Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Euugh why are these episodes of Krapopolis airing out of order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/superyggdrasilv/status/1726333389526143168

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not an anime guy and used to American comedy cartoons that treat animation as something to be done as cheaply as possible to support jokes and a story, and not usually inclined to enjoy actual animation itself, but the fights in SPTO were super cool. You also get a lot of fun unpredictable matchups when Scott's not there for everything to be about him. A lot of the fights really go on for a while, too - they're not treated just as story telling devices but as something to be enjoyed on their own merits. The Street Fighter Kung Fu in this series just makes for a really great world. I love the indistinct idea of what makes somebody a powerful fighter - that you are basically exerting the power of your personality, or some aspect thereof, in the form of a crazy super-powered fight. Again, maybe something that comes across as kind of mundane (?) to an anime fan, but gives it some real juice for me. (Turns out all I needed to enjoy anime was a massive voice cast of beloved millennial superstars.)

I liked the series a lot, I burned through it in a couple sessions which I don't usually do. (The <30 minute episodes and every episode ending in some kind of minor or major cliffhanger make it really easy to do.) In seasons going forward it will be fun to watch the exes grow as a League of Frenemies, and it's great to see Julie get involved and to have the fairly inconsequential hostility we see in the movie be developed into a full fledged A-hole (if a lovable one because of how this universe works). I hope she gets to fight someone next season!

I don't want to brag but I called the kidnapper being Future Scott in the third episode. :smug: OK, maybe I wanted to brag a little.

mutantIke posted:

No Beck though :(
:smith:Yeah, I like the Sex Bob-Omb song they have in there all right, but I wish they had more than one, and obviously they were never going to be as good as when they had Beck writing their songs. Even allowing for the fact that they weren't gonna get Beck, it was little disappointing to not see more of the band - or Stephen and Knives' band!

Larryb posted:

So is anyone in the Scott Pilgrim show besides Mae Whitman a professional voice actor out of curiosity? They don’t do a terrible job or anything but you can tell from some of the performances that a lot of them are more used to on camera work
I imagine some of the stops in the studio were pretty drat quick given the schedules and rates of a lot of this cast, and that few people were actually able to read scenes together. If they had more time and money to get the actors together and do some rehearsal and poo poo they probably would've turned in better performances. Plaza's reads in particular felt pretty slapdash. Some actors just don't do great reading lines cold with no opposing energy to play off, but I wasn't really distracted by any acting. (If you think of it as a bad anime dub it kind of adds to the style. :v:)

Whitman definitely engaged full cartoon VA mode and maybe should've moderated herself a bit, to not make everybody else seem comparatively muted!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love how much you can tell O'Malley regrets how he handled Lucas Lee originally. He's got to be one of the top 5 characters now.
Oh, easily. I wonder if Evans' and Wright's interpretation of him helped O'Malley realize the character's potential.

ImpAtom posted:

Chris Evans does such a loving good job.
On one level he's just doing the same Lucas Lee he did in the movie, but I really do feel like he has tried to tailor the voice to the drawing, which itself is very funny. Love the doofy smiles, especially when they persist through him being told things that would make him stop smiling if he wasn't so dumb.

Ccs posted:

Just watched some clips where Chris Evans talks about filming Scott Pilgrim as the most fun he's had in his whole career, he kept wanting to just hang out with the rest of the cast even after they filmed his parts, and that the email thread with the rest of the cast is still ongoing as they keep up.
That fuckin' guy, man. I remember reading a GQ (or something) profile from him from early in his career, maybe around when First Avenger came out, and the profiler was like, "look, I try to be objective when I write these things, but Chris Evans is the best guy ever and I love him and want him to be my best friend."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

They're pretty understated but I also really liked this interpretation of the twins. "We wouldn't mess with you, our robot says we're bros in the future." "Later, bro."

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Have they said anything about a second season for Scott Pilgrim?

I'm mostly curious because of the massive amount of WE BETTER GET A SECOND SEASON AFTER THAT CLIFFHANGER ENDING that I've seen around and I am completely goddamn baffled.

