Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: This Wednesday 11/22 is the last day to sign up! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Did you catch a joke probation, make a super embarrassing post complaining about it, and need some holiday cheer to get you back in the shitposting spirit?

Then sign up for Automotive Insanity's Secret Santa! Some goon will send you a random assortment of items, mostly some broken car parts, and there is an option for penis-emblazonment. I have enjoyed it so much over the years that I volunteered to pick up the mantle from slothrop and organize it for 2023. So come on down and spread the holiday cheeks cheer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
A Nissan Arya drove past me with it's charging door open.

Do they not have a door-open alert, or was the driver just ignoring it? Seems like a handy thing to have, since the door is on the passenger side.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My car just straight up won't start go with the charging port open.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

25k miles on the Polestar 2 and both rear axles need to be replaced

Not thrilled with the prospects of long term ownership here!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

That sounds crazy, what could have gone wrong?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CV joints failing somehow. The tech said he’s seeing 1-2 cases a month. I asked if the replacement part was updated to address the cause and he said that’s unknown.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

carticket posted:

Anyone got experience with the Mach E, specifically GT? I'm seriously considering ordering a Rally in '24. I'd be keeping my WRX and ditching a Mazda 3 hatch. What would bug the hell out of me with it? I have some concerns about the limited time at full power, but maybe it's not a big deal. I've heard infotainment isn't all that great. I'm in New England, is a resistive heater vs. heatpimp going to be annoying? I need to find a GT to test drive. The rally should be similar.

Sorry been busy.

I wouldn't buy one without test driving a GT to see if the horrid passing power bothers you. Some people it does, some people it doesn't. People that buy a GT on a whim as a Prius replacement it doesn't bother. People that bought a GT as a competitor to a Model Y Performance, it tends to bother. It's one thing to not have the 70-90 acceleration of a MYP but the Mach GT can't even compete with the Volvos past 60 or so. It's a loving turd at anything other than 0-60.

Magneride was nice though.

And I liked the door buttons.

Pretty much everything else, Tesla does better.

And I wouldn't buy one unless you get a pretty screaming deal.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Failson posted:

A Nissan Arya drove past me with it's charging door open.

Do they not have a door-open alert, or was the driver just ignoring it? Seems like a handy thing to have, since the door is on the passenger side.

Id4 doesn't have an alert and sad to say I have forgotten to close it after unplugging before.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
That's kinda alarming about the random Polestar CV joint failures.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Id4 doesn't have an alert and sad to say I have forgotten to close it after unplugging before.

Good to know! If the Bolt didn't have an alert, I'm sure I would have left the door open a few times now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bird with big dick posted:

Sorry been busy.

I wouldn't buy one without test driving a GT to see if the horrid passing power bothers you. Some people it does, some people it doesn't. People that buy a GT on a whim as a Prius replacement it doesn't bother. People that bought a GT as a competitor to a Model Y Performance, it tends to bother. It's one thing to not have the 70-90 acceleration of a MYP but the Mach GT can't even compete with the Volvos past 60 or so. It's a loving turd at anything other than 0-60.

Magneride was nice though.

And I liked the door buttons.

Pretty much everything else, Tesla does better.

And I wouldn't buy one unless you get a pretty screaming deal.

This is really good info. It has me leaning against, waiting for a revision. It's possible MY24 addresses some of the GT complaints. There hasn't been a lot of news about them yet. I won't hold out hope, though.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is that covered under warranty?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

CV joints failing somehow. The tech said he’s seeing 1-2 cases a month. I asked if the replacement part was updated to address the cause and he said that’s unknown.

Jesus CHRIST

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Is that covered under warranty?

