Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Warmachine posted:

If SRW30's treatment of Narrative is anything to go by, the SRW treatment of SEED:F will actually make the story enjoyable and develop the characters further than the movie did.

And after its one, maybe two prominent appearances SFreedom will also probably end up like Endless Waltz and more recently A Wakening of the Trailblazer as filler series to round out the roster. You'll get the main hero suits and whichever battleship is most important and they'll use the bad guy mook in the game and maybe feature a recurring boss. The series will be There but mostly turn into secondary supporting characters for the plots and shows that are actually going to be in focus. Which is actually how DESTINY (and many other series for that matter) eventually ended up as well, there's a handful of games where Shinn and Kira and Luna and maybe Athrun just happen to be there and do giant robot fights and help out but don't really matter that much to the overall plot. See UX where Shinn and Luna are hanging out with the Fafner cast or V where they folded DESTINY into Cross Ange and everyone hit on Athrun.

To do a couple of points of contrast SRW V made Space Battleship Yamato into the functional protagonist series of the game, SRW X went extremely all out to centralize everything around Mashin Hero Wataru, and SRW 30 went above and beyond the call of duty to find a way to get Gridman into a central role in the story. Call me a biased hater, but I doubt SFreedom is going to get that kind of star billing even in its full story debut. I suspect they'll make it a plot relevant series in the game it debuts in (after rewriting large chunks of it) and then in any future entry it'll just file off into the mid-card with its prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Assuming we even get another SRW considering it's been two years since the last one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Instead of another SRW, we’ll get Gundam Seed Freedom skins in Fortnite.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Instead of fortnite it'll be meta metaverse exclusive.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Considering there's no more smaller scale non-HD systems for quicker development, yeah, SRW is probably gonna take a bit now. And until 30, the series had been averaging almost multiple games a year for like 15 years so I say let em take their time

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gripweed posted:

Instead of another SRW, we’ll get Gundam Seed Freedom skins in Fortnite.

Hell yeah, We can have the squad of Goku, Lewis Hamilton and Athrun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What kind of mobile suit would Lewis drive? Char already has the Ferrari sponsorship and Alpha Tauri got Yuki Tsunoda a special Grandaddy and Aerial deal.

Would you give Lewis the F91?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Something with a GN drive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedd posted:

Something with a GN drive.

GN 00 Gundam Seven Sword for seven championships, of course!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

Assuming we even get another SRW considering it's been two years since the last one.

The sad thing is that Terada might have been the only person in leadership remaining who was pushing for non-mobile SRW games and he’s gone now

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1726628921515663766?t=FeHalPJm1itIU5_OOnyBbQ&s=19

Turn A and the Greco movies are coming to Gundaminfo down the line.

yoooo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MechaX posted:

The sad thing is that Terada might have been the only person in leadership remaining who was pushing for non-mobile SRW games and he’s gone now

While it's always potentially risky for the continued life expectancy of a long-running niche series when its original facilitator/mover and shaker retires/moves on, SRW 30 was the most successful game in the franchise ever. I think it's more likely that SRW is simply too much of a development burden to expect yearly releases like they've done in the past for so long, because there's no "budget" system to release smaller titles for and because the expectation bar for production values has gotten so high. It was two and a half years between SRW T and SRW 30, and everyone was doom and glooming that SRW was dead then too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The super soldier program is the singular most heinously hosed up and evil thing anyone in the entire show has going on in 00S1, so it's not terribly surprising or inconsistent that the extremely positively portrayed sympathetic antagonist character Sergei goes "yeah maybe it was a good thing that the orphan grinder got blown up", because we're supposed to like him and him being annoyed or angry that Allelujah blew up the orphan grinder would be weird in that context.
The thing is, there were still hundreds, maybe thousands of orphans in the orphan grinder, and Al blew them up. And in his part of the plot, that was handled well! We see the good that comes from it, we see how much it fucks him up, and we're left with a feeling of sadness and exhaustion. Even if there was no better way, the best remaining option still sucked, and the heroes know it.

