Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

100 players only in the the HoF, when a new guy goes in, someone has to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

euphronius out here justifying all the Small Hallers like myself by pointing out the worst inductees

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Put Beltre in, then close the hall of fame. It peaked.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Dawson was a stud lol he should be in. You could call him an accumulator for playing 21 years but having a long career is also valuable

I think we should instead focus on guys who should be in but aren't like Dick Allen

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

euphronius out here justifying all the Small Hallers like myself by pointing out the worst inductees

Can’t be a small hall without bonds Clemens etc

Writers have already given up on small hall

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I guess Mike Cameron and Devon White are going in now too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bernie Williams won 4!!!! Rings

He was a cog in a super famous team

Cameron and devo were not

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m a big hall guy for players I liked and a small hall guy for players I didn’t. Jeter out, Juan González in.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Would you put Robert Horry in the NBA hall

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Devon White won 3!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

Bernie Williams won 4!!!! Rings

He was a cog in a super famous team

Cameron and devo were not

lol the 92/93 Jays???

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m a big hall guy for players I liked and a small hall guy for players I didn’t. Jeter out, Juan González in.

Juan Gonzalez deserves note at least for winning two of the least deserved MVPs in baseball history and arguably the single least deserved one in 96

How the gently caress did Griffey finish FOURTH?!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horry was not a full time starter like Bernie was

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Would you put Robert Horry in the NBA hall

Everybody gets in the NBA hall

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1726983462933156314

Ichiro went old hoss radbourne on a team of 15 yo girls yesterday

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

euphronius posted:

Horry was not a full time starter like Bernie was

You're right, Bernie was the 7th or 8th most important player on 4 championship teams, hall of fame baybee

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

More like 4th or 5th but yes

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Intruder posted:

Juan Gonzalez deserves note at least for winning two of the least deserved MVPs in baseball history and arguably the single least deserved one in 96

How the gently caress did Griffey finish FOURTH?!

I can’t hear you over all these RBIs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Intruder posted:

Eh even at the time he was playing before the fancystats people said Edmonds would play extra shallow and for that reason ended up making a ton of diving plays that would normally be routine

Also edmonds.swf

Thinking about Edmonds reminds me of Bill James' wonderful description of Carney Lansford:

"I don't think I ever saw a regular third baseman who had less range than Carney Lansford. The reason is, he dived for everything, and I mean everything. You could not hit a ball so close to Carney Lansford's left or right that he wouldn't dive for it. You could hit the ball three feet from Lansford on his glove side, and he'd dive for it and come up short half the time. And the cheerleaders in the press box used to rave about his defense because he made all those diving stops. His range was however far he could dive; not a step and a dive, just a dive. He was a good hitter, but he was an awful third baseman."

What I've seen on him in old games on youtube supports this, practically every ball hit his way he would dive for.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 21, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Devon White was probably the 3rd or 4th best player on the 92/93 Jays. Stick him in the HOF. He's got lots of gold gloves and 3!!! World Series baby

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one remembers or cares about those Jays teams

I had completely forgot about them for example

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thinking about Edmonds reminds me of Bill James' wonderful description of Carney Lansford:

What I've seen on him in old games on youtube supports this, practically every ball hit his way he would dive for.

Kind of like the opposite of Adam Everett who got to basically every ball and made it look so effortless you'd think it was a routine play, and the ones he did dive for most shortstops wouldn't come close to even making a play on but he'd get credited with an error when it deflected off his glove or something

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I can’t hear you over all these RBIs

He finished with 4 more RBI than Griffey in 96 lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

No one remembers or cares about those Jays teams

I had completely forgot about them for example

Were you singing God Bless America as you typed this?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I too forgot about one of the most famous moments in world series history that is included in literally every compilation of huge baseball moments

"Touch em all, Joe" is a quote very few people ar aware of

e: I'm not trying to be combative here, just teasing :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are you referring to ?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Andre Dawson has a 15 WAR edge over Bernie Williams

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Andre Dawson has a 15 WAR edge over Bernie Williams

also an MVP

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

Can’t be a small hall without bonds Clemens etc

Writers have already given up on small hall
Most of the worst inductees have been at the hands of the various committees over the years, not the writers

Jack Morris, Harold Baines, Phil Rizzuto: all by committees

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

zoux posted:

A good time for a reminder that when he was 49 Jamie Moyer was still pitching in the major leagues.

Intruder posted:

also an MVP

A very memorable MVP at that! It was probably the single worst MVP choice of all time that wasn't a relief pitcher.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

The tweet leaves out the important detail that it was an all-star team

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah it was definitely a "lead the league in homers" MVP but it's not the worst ever

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Intruder posted:

Yeah it was definitely a "lead the league in homers" MVP but it's not the worst ever

Who are you nominating?

e: Just to set the table for this, Dawson in 1987 didn't even rate in the top ten in the National League in batting WAR, and he was a negative value fielder. Juan Gonzalez 1996 is comparable.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 21, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Juan Gonzalez in 96

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There’s like a decade+ worth of MVPs where the writers refused to vote for someone who’d won it previously, so go look at MVP voting during Babe Ruth’s prime for some bad ballots

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 21, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bawfuls posted:

There’s like a decade+ worth of MVPs where the writers refused to vote for someone who’d won it previously, so go look at MVP voting during Babe Ruth’s prime for some bad ballots

IIRC in Babe Ruth's time it was actually prohibited by the voting rules to vote for a previous winner

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The guy who really got burned by the unspoken rule to not vote for previous MVP winners was Willie Mays. There was a 10-12-year stretch where Mays was the best player in the NL pretty much every season, and he took home two trophies for his troubles, eleven years apart (and you know the writers only begrudgingly gave him the second one).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean it's always been the case that the all time greats don't win nearly as many MVPs as they should, simply because it's boring to vote for the same guy every year. Bonds won 7 but should have won about 12. Trout won 3, should have been 6.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I know I'm opening a can of worms here but one of Trout's should have gone to Bregman :colbert:

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean it's always been the case that the all time greats don't win nearly as many MVPs as they should, simply because it's boring to vote for the same guy every year. Bonds won 7 but should have won about 12. Trout won 3, should have been 6.

It was real bad in Mays’s case, though. Imagine watching Mays put up an 11-win season in 1964 and deciding to vote for Johnny Callison and his .809 OPS (out of a corner outfield spot!) instead. It’s one thing to lose out to Henry Aaron or Frank Robinson or whoever, but…

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Looking through Baseball-Reference and Willie Stargell in 1979 looks real bad

e: Don Baylor in the AL that year also looks terrible so that's definitely the worst year overall

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's kind of a who cares because he didn't win outright

And yes, as per your edit Baylor was worse

e: ok Stargell got the most first place votes which is hilarious