Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think a friend is giving me his Gene Cafe drum roaster. Anything I should open up/check on/replace to make sure it's good to go before I dump a bunch of nice beans in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I took apart my Ode the other day to clean it and recalibrate it, only to realize that one of the screws holding on the grind size dial plate had no grooves. It was perfectly smooth.

The really dumb part is I took this thing apart when I got it to put gen2 burrs in it and didn't notice. I remember one of the screws not wanting to seat and just assumed I stripped it and moved on. Its not a hyper-critical piece either way, but its really drat weird they assembled it with a defective screw.

Anyway, I contacted their support 13 months after I bought it and they are still sending me replacement screws. Side bonus: while I was browsing their site I saw they sell the gen2 feed ramp separately, and it fits the gen1 (screws sold separately for some reason). Went ahead and ordered the new bin and lid, since that will fix my main complaint about the gen1.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Steve Yun posted:

My sister is cleaning out her kitchen clutter and gave me her Nespresso machine

I’m gonna give it the good old college try, first things first, should I open it up and clean out the hoses?

If you didn't own it originally, probably take a poke around. Who knows what's been put through it and if the scale has built up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve never had a coffee machine before. Is vinegar enough to descale water tanks or do I need dedicated descaler

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I bought a bag of powdered citric acid a while back and mix it up at 2 tablespoons/L for descaling. It doesn't have a smell like vinegar.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah you are better off using a dedicated descaler. It does a better job and doesn't soak in to any scale left behind like vinegar does and taint flavor.

https://youtu.be/jblVRrasJxQ?si=6qwPJB9xZy8JMzZy

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I'm picking up a Niche Duo and am on the fence about buying the "pour over" burrs in addition to the espresso burrs. I've been using the Niche Zero daily the past 3 years for brewing with my clever coffee dripper and been really happy with the results. I make espresso on average once a week using the Flair Pro. I approximate the grind setting between the two brews and rarely dial it in perfectly, but am honestly fine with the results. Anyone with any insight into the Duo think it would be worth getting both sets of burrs for a similar use case going forward? Right now I'm leaving to just getting the 'espresso' burrs and making it work. Thanks!

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Anyone here know more or less how long I can expect a Breville Barista express to last? It's on black Friday sale and I'm considering it.

I'm trying to figure out long term costs and maintenance if I can.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Any recommendations for descaler? I've seen Dezcal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NRZ6F0/ mentioned earlier in the thread, and that seems acceptable at $17 for a year's supply

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Microcline posted:

Any recommendations for descaler? I've seen Dezcal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NRZ6F0/ mentioned earlier in the thread, and that seems acceptable at $17 for a year's supply

One thing to keep in mind is that I don’t think Dezcal is recommended for machines with aluminum boilers. I bought a bunch of it and ran it once or twice and didn’t seem to see any changes or ill effects before I read that, then switched to something recommended for Gaggia machines. Durgol is a brand that works well and it’s a very funny name as a bonus.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think a friend is giving me his Gene Cafe drum roaster. Anything I should open up/check on/replace to make sure it's good to go before I dump a bunch of nice beans in it?

Hell yeah, dude. That's a solid roaster. I spent years working with it and it's simple and elegant and gives you a couple ways to monitor the beans. It doesn't give you a ton of control (I think I only ever roasted at full blast with the only variable being time) but it's a great roaster and it produces a decent batch size. That being said, it's a super simple design which should make giving it the once over pretty easy. There's a heating element and fan on one side that moves the air through the roast chamber and then through the chaff filter and exhaust port. Obviously, make sure the exhaust port is clean and clear. Make sure the roast chamber locks into place properly and rotates correctly without catching, and make sure the fan and heating element are clean and clear. You might need to check online for a simple guide for opening that side up, but there are a ton of simple mods that require opening it so I can't imagine it's that hard to do (and I never did because the machine was so easy to maintain that I never had the need to). Enjoy that thing! It's a great roaster and my personal recommendation any time someone wants to get into roasting. If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm a dumbass, so I can't really guarantee it'll be GOOD advice, but I can share what I know.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bruxism posted:

