Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/wadepthealth/status/1726049674438582679?s=46

https://x.com/chrisalvino/status/1726358390639632439?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hospital currently out of Paxlovid lol. Still think hoarding is harmless???

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Hospital currently out of Paxlovid lol. Still think hoarding is harmless???

broken up with hoarding; dumpster diving is now my new best friend

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ah that sucks, hope your doggo is okay.

For everyone else, the mystery dog respiratory disease has turned up in at least 10 states across the US. There's been hundreds and hundreds of cases and an unknown number of deaths

https://www.today.com/health/mystery-dog-illness-2023-rcna125553

It's been circulating since at least August but they still haven't identified it

crazy, i worked with that HS vet during an internship. my friend in CO warned me after seeing three cases of it today, and they've been referring the worst cases to CSU.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Angiogram went poorly, all parts of the heart are hosed, getting triple bypass surgery later this week.

Sounds like it might be genes rather than covid though. Not supposed to see this in a relatively healthy 43 year old.

The worst part is my wife is essentially alone in Australia and really relies on me. I feel so bad for her. gently caress.

Jesus gently caress I'm sorry dude :magical:

I'm north of the river but still not that far from you, let me know if I can help with anything

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/ifuekonadine/status/1726416970646487475?s=46

PPE deals

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Angiogram went poorly, all parts of the heart are hosed, getting triple bypass surgery later this week.

Sounds like it might be genes rather than covid though. Not supposed to see this in a relatively healthy 43 year old.

The worst part is my wife is essentially alone in Australia and really relies on me. I feel so bad for her. gently caress.
loving hell x1000 man, wishing the best, and yeah like others said, post through it if it helps. godspeed

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

this past week i've gotten alerts that my kid in elementary school and my kid in daycare got covid exposures
lol it's not even thanksgiving yet
all tested negative and all is well but lol, lmao, thanksgiving and the holidays are going to be chaos

Tzen has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Nov 20, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:yeah:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
105% of the population infected in ~12 months may seem high, but I suspect it is an underestimation. Namely because of 1) school infections never being captured while being consecutive super spreader events and 2) not everyone seroconverts. That their data aligns with blood donors imho therefore underlines the under count, though I am positive public health officials would call it proof that it is right on the money.
"Combining genomic data and infection estimates to characterize the complex dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variants in the United States"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.11.07.23298178v1.full-text posted:

Abstract
SARS-CoV-2 Omicron surged as a variant of concern (VOC) in late 2021. Subsequently, several distinct Omicron variants have appeared and overtaken each other. We combined variant frequencies from GISAID and infection estimates from a nowcasting model for each US state to estimate variant-specific infections, attack rates, and effective reproduction numbers (Rt). BA.1 rapidly emerged, and we estimate that it infected 47.7% of the US population between late 2021 and early 2022 before it was replaced by BA.2. We estimate that BA.5, despite a slower takeoff than BA.1, also infected 35.7% of the US population, persisting in circulation for nearly 6 months. Other Omicron variants - BA.2, BA.4, or XBB - infected 30.7% of the US population. We found a positive correlation between the state-level BA.1 attack rate and social vulnerability. Our findings reveal the complex interplay between viral evolution, population susceptibility, and social factors since Omicron emerged in the US.

One-Sentence Summary For each US state, we estimate Omicron variant-specific infections, attack rates, and effective reproduction numbers.
(..)