Yeah, 4 years/50k miles so I have just under two years left on the warranty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Jesus, that doesn't bode well. :psypop:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

2023 Rav4 Prime SE, color is Blueprint. I'm genuinely not sure how I managed to snag it. All the local dealers were saying things like "there are none in the region" or "the last person who ordered one waited a year" but I found it for sale about a hundred miles away, messaged the dealer, drove up sunday morning and got it and drove back Sunday afternoon. Drives beautifully. I drove the scenic route back to my house and it only shifted to using the gas tank for like the last ten minutes of the trip from what I could tell. It's funny driving it; I keep thinking it hasn't started when it's already moving, because I don't hear anything, and it doesn't seem to stress or strain at all when I accelerate, just smooth effortless power.
Toyota is still saying the same thing here, funny because pretty much every other "mainstream" dealer has their hybrids/EVs in stock, if only a few. Toyota's new lot is almost empty other than the odd Tundra or Taco.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

, 3) have a new outlet installed on my house (how much should that cost? about?)

I haven't bought a new car in about 18 years though (I've been driving a 2006 Tacoma that whole time) so I have a lot of features to learn now. Is there a way to dim the touchscreen a bit when driving at night? Also what exactly are all these subscriptions the car wants me to sign up for? I'm still adjusting to the idea of a car with an app. Does it need to be a wifi hotspot? What happens if I say no to this data plan thing?

I tried for two years before I was able to find a rav4 prime as MSRP starting in November 2021. After giving up in October 2023 I heard of the $6500 lease cash and got back on the hunt. Found one on the lot 20 minutes away from me and bought it the next day.

If you’re going to spend the money having an electrician come out you should have 240v with 50 amps ran. I paid about $400 to have a 50 amp GFCI circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. Cost can vary widely based on how far they have to run cable, local costs, and also if your electrical panel needs work. Keep in mind that ev chargers and electrical work for them are available for a tax credit:
https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/605201/federal-tax-credit-for-electric-vehicle-chargers also check with your power company. Some give free or heavily discounted chargers out. Some state programs exist too.

Charge speed on 110 from empty to full is close to 12 hours. With 240v I can do it in 2.5 hours.

Toyota signs you up for a ton of trial services when you get the car. You don’t need the WiFi hotspot or data plan. Heck you don’t even have to use the app. It’s nice for unlocking and locking the doors or starting climate remotely but not essential. You get a free year trial of the remote app.

By default the touch screen automatically adjusts brightness. You can manually adjust it through the menus and override though.

mysteryberto fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 21, 2023

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

As a polestar 2 owner that's kinda terrifying. Havent seen that on the forums.
What issues were you having prior?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Polestar ordering process was pretty much flawless, I ordered completely online, they delivered the car to my home address, a guy had me sign some paperwork and handed over the keys

Sounds heavenly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CalvinandHobbes posted:

As a polestar 2 owner that's kinda terrifying. Havent seen that on the forums.
What issues were you having prior?

Just a quiet clacking noise when slowing down at low speeds. I looked up some Reddit posts from people who had a similar issue and they were just saying Polestar resolved it by reapplying some lubricant. It didn’t sound serious so I ignored it for a while.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
My 2008 Civic is getting pretty long in the teeth (200k miles and counting), and I want to get an EV. I'm inclined toward a used Tesla 3, but I'm coming into this knowing not very much about the options. Especially the difference between autopilot (which I think I want? Maybe? I have a 110 mile commute to work twice a week and more safety features related to freeway driving are probably good since I'm frequently driving before sunrise. But maybe this is also a non-starter too?) and full self-driving, which sounds like a boondogle I'll never remotely trust or use, and whether the extended range will mean enough range to reliably do 220 miles without recharging in winter. Finally I'm curious if buying used from Tesla is a good option; I'm really not an experienced car buyer and I'd rather deal with them then random people. I know there are non-Tesla options, but given I'm driving around 25k miles a year I'd prefer a used option since I'm going to be driving it into the ground, and I don't know enough about whether any of the new cars coming online are reliable long term.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Just the L1 charger it came with.The problem with the charging situation is my garage is full of various and assorted crap (exercise equipment, etc.) and I'd always just parked in the driveway. There are exterior outlets on the house front and in the garage but they're all located more than the length of the charging cable away from that driveway parking spot. Backing in doesn't look like it would help due to how things line up. Sounds like my choices are either 1) move / rid myself of all that crap in my garage and actually park my car in it like an adult, 2) get a 10 gauge extension cord but that's not recommended, 3) have a new outlet installed on my house (how much should that cost? about?)