But the Sergei scene is off tone. It's not him resignedly admitting this might have been for the best, it's not him and Soma mourning her dead friends and the cruelty of the system that forced things to come to this. It's just saying Celestial Being did a Real Good Thing. It's the show flinching at its own themes and trying to downplay them to ensure there's no confusion about the rooting interest. Episode is still great, but it's a good symbol of one of the show's recurring weaknesses in season 1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kanos posted:

While it's always potentially risky for the continued life expectancy of a long-running niche series when its original facilitator/mover and shaker retires/moves on, SRW 30 was the most successful game in the franchise ever. I think it's more likely that SRW is simply too much of a development burden to expect yearly releases like they've done in the past for so long, because there's no "budget" system to release smaller titles for and because the expectation bar for production values has gotten so high. It was two and a half years between SRW T and SRW 30, and everyone was doom and glooming that SRW was dead then too.

Really the biggest thing that Terada took with him were any hopes of that last OG game they were brainstorming. All main games from here on out, likely.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing is, there were still hundreds, maybe thousands of orphans in the orphan grinder, and Al blew them up. And in his part of the plot, that was handled well! We see the good that comes from it, we see how much it fucks him up, and we're left with a feeling of sadness and exhaustion. Even if there was no better way, the best remaining option still sucked, and the heroes know it.

But the Sergei scene is off tone. It's not him resignedly admitting this might have been for the best, it's not him and Soma mourning her dead friends and the cruelty of the system that forced things to come to this. It's just saying Celestial Being did a Real Good Thing. It's the show flinching at its own themes and trying to downplay them to ensure there's no confusion about the rooting interest. Episode is still great, but it's a good symbol of one of the show's recurring weaknesses in season 1.

The thing is that I'm not really sure 00S1 is ever really trying to portray the protagonists in CB as being truly morally grey; they've all got messed up backgrounds to varying degrees, but that's about as far as it goes in actual practice. It's treated as a horribly flagrant violation of CB's ethical code when the Thrones decide to blow up a weapon factory that has civilian workers, which would seem like a pretty normal target of opportunity for a morally grey terrorist organization trying to end conflict. Blowing up the super soldier program is notable and treated as a big deal specifically because it flies in the face of the protagonist CB's normal approach. It's an exception to the normal rules of engagement, not the True Theme trying to peek through and then being suppressed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are the movies a compressed version of G-Reco?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

From what I understand, it's basically the same runtime since there's five movies, but some things are switched around and some things are given more explanation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And updates to animation ala the Thunderbolt film touchups from the original ONAs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/gundambattleope/status/1726828876964438235?s=20

Rozen Zulu coming to GBO2

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The thing is that I'm not really sure 00S1 is ever really trying to portray the protagonists in CB as being truly morally grey; they've all got messed up backgrounds to varying degrees, but that's about as far as it goes in actual practice. It's treated as a horribly flagrant violation of CB's ethical code when the Thrones decide to blow up a weapon factory that has civilian workers, which would seem like a pretty normal target of opportunity for a morally grey terrorist organization trying to end conflict. Blowing up the super soldier program is notable and treated as a big deal specifically because it flies in the face of the protagonist CB's normal approach. It's an exception to the normal rules of engagement, not the True Theme trying to peek through and then being suppressed.

Except it has them talking about needing to pay for what they've done all the time, it has them question their own methods, their backstories are sketchy, the plan is to make them the enemies of all mankind, we get the new Gundam team who are explicitly villains...

Celestial Being is clearly meant to have some questionable traits and to make the viewer ask questions about the morality of their methods, if only to add emotional weight to the turnaround when they rise above and become Gundam like Setsuna dreamed. But the show is so worried that the viewer will actually find them questionable that it pulls its punches to the point where it hurts the intended impact.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I disagree because I think Sergei is acting totally congruent with his character when he makes his statement. Man is a grognard who is deeply uncomfortable with the super solider program; aside from that the CB is morally grey because their goal of uniting the world can stem from two causes, cooperation driven by pursuit of furthering collective humanity or from overwhelming force by an outside party. CB S1 tries the latter and it ends up succeeding and leading to the atrocities of the A-Law's and Ribbon's Government.

Viewer's tend to disconnect the two groups but that is mistaken, S1 CB and the Innovades are operating on a continuum.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Except it has them talking about needing to pay for what they've done all the time, it has them question their own methods, their backstories are sketchy, the plan is to make them the enemies of all mankind, we get the new Gundam team who are explicitly villains...