Like, it straight up said via title card that the last few minutes were the epilogue of the story and the "cliffhanger" seemed pretty clearly just a "the wheel keeps turning" / joke.

I wouldn't say no to spending more time with this version of the cast and what further misadventures could happen, but this struck me as a pretty tidy, self-contained little thing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What made me laugh was Simon Pegg and Nick Frost doing their Hot Fuzz characters, but as security guards

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nikumatic posted:

I'm mostly curious because of the massive amount of WE BETTER GET A SECOND SEASON AFTER THAT CLIFFHANGER ENDING that I've seen around and I am completely goddamn baffled.

Like, it straight up said via title card that the last few minutes were the epilogue of the story and the "cliffhanger" seemed pretty clearly just a "the wheel keeps turning" / joke.

I believe O'Malley has said it's like 85% exactly what you say with 15% "hey if Netflix want more..."

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What made me laugh was Simon Pegg and Nick Frost doing their Hot Fuzz characters, but as security guards

It's weird, I could immediately recognize Pegg but Frost was less clear - I assumed it was him but had to actively look at the credits to confirm it. It was really cool to have that tie in though.

Did Anamanaguchi do all of the music throughout the series? There was some really nice stuff in there even just in terms of the background music that I'd want to revisit. That track where Kim and Knives were just jamming out was particularly a standout, some really smooth dream pop/shoegaze vibes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SirSamVimes posted:

I really like the fact there was no mention of "just a phase" or "bucurious". Roxie was just as legitimate a relationship as the rest.

Also the fact that Kim starts to say "I'm not into girls" then decides to give it a go because why not and then in the epilogue appears to have obtained a girlfriend.

That's just her coworker, I don't think anything is implied by that.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

M_Gargantua posted:

That's just her coworker, I don't think anything is implied by that.

That's what I thought too and it seemed to imply her "whatever" comment to Lucas Lee got him interested in her. He also stares at her when she leaves in a way that makes it seem he has a crush on her now.

I really liked they had the exes find other people towards the end. I especially liked when the exes all wanted Scott to kiss Ramona in the theater to show they have all moved on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Misunderstood posted:

I imagine some of the stops in the studio were pretty drat quick given the schedules and rates of a lot of this cast, and that few people were actually able to read scenes together. If they had more time and money to get the actors together and do some rehearsal and poo poo they probably would've turned in better performances. Plaza's reads in particular felt pretty slapdash. Some actors just don't do great reading lines cold with no opposing energy to play off, but I wasn't really distracted by any acting. (If you think of it as a bad anime dub it kind of adds to the style. :v:)

Whitman definitely engaged full cartoon VA mode and maybe should've moderated herself a bit, to not make everybody else seem comparatively muted!

I mean, to be fair Whitman has had decades of experience both as an actress and as a VA (one of her earliest roles regarding the latter was in Johnny Bravo) so it makes sense she’d be a bit more adept then some of her less experienced costars

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's weird, I could immediately recognize Pegg but Frost was less clear - I assumed it was him but had to actively look at the credits to confirm it. It was really cool to have that tie in though.

For me it was the opposite, Frost is doing his "Danny Butterman" voice, whereas Pegg has a more generic delivery

Mat Cauthon posted:

Did Anamanaguchi do all of the music throughout the series?

I was extremely pleased and surprised to hear United States Of Whatever. I love that Anamanaguchi chiptune cover of "God Only Knows" though.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 20, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

For me it was the opposite, Frost is doing his "Danny Butterman" voice, whereas Pegg has a more generic delivery

I was extremely pleased and surprised to hear United States Of Whatever. I love that Anamanaguchi chiptune cover of "God Only Knows" though.

Dead Kennedys too I liked Lucas Lee immensely more for his music taste

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like the movie implied he's in love with Scott with the whole "And there he is." bit, but in a way he's comfortable with the fact that it's never going to be a thing and he's happy just being his friend (but also willing to give him a kick in the rear end)

It's kind of interesting in the show how Wallace is one of the few people who becomes a worse person without Scott around. Like, he's the one guy who Scott was a good influence on. It'd be cool to see their friendship explored more in future seasons, though I doubt there will be future seasons....