I mean, you SHOULD just move your stuff, but a short 10 or 25 foot 12 or 10 gauge extension cord is gonna be just fine with the 12A load on a level 1 EVSE.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Velius posted:

My 2008 Civic is getting pretty long in the teeth (200k miles and counting), and I want to get an EV. I'm inclined toward a used Tesla 3, but I'm coming into this knowing not very much about the options. Especially the difference between autopilot (which I think I want? Maybe? I have a 110 mile commute to work twice a week and more safety features related to freeway driving are probably good since I'm frequently driving before sunrise. But maybe this is also a non-starter too?) and full self-driving, which sounds like a boondogle I'll never remotely trust or use, and whether the extended range will mean enough range to reliably do 220 miles without recharging in winter. Finally I'm curious if buying used from Tesla is a good option; I'm really not an experienced car buyer and I'd rather deal with them then random people. I know there are non-Tesla options, but given I'm driving around 25k miles a year I'd prefer a used option since I'm going to be driving it into the ground, and I don't know enough about whether any of the new cars coming online are reliable long term.

Winter where? And how fast do you drive? California and 55mph, is gonna be different than Montana and 90mph. That’s an insanely long commute.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

borkencode posted:

Winter where? And how fast do you drive? California and 55mph, is gonna be different than Montana and 90mph. That’s an insanely long commute.

Midwest/Ohio. I typically drive 70-75 and it’s usually a 2 hour drive total at worst with traffic, since I avoid rush hour usually. It’s a lot, but doing it two days a week doesn’t feel that much worse than a 45 minute commute twice a day five days a week, which is what I was doing pre-move.

There seem to be superchargers both on the way in my home city and work city, so the charging question is feeling a bit less crucial after checking the map and realizing I can probably do a short stop on my way in to top of off needed; the inter-city stretch just doesn’t have much so I’d need to do it on my morning commute if I don’t want to get bogged down in traffic/lines. At this point I’m mostly trying to sort out how much model year matters (there’s some confusing information about the parking assist) and whether the autopilot is worthwhile.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My 22 Polestar 2 is ready for delivery today after the rear axle repair yesterday. I pressed the tech a little more on the issue and he said Polestar has no bulletin open on it, they have no leads on a cause, and suggested the issue is potentially the result of being too heavy on the accelerator. I'm not sure I buy that; I zoom around on country roads occasionally but I'm not that crazy of a driver and I certainly never track the thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tiny Timbs posted:

Polestar is Volvo right?

My first car was a Volvo back in the 1990s, a 1985 red brick wagon, because of their reputation at the time. My brother and sister both drove Volvos too and we called ourselves a "Volvo family".

That red brick ran for twenty years but I spent the last five constantly taking it into the shop. So in 2005 I switched to a new Toyota tacoma, paid cash for it, 13k, and drove it till now without ever having to take it to the shop ever for anything except scheduled maintenance and new tires. Now I'm selling it to my wife's brother for the 5k kbb trade in value

In the meanwhile my brother stuck with Volvos and I think put his mechanic's kids through college by himself. Driving them like they were jaguars with two of 'em so he'd have one to drive while the other was in the shop.

Volvo ain't what it useta be.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tiny Timbs posted:

My 22 Polestar 2 is ready for delivery today after the rear axle repair yesterday. I pressed the tech a little more on the issue and he said Polestar has no bulletin open on it, they have no leads on a cause, and suggested the issue is potentially the result of being too heavy on the accelerator. I'm not sure I buy that; I zoom around on country roads occasionally but I'm not that crazy of a driver and I certainly never track the thing.
:dafuq:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Velius posted:

Midwest/Ohio. I typically drive 70-75 and it’s usually a 2 hour drive total at worst with traffic, since I avoid rush hour usually. It’s a lot, but doing it two days a week doesn’t feel that much worse than a 45 minute commute twice a day five days a week, which is what I was doing pre-move.

