Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

When you complete the first mission int he religious part of the tree, you can select whether you want Sunni, Shia, or Zoroastrian missions. I believe selecting Zoroastrian will also begin an event chain which converts your country

Warning: It will cause a LOT of fairly large rebellion stacks so make sure your army and manpower are prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thinking of trying the Shia path with the Black Sheep.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did a "this is Persia" achievement run in 135. Is it still possible to get comically high discipline as Zoroastrian Persia in the current setup?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CommonShore posted:

I did a "this is Persia" achievement run in 135. Is it still possible to get comically high discipline as Zoroastrian Persia in the current setup?

Yeah, although if you form Eranshahr (zoro Persian tag) you can get a different idea set with less discipline, so maybe compare them beforehand and decide if you want to ditch Persian ideas or not.

By the time you get rolling, even with the Eranshahr ideas your army still deletes enemy stacks, it's very satisfying.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
This is a very weird question but does anyone recall which nation it is that has the event which gives them something like warrior monks?
I am sure it was an african nation, and I'm sure the event revolves around 'there used to be a warrior kingdom, let's bring it back' and there are some pretty strong army buffs.
Part of me feels that the event flips you christian? Don't really recall.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Iymarra posted:

This is a very weird question but does anyone recall which nation it is that has the event which gives them something like warrior monks?
I am sure it was an african nation, and I'm sure the event revolves around 'there used to be a warrior kingdom, let's bring it back' and there are some pretty strong army buffs.

The Teutons have an event that turn them into a Holy Horde...?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Iymarra posted:

Orleans can get warrior nuns

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Orleans_events#The_Militant_Order_of_Saint_Joan

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zoroastrianism is kinda funny to me, because I know so little about its history, or rituals, or beliefs in general, playing as them in eu4 kinda feels like playing an Anbennar nation. Anyway it’s fun

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Zoroastrianism is kinda funny to me, because I know so little about its history, or rituals, or beliefs in general, playing as them in eu4 kinda feels like playing an Anbennar nation. Anyway it’s fun

Zoroastrian is fun and I wish there were more insane mission trees and nations able to use mechanics like that!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hi thread, I am contemplating updating EU 4 for another run and need recommendations. This is currently my DLC situation. If you had to pick just one, which one would you recommend for a player who typically likes to play a European colonizer? If there is nothing I don't own that is really good for that, I can be sold on a particularly cool East Asian (China or Japan) pack.

TIA

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MikeC posted:

Hi thread, I am contemplating updating EU 4 for another run and need recommendations. This is currently my DLC situation. If you had to pick just one, which one would you recommend for a player who typically likes to play a European colonizer? If there is nothing I don't own that is really good for that, I can be sold on a particularly cool East Asian (China or Japan) pack.

TIA

Buy the subscription for a month or two and cancel it when you’ve had your fill.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah if you're budgeting $10, two months of the subscription is gonna be way better than any single DLC

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Yes of course this is the correct play. Thanks for the advice.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm wondering, if I fully annex the target of this mission, will it count as successful, failed, or neither?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jay Rust posted:

I'm wondering, if I fully annex the target of this mission, will it count as successful, failed, or neither?

i'd imagine they have to still exist to be eclipsed, probably failed, maybe neither

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Iymarra posted:

Are you talking about Mutapa, who can spawn Zulu who get Prussian gov stuff?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ajam -> Persia/Iran -> Eranshahr

Fun Mission Tree, Fun Religion.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My own persia attempt is going... slowly. Started as Adarbil, growing to a respectable size, though now my one valid rival is the ottoman empire, who has 4 times my force limit and better army quality, and they're right at my doorstep, and I can't get any of their rivals to ally me (disgusting europeans). I'm sad

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

My own persia attempt is going... slowly. Started as Adarbil, growing to a respectable size, though now my one valid rival is the ottoman empire, who has 4 times my force limit and better army quality, and they're right at my doorstep, and I can't get any of their rivals to ally me (disgusting europeans). I'm sad

Starting as Ardabil makes it a lot harder - by the time you're able to ramp up, the Ottomans or Mamluks are snowballing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Apparently I passed 4.6k hours yesterday. :cripes:

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Trying to get the Spaghetti western" achievement, and half way through i realized I have no idea how to even turn myself into Texas or Mexico, I doubt I can just 'release vassal-> play as' with a colonial faction, right?

So do i have to sell all my Italian land, or culture shift, or how exactly do I go from here?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think you can release colonial nations as free and click a play as button, but it's been ages so I'm not certain.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Wiki says you can just release as a colonial nation, *or* move capital before a CN forms.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

On the subject screen there is a special button for releasing and playing as your colonial nation. No clue if the achievement allows for that, or requires you to migrate your capital.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What I see people do on youtube is move their capital to South Georgia (in the South Atlantic) before having a colonial nation form (by owning 5 counties in a given region, so before the 5th), and then from there you can move it to the mainland.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
Thanks everyone, i guess I'll just move my capital into south America then and go on from there until Texas and Mexico can pop up

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

CommonShore posted:

What I see people do on youtube is move their capital to South Georgia (in the South Atlantic) before having a colonial nation form (by owning 5 counties in a given region, so before the 5th), and then from there you can move it to the mainland.

