Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I mean, a quiet place part 2? Come ooooon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
more like a quiet piss too

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I would have simply not had sex to produce a baby, just like in real life

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nikumatic posted:

more like a quiet piss poo
Fixed

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Completely got me with the gag and I love it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mike flan cool for his recs

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

lmfao that's too good

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
He's going to traumatize someone and that's objectively funny

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think so

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

get that fucker an account

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz4k8V8RuF0/

lmao

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

That's the most evil thing I've ever seen.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Flanagan is cool and good.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Nope was a brilliant retelling of the Monkey's Paw. Did everyone pick up on when each character made their wish and what it was?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Nope owns. All Jordan Peeles movies are good as heck.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Doctor Sleepy Time area is the only good Flanagan project. Everything else is fine but never good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Double post by accident but it’s true.

dorium fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 21, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didnt like dr sleepy time but I really appreicate using Elliot from ET as Jack Torrence over CGI or AI. Even when I watched it I was like okay, this is kinda cool. And the best way to do it. So good on Flan.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Dr Sleep has an insanely uncomfortable and harrowing child abduction scene in the middle of a two and a half hour Stephen King mythos snooze fest

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I cannot loving believe that this is getting a feature-length adaptation. I watched the anthology film it was part of for the October marathon, and it might have been the most forgettable segment in a movie that was literally titled Horror Anthology Volume 1 (the "Landgraves" segment was good, though). I actually rewound the segment a couple of times on initial watch, because I was sure I was missing some detail that made it click. Nope, very surface level (no pun) occurrence, which makes me morbidly curious what tons of stuff they'll need to add to bulk it out to a ninety-minute run-time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Nope was a brilliant retelling of the Monkey's Paw. Did everyone pick up on when each character made their wish and what it was?

No and I don't recall any discussion of this in the Nope thread either. Explain.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Darthemed posted:

I cannot loving believe that this is getting a feature-length adaptation. I watched the anthology film it was part of for the October marathon, and it might have been the most forgettable segment in a movie that was literally titled Horror Anthology Volume 1 (the "Landgraves" segment was good, though). I actually rewound the segment a couple of times on initial watch, because I was sure I was missing some detail that made it click. Nope, very surface level (no pun) occurrence, which makes me morbidly curious what tons of stuff they'll need to add to bulk it out to a ninety-minute run-time.

I mean it's a spooky relatable short but I agree there isn't much to it.

The ghost being a drowned lady was a bit too obvious. When it first appeared cloaked in shadow I was expecting something weirder and freakier but it does the job.

Maybe the feature is going to be a Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977) sort of deal where the entire runtime is just a bunch of dumb assholes getting into the haunted pool one after another for 70 or so minutes.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Tomie Fobidden Fruit
I don't hate this movie, but I don't think I like it.
It's kinda all over the place. The story just keeps on going. It crams a lot of stuff into an hour and a half and seems like it's in a rush to finish every idea.
Tomie isn't especially good this time around. She's mean, but not really evil.
It seemed like the forbidden fruit might be a gay relationship between Tomie and a teenage girl, but that was just one scene. Their relationship goes through some weird stages but I don't think it's supposed to be gay. That would have been an interesting idea to explore with Tomie.
There are a few interesting moments and images. At one point there's spooky music that sounds like Silent Hill. It just kinda looses anything interesting by the end. I doesn't even let the new idea of how to defeat Tomie work.
I give this movie a few extra points because the father works in the ice factory.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TheBizzness posted:

Nope owns. All Jordan Peeles movies are good as heck.

Though for some reason his Twilight Zone reboot wasn't very good.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I would love to hear this reading.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Darthemed posted:

Is that cat gonna star? Because the kitty was waaaaay more memorable than the rest.

It was decently done, but there’s minimal there there. Borderline homeopathic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doltos posted:

Methodology:

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/features/science-of-scare

Not the greatest but it's interesting to see what scares the average theater goer. I'm pretty sure most people watch everything half on their cellphones these days so I understand Sinister being at the top of the list due to all the jump scares. Stands to reason BPM goes up for that. The kid popping out of the box scared the poo poo out of me too.

It's literally just a list of movies by jump scare. These people wouldn't know what horror was if it buried a machete in their skull.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Martman posted:

Nbd I just thought it was funny. On the other hand I will say "joker is just a remake of the king of comedy" all day and, yes, it absolutely means Todd Phillips is a hack

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

one all time jump scare for me and a good example of sudden dumb horror is Brad Pitt in the closet in Burn After Reading

that movie is terrific

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I will forever think that the original House on Haunted Hill has the perfect jump scare. When that old lady pops up and then floats away, holy poo poo, it still gets me and I've seen that movie about a thousand times now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Other than the stock answer of Exorcist 3, the best jumpscare ever is the fisherman's head in Jaws.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Other than the stock answer of Exorcist 3, the best jumpscare ever is the fisherman's head in Jaws.

Yeah it's so perfectly timed. my partner had never seen Jaws until a few years ago, and when we watched it together she literally jumped in her seat

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Other than the stock answer of Exorcist 3

Imagining an alternate version of Exorcist 3 where Kinderman whips aside a shower curtain and the carp is right there

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

gey muckle mowser posted:

Yeah it's so perfectly timed. my partner had never seen Jaws until a few years ago, and when we watched it together she literally jumped in her seat

I watched Jaws in the cinema a few years back with my partner, who was also new to the film, and the entire audience jumped at the head, myself included, because I was so preoccupied waiting to see my partners reaction it managed to spook me!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
You guys are wrong :colbert:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The best jump scare is when you first see Jaws, as Brody is scooping chum

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Beyond The Black Rainbow and Mandy are absolutely better Leviathan and Rambo 2.

psycho 3 is pretty good but i think oz perkins is better than his dad as well.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It’s a thriller instead of horror, but the bit at the end of Wait Until Dark where Roat jumps out of the shadows is really good too.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Methodology:

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/features/science-of-scare

Not the greatest but it's interesting to see what scares the average theater goer. I'm pretty sure most people watch everything half on their cellphones these days so I understand Sinister being at the top of the list due to all the jump scares. Stands to reason BPM goes up for that. The kid popping out of the box scared the poo poo out of me too.

Nice to actually see the methodology. I think it's extremely flawed, though. I really don't care about heart rate spikes in particular. Being startled is not the same thing as being scared. My heart rate spikes when someone drops a glass or a car backfires, but I'm not scared, and it leaves no lasting impression on me. I suppose measuring the average heart rate shows ongoing tension while watching the movie, so that's a bit more interesting, but still, meh. I understand you can't objectively measure how much a movie sticks in your head long after seeing it, but isn't that what's really interesting?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

:laffo:

What an rear end in a top hat. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Crescent Wrench posted:

Nice to actually see the methodology. I think it's extremely flawed, though. I really don't care about heart rate spikes in particular. Being startled is not the same thing as being scared. My heart rate spikes when someone drops a glass or a car backfires, but I'm not scared, and it leaves no lasting impression on me. I suppose measuring the average heart rate shows ongoing tension while watching the movie, so that's a bit more interesting, but still, meh. I understand you can't objectively measure how much a movie sticks in your head long after seeing it, but isn't that what's really interesting?

A jump scare that startles may not be the same thing as actually being scared, but startling the audience once in a while does create a consistent underlying tension that can help put them in the frame of mind to be scared. A big part of being scared is in the buildup to the scary stuff, and jump scares can prime the audience for that and make the tension unbearable which is when you get people watching through their hands and all that. To a lot of people that's like the definition of being scared.