There seem to be superchargers both on the way in my home city and work city, so the charging question is feeling a bit less crucial after checking the map and realizing I can probably do a short stop on my way in to top of off needed; the inter-city stretch just doesn’t have much so I’d need to do it on my morning commute if I don’t want to get bogged down in traffic/lines. At this point I’m mostly trying to sort out how much model year matters (there’s some confusing information about the parking assist) and whether the autopilot is worthwhile.

Yeah, that’s going to be a hard trip to do on a single charge. I have a 2021 LR and I’ve done one 200 mile trip from Chicago to Indianapolis, in ~40 degree weather, at 75mph. I went from 92% battery to 2%. That’s without cold soaking the battery in the middle of the trip. If you could charge at work that would be ideal, otherwise you’re gonna want to charge some on your way in, while the battery is warm. You’ll want one with a heat piump, so 2021 or newer. I think mid 2021 they added heated steering, if that’s important to you. In non winter conditions the range would be fine.

I think all Teslas come with “basic autopilot” which is lane keeping ACC. Then there’s “enhanced autopilot” which is automatic lane changes and following highway ramps to stay on route. I’ve used the parking assist once maybe, to try it out. But the three camera view and large screen makes backing in anywhere pretty drat easy.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The older Model 3s up until early 2019 had no autopilot at all. I also recommend getting one that has a heat pump, it’s a massive difference in winter range.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Polestar is Volvo right?

Volvo Cars owns I think 49.5% of Polestar, the second biggest owner is PSD Investment Ltd (UK), owned by Li Shufu, owner and founder of Geely. Geely owns 82% of Volvo Cars.

Polestar itself is headquartered in Sweden, design is in Sweden and the PRC while manufacturing is all in the PRC. Chengdu and Luqiao specifically. Luqiao is also where the XC40 is manufactured for the Chinese domestic market, and the new EX30 will only be built in Zhanjiakou, where earlier Volvo and Polestar has drivetrain production but now will also do complete assembly.

Without making a value judgment about something being made in China, it feels quite absurd sitting in the EX30 with its multitude of little Swedish flags on the interior and press material talking up the "Swedishness" of the EX30, when it was designed mostly in China and will only be made in Zhanjiakou, with afaict more than 85% Chinese domestic component suppliers.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Velius posted:

I think like other posters have said, that this might be tough on a model 3 LR in winter on a single charge. I think you'd want a heat pump model to maximize range. That said, the supercharger experience is pretty painless and if you can do most of your charging at home/work, it would still be a pretty good savings.

I was skeptical about autopilot, but it works pretty well in some circumstances, namely highway driving with light traffic. In that case, I use it quite a bit and is a really nice feature. I don't have the 'enhanced' autopilot, and from my experience in a test drive, and other's comments, it's not worth it. The auto-parking is finniky, and the auto lane change is not bad to do manually (I just hit the turn signal, which deactivates autosteer, but not cruise control, then re-enable after I make the lane change) I'd either look for a older Rear-wheel drive Long Range version (I think only made in 2018-2019, so no heat pump) or a newer LR with the heat pump.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The older Model 3s up until early 2019 had no autopilot at all. I also recommend getting one that has a heat pump, it’s a massive difference in winter range.

I don't think this is true? I think all models of the model 3 have had autopilot.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Thanks guys. I’m inclined toward a newer model for the heat pump, and will look at my options. Tesla financing is like 9% which is bonkers, so I might try and use my credit union at 5.5%, but I don’t know that will work with teslas purchasing system. If all else fails I can do cash, which might actually be a better if I can’t get the lower rates, although if I can get the 5.5% financing it’s a wash with my savings rate of return.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bone Crimes posted:

I don't think this is true? I think all models of the model 3 have had autopilot.