From one of the three islands that belong to South America but are not in a colonial region (South Georgia, Falklands, Galapagos) and then to somewhere in colonial North America. Or conversely, from Greenland or Bermuda to colonial South America. Or from one isolated colony in Africa, Asia or Oceania, to anywhere (except you can't go from an Oceania island to Australia).

The actual requirement for moving your capital to a colonial region if it's not already in one, is that it must be the only province in a state on its continent. Trivially true if you're an OPM, otherwise you have to jump through some hoops. There are no such restrictions on moving to another continent that is NOT part of a colonial region, hence the option of going from a Europe start to a single African or Asian colony, or a Pacific island -- as long as your temporary capital is the only province you own in its state, and you don't make any other states on that continent. People most often use one of the Atlantic islands, or a singular colony on the African coast, since those are least out of the way.

(Similarly an Asian or African tag could move its capital via some isolated godforsaken European province.)

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I remember doing Spaghetti Western by handing off all but one of my European provinces to a vassal and then hopping over, though that does weaken the income and force limit quite a lot before you have enough land to actually form Texas. On the other hand the native nations won't attack you as long as you're allied to Austria or whoever so you can still colonize freely.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

Groke posted:

From one of the three islands that belong to South America but are not in a colonial region (South Georgia, Falklands, Galapagos) and then to somewhere in colonial North America. Or conversely, from Greenland or Bermuda to colonial South America. Or from one isolated colony in Africa, Asia or Oceania, to anywhere (except you can't go from an Oceania island to Australia).

The actual requirement for moving your capital to a colonial region if it's not already in one, is that it must be the only province in a state on its continent. Trivially true if you're an OPM, otherwise you have to jump through some hoops. There are no such restrictions on moving to another continent that is NOT part of a colonial region, hence the option of going from a Europe start to a single African or Asian colony, or a Pacific island -- as long as your temporary capital is the only province you own in its state, and you don't make any other states on that continent. People most often use one of the Atlantic islands, or a singular colony on the African coast, since those are least out of the way.

(Similarly an Asian or African tag could move its capital via some isolated godforsaken European province.)

Moved my capital to Eiriksfjord, I got one owned province in South America here in Sotuta and a Colony subject in South America, yet I can not move my capitol to Sotuta, where did I gently caress up?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The wiki says that releasing and playing as a colonial nation is fine for this achievement

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

skipThings posted:

Moved my capital to Eiriksfjord, I got one owned province in South America here in Sotuta and a Colony subject in South America, yet I can not move my capitol to Sotuta

Do you have any other states in North America? Looks like there's some stuff in your colour there that's not inside your colonial nation... the moment you moved to Greenland, new provinces acquired in North America would no longer automatically be assigned to a colonial subject (and you could no longer create new CNs there either).

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

Groke posted:

Do you have any other states in North America? Looks like there's some stuff in your colour there that's not inside your colonial nation... the moment you moved to Greenland, new provinces acquired in North America would no longer automatically be assigned to a colonial subject (and you could no longer create new CNs there either).

It's just Eiriksfjord, Sotuta, where I want to go and that CN in South America, but Sotuta is not a CN province. It is still directly controlled by me

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

I'm really annoyed that Texas gets unique ideas, but Haiti doesn't. The Haitian revolution actually happened in the game's time frame!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know, the worst feeling in the game, and maybe in life, is a 10+ year regency council

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

skipThings posted:

It's just Eiriksfjord, Sotuta, where I want to go and that CN in South America, but Sotuta is not a CN province. It is still directly controlled by me

Sorry. I misread the map.

Sotuta is in North America so you cannot move there. You can't move to South America either unless you unstate Sotuta first.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Basically: get a single province in South America, in a different region from your CN there.

Unstate Sotuta, now you can move to your new province.

Now you can own everything in the New World directly, and move your capital anywhere. Get some Texas clay, move capital once more, get enough more clay, finish achievement.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
Nothing to be sorry about, you are helping me with my nonsense here after all, now I just need to find some place to squeeze in that is not full of spaniards already

edit : Alright that worked, just cost me approximately 1k admin points but whatever, lol

Thanks to everyone who helped

skipThings fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 27, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

You know, the worst feeling in the game, and maybe in life, is a 10+ year regency council

truly, monarchies are the worst government type

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

TaurusTorus posted:

I'm really annoyed that Texas gets unique ideas, but Haiti doesn't. The Haitian revolution actually happened in the game's time frame!
You could do really cool poo poo with their NIs too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Kurgarra Queen posted:

You could do really cool poo poo with their NIs too!

I know, a rebellious kingdom of former slaves? Lotta stuff could go on there.