I'm picking up a Niche Duo and am on the fence about buying the "pour over" burrs in addition to the espresso burrs. I've been using the Niche Zero daily the past 3 years for brewing with my clever coffee dripper and been really happy with the results. I make espresso on average once a week using the Flair Pro. I approximate the grind setting between the two brews and rarely dial it in perfectly, but am honestly fine with the results. Anyone with any insight into the Duo think it would be worth getting both sets of burrs for a similar use case going forward? Right now I'm leaving to just getting the 'espresso' burrs and making it work. Thanks!

video i found on swapping the burrs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKdyBJ7TkhU

this doesn't look too bad but keep in mind the chamber won't be that clean when the grinder's actually in service, and you'll need to make sure the chamber is very clean so that the burrs seat properly - grounds, even fines, will interfere with the calibration and affect your grind.

I got both sets of ssp burrs when I bought the p64. IME, it was too much of a hassle and not a noticeable enough difference to swap burrs regularly, so the HU burrs have been sitting until very recently when i bought a marked-down ode v1 to house the extra set. I think the only grinder where i'd be willing to make swapping a part of the workflow would be the eg-1 which has a magnetic mounting system for the burrs, but you're chasing really really diminished marginal improvements at that point.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hypnophant posted:

video i found on swapping the burrs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKdyBJ7TkhU

this doesn't look too bad but keep in mind the chamber won't be that clean when the grinder's actually in service, and you'll need to make sure the chamber is very clean so that the burrs seat properly - grounds, even fines, will interfere with the calibration and affect your grind.

I got both sets of ssp burrs when I bought the p64. IME, it was too much of a hassle and not a noticeable enough difference to swap burrs regularly, so the HU burrs have been sitting until very recently when i bought a marked-down ode v1 to house the extra set. I think the only grinder where i'd be willing to make swapping a part of the workflow would be the eg-1 which has a magnetic mounting system for the burrs, but you're chasing really really diminished marginal improvements at that point.

Great post! Thanks for the breakdown, that kind of confirms my own concerns about the system. I'll stick with the espresso burrs exclusively as it's been serving me well so far.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Why do you need both burs? Send like if you've got a niche zero and you're adding a duo, just keep them set up for pour over and espresso accordingly. Am I missing something?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Why do you need both burs? Send like if you've got a niche zero and you're adding a duo, just keep them set up for pour over and espresso accordingly. Am I missing something?

I'm moving overseas and buying a 220v grinder to take with me. I'm putting my 110v zero into storage until I come back to the States. Since I'm getting a new one anyways I decided to pick up the Duo and started wondering about whether it was worth it to get both burr sets.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Totally makes sense. Goonspeed on your big move!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SlinkyMink posted:

Hell yeah, dude. That's a solid roaster. I spent years working with it and it's simple and elegant and gives you a couple ways to monitor the beans. It doesn't give you a ton of control (I think I only ever roasted at full blast with the only variable being time) but it's a great roaster and it produces a decent batch size. That being said, it's a super simple design which should make giving it the once over pretty easy. There's a heating element and fan on one side that moves the air through the roast chamber and then through the chaff filter and exhaust port. Obviously, make sure the exhaust port is clean and clear. Make sure the roast chamber locks into place properly and rotates correctly without catching, and make sure the fan and heating element are clean and clear. You might need to check online for a simple guide for opening that side up, but there are a ton of simple mods that require opening it so I can't imagine it's that hard to do (and I never did because the machine was so easy to maintain that I never had the need to). Enjoy that thing! It's a great roaster and my personal recommendation any time someone wants to get into roasting. If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm a dumbass, so I can't really guarantee it'll be GOOD advice, but I can share what I know.
Awesome, thank you. I'm pretty pumped about it. I really want to dial in a good medium-dark roast so my wife can enjoy this current fixation a bit. And also so we can give Kirklands beans a rest, I'm really tired of that stuff.