It’s true! I used to own a 2018 Model 3, and I had to pay $3,000 for basic autopilot. Current owners still have to pay up if they want it.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It’s true! I used to own a 2018 Model 3, and I had to pay $3,000 for basic autopilot. Current owners still have to pay up if they want it.

Huh. are you in the U.S.? I didn't have to pay, the $3K was for enhanced autopilot for me. I declined.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Velius posted:

Thanks guys. I’m inclined toward a newer model for the heat pump, and will look at my options.

heat

pimp

heat

pimp

heat

pimp

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bone Crimes posted:

Huh. are you in the U.S.? I didn't have to pay, the $3K was for enhanced autopilot for me. I declined.

At one point the choices were pay for enhanced autopilot or not get adaptive cruise at all.

Not that it's relevant to my part of the world but fumbling with the little plastic plugs that go over the CCS port on my Ioniq got me to thinking whether non-Tesla NACs cars will have something similar or be naked like a Tesla.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wrong post

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Bone Crimes posted:

I think like other posters have said, that this might be tough on a model 3 LR in winter on a single charge. I think you'd want a heat pump model to maximize range. That said, the supercharger experience is pretty painless and if you can do most of your charging at home/work, it would still be a pretty good savings.

My 2020 non-heatpump 3 performance (with 18" wheels == "stealth performance") would be dangerously close to 100-0% over a 220 mile trip in winter. While the trip is technically possible in most cases, one also needs to consider that 100%-0%-100% battery cycles are significantly more stressful to the pack than 80%-20%-80% cycles which are also more stressful than 70%-30%-70% cycles. Or really, the closer you are to 50% at all times the longer the pack will last in terms of total distance traveled. A "cycle" in a battery is the equivalent of charging and then discharging its entire capacity, so it would take 10 times of running between 45% and 55% before you would reach "1 cycle" on the pack, but that one cycle would still be significantly less wear than doing it all at once.

Basically you take two identical batteries, run one in full 100%-0%-100% cycles and it will reach its end of useful life (70% its original capacity) in about 1000 "cycles" or something like 5000 kWh worth of energy delivered. Now take the same battery, cycle it only though 55%-45%-55% and it will reach 5000 "cycles" before degrading to 70% capacity, or 25,000 kWh worth of energy delivered.

I would only attempt that commute with an EV as long as you have decent, reliable L2 charging at both ends (at home and at work) which would allow you to limit the depth of cycling as much as possible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dissss posted:

At one point the choices were pay for enhanced autopilot or not get adaptive cruise at all.

Ya, there was regular dumb cruise available on option-less Model 3s in the early days. I dunno if they ended up just giving them the basic AP package later or not. I don’t think many got (not)optioned that way.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Volvo Cars owns I think 49.5% of Polestar, the second biggest owner is PSD Investment Ltd (UK), owned by Li Shufu, owner and founder of Geely. Geely owns 82% of Volvo Cars.

Polestar itself is headquartered in Sweden, design is in Sweden and the PRC while manufacturing is all in the PRC. Chengdu and Luqiao specifically. Luqiao is also where the XC40 is manufactured for the Chinese domestic market, and the new EX30 will only be built in Zhanjiakou, where earlier Volvo and Polestar has drivetrain production but now will also do complete assembly.

Without making a value judgment about something being made in China, it feels quite absurd sitting in the EX30 with its multitude of little Swedish flags on the interior and press material talking up the "Swedishness" of the EX30, when it was designed mostly in China and will only be made in Zhanjiakou, with afaict more than 85% Chinese domestic component suppliers.

They announced a couple weeks ago that they'll also start making the EX30 in Belgium (Ghent) from 2025. Still not Sweden though!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
EX90 is supposed to be made in the big Swedish plant right?

My V60 polestar was made there apparently. It just got off the ship on Monday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Over a year on my '23 Volvo XC40 Recharge and it still owns.

I am a it heavy on the accelerator at times, but I haven't heard any noise out of the axles.