(..)
Our findings align with data from blood donors
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

105% of the population infected in ~12 months may seem high, but I suspect it is an underestimation. Namely because of 1) school infections never being captured while being consecutive super spreader events and 2) not everyone seroconverts. That their data aligns with blood donors imho therefore underlines the under count, though I am positive public health officials would call it proof that it is right on the money.
"Combining genomic data and infection estimates to characterize the complex dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variants in the United States"

That cant be true.

quote:

Reinfections are still so rare that to pretend they are common you need to twist out a case where if you reduce infections by 30,000% and infect 90% of the population you can get 22 reinfections and pretend that is some staggering number by playing with percentages

Citing: a peer‐reviewed journal article*

*Whose study period concluded before Joe R. Biden took office

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Nov 20, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:canada: :rubby:
https://twitter.com/MoriartyLab/status/1726094324822118718

I should note that this is a doomer hobbyist COVID enthusiast tracker, but it is using data from Statistics Canada. I should also be emphasized that Statistics Canada's most recent data only goes to September 2, so... you know... the subsequent and expected increase has mostly already happened.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

That cant be true.
(..)

I was pretty pissed when the Danish COVID dashboard was updated to include reinfections (purple) and second+ (cyan) reinfections and I noticed that our first first reinfection happened week 21, 2020 and our first re-reinfection occurred in week 35 2020:

And while yeah, it wasn't a large percentage of the total cases, it certainly demonstrated that reinfections and re-reinfections were not only possible, but happened to an alarming degree considering the requirements to qualify (90 days between positives or genetically sequenced tests showing it wasn't the same).

Considering the data we had to work with at the time (remember the enthusiast trackers through 2020 noting tens of reinfections?), I would be lying if I said it doesn't feel like we were deliberately kept in the dark.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
More free tests.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/4-free-covid-tests-household-ahead-holidays/story?id=104989775 posted:

4 more free COVID tests will be available to each household ahead of the holidays
The winter season is expected to bring a resurgence of the virus.
(..)
The test ordering site relaunched last month, offering four tests per household, and will now offer an additional four tests per household for anyone who has already ordered -- or eight tests per household for anyone who hasn't placed an order yet this fall.

Since September, about 14.5 million households have ordered tests, for a total of 58 million tests shipped, according to the Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response, or ASPR, a department within the Department of Health and Human Services.
(..)

Also pretty surprised by 14.5 million households having ordered free tests since September. I don't know the average US household size, but guesstimating that amounts to ~10% of the population.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Some of us still have active covid numbers tracking

https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1726582147476275647?t=gjqUvfqVkNxewImW9-NPsw&s=19

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Updated Moderna and Pfizer monovalent Omicron XBB.1.5 shots finally approved in Australia

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1726502867652214903#m

Edit: the latest Victorian covid19 surveillance report shows that the samples that have recently been sequenced are almost all XBB sublineages (as of October 16-26) with HK.3 really starting to dominate. BA.2.86/Pirola has been detected but apparently in levels so low it doesn't even make it onto the chart:

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Nov 20, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
finally got tagged. My wife was the first to test hot and she wore an n95 indoors in common spaces w/ filters running, but two nights ago I was comforting one of the kids in bed and she just hacked in my face a bunch for hours and i was too tired and possibly already getting sick to go find a mask, ah well.

Wife is just riding it out; I have a sesamehealth appt in 10 mins to try to get pax

I've been sick a lot 2021-present, nothing has kicked my rear end like this. 104.1F fever through ibuprofin at one point.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cabbages and Kings posted:

finally got tagged. My wife was the first to test hot and she wore an n95 indoors in common spaces w/ filters running, but two nights ago I was comforting one of the kids in bed and she just hacked in my face a bunch for hours and i was too tired and possibly already getting sick to go find a mask, ah well.

Wife is just riding it out; I have a sesamehealth appt in 10 mins to try to get pax

I've been sick a lot 2021-present, nothing has kicked my rear end like this. 104.1F fever through ibuprofin at one point.

go to test2treat.org for pax if you haven't already. I mean, legitimately you might as well.

get it for your wife too. heck, use your kids' details.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember when that guy got covid for the second time in like April 2020 and no one wanted to talk about it

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

euphronius posted:

remember when that guy got covid for the second time in like April 2020 and no one wanted to talk about it

only immunocompromised people can get it twice
only elderly people can get it twice
doesn't matter if you get it twice since it's no big deal
getting it twice is good actually since it'll be more mild the third time
getting it three times is good actually since it'll be more mild the fourth time
getting it four is good actually since it'll be more mild the fifth time
getting the new variant is good because the combo of previous infection and new variant makes it more mild the next time there's a new variant

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

go to test2treat.org for pax if you haven't already. I mean, legitimately you might as well.

get it for your wife too. heck, use your kids' details.