Scott Pilgrim anime is good, but since it's on Netflix and they LOVE canceling animated shows after one season it's extremely unlikely we'll be getting more which is a shame.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vampire Panties posted:

Dead Kennedys too I liked Lucas Lee immensely more for his music taste

That specifically was the Tony Hawk Pro Skater reference

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's kind of interesting in the show how Wallace is one of the few people who becomes a worse person without Scott around. Like, he's the one guy who Scott was a good influence on. It'd be cool to see their friendship explored more in future seasons, though I doubt there will be future seasons....

Scott Pilgrim anime is good, but since it's on Netflix and they LOVE canceling animated shows after one season it's extremely unlikely we'll be getting more which is a shame.

You say that, but we have Arcane, Castlevania, Hilda, Dragon Prince, and probably others I haven't watched that Netflix keeps producing. I am still bothered that they killed The OA (not animated, just my favorite show they killed) but I think on the animation side of things Netflix has shown some good judgment. With Scott Pilgrim being so well received I see no reason not to expect more

edit: forgot Love, Death and Robots

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 20, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Turpitude posted:

You say that, but we have Arcane, Castlevania, Hilda, Dragon Prince, and probably others I haven't watched that Netflix keeps producing. I am still bothered that they killed The OA (not animated, just my favorite show they killed) but I think on the animation side of things Netflix has shown some good judgment. With Scott Pilgrim being so well received I see no reason not to expect more

Though Dragon Prince only has 2 more seasons left and Hilda will be airing its final one next month

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Well they also just cancelled three more animated series last week, none of which looked especially worth watching to begin with, so perhaps they should simply continue making the ones that are actually good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Turpitude posted:

Carmen Sandiego and both He-Man shows got multiple seasons too, with a possible third season on the way for Masters of the Universe: Revelation/Revolution if the new season does well in January which signs are pointing to it happening. It wouldn't surprise me that we see a second season of Takes Off eventually, given the response and the sequel hook at the end though. At this point the only people who seem to really vehemently dislike the show are the ones who appear to have missed the point of the original comics completely.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Hilda, a little teaser for Season 3 released a few days ago

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dsYhnDU438M

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

There's also a bit later with them eating Cornetto cones.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Interesting to see some of the minor changes from the very beginning, in particular the fact that Wallace starts the series fed up with Scott crashing in his apartment and wants him to leave, whereas in the comics he spent three books enabling Scott in every possible way and then kicked him out so suddenly that it almost constituted attempted murder.

(I asssume this is because the author realized that there's no reasonable explanation for Wallace's behavior except "he's secretly in love with Scott" and that he definitely didn't want that to be the story he was telling.)

It's also been much more clear about :

a) the fact that Scott's relationship with Knives was incredibly limited, to the point of removing the scene where she suddenly kisses him so it can be explicit that they've never kissed, and
b) absolutely everybody Scott knows regards it as the most garbage thing imaginable anyway.

Wallace being in love with Scott would not only be cliche but also boring.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Nikumatic posted:

I don’t know that it’s a “cliffhanger” so much as it’s that the first season ended up in a type of stasis that would make a good basis for continued adventures. It didn’t make you want to “see what happens” in the sense of resolving a story, but rather in imagining what other stories might be told. I’m just kind of assuming it will get a second season because it’s gotten massive buzz and I’m pretty sure will end up being very successful.

Establishing things like “Gideon, Matthew and Julie are an axis now” or “Lucas ruined his career but is happy as a barista” or “Knives is the best musician of the friend group” makes us want to see more of these things!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'd watch 10 seasons of Scott Pilgrim Takes Off with just the characters getting into crazy shenannigans and bouncing off each other. But with that cast, who wouldn't want to just chill with them for hours.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i can't wait for the sequel, Knives Chau Has a Generally Pleasant Time (24 episodes)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My big concern is that you'd have to ask what kind of story O'Malley wants to tell. The story very much revolved around Scott and Ramona's relationship and with the exes. What do you do? Bring Lisa in to shake things up?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You could just drop the whole "plot" thing and do a sitcom.

