Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Finnish doesn't have articles, so in the original Finnish the guy's given name was just "Meadowhill" (or, naturally "Niittykumpu", "Niitty" = meadow, "kumpu" = mound/hillock etc) which I replaced with "Forrest" since it probably conveys the joke better. But luckily as hokey comedians through the ages have discovered, A can be both an article and an abbreviated first name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

“I’ve told you, it’s not safe to get into Satanism unless you start taking drugs as well!”

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 18, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

ZeeToo posted:

That's a really efficient character and tone setting strip there, that is.

It is, isn't it?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

No, this is Patrick!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Safety Dance posted:

I'm not sure how they got from the first strip to the third strip. Curse you for making me think about Luann this hard.

I actually went into my recycling stack to see if I had missed a day.
Nope, Evanses just are terrible at plotting.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Cartooning Disease is a horrible curse.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

For weeks now, whenever I focus on A3G, it's just been this lady lounging around panels, getting drunk. I'm mostly surprised at the lack of the narrative pace - nobody's really condemning her, and she's not rapidly spiralling to rock bottom. They just couldn't get enough of her, not doing much in particular.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 15, 1960)

Foster really loves his spankings

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/20/03

For international and non-US-sportsball fans: the joke is that Bucky and Satchel are posing in Pittsburgh team outfits for the cards and then "relaxing" in Cleveland sports gear, because Cleveland and Pittsburgh are traditional rivals.

Brenda Starr 2/11-13/52

Smokey Stover 2/16/58

Everyday Movies 12/25/36

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/10-12/42

one mississippi

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 21, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 11/20/03

Kent Tekulve is one of the nerdiest looking dudes to ever play professional baseball.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Scarlet hasn't been knocked unconscious yet this storyline. Buckle up kiddos.

howe_sam posted:

Kent Tekulve is one of the nerdiest looking dudes to ever play professional baseball.

Tekulve appeared in a 1983 episode of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood to explain how people play baseball.[20]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 15, 1960)

Foster really loves his spankings

Well at least they're being distributed equally between the sexes...?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the face close ups in Val are always loving awesome.

oh no Fiona and Rudy are getting married, who didn't see this annoying poo poo coming. Prep for wedding and pregnancy strips in the next year.

has anyone in Holbrookverse NOT gotten married/had kids with their high school or college sweetheart?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What the hell? :laffo: This is becoming one of my favorite strips in this thread.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

has anyone in Holbrookverse NOT gotten married/had kids with their high school or college sweetheart?
I mean, there's Kevin's mom's high school boyfriend, the coach who starts every phone conversation with "I told you so" (They were a thing but she got strongarmed into leaving him or she'd be stripped of her Easter Bunny position.)

I hate that I remember this poo poo.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ugh I remember this Kevin and Kell storyline when it happened in real time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

When you're rich, rules don't apply anymore, yeah. Nearly 100 years later and nothing's changed.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

When you're rich, rules don't apply anymore, yeah. Nearly 100 years later and nothing's changed.

I knew this would happen the moment I saw that she was drawn to be pretty instead of a morlock like the other hillbillies.

Her hints at a mysterious origin reinforced it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Saoshyant posted:

The old man she’s staying with though? He can die in squalor.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ugh this zits does not look promising.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's a fine hosed up turkey tho, look at that thing

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Saoshyant posted:

Green Intern posted:

The old man she’s staying with though? He can die in squalor.

Weembles posted:

I knew this would happen the moment I saw that she was drawn to be pretty instead of a morlock like the other hillbillies.

Her hints at a mysterious origin reinforced it.

Brenda Starr can be kind of hard to follow even if you do more than skim it once in awhile but I thought there was heavy hinting that the girl there was kidnapped earlier by the janitor couple? Maybe the wording is weird but ma shows up with a random 4-8 year old kid and they just think "Oh, again?" and get to raising him.

Not a lot of sympathy for the people who found a lost child, dodged contacting anybody about finding where he belongs, sneaking him away to keep and threatening to beat my possible earlier kidnapping victim if she doesn't get the grits on the table fast enough. :v:

Looks like the couple was going to ransom Guy and they kept Weegee because a slave is convenient?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Doomykins posted:

Looks like the couple was going to ransom Guy and they kept Weegee because a slave is convenient?

The ransom plan is so underbaked it'd show up on an episode of Kitchen Nightmares.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

For weeks now, whenever I focus on A3G, it's just been this lady lounging around panels, getting drunk. I'm mostly surprised at the lack of the narrative pace - nobody's really condemning her, and she's not rapidly spiralling to rock bottom. They just couldn't get enough of her, not doing much in particular.

I think the idea is that she has a secret drinking problem — no-one's cottoned on yet. (Just my impression; I might have missed something.)

Also I have to admit that I always scrolled right past Apartment 3-G until this lady showed up. I just... find her very attractive?? :blush: I like her cool hairstyle and outfits, and her gregarious messy drunken lonely married bullshit. I don't know what that says about me*, but keep on loungin', my beautiful queenly trainwreck.

* I have a pretty good idea of some things it might say about me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think I might steal this one when I see Mom this week.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I think the idea is that she has a secret drinking problem — no-one's cottoned on yet. (Just my impression; I might have missed something.)

Also I have to admit that I always scrolled right past Apartment 3-G until this lady showed up. I just... find her very attractive?? :blush: I like her cool hairstyle and outfits, and her gregarious messy drunken lonely married bullshit. I don't know what that says about me*, but keep on loungin', my beautiful queenly trainwreck.

* I have a pretty good idea of some things it might say about me.

She's a neglected housewife - her salesman husband is always traveling - and she's subsequently developed a drinking problem seemingly out of boredom. She passes the time with a drink, passes out, wakes up, hair of the dog; trapped in a vicious cycle. (I was going to say that she wasn't even aware that she had a problem, but she told her husband she felt lousy from "the flu" and a few days ago she was worried that the neighbors saw that the only thing in her fridge was the half-drunk bottle of vodka. She knows what she's doing.)

And yeah, she's fine as hell. That 70's bob is working overtime.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "396 - Jucika, As A Guide"

"Lukács Uszoda = Lukács Baths, Kalauz Nélkuli Kogs = (roughly)Wagon Without Guide"

"397 - Jucika Drives A Car"

"T = Tanulóvezető = Student Driver"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Okay, I left you hanging on Mutts long enough.

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 16, 1935)

Peanuts (November 23, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner, in which the chase is on. And off again. (February 25-27, 1935)

Thimble Theater (June 25, 1940)

Meanwhile, the Olive side of Olive & Popeye looks like they actually found a story. A shame that it doesn't look like Olive's going to be in it.

Out Our Way (May 13-15, 1943; spoiler for The Usual Reasons)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Okay, I left you hanging on Mutts long enough.

:ohdear:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tombat, I do not know why the gently caress you think a storyline about making cookies with lemonade instead of rum is anything anyone cares about.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
people give Randy crap about his Popeye and yeah, some of it is justified, but I have no loving clue who anyone is other than Olive in the artist's comic today. They all look like variations of Steven Universe gem ladies.

Sally, WHY DID YOU MAKE YOUR MOTHER COME? WHY. SHE DIDN'T WANT TO.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i get the vibe that sally has a longing for a picture-perfect family thanksgiving that she's never going to get, and she should probably talk to a dang therapist and unpack some of that tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
nah, she just needs to disappear into an '80s cartoon pastiche to the point that even Ted feels the need to say something about running away into a fantasy realm again