Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Sash! posted:

Dr Pepper has never contained prune juice or prune flavor and the strange thing is that no one has any idea where the idea came from but it is a really common misconception.

It was me, from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

dr_rat posted:

Yeah honestly that sounds like some of the more realistic diplomacy stuff star trek has done. Two governments lifting a few historic embargo when they suddenly find themselves war time allies. You'd think they'd have more things to worry about, but you know there will be diplomats in long meetings about stuff, and they know how to press an advantage, and why not.

Got to give the papers back home something good to report

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watched the DS9 episode where a second Emissary shows up and tells everyone to bring back d'jarras, and it made me think how impractical it would be in a rigid worker caste system to have a dedicated artist caste. Like you're not allowed to do any job except one that requires people to buy luxury items from you.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has anyone made “raktajino” before?

I was gonna give it a shot for my Friendmas this year since they’re almost all players in my STA campaign, I figured I’d just brew some decent espresso with added cinnamon, ginger, etc. but I’m open to actual tested recipes.

I haven't tried any recipes myself, but this passage from Klingon For The Galactic Traveler by Klingon language creator and culture contributor Marc Okrand should be instructive on what to look for:

quote:

Though not native to the Empire, Klingons have developed a way to make coffee (qa'vIn) (caffiene?) particularly strong, both in flavor and in its effect as a stimulant, and it is a very popular beverage.

As a rule, coffee is consumed plain—that is, black—but some Klingons prefer to mix other ingredients in with the coffee. If some kind of HIq (liquor) is added to the coffee, the drink is called ra’taj. It is said that the drink was originally nicknamed ra’wI’ taj (commander's knife, suggestive of its potency), and that the name was shortened over time. This often repeated story cannot be confirmed. In any event, ra’taj became one of the few Klingon foods to become popular outside of the Empire, though in an altered form. Instead of containing liquor, as does the genuine Klingon ra’taj, the "export" version (which came to be pronounced raktaj in Federation Standard) consists of strong Klingon coffee plus a nut-like flavoring. Eventually, a new fashion developed—adding cream to the raktaj—and with this innovation came yet another name, raktajino, modeled after the name of another popular coffee drink, cappuccino. Raktajino is now served hot or iced, with or without extra cream, and with or without the rind of some fruit to add even more flavor. Though it is sometimes called Klingon coffee, it is quite different from both plain qa’vIn and the alcoholic ra’taj.

Based on that, if I were going to try to make some I'd double brew a large strong dark blend, add hazelnut flavor and cream, spices to taste and serve iced (I love iced coffee myself).

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 21, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Based on that, if I were going to try to make some I'd double brew a large strong dark blend, add hazelnut flavor and cream, spices to taste and serve iced (I love iced coffee myself). a liberally pour of some strong whisky.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I always got the impression that Romulan Ale was more than just alcohol. The effects are described as hitting you instantly and basically knocking you on your rear end from the first sip.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

I always got the impression that Romulan Ale was more than just alcohol. The effects are described as hitting you instantly and basically knocking you on your rear end from the first sip.

hey everyone look at this poster who's never had a strong spirit neat

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My friend, lemme introduce you to 高粱.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Kind of lol that alcohol is barely consumed in the federation due to deleterious effects, but slamming quadruple espressos all day is totally fine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thotsky posted:

Kind of lol that alcohol is barely consumed in the federation due to deleterious effects, but slamming quadruple espressos all day is totally fine.

I'm sure it like synthehol they replace alcohol with. They probably change out caffeine with some probably harmless stimulant that wears off far quicker like cocaine.

Anyway suddenly Janeways character makes far more sense.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah eating food on camera is tough in general, because you'll usually have to do multiple takes.

Makes me wonder how much chicken John Noble went through in Return of the King

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think Romulan Ale is meant to be kinda like what absinthe was thought to be back in the day.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

V-Men posted:

Makes me wonder how much chicken John Noble went through in Return of the King

Or how many tomatoes considering the take they went with.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

My friend, lemme introduce you to 高粱.

Hey sure you just gotta post like it :p

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Watched the DS9 episode where a second Emissary shows up and tells everyone to bring back d'jarras, and it made me think how impractical it would be in a rigid worker caste system to have a dedicated artist caste. Like you're not allowed to do any job except one that requires people to buy luxury items from you.

presumably the artist caste would work almost exclusively for the religious caste, producing hymns, temple decorations, icons, and such.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

A.o.D. posted:

presumably the artist caste would work almost exclusively for the religious caste, producing hymns, temple decorations, icons, and such.

Yea, davidspackage is thinking of it too in modern terms and not what it would be like. Real life had entire villages of artists producing poo poo for the ruling class/religious class, whatever.

Also that episode originally had David Warner cast and his wife persuaded him not to do it. Which is a real shame!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arivia posted:

The main actresses on Gilmore Girls had a lot of trouble with caffeine intake because of this. In the show's story they're chugging tons of coffee, to be kinder to them they're actually drinking cola, but it came up so much and so often it still had them a bit loopy from the sugar high.

