and then they'd immediately shut me down for being so excited," the 21-year-old recalls. "I would hate to see that within the fan community as well, because it does feel awful. If people are excited about something, let them be excited about it. And if you have constructive criticism, voice it — but never be the wet blanket on someone else's excitement."

As The Marvels prepares to fight the good fight in its second weekend in theaters, Vellani shares stories about deleted scenes, Ms. Marvel's future and why the whole cast gets better meals when Brie Larson is on set.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1726052778970120343

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah the movie did really feel like a lot of it got cut. There was clearly more there that they felt could get thrown out to just move things along.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lobok posted:

Making Silver Surfer a woman seems like it's just for titillation. As in, hell yeah let's put up a [Barbie-fied] nude woman up on screen as a character!

Was the original Silver Surfer design just an excuse to get a nude guy to hang brain for an audience?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Was the original Silver Surfer design just an excuse to get a nude guy to hang brain for an audience?

No, that was just a bonus

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Iman Vellani rules. I look forward to the day she defeats Feige in honorable combat and takes over Marvel

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Originally Surfer had a briefs look, likely because of the Comics Code. Not sure which artist first made the change to Surfer being a Ken doll. And yes, the eventual movie went with that look as well but I'm talking about changing him to a woman and the reason for that change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't really like the argument that any depiction of a woman's body must inherently be for titillation, let alone one that is explicitly and inherently sexless.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fantastic Four set to start filming on January 15th, 2024 in London.

Seems to imply that they have all their casting done.

I assume that it will probably line up pretty closely with the huge flurry of leaks from last week.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Noreen Radd.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

90sgamer posted:

That was in new avengers

Doh!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really like the argument that any depiction of a woman's body must inherently be for titillation, let alone one that is explicitly and inherently sexless.

Didn't say "must" but I'm being cynical about Hollywood here. We don't have to have scenes of Invisible Woman having accidental naked hijinks but for some reason when Jessica Alba was in the role, that's what we got.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looking forward to she surfers big pointy nipples because she's naked in space where it's cold amirite fellas???

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Fighting some regular street thugs in the first few pages before the real story arc kicks off where he fights an alien hivemind from the beginning of time created by the primordial force of darkness.

Didn't this literally happen in Homecoming?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
People's complaint about the MCU is that it's sexless despite all the hot people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shageletic posted:

Didn't this literally happen in Homecoming?

Vulture was not technically a hivemind.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the movie did really feel like a lot of it got cut. There was clearly more there that they felt could get thrown out to just move things along.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was due to complaints the movies had gotten to long, which honestly, they did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's already a female herald they can just use instead.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

There's already a female herald they can just use instead.

So that's how they will revive Aunt May!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Good joke that anyone is gonna use stuff from eternals, but the celestials and Galactus don't really hang out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was due to complaints the movies had gotten to long, which honestly, they did.
Yeah and I get that, but there’s a lot of things missing in the story that just gets glossed over

There’s also the fact that when Carol reveals that the villain was right and she did cause the problems the Kree are suffering from when she decided to destroy the Supreme Intelligence, there isn’t a huge reaction from Kamala. It should be a bigger deal that she did something that bad. We also don’t go back to the water planet so I don’t believe we get any indication of whether or not they are also hosed by having the water stolen. I would just have liked more of that instead of rushing very quickly to an ending.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fantastic Four set to start filming on January 15th, 2024 in London.

Seems to imply that they have all their casting done.

I assume that it will probably line up pretty closely with the huge flurry of leaks from last week.

Hopefully they do a better job of covering up London than SI did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah and I get that, but there’s a lot of things missing in the story that just gets glossed over

There’s also the fact that when Carol reveals that the villain was right and she did cause the problems the Kree are suffering from when she decided to destroy the Supreme Intelligence, there isn’t a huge reaction from Kamala. It should be a bigger deal that she did something that bad. We also don’t go back to the water planet so I don’t believe we get any indication of whether or not they are also hosed by having the water stolen. I would just have liked more of that instead of rushing very quickly to an ending.

A big moment in the movie is Carol confessing that she went into self-imposed exile for twenty years because of what she did. And the 300-year-old SABER guy said they put the water planet back together.