Roasting at full blast and only varying time is all I know how to do with the air popper, so I'm looking forward to tinkering with temp profiles just to see what happens. Even doing the same thing every time with the air popper has a degree of variation I just can't control, but I'm pretty good at hitting my % weight loss targets within a 1-1.5% usually. Just the ability to triple my batch size is going to be huge.

I just got 3 batches from Sweet Maria: Rwanda Ngororero, Ethiopia Geta Bore, and Sweet Maria's Altiplano blend. They're all supposed to be good for espresso and the language on the description was heavier on "toasted brown sugar" and stuff like that more than brighter fruits.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Awesome, thank you. I'm pretty pumped about it. I really want to dial in a good medium-dark roast so my wife can enjoy this current fixation a bit. And also so we can give Kirklands beans a rest, I'm really tired of that stuff.

Roasting at full blast and only varying time is all I know how to do with the air popper, so I'm looking forward to tinkering with temp profiles just to see what happens. Even doing the same thing every time with the air popper has a degree of variation I just can't control, but I'm pretty good at hitting my % weight loss targets within a 1-1.5% usually. Just the ability to triple my batch size is going to be huge.

I just got 3 batches from Sweet Maria: Rwanda Ngororero, Ethiopia Geta Bore, and Sweet Maria's Altiplano blend. They're all supposed to be good for espresso and the language on the description was heavier on "toasted brown sugar" and stuff like that more than brighter fruits.

Oh yeah, you'll love this thing, then. The plate in the roast chamber helps to make it a pseudo contact roaster which helps with roast time and uniformity. The design is really great. Cleaning the roast chamber is... Uh... A bit challenging. But it's not a major requirement super often so not a huge deal. I think you'll enjoy it as an upgrade, and as I said, there are a ton of mods for the thing online to help improve your experience with it. I never got into them though, as the thing is already pretty solid.

Those sound like they'll be great! This thing definitely can do as dark as charcoal, so should get those crazy espresso roasts easy.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Hi coffee goons. I'm trying to improve the consistency, strength, and taste of my morning coffees. Currently using a cuisinart drip thats been doing a decent enough job. Initially was going to replace it (with a Technivorm) but on reading this thread I'm thinking of adding a grinder instead as my next step up.

Baratza Maestro and virtuoso seem like the go to picks...but also a bit pricey for me, the oxo grinder is on sale here for $100cad; Is there a huge huge difference vs. the Baratzas given that I'm using a pretty basic drip machine?

SocksAndSandals fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 21, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SocksAndSandals posted:

Hi coffee goons. I'm trying to improve the consistency and taste of my morning coffees. Currently using a cuisinart drip thats been doing a decent enough job. Initially was going to replace it (with a Technivorm) but on reading this thread I'm thinking of adding a grinder instead as my next step up.

Baratza Maestro and virtuoso seem like the go to picks...but also a bit pricey for me, the oxo grinder is on sale here for $100cad; Is there a huge huge difference vs. the Baratzas given that I'm using a pretty basic drip machine?

You can definitely go with the OXO - It looks like it's made up of slightly better materials than the cheaper Baratzas. For many coffee nerds, one of the biggest benefits of Baratza grinders is that they're built to be repaired and Baratza readily provides parts for them, so if you were ever have an issue with it, you could easily get it fixed vs throwing it out altogether. Ultimately, It's up to you whether or not you prefer the higher quality enclosure of the OXO or the reparability of the Baratzas.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Anyone have a recommendation for a quiet(ish) non-espresso non-manual grinder?

I use a niche zero for espresso and a cuisinart burr grinder every morning. The cuisinart is so much louder and more annoying, sometimes I have to unplug it and take it to the other side of the house to avoid waking everyone else up. I don't expect a cheap non-espresso grinder to be as quiet as the niche - but is there a middle ground? I'm looking at the OXO but it seems pretty loud too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TengenNewsEditor posted:

I use a niche zero for espresso and a cuisinart burr grinder every morning. The cuisinart is so much louder and more annoying, sometimes I have to unplug it and take it to the other side of the house to avoid waking everyone else up. I don't expect a cheap non-espresso grinder to be as quiet as the niche - but is there a middle ground? I'm looking at the OXO but it seems pretty loud too.