This is why we need more millennials in acting. "Okay you want me to eat some blue food? Is it blue raspberry flavoured or some of that ez squeeze weird ketchup? Either way I've been training for this my whole life."

Similarly in GoT the "wine" was mostly grape juice and it gave everybody horrible digestive issues. In one of the commentaries Dinklage is constantly giving Lena Hedy poo poo because she's always doing "lift wine glass , pause halfway to lips, deliver line, put wine glass down, repeat" for nearly every scene.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I think Romulan Ale is meant to be kinda like what absinthe was thought to be back in the day.

Yknow that thing when some innocuous human food turns out to be an intoxicant for the aliens, like milk in Alien Nation? I bet Romulan ale is like that for humans, it's just regular-rear end beer (albeit flat and blue) to most other Alpha Quadrant people but there's something in it that gets us fuckin hammered

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I do love how when the embargo is lifted in DS9, Ross takes a sip and his body just goes into revolt over it, and the Romulans and Bashir are in disbelief that he genuinely had never had it before because they all just assumed "he's an admiral, surely he's snuck himself some at some point."

I also love the rest of that episode. Great episode and the last time Section 31 showed up in the plot and it didn't suck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s an underrated episode

Probably the best of the Section 31 arc episodes

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Decided to make another attempt at watching DS9. Watched the first episode last night. Not much to say about it, it does its job of establishing the setting, characters and stakes. We'll see how it goes from here.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

That’s an underrated episode

Probably the best of the Section 31 arc episodes

Yeah, it's a little better than Inquisition (which is itself great!) and way better than Extreme Measures.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

W.T. Fits posted:

We'll see where it moves along from here.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Similarly in GoT the "wine" was mostly grape juice and it gave everybody horrible digestive issues. In one of the commentaries Dinklage is constantly giving Lena Hedy poo poo because she's always doing "lift wine glass , pause halfway to lips, deliver line, put wine glass down, repeat" for nearly every scene.

She'll have had it rough, her character being an alcoholic.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Phy posted:

Yknow that thing when some innocuous human food turns out to be an intoxicant for the aliens, like milk in Alien Nation?

The Prawns in District 9 eating tires and tripping on cat food is my favorite version of this

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Look at what I just found at half price books!

(it cost much more than half cover price.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

8one6 posted:

Look at what I just found at half price books!

(it cost much more than half cover price.)
That's a good get. The book is pretty rare now since it has been out of print for a long time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's not that Janeway killed Tuvix, it's the stone cold way that the crew turned on him at the end that does it. gently caress.

Also what the gently caress is Michael McKean doing? I did not need to see the Joker Matrix. Dumb as hell.

8one6
May 20, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's a good get. The book is pretty rare now since it has been out of print for a long time.

They had it in the locked collectables case and the guy who unlocked it asked why it was worth so much. He said they had a huge lot of Trek paperbacks come in yesterday and that was the only one their system flagged as worth more than half cover.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also what the gently caress is Michael McKean doing? I did not need to see the Joker Matrix. Dumb as hell.

Oh no

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's not that Janeway killed Tuvix, it's the stone cold way that the crew turned on him at the end that does it. gently caress.

Bullshit you didn’t

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Please don't tell me this is some divisive cult classic that a portion of the fanbase violently defends while everyone else is just baffled that it was allowed to be made.

Kibayasu posted:

Bullshit you didn’t

Welp.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's pretty widely popular, actually, if only for the ending where Janeway pretty much scares Fear to death.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The Thaw is one of the best episodes of Voyager. If you didn't like it you're probably not going to have a good time with the rest of the series.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

8one6 posted:

The Thaw is one of the best episodes of Voyager. If you didn't like it you're probably not going to have a good time with the rest of the series.

Yeah even as an ardent defender of Voyager I have to agree with this. The Thaw kind of sets the tone/mold for the one-off episodes of the series.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, it's always seemed odd to me that everyone gives Janeway poo poo for being the one to pull the trigger, but the rest of the crew gets a pass for just standing there and watching it happen without anyone speaking up. Pretty loving bad when the only person to object was the Doctor, and even that was less "Yo, this is really hosed up that we're doing this," and more, "Sorry, I literally can't carry out the procedure if the patient objects."

As far as The Thaw goes, it had its moments. Not their best outing, to be sure, but far from their worst.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I will give The Thaw credit for sticking the landing, but that's not really Janeway scaring Fear to death. Fear just realizes there's no brain to read and the program has nothing to run off of and deactivates.

To my own credit, I've enjoyed a lot of the Voyager weirdness so far, but this one annoyed the hell out of me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but she definitely makes him poo poo himself before he dies

She didn't even need to either she just did it for the sake of it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
In another life, if they had meet under different circumstances, I think Janeway and thaw could of been friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Vulcan parenting was pretty cool, but boy were those some precocious child actors.