I got myself a script; my wife is disinclined to take it and I am disinclined to pursue this :shrug:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
dis does not mean you shouldn't be inclined to get more using their information

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
This is kind of neat. wastewaterscan.org lets you pick all locations nationally. Can confirm we don't do waves anymore just brrrrr

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

I've also been having issues ever since a bad case of covid. Some days I'm fine. Heart rate 65, normal blood pressure. Other days I'll be tired and have a resting heart rate of 110, BP of 140/100 and discomfort in my chest for no reason. Then fine again a few days later.

Never any pain in my left arm or just left side of chest. I've been to a cardiologist who did an EKG and stress test and didn't find anything.
Could be covid, could be stress, could be a blockage. I'm rambling here but if you're comfortable could you describe in more detail what made you realize you were having a problem?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
So I have a weird effect from COVID that I haven't heard of yet in the past three years.

All of my nerve sensations are overexaggerated. The way your body signals what is happening, and how you should respond, are over-the-top. For instance, touching something warm feels extremely hot. And touching something cold feels like handling dry ice. The urge to pee, that signal jumps right to "you're about to pee your pants" despite not actually having an accident. Pain is amplified. My back is sore from sleeping on the couch, but it feels like I was on a rack all weekend. I'm hearing low sounds in songs I've heard a million times that I've never noticed before. There was a few more examples that made me realize what was going on, but they really seemed to kick in Sunday (tested positive Thursday). But it is all signals, happens immediately but then fades away to a normal response.

Never really got sick in the sense that I didn't have a cough, persistent congestion, or fever. But I am very hoarse. The throat got that raw feeling that I would always attribute to colds, this happened by Saturday. Initially, I had body aches and chills, but those waned by late Friday night, early Saturday morning. It was easy to notice because I could feel it in my hands/knuckles.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kramdar posted:

So I have a weird effect from COVID that I haven't heard of yet in the past three years.

All of my nerve sensations are overexaggerated. The way your body signals what is happening, and how you should respond, are over-the-top. For instance, touching something warm feels extremely hot. And touching something cold feels like handling dry ice. The urge to pee, that signal jumps right to "you're about to pee your pants" despite not actually having an accident. Pain is amplified. My back is sore from sleeping on the couch, but it feels like I was on a rack all weekend. I'm hearing low sounds in songs I've heard a million times that I've never noticed before. There was a few more examples that made me realize what was going on, but they really seemed to kick in Sunday (tested positive Thursday). But it is all signals.

Never really got sick in the sense that I didn't have a cough, persistent congestion, or fever. But I am very hoarse. The throat got that raw feeling that I would always attribute to colds, this happened by Saturday. Initially, I had body aches and chills, but those waned by late Friday night, early Saturday morning. It was easy to notice because I could feel it in my hands/knuckles.

this is somewhat similar to my continual experience at least for the corporal stuff.

I get weird fatigue in muscles and I can't... like if I'm not moving my foot, it's just laid out in a place, it will rapidly get sore just because it is being acted upon by the couch or whatever and even the force of the weight of my leg is enough to cause strains. sitting in a non ideal position? fuckin forget about it, as soon as I get up whatever weird part of my rear end or back is donezo.

it's like the... response? of my musculoskeletal system to negative stimuli has been bifurcated to either "totally fine" or "holy poo poo the worst"

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Yes! Same with sitting down, my glutes would feel sore when I got up. I noticed it right away yesterday because I had only sat for a few minutes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I shared air with a person who later tested positive. How many days of no symptoms and testing negative until I can assume I'm in the clear?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Kramdar posted:

All of my nerve sensations are overexaggerated. The way your body signals what is happening, and how you should respond, are over-the-top. For instance, touching something warm feels extremely hot. And touching something cold feels like handling dry ice. The urge to pee, that signal jumps right to "you're about to pee your pants" despite not actually having an accident. Pain is amplified. My back is sore from sleeping on the couch, but it feels like I was on a rack all weekend. I'm hearing low sounds in songs I've heard a million times that I've never noticed before. There was a few more examples that made me realize what was going on, but they really seemed to kick in Sunday (tested positive Thursday). But it is all signals, happens immediately but then fades away to a normal response.

I am not a doctor and this is not a diagnosis: I don't want to alarm you, but you should go see a doctor.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/what-is-hyperesthesia posted:

(..)
Viral infection. In some cases, a viral infection may cause extreme sensitivity to stimulation. Varicella zoster (which causes chicken pox and shingles), Lyme disease, herpes simplex, cytomegalovirus, and COVID-19 have been known to attack peripheral nerves.
(..)
It is important to talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms of hyperesthesia, as it may indicate a more serious issue. In some cases, when an underlying cause can be identified and treated, injured nerves will recover and regenerate. Even when nerve damage is permanent, treatment can prevent further damage and worsening of symptoms.

This link might also interest you:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK563125/

Pingui has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Nov 20, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Scene, me waiting to pick stuff at Walgreens, overhearing a guy

quote:

Asthma. Yeah when I get covid I get it really bad.

Indistinct conversation

quote:

Yeah post covid I just thought I had a cough but I almost died. They had to give me a steroid.

Its hard to tell the difference between the catastrophic health messaging and American death drive sometimes.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
But we have the tools

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Further adventures in overhearing a woman berating the staff for how long things took because shes sick and needs this prescription.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ive left out if anyone other than me was masked because you all know the answer.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:theroni:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rishi-sunak-covid-inquiry-boris-johnson-b2450548.html posted:

Rishi Sunak thought government should let people die, Covid inquiry told in bombshell claim
Sunak believed it was okay to just let people die, according to diaries from the former chief scientific adviser in one of the most explosive claims yet
(..)
In one of the most explosive claims heard at the inquiry so far, the now prime minister, who was chancellor at the time, allegedly believed it was time to just let people die and thats okay in the autumn of 2020.
(..)

Sir Patrick said it is very difficult to see how Eat Out to Help Out would not have increased transmission, and revealed that he and chief medical officer Sir Chris Whitty were not told about the scheme until it was announced.

In a damning assessment, Sir Patrick told the inquiry the health messages had been very clear, that mixing with people you werent living with in an enclosed environment was a high-risk activity.

That policy [Eat Out to Help Out] completely reversed it to saying we will pay you to go into an environment with people from other households and mix in an indoor environment for periods extended over a couple of hours or more.

Asked whether Mr Sunak knew the policy would push up Covid infections before rolling it out, Sir Patrick said he would be very surprised if not, directly contradicting a claim in the now prime ministers own witness statement.

Mr Sunak said he did not recall any concerns about the scheme, including from Sir Chris and Sir Patrick.

In another embarrassing diary entry, Sir Patrick revealed that the ex-chancellor said Covid was all about handling scientists, not handling the virus, in a push to open up the economy after the first lockdown.
(..)
Mr Johnson wondered if Britain was licked as a species ahead of the second lockdown. Frustrated by lack of progress controlling the virus at a meeting in September 2020, Sir Patrick said he looked broken and had his head in his hands a lot.

The then prime minister said: Maybe we are licked as a species ... We are too s*** to get out act together.
(..)
Boris Johnson is uhh... right.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Chamale posted:

I shared air with a person who later tested positive. How many days of no symptoms and testing negative until I can assume I'm in the clear?

Like, safe to not worry about infecting others? 2 weeks.

As far as, "ok I probably got lucky", a week.