"This is my girlfriend, Ramona. We live in Toronto, Canada, in the same town as her seven evil exes and my former archenemies (they are the same)." seems like a reasonable sitcom gimmick.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...aza-1234877646/

Welp, that also answers my question.

quote:

Finally, do you have plans to do any more with this show, or is this a self-contained unit?
O’Malley: It’s self-contained for now. We loved what we did. We put it all in there. We don’t have any ideas lying on the floor. We pretty much put them all in. I never say never, but right now, it seems like it would take about 50 different miracles simultaneously for another season to happen. So we’ll see.

Grabinski: We’re not working on it. We have no official ideas. We put everything we had into this, and we think it has a really great ending that we’re proud of. I don’t make any plans in general. Maybe some day one of us will text each other an idea that’s really great for a Season Two. But for now, my entire brain and heart is in this thing, and just getting it out into the world.

O’Malley: People are always complaining about how shows get canceled after one season. So we hedged our bets immediately, and tried to make a self-contained one season.

Grabinski: Everything that we set up emotionally and thematically in this season has closure. If there was no more TV after November 18, I’d be fine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I gave scott pilgrim an honest shot, especially since my irl pals would not stop talking about it, but it loving sucks and is bad.

Blue Eyed Samurai, however, is even better than this thread made me think it would be. Holy poo poo this show rules.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

My big concern is that you'd have to ask what kind of story O'Malley wants to tell. The story very much revolved around Scott and Ramona's relationship and with the exes. What do you do? Bring Lisa in to shake things up?

O'Malley has said repeatedly that he's done telling the story of "Scott Pilgrim", but wouldn't be opposed to revisiting the characters in whatever way down the line. That was like 10 years ago after Vol. 6 and the movie came out back to back. Though he's also said as part of the press junket for Takes Off that the show getting a second season would take "a miracle", primarily because getting the cast back together a third time and O'Malley finding the time and/or idea to write another story is currently a big ask.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, I think half the reason it even got done this time is that the cast did one of those Zoom table reads for charity during the early days of lockdown in 2020 and had a blast.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I find it loving hilarious that apparently the cast originally got back in touch was because they had a group e-mail chain together and someone posted a meme.

Nine years later, Michael Cera replied all "Oh, that's funny" and Chris Evans replied "Michael what the gently caress are you doing responding to a nine year old e-mail".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nikumatic posted:

I find it loving hilarious that apparently the cast originally got back in touch was because they had a group e-mail chain together and someone posted a meme.

Nine years later, Michael Cera replied all "Oh, that's funny" and Chris Evans replied "Michael what the gently caress are you doing responding to a nine year old e-mail".

Well clearly it was funny, Chris. :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nikumatic posted:

It's the funniest possible actor/character combination for that to happen to.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cera, looking at his phone a decade later: "heh, that's actually hilarious"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I mean, I believe this and they were smart to treat this as a one time opportunity. That said, I'm sure if Netflix came back offering to finance a second season they'd somehow find the motivation and inspiration to keep exploring where season 1 left off.

Getting the various cast members back in the recording booth would probably be the trickiest part but none of them are so busy that it couldn't be figured out with sufficient advanced notice.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

What they say about the self contained story makes sense and if we only get 1 season of this I'm happy.

I obviously want more but I understand why that might not happen, and I would rather we not get a 2nd if the creators' passion isn't there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The bit in this week's Krapopolis where the adventure party got brutally murdered sure was much.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So when I started watching Scott Pilgrim on Saturday, I wasn't really comfortable with the swerve or the direction they decided to go in. I haven't read the comic or seen the movie since they came out, so I would have been fine with just a new adaptation that changed a few things up, fleshed some things out, maybe even had a new ending.

But I slept on it, and as soon as I picked up where I left off last night, I was totally into it. Good series. I kinda wish someone told me sooner that it has Will Forte singing "Konya wa Hurricane" from the 80s anime Bubblegum Crisis, because then I probably wouldn't have had to sleep on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nikumatic posted:

such an awesome story. You can tell this cast got so close. I need to put on the commentary tracks on the bluray again. That was so fun