Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just chose hall of famers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bernie Williams should've gotten in. Dude was CLEARLY the 2nd best centerfielder of his era after Griffey Jr. 7 years in a row of 900 OPS's as a friggin centerfielder and 3 hitter for the best team of his generation. Under 10% really was a farce.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just assumed Bernie was in ?
What is going on

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

all of the worst inductees over the years have been from committees

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I think Lofton was better but he did even worse in the voting.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Did anyone who watched baseball in the 90s/00s ever think “Scott Rolen is one of the best players in baseball”? Like maybe? If a ran through a few dozen other names first?

He was an accumulator, which is fine, and I’m not upset he’s in. But let’s not act like if he didn’t get in that people would be out there with torches and pitchforks.

I also think he gets a lot of credit for being a “clean” player in the steroid era, which is its own minefield of presumption.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Since Rolen was lumped in with Rizzuto earlier, Rolen's career OPS+ over 17 seasons was the same as Rizzuto's MVP season OPS+ in addition to winning 8 gold gloves

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's fine and good actually for guys like Rolen to get in despite being under-appreciated during their career. That's why we have stats and there is a waiting period before voting, to allow for some perspective and re-evaluation of guys like that.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I will always remember Rolen simply creating a black hole in the general area of 3rd base where baseballs went to die, regardless of how fast they were going. I remember shouting a bunch of "loving Scott Rolen"s at the TV during Cubs/Cards games

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I think Lofton was better but he did even worse in the voting.

Kenny Lofton 107 OPS+
Bernie Williams 125 OPS+

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bernie Williams was as good a defensive centre fielder as Jeter was a defensive SS

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lofton, Jones, Edmonds, and Damon all have better JAWS than Williams

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

the defensive metrics hate him and that is killing all his HOF metrics because idk how you can say 7 years in a row of 900+ OPS as a centerfielder shouldn't get you into the hall of fame IMO.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So we are in agreement that Jim Edmonds is overqualified?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

get lofton in and i'll contemplate bernie williams: hall of famer. until then, no.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I like how we got the defense is 10% of the game post right before defense played a massive part in various playoff series

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The defensive metrics hate Bernie Williams because he sucked at defense hth

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Eric the Mauve posted:

So we are in agreement that Jim Edmonds is overqualified?

can't believe they've ignored Tim Salmon all these years too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

keep Jim Edmonds out of the hall but put edmonds.swf in the hall

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

maffew buildings posted:

The defensive metrics hate Bernie Williams because he sucked at defense hth

Is Bernie Williams bad at defense?

No, it's the metrics that are wrong.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Excited for McMagic's support for George Springers HOF credentials in due time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Excited for McMagic's support for George Springers HOF credentials in due time.

No cheating astros in the hall. They literally had no other sanction whatsoever.

Edmonds should've probably been in tbh. Another elite offensive player.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
there's no way the writers find a way to keep Verlander out of the hall even with 2017 right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jim Edmonds isn’t in the hof??

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

there's no way the writers find a way to keep Verlander out of the hall even with 2017 right?

The pitchers will probably not be punished for the cheating scandal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Is Bernie Williams bad at defense?

No, it's the metrics that are wrong.

Exactly

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

neither will the hitters, aside from maybe Beltran having to wait a few years longer than he otherwise would

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I looked it up and Edmonds is somehow not only not in the hall to fame he didn’t make it past the first round of voting (2.5%)

This process needs total reform

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

neither will the hitters, aside from maybe Beltran having to wait a few years longer than he otherwise would

hilariously Altuve is the most likely to get in unless he just falls off a cliff (other than Beltran who was the mastermind)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

mcmagic posted:

You could strike that entire year from him and he still pretty easily makes it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you believe the Eye Test and the gold glove voters that Jim Edmonds was an all time great defensive CF, he is an obvious Hall of Famer.

If however you believe the fancystats that he was a merely adequate defensive CF who made a lot of diving plays on balls Andruw or Lofton would have caught flatfooted, Edmonds is a borderline candidate you can argue about which between him and the other two was overall best.

All three were better than Bernie Williams.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Bernie Williams should be in, but so should Lofton and Edmonds

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bernie Williams would be one of the worst inductees in the hall. He's not even borderline.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you believe the Eye Test and the gold glove voters that Jim Edmonds was an all time great defensive CF, he is an obvious Hall of Famer.

If however you believe the fancystats that he was a merely adequate defensive CF who made a lot of diving plays on balls Andruw or Lofton would have caught flatfooted, Edmonds is a borderline candidate you can argue about which between him and the other two was overall best.

All three were better than Bernie Williams.

Eh even at the time he was playing before the fancystats people said Edmonds would play extra shallow and for that reason ended up making a ton of diving plays that would normally be routine

Also edmonds.swf

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bernie is as good or better than Kirby Puckett

But regardless he was a great player on one of baseballs most legendary teams. He deserves in for that

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Looking forward to Tino Martinez's HOF induction speech

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

But regardless he was a great player on one of baseballs most legendary teams. He deserves in for that
This is how you get more Phils Rizzuto

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It really just depends on whether you're a big hall or small hall guy

I think historically baseball has been big hall enough that Bernie should at least get the full 10 years on the ballot (or however long it is now) even if you don't let him in

e: It's funny to see Bernie have 4 gold gloves and then you look at his dWAR and it's worse than Jeter and of his gold glove years he didn't finish with a positive dWAR a single time

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 21, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those measurements are all garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean Jim rice and Andre Dawson are in