If you start feeling sick, just assume you got got and act accordingly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fell Mood posted:

I've also been having issues ever since a bad case of covid. Some days I'm fine. Heart rate 65, normal blood pressure. Other days I'll be tired and have a resting heart rate of 110, BP of 140/100 and discomfort in my chest for no reason. Then fine again a few days later.

Never any pain in my left arm or just left side of chest. I've been to a cardiologist who did an EKG and stress test and didn't find anything.
Could be covid, could be stress, could be a blockage. I'm rambling here but if you're comfortable could you describe in more detail what made you realize you were having a problem?

I started having low level discomfort in my heart just doing stuff like walking up an incline. Even getting up to pee at night. I've always been a big walker (5km per day) and usually have no problem with stairs etc so I knew something was wrong. Since the pain was in my heart and I have family history I went to my GP. He did an ECG and blood test and they both came back fine so he assumed it was some less serious muscular skeletal thing.

But I could tell it was serious so I booked another appointment with a second GP last Friday. He told me to go to the hospital if I was so concerned. He gave me a big write up to show them.

So I did on Saturday morning, expecting to go home a few hours later. They did another blood test that tested for a chemical that releases after you have a heart attack, and I tested positive. Not sure why my GP didn't ask for that. Bit annoyed by him tbh.

Then they wouldn't let me go home. I was transferred to the cardio ward. Had an angiogram and got even worse news that all three parts of the heart are blocked and an angioplasty would maybe give me 10 more years. So I opted for triple bypass surgery instead, and that should happen by Friday.

So glad I'm not still in Canada as I'd still be waiting weeks for the first GP appointment. And in the US I would have just died due to it not being major pain and not being able to afford to check or take time off work.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Nov 21, 2023

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Thanks. My EKG came back fine too. The next time I have an episode I may just have to go to the ER. I'm in the US unfortunately.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Fell Mood posted:

Thanks. My EKG came back fine too. The next time I have an episode I may just have to go to the ER. I'm in the US unfortunately.

Ive had EKGs, ECGs, holter monitors, nuclear stress tests, ultrasounds, everything says Im fine and its just anxiety, but things still feel weird.

hopefully yours is just anxiety too, but for real

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I started having low level discomfort in my heart just doing stuff like walking up an incline. Even getting up to pee at night. I've always been a big walker (5km per day) and usually have no problem with stairs etc so I knew something was wrong. Since the pain was in my heart and I have family history I went to my GP. He did an ECG and blood test and they both came back fine so he assumed it was some less serious muscular skeletal thing.

But I could tell it was serious so I booked another appointment with a second GP last Friday. He told me to go to the hospital if I was so concerned. He gave me a big write up to show them.

So I did on Saturday morning, expecting to go home a few hours later. They did another blood test that tested for a chemical that releases after you have a heart attack, and I tested positive. Not sure why my GP didn't ask for that. Bit annoyed by him tbh.

Then they wouldn't let me go home. I was transferred to the cardio ward. Had an angiogram and got even worse news that all three parts of the heart are blocked and an angioplasty would maybe give me 10 more years. So I opted for triple bypass surgery instead, and that should happen by Friday.

So glad I'm not still in Canada as I'd still be waiting weeks for the first GP appointment. And in the US I would have just died due to it not being major pain and not being able to afford to check or take time off work.

gently caress off our hospitals are full

all the best in your surgery and recovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

shazbot posted:

I’ve had EKGs, ECGs, holter monitors, nuclear stress tests, ultrasounds, everything says I’m fine and it’s just anxiety, but things still feel weird.

hopefully yours is just anxiety too, but for real

Thanks. I've had a stress test at a cardiologist, apparently no blockages.

My pet theory since the problem comes and goes, is that my vessels are sometimes constricted and not dilating properly. Maybe from a round of covid that killed my mother and laid me down for a solid month. Maybe just too much cortisol from all the (gestures around at everything).