Celestial Being is clearly meant to have some questionable traits and to make the viewer ask questions about the morality of their methods, if only to add emotional weight to the turnaround when they rise above and become Gundam like Setsuna dreamed. But the show is so worried that the viewer will actually find them questionable that it pulls its punches to the point where it hurts the intended impact.

Yes, they have sketchy backstories and are doing things that make them enemies of the established government. They never actually do anything very sketchy or villainous in the show itself, unless you find blowing up drug farms and showing up at the site of shooting conflicts and violently disarming both sides to be sketchy or villainous. The Thrones are an example of my point. They're introduced and almost immediately start doing the morally questionable stuff to advance CB's overall goals, and the protagonist Meisters are horrified and flabbergasted to the point where they literally open fire on them unprovoked because in the protagonists' eyes Celestial Being has a moral code(the aforementioned "becoming Gundam") and the Thrones are violating it. It's not even just crazy Setsuna who hates them and thinks they're loving things up; even Tieria, who in 00S1 is extremely devoted to The Mission above all else, thinks the Thrones are doing it wrong.

There is a very clear demarcation in word and deed between Celestial Being(the protagonists) and Celestial Being(the organization); the former almost never does anything particularly sketchy(super soldier facility attack being a notable exception), and the latter does a lot of things that are sketchy because it's being run by amoral sleazeballs who want power like Wang Liu Mei, Alejandro Corner, and Ribbons. 00S2 makes this division explicit instead of implicit.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 21, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Im just watching them because everytime they say Celestial Being it's hilarious

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzgS_8LBmlg

Youtube upload for those avoiding Twitter compression.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Man it is so funny to compare the Youtube comments to here. It is genuinely like people discussing two different trailers entirely

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

Im just watching them because everytime they say Celestial Being it's hilarious

The thing that gets me is the use of full names at all times

It can’t just be Setsuna referring to Saji by name, it always has to be SAJI CROSSROAD

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BRING STABBITY NOOOOOO

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I loved 00, it was my first show that I watched as it aired, but no one has any definition and everybody has perfect posture.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

1st Stage Midboss posted:

In anything that needs to put characters in a narrative context like SRW, SEED Freedom will be a slam dunk of "all your favourite SEED characters are here, with versions of their iconic robots" while also only having a movie's worth of story to involve; it's not like the original SEED being the popular one stopped them using Destiny all the time because it has the beloved SEED leads plus more. In stuff like G Generation, everything is in anyway, Freedom will just get to have greater fidelity because there's fewer battles in a movie to adapt into video game, and obviously the likes of EXVS will include new stuff when they can because that's More Mobile Suits.

Whether a given game includes The Latest Main SEED Thing wouldn't really impact whether they also use Witch From Mercury and the like, this just changes The Latest Main SEED Thing from Destiny to Freedom. More different Gundams appeals more to franchise-wide Gundam fans but also hits the distinct CE/UC/this AU/that AU fans who don't care for the other Gundams, a new SEED movie will give more reason to put SEED in but that doesn't really impact the financial decisions between if a different Gundam is in this given crossover.

SRW also seems to enjoy fixing Destiny's plot, so that's not really much of a reason.

Kanos posted:

In the first place, how much of SRW as even them being continuously working as opposed to being continuously behind? SRW V was supposed to be the 25th anniversary game, but didn't even come out til almost the 26th anniversary. It's entirely possible that V through T was just them working out their backlog. 30, meanwhile, was back on track, actually releasing on the correct year.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 21, 2023

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Arc Hammer posted:

Green hair guy at 30 seconds in looks like he's about to crush Lacus' business card.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://en.gundam.info/content/flowchart/

Gundam Info has a flowchart to determine which series is for you

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Couldn't get Victory. Sorry, it's a failchart not a flowchart

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Waffleman_ posted:

If you say you want to watch the origin of the series in the middle of the test it just tells you to watch gundam.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Twilight axis is an option

It was the first one I got

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

Twilight axis is an option

It was the first one I got

Lol same. Got recommended Twilight Axis in three questions flat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/BandaiCollect/status/1727499762218193192?s=20

HACK THE GUNDAM

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

This thing is broken, it refuses to recommend G Gundam.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm pretty sure the only result on the list before the year 2000 is 0079

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It gave me WfM instead of GReco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

haypliss posted:

It gave me WfM instead of GReco.

Shameful