Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God I really want the OLED now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kwolok posted:

My 1TB arrives tomorrow!

Ditto here with my 512. I guess it pays to live an hour and a half from the distribution center! (This time at least, last time it was a warehouse in IL instead of one in SoCal lol)

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Mine is still in packaging, went from not being interested in the steam deck to “is a man not entitled to the OLED of his game?”

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Bad news everybody waiting for their Decks in Colorado and the rest of the west, dumbfuck andy tried to ford the Blue River and he died and all of the Decks from Chicago fell into the river

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Getting my 512 GB Deck tomorrow as well.

I want to send my old Deck to my sister and her partner. For clearing that out, do I need to do anything else aside from updating everything then hitting the factory reset button in the options?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
It looks beautifulllll

Can't get the Dead Space HDR mode to turn on though... RE2 turned right on

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there a screen protector for the non AG, original steam deck that has some AG quality to it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Unlucky7 posted:

Getting my 512 GB Deck tomorrow as well.

I want to send my old Deck to my sister and her partner. For clearing that out, do I need to do anything else aside from updating everything then hitting the factory reset button in the options?
Pretty sure factory reset should be fine, yeah.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mine says Wednesday but I live 15 minutes from CLT so sometimes I wake up to good luck…

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't wait for everyone to get their new Decks so they can stop posting every update of their ordering and shipping process!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't wait for everyone to get their new Decks so they can stop posting every update of their ordering and shipping process!

I got mine and it sure is great. Thought you should know.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kneelbeforezog posted:

How does this work? So when Im limiting fps to say 40 to keep a game smooth, by having a 90hz panel instead of a 60hz panel, the 90hz plays a key role in..?
40 FPS at 80 Hz doesn't look appreciably different than 40 FPS at 40 Hz. The benefit is reduced input latency.

At 40 Hz, each frame is displayed for 25 ms. Now, this is a simplified description of triple buffering for the sake of discussion, but in order for a game to generate content at 40 FPS it have to take your inputs before rendering a frame, then it takes 25 ms to render, waits up to 25 ms for the currently displayed frame to finish scanning out (to avoid screen tearing) then scans out (displays) for a third 25 ms. All this means there's a 50 ms delay minimum between pressing an input and when that input is reflected in an updated display.

Now, for 40 FPS at 80 Hz it still takes 25 ms to render a frame, waits only 12.5 ms for the current frame to finish scan out, then scans out twice for 25 ms total. Thus, the minimum input latency is reduced to 37.5 ms.

Now, all that said, quite a few folks can see PWM flicker on the LCD Deck's display at 40 Hz, which would go away at 80 Hz. So for those folks the screen may genuinely look better at higher refresh rates.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 21, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

Every day after it is delivered, I will make sure to update the thread that the shipping page still says "Delivered on _______"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also on the 90hz thing, it's worth remembering the LCDeck still uses multiples for FPS limits. So a 30fps lock still uses the 60hz refresh. So the multiples thing is nothing new, it just has more multiples to play with on a 90hz screen.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Alan_Shore posted:

Just for this I'm going to post pictures.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I use my deck for emulation 70% of the time and I really like the per game performance settings feature where you can down clock everything and reduce the TDP
all the way such that the fan doesn’t even spin but you don’t drop frames. You don’t even have to go all balls out with the power tools and have it consume less than 3W total

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Had anyone seen anything about the 200-1040 bug in 3.5.5? I got it today on LCD :ohdear: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/0/7529517132617601916/

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Now, all that said, quite a few folks can see PWM dlicket on the LCD Deck's display at 40 Hz, which would go away at 80 Hz. So for those folks the screen may genuinely look better at higher refresh rates.
Now I'm sure this is some sort of technical term that I just don't understand, but I had to go back and read it again to make sure I read it right, and I'm still not 100% certain that I didn't have a mini-stroke in the middle of that sentence.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Moonlight question since I’ve been dicking about with streaming the last few days. Is there any reason why it wouldn’t launch Big Picture mode on startup? If I launch BP mode myself it works fine but it’s really irritating having to get up and do something the program is meant to do itself and every troubleshooting post I find on Moonlight stuff is snarky Linux Guy “read the docs” poo poo.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

FYI the Limited Edition is still available, in mockery of us who had meltdowns on that wretched time of November 16 1PM EST.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Animal posted:

FYI the Limited Edition is still available, in mockery of us who had meltdowns on that wretched time of November 16 1PM EST.