I went from the Cuisinart to a Capresso Infinity. It's quieter than the Cuisinart by a lot. It whirs but not as loud as the Cuisinart whir, and the grinding sound is much more muted, I think because it's so much slower. It's staticky as gently caress though, my only complaint.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

TengenNewsEditor posted:

The Fellow Ode v2 is relatively quiet and has an anti-static widget built in. Its a bit pricier, but my v1 is quieter, faster, and quite a bit nicer overall than the Capresso Infinity I upgraded from.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TengenNewsEditor posted:

I started coffee with that stupid Cuisinart like 15 years ago. God it was so loud.

I have a niche and a baratza virtuoso for home use, and then a fellow ode gen2 I have at work.

The Ode is maybe a bit louder than the niche? But it grinds things so loving quick it doesn’t even matter. The virtuoso is the loudest, but still pretty quiet…much more so than the cuisinart.

I’m thinking of selling my ode 2 because having that grinder for one cup of coffee at work is loving overkill. I can just use a hand grinder and be content with that.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
there's a mignon filtro silent now, which looks like a pretty good choice for under $300. most anything is going to be better than that cuisinart though, i also had one once and it's just the worst high-pitched vacuum cleaner tone

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Fellow has a nice discount during the mad days of November.

https://fellowproducts.com/products/ode-brew-grinder-gen-2?variant=40978992496740

Upgraded burrs too.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Fellow has a nice discount during the mad days of November.

https://fellowproducts.com/products/ode-brew-grinder-gen-2?variant=40978992496740

Upgraded burrs too.

Could probably even do espresso with those upgraded burrs.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Corb3t posted:

Could probably even do espresso with those upgraded burrs.

Problem is the grind dial isn't granular enough. There are stepless mods out there for the Ode, but I have no idea if they are worthwhile versus buying something designed for espresso.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Bandire posted:

Problem is the grind dial isn't granular enough. There are stepless mods out there for the Ode, but I have no idea if they are worthwhile versus buying something designed for espresso.

When I modded my Ode to be stepless, I had to hold the grind dial still during grinding otherwise it would drag itself finer or maybe coarser (can’t remember which). Definitely not great.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SocksAndSandals posted:

Hi coffee goons. I'm trying to improve the consistency, strength, and taste of my morning coffees. Currently using a cuisinart drip thats been doing a decent enough job. Initially was going to replace it (with a Technivorm) but on reading this thread I'm thinking of adding a grinder instead as my next step up.

You might like to give pourover a shot, it's extremely cheap to 'get into', just pick up the hario v60 brewer for $35 and some filters. Any gooseneck kettle will work and they're also starting to get available online for less than $50. These are all Canadian prices.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

When doing multiple shots back to back (Rancilio Silvia + PID), is the following workflow ok?
1. Let machine warm up 30+ minutes while portafilter + blind basket is inserted.
2. Grind, remove puck and blind basket from machine, puck prep, insert, pull 1st shot.
3. Remove portafilter, remove basket, insert blind basket, attach to machine.
4. After 5 minutes of enjoying the 1st shot and measuring the beans for the 2nd cup, got to Step 2 and repeat.

If I am using a puck screen, should I run some hot water through the machine right after Step 3 to get residual grounds out of the shower head?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

VelociBacon posted:

You might like to give pourover a shot, it's extremely cheap to 'get into', just pick up the hario v60 brewer for $35 and some filters. Any gooseneck kettle will work and they're also starting to get available online for less than $50. These are all Canadian prices.

