Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jelly posted:

How do people handle their animals breeding like crazy when they don't want them to?

For pen animals I just butcher them on a tight schedule but I have a terrier army that was getting out of control so I just decided to sterilize all of them. Are there any down sides to that?

fenced area or zones and keep males and females separated till you need to breed more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah if you want wandering cute pets to cuddle throughout your living space, you’ve got to either kill off all of one gender or sterilize.

The only downside to sterilization is also the upside you want: no more loving/no more puppies. In this respect Rimworld and Earth are the same: responsible keepers fix their pets.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

trait gain on events is absolutely insanely dumb. whoops, got flu, now i'm gay

This happened to me irl

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Maybe that fever dream was the epic quest that allowed them to find their true selves?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

got flu, now i'm gay

:same:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ATE WITHOUT TABLE: NOW CRAVES DICK

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

ATE WITHOUT TABLE: NOW CRAVES DICK

Many such cases.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Well my game has bugged and I now have a pawn that can't sleep. He won't go to bed even at max tiredness, and if I order him to sleep he just immediately gets up. He can get rest from passing out from exhaustion but that's not enough to actually fill his meter. Life is suffering for him.

I had looked up how to fix this and found a guide saying to check to see if he was missing a <canSleepTick> tag and add it if he was, which he was so I did, but that didn't actually fix it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can you schedule him a minor surgery like "administer smokeleaf" and make him rest that way? can't remember if right-click-medical-bed is vanilla game behaviour or not

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jelly posted:

Always surprises me how quick y'all are, I figured out I'd zoned him in during an attack and forgot about it.

Excellent

After I posted I had some guy cleaning and he had a blood stain in the pen from a slaughter and one in my entry maze from an attack that were kind of close together spatially, but on the other side of a wall and a good 1 hour walk and rear end in a top hat would take one swab with his mop, walk an hour to the other side, take one swab, walk an hour to the other side...

I hate these people.

This sounds like goofed up mod behavior which is why I don't run a lot of mods

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VideoWitch posted:

Well my game has bugged and I now have a pawn that can't sleep. He won't go to bed even at max tiredness, and if I order him to sleep he just immediately gets up. He can get rest from passing out from exhaustion but that's not enough to actually fill his meter. Life is suffering for him.

I had looked up how to fix this and found a guide saying to check to see if he was missing a <canSleepTick> tag and add it if he was, which he was so I did, but that didn't actually fix it.

This too lol

What if you put him in a caravan, would he sleep then? Maybe he just has wanderlust

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jelly posted:

How do people handle their animals breeding like crazy when they don't want them to?

For pen animals I just butcher them on a tight schedule but I have a terrier army that was getting out of control so I just decided to sterilize all of them. Are there any down sides to that?

Auto-slaughter makes this really easy but if it's terriers I don't think that I would use that approach either, neutering a bunch seems reasonable

I won't slaughter dogs but ask me about our fabulous collection of human leather hats

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Rimworld: Ask me about our fabulous collection of human leather hats

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Many such cases!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe 4/5 times that someone is like "my pawns are doing stupid annoying poo poo" the answer is "try and disable the Stupid Annoying Behavior mod"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah but I feel like it’s unrealistic that you can have a rhinoceros in game but nobody can get rhinoceritis

I will never uninstall Rhinoceritis and Stupid Behavior mod

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 19, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

QuarkJets posted:

This sounds like goofed up mod behavior which is why I don't run a lot of mods
I run vanilla

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I could not continue to breathe without Allow Tool.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jelly posted:

I run vanilla

Cleaning uses closest walkable proximity - not spatial proximity. If a pawn walked an hour to reach a dirty floor then it's because there wasn't any closer dirty floor to clean that they could reach - new dirt can always show up of course

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Just put a door in any wall so you have a shortcut when necessary.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Jelly posted:

form a caravan and go sell them all at a nearby non-pirate settlement

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Jelly posted:

After I posted I had some guy cleaning and he had a blood stain in the pen from a slaughter and one in my entry maze from an attack that were kind of close together spatially, but on the other side of a wall and a good 1 hour walk and rear end in a top hat would take one swab with his mop, walk an hour to the other side, take one swab, walk an hour to the other side...

I hate these people.

pathfinding is very stupid on purpose to reduce processing required to do it

There are mods for it, but I don't know if this stops idiots running miles to get to the other side of a wall to do a cleaning task

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2341486509

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

form a caravan and go sell them all at a nearby non-pirate settlement
Does sending transport pod full of animals have the same positive effect as sending rice pods?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fire Storm posted:

Does sending transport pod full of animals have the same positive effect as sending rice pods?

Air Bud (works for dogs and smokeleaf)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

QuarkJets posted:

Cleaning uses closest walkable proximity - not spatial proximity. If a pawn walked an hour to reach a dirty floor then it's because there wasn't any closer dirty floor to clean that they could reach - new dirt can always show up of course
ive got pawns hopping between rooms instead of finishing the one they're in just to turn right back atound after one spot all the time. i do run mods though

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

World Famous W posted:

ive got pawns hopping between rooms instead of finishing the one they're in just to turn right back atound after one spot all the time. i do run mods though

that's just ADHD, I have that going on too

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
going to get an adderall mod for my pawns

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

World Famous W posted:

going to get an adderall mod for my pawns

Wakeup is vanilla though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe that's why I never see this behavior, my pawns take wake-up and yayo every day

Also most of my cleaning is done by robots now

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

World Famous W posted:

fenced area or zones and keep males and females separated till you need to breed more

This is the way, or only have a single breeding male cut down on reproduction rates-- Every hour there's a 8% or 12% chance an awake male animal will try to mate with a female in the same area. Then there's a 50% chance of the animals getting pregnant.

This means that generally speaking there's about a 40% chance every day that a male animal will get a female animal pregnant.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

jokes posted:

This is the way, or only have a single breeding male cut down on reproduction rates-- Every hour there's a 8% or 12% chance an awake male animal will try to mate with a female in the same area. Then there's a 50% chance of the animals getting pregnant.

This means that generally speaking there's about a 40% chance every day that a male animal will get a female animal pregnant.

You multiply probabilities, not add.

So your pregnancy chances are 4% - 6% per hour, and multiply that by the number of hours the animals are awake, say 12 hours. The chances per day that the one male manages to get any females pregnant in a given day is 48% - 72% (12 x 4% and 6%), assuming there are 12 females available to try. Reduce that by however many you actually have.

If you instead reduce the amount of available females, the breeding interval of the animal will reduce that to one breeding attempt per day, giving you the straight 4% - 6%.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

One time I accepted one singular male pawn into my all woman camp and they caught plague and became a misogynist lol

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

The Velvet Witch posted:

One time I accepted one singular male pawn into my all woman camp and they caught plague and became a misogynist lol

That's when you imprison him and sell him off to the first slaver faction that shows up.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

The Velvet Witch posted:

lol

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

The Velvet Witch posted:

Did they have the incel background?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
my chef pawn got addicted to wakeup and this is the best thing that has happened in this playthrough

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I saw the Genie was teaching her 3 year old kid something so I took a look. Social lessons! She has zero Social skill. Then while teaching she leveled up to 1 Social. :allears:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

isndl posted:

I saw the Genie was teaching her 3 year old kid something so I took a look. Social lessons! She has zero Social skill. Then while teaching she leveled up to 1 Social. :allears:

kids in rimworld really are the best little dudes

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

isndl posted:

RimWorld: Kid teaches Genie manners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

isndl posted:

Does the kid have a pet monkey and an adorable little fez hat? If not then you know what to do now