F very first world problems, but Gound out im getting gifted a 1tb forChristmas but I can't track it because I didn't buy itso hoping maybe it gets here early enough and it's easy to turn in and pay the difference for the limited

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Must have not been that limited then, I grabbed it at 10pm on the 16th.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

What if it's like a manager's special and they tell you it's limited but it's actually barely rotten fish, it's the barely rotten fish edition

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Squiggle posted:

What if it's like a manager's special and they tell you it's limited but it's actually barely rotten fish, it's the barely rotten fish edition

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As much an awesome upgrade the OLED model is, I wonder if demand was lower than anticipated. A roughly $550 upgrade is tough to swallow.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It’s my first deck so I figured I’d go all in with the LE.

I guess some folks rather hold off on the OLED for the Deck 2 in 2-3 years or whatever.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

What am I supposed to do for the next 2-3 years? Affix my eyes on they same LCD screen I've been using the last 18 months?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

minusX posted:

Had anyone seen anything about the 200-1040 bug in 3.5.5? I got it today on LCD :ohdear: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/0/7529517132617601916/

Does it actually affect performance or is it a case of people seeing different numbers in the overlay after an update and jumping to the conclusion that something must be broken?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

There definitely are people saying that it's causing audio crackling, which would be kind of a neat trick. If it was ramping the CPU and the audio crackled I could understand. Probably a lot of unrelated things going on.

Also my UPS date just switched from Wednesday to "Pending delivery date". :rip: Seems like they picked it up. I provide this update because I know you all care.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I see the wiki seems to be down.
What's the best way for an idiot to install stuff that has windows exe installers? Like I hear use wine but that seems to just open an interface IDK how to use.
I wanna play sim city 2k. the archive.org good version, not the lovely gog version :(

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Short version: Go to desktop mode. Go into steam and add the installer executable as a non steam app and run it through steam. After it installs, add the installed app which is in home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/ in a subdirectory and you can run it through steam or on the steam deck side.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Harlock posted:

As much an awesome upgrade the OLED model is, I wonder if demand was lower than anticipated. A roughly $550 upgrade is tough to swallow.

I think we've just got so used to new hardware launches being a loving nightmare and a dream for scalpers, that we're a bit blindsided by actually being able to log on and just buy the thing - even days later.

Seen some people around the World Wide Web Information Super Highway who almost seem annoyed that the LE is still in stock. Maybe there's just a middle ground between making something "limited" and only making like 10 of them that all go to scalpers instantly.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
There is literally no reason for something like the Deck to sell out immediately, even a "limited" edition. Not to get all soap boxy, but it is a particularly hosed-up form of consumerism to hope that only a handful of a thing is available, and entire disciplines exist around actually anticipating and meeting demand. Valve is a massive company with a poo poo ton of experts spanning a huge range of fields, so they should be able to make a physical product without immediately dumping everyone into a backorder queue. Even the fact that the store was having issues right after launch is kind of shameful, but whatever.

Anyway, it's pretty cool that Valve also seems clear-eyed enough to identify the SD's genuine weaknesses. Performance is perfectly fine given the relatively marginal alternatives available, but the screen and battery were really the biggest weak points. It's weird and nice for a PC gaming-focused company to chase something other than Big Numbers.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

BoldFace posted:

Does it actually affect performance or is it a case of people seeing different numbers in the overlay after an update and jumping to the conclusion that something must be broken?

I had audio crackling and for sure performance issues in a game that ran fine previously

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Paradoxish posted:

There is literally no reason for something like the Deck to sell out immediately, even a "limited" edition. Not to get all soap boxy, but it is a particularly hosed-up form of consumerism to hope that only a handful of a thing is available, and entire disciplines exist around actually anticipating and meeting demand.

Yep.