To add to this, some of the most insane world class barista competitions are pourover, so you can get extremely into coffee this way. Same for aeropress. With a decent scale and grinder, and a budget for good beans, you can really have fun. My most enjoyable coffee I've had in the past year has been aeropress and pourover preps of beans I've roasted. You can also do that really cheap; if you find a popcorn air popper free or cheap, green beans cost less than even low tier poo poo at the store and you can actually save money on coffee, at the expense of a bunch of time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

theHUNGERian posted:

When doing multiple shots back to back (Rancilio Silvia + PID), is the following workflow ok?
1. Let machine warm up 30+ minutes while portafilter + blind basket is inserted.
2. Grind, remove puck and blind basket from machine, puck prep, insert, pull 1st shot.
3. Remove portafilter, remove basket, insert blind basket, attach to machine.
4. After 5 minutes of enjoying the 1st shot and measuring the beans for the 2nd cup, got to Step 2 and repeat.

If I am using a puck screen, should I run some hot water through the machine right after Step 3 to get residual grounds out of the shower head?

That should work great. You may want to have a brush to clean grounds out of places too, but that should be plenty of time between shots.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jhet posted:

That should work great. You may want to have a brush to clean grounds out of places too, but that should be plenty of time between shots.

I once did try to brush the shower head, but I saw steam and so I thought the head was too hot and was melting the fine hairs of the brush. Ever since then I brush right before I turn the machine on.

Thanks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

I once did try to brush the shower head, but I saw steam and so I thought the head was too hot and was melting the fine hairs of the brush. Ever since then I brush right before I turn the machine on.

Thanks.

Get some tiny kitchen towels.

After removing the portafilter from the group head, run the water for like 1 second, get the towel a little wet, and wipe the shower screen with that. That’ll clear the shower screen pretty good.

Then knock out your puck, and use the dry side of the towel to wipe the basket out. Also wipe the basket out after letting it sit in the group if you get any condensation. You want the basket dry because you don’t want the base of your puck getting wet first.

This workflow is how I’ve seen a lot of fancy NYC espresso bars do things. If your machine is good and your puck prep is good, generally you shouldn’t have tons of wet sloppy grounds on the shower screen or in the basket, and it should be relatively easy to clean with a dry towel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

For what it's worth, using a puck screen all but eliminates grounds on the shower head!

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I admittedly bought a puck screen when they were in vogue and even though they don't really help with extraction, they are great for keeping the group head clean. If you do get one I would recommend getting a teasing needle as well to make it a little easier to pry the screen it because those things like to get snug in the portafilter.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Spiggy posted:

I admittedly bought a puck screen when they were in vogue and even though they don't really help with extraction, they are great for keeping the group head clean. If you do get one I would recommend getting a teasing needle as well to make it a little easier to pry the screen it because those things like to get snug in the portafilter.

Keeping the group head clean is good enough reason for me. Also, if you are crankin' until you've got a sloppy puck, in my experience, the excess water sits above it so you can pour that off before you knock mud into your knockbox

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Get some tiny kitchen towels.

After removing the portafilter from the group head, run the water for like 1 second, get the towel a little wet, and wipe the shower screen with that. That’ll clear the shower screen pretty good.

Then knock out your puck, and use the dry side of the towel to wipe the basket out. Also wipe the basket out after letting it sit in the group if you get any condensation. You want the basket dry because you don’t want the base of your puck getting wet first.

This workflow is how I’ve seen a lot of fancy NYC espresso bars do things. If your machine is good and your puck prep is good, generally you shouldn’t have tons of wet sloppy grounds on the shower screen or in the basket, and it should be relatively easy to clean with a dry towel.

I have multiple baskets (all the same make and model), so I can put in a new basket without having to clean it. So should the actual basket be warmed up as well or is it sufficient if it's just the portafilter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

I have multiple baskets (all the same make and model), so I can put in a new basket without having to clean it. So should the actual basket be warmed up as well or is it sufficient if it's just the portafilter?

Basket should be warm too, yeah.

Also, there seems to be no reason to clean/use a clean basket between shots unless you’re dialing in and getting gross, extremely thick over extracted shots.