Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

PhilippAchtel posted:

I'm torn by this argument because on the face, it's absolutely true.

But imperialism is a system with many cogs, and everyone in the core plays a role and enjoys the benefits.

This soldier is the cutting edge of the threshing machine, but are they more complicit than the gears that turn the mechanism, the oil that sustains the machine?

I understand the point being made, but soldiers are subject to the same pressures as all of us, so while I wouldn't do that work myself, I also don't see the point of moralizing against individuals like this.

The only exception I make is cops, and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe because they are directly responsible for violent suppression of those who seek to destroy the system at home, but I suppose you could make the same argument about soldiers.

I don’t really begrudge the people who enlist at 17-18 do one tour and get out because at that age you’re impressionable and exposed to all sorts of propaganda so “endure 5 years of some menial bullshit in the army, get out and go to college for free” sounds like a real good plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

no hes a sicknasty old lich who conjures demons just like you wanted so now you have to vote for him

I will never hand it to him and you can’t make me!!!

mags
May 30, 2008

Biden’s favorite people who vote for him are the ones who don’t want to

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

wasn’t that Facebook’s attempt at a Twitter clone that everyone hated

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/emmagf/status/1726770552168198372

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wasn’t that Facebook’s attempt at a Twitter clone that everyone hated

yeah but it doesn't need to be good, it just needs to continue existing as an alternative to twitter as elon self destructs

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah but it doesn't need to be good, it just needs to continue existing as an alternative to twitter as elon self destructs

imagine running a glorified forum into the ground

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bishyaler posted:

imagine paying billions of dollars for the privilege of running a glorified forum into the ground

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

None of you will every be able to hate Soldiers with the fire and passion of an old Sergeant Major.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I thought that was Blue Sky?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sarah huckabee sanders had more empathy for kids in cages than jen psaki

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

incredible visual metaphor

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Top G posted:

I don’t really begrudge the people who enlist at 17-18 do one tour and get out because at that age you’re impressionable and exposed to all sorts of propaganda so “endure 5 years of some menial bullshit in the army, get out and go to college for free” sounds like a real good plan

yeah my high school was filled with recruiters and as a consequence i had a fair amount of friends who enlisted. war in iraq era. i blame the hideous propaganda machine, not them. no hell hot enough for recruiters.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

incredible visual metaphor

it's so loving funny that they went with this photo. was the photo after he blew out the candles WORSE? somehow??

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

lmao

mags
May 30, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Sarah huckabee sanders had more empathy for kids in cages than jen psaki

child work release instead of child jail

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/dwdavison/status/1726996711514706259

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DrManiac posted:

But why does it have to be this 80 year old fucker though? The dems could put pretty much anybody else forward and do better polling-wise.

:ssh: 81 year old fucker as of yesterday

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dems protecting their true constituency: weapons manufacturers.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the democrats are going to lose both houses, and Donald Trump will win 40 states

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Yeah is that the show about a Matt Laueresque stand in molester dude? Always thought that's a fuxked idea for a show.

that was the first season with steve carell as the matt, and it was actually well-written & developed.

second season was year of covid, with people in this fictional story having & wearing masks at the jump, also getting covid but no one dies from it.

third season is about TERRORISTS AT THE CAPITOL and also jon hamm plays the totally-not-elon-musk person.

the more american tv writers try to be topical the more succ that comes out of it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Twitter decided to send me a notification about this

https://twitter.com/JohnWDean/status/1726785535279239374

this guy is loving terrified at the prospects of ex-convicts having political rights

not even ex-convicts, all he thinks you should need to get kicked out of democracy is an indictment

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shageletic posted:

Yeah is that the show about a Matt Laueresque stand in molester dude? Always thought that's a fuxked idea for a show.

The original premise of the show is that, yes, Steve Carell's character gets MeToo'd, and this gives the network an opportunity to replace him, and they pick up Reese Witherspoon's character, a Texan that goes viral because of a Sorkin-esque viral meltdown monologue and the network head thinks having a Straight Shooter That Tells It Like It Is can be a great way for their liberal channel to pick up Trump-esque rural appeal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLaNhAgpUsQ

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought Bernie's "It's OK To Be Angry About Capitalism" earlier this year when I saw it on store shelves while on vacation

I gave it away tonight - put it up for a book donation drive

bye bye

I still have those drat concert posters for the public enemy and smiths (?) shows they had for him. They're in a corner of a closet & should prolly go into the destined-for-goodwill bag.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Clip-On Fedora posted:

gently caress anybody who thinks the Democrats are any better than the Republicans at this point.

There was food assistance during the pandemic in the form of expanded SNAP and free school lunches.

Some of the aid even stayed after the pandemic was mostly over. The Biden admin permanently upped SNAP benefits by about 30% and kept a higher income threshold for free school lunches.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

loquacius posted:

this guy is loving terrified at the prospects of ex-convicts having political rights

not even ex-convicts, all he thinks you should need to get kicked out of democracy is an indictment

well yeah. you know who john dean is, right?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

(a weird take on the aid provided during the pandemic that conveniently leaves out the +$600/week unemployment comp)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

loq come on man it's John Dean

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/washingtonpost/status/1727001211977576951?s=20

quote:

“I look at Steve as my Statue of Liberty,” said Ly, now 77. “Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, my family is reunited together. Without Steve, we might not be here.”

Greene, 80, is a former Marine, wounded in action in Vietnam in 1967. He went on to hold the top position in the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration in Saigon, now known as Ho Chi Minh City. After returning home, he continued his career with the DEA, eventually becoming acting deputy administrator during the George H.W. Bush administration in the early 1990s.

It was during the early 1970s that he became friends with Ly, a Vietnamese police officer who was head of the country’s narcotics bureau in Saigon and often helped DEA agents.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mags posted:

zucc’s succ n fucc manor of boring repute

it's funny as hell that libs trying to decide whether bluesky, threads or mastodon (<--remember that?) should be the preferred replacement for evil