The limited edition will be limited in as much as that one day you won't be able to log onto Steam and just add one to your cart, because they'll have sold the last one and won't be making more (at least of this exact variant). That we've been tuned to expect "limited" means that happens after 90 seconds is a poo poo reflection on other products and stores.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Animal posted:

If by some chance the Limited Edition is still available around Dec 15th when I get paid next I'll probably pick it up, but otherwise I'll probably grab the 512GB OLED.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
With the ability to throw GoG/EGS games on the main hard drive, that 1TB seems like a solid purchase. Add a microSD card and you could have 100ish games you probably won’t play on your deck at one time!

The whole process for the deck and how easy it is to use and set up has me looking at Index rather covetously…

Bumhead posted:

Yep.

The limited edition will be limited in as much as that one day you won't be able to log onto Steam and just add one to your cart, because they'll have sold the last one and won't be making more (at least of this exact variant). That we've been tuned to expect "limited" means that happens after 90 seconds is a poo poo reflection on other products and stores.

Valve is still trying to build up a consumer base: they can’t afford to run out of units like Sony or even Microsoft can.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Transcribed from a couple of posts elsewhere, but useful here. First part is about running multiple Windows executables within one game's data. Second part is about using WINEDLLOVERRIDES to use DLLs.

None of this is needed if you're just installing games from Steam and not modding them.

Steam will install all the extra dependencies a game itself needs when you first start it on the Deck. This is one of the advantages of Steam over, say, GoG where you may have to do this stuff yourselves. DA:O is a good example: it needs Nvidia physx and you won't even know that if you use Steam, it all just works out of the box when you launch the game.

But sometimes a mod will need something extra like vcredist or the .Net runtime libraries that were not required by that game. This is where protontricks comes in - it can install most dependencies for you.

The only thing you need to know is the idea of a "prefix", which is a folder created by Proton or Wine that contains a mini-Windows install. There's one of these for each Steam game, created by Stream when you first run the game. So if a game stores its ini files in My Documents on Windows, that folder will be inside that game's prefix folder on the Deck.

Protontricks knows of the prefix for each game and will let you install vcredist and other common dependencies in those prefixes. And this is done through the GUI. Super handy. Just be aware the GUI will sometimes disappear with no feedback when you select stuff, just give it a few moments and it will reappear.

There's also a protontricks-launch command line program that will let you run any Windows exe file inside of a specific prefix. So if you look at the DA:O guide linked below, I need to run a couple of exes - more like 4-5 actually - when modding the game. I show how to use protontricks-launch to do this.

Basically when you read "prefix", think "Windows install for a specific game." Protontricks lets you run programs inside a given prefix, installers or whatever else.

This DA:O modding guide I made has examples of using Protontricks to run Windows executables using the same prefix as a game. It's quite a handy trick to know for Deck modding in general.

https://gist.github.com/v1ld/bbff0fbfb89bf0255cb672b97e4f72c0

This next bit is only needed if you're using mods with certain Windows DLLs in them.

For DLLs, main thing to know about Proton/Wine on Deck is that they themselves contain versions of common Windows DLLs like dinput8.dll. Unlike normal Windows behavior where a dll inside an executable's folder gets priority over the system's own copy, Proton will ignore the file in the game's folder and use its own version (which has been optimized for Linux).

The WINEDLLOVERRIDES environment variable gives specific instructions to control this override behavior. dinput8.dll=n,b instructs Proton to give preference to the n(ative) version over its internal version. "Native" being the version in the game's folder.

That's basically all you need to do - if a mod you're using has an override of a Windows DLL then add it to the overrides variable. For example, ICE overrides version.dll from Windows. So you'd change it to dinput8,version=n,b.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 21, 2023

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Bad news: Tested positive for Covid
Good news, that means I'll be home when the Steam Deck comes in tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

With the ability to throw GoG/EGS games on the main hard drive, that 1TB seems like a solid purchase. Add a microSD card and you could have 100ish games you probably won’t play on your deck at one time!

The whole process for the deck and how easy it is to use and set up has me looking at Index rather covetously…

Valve is still trying to build up a consumer base: they can’t afford to run out of units like Sony or even Microsoft can.

I'll sell you mine if you're in the NYC area. Kids have basically killed my ability to setup and play VR for the next several years until they're older and I can more safely just cut myself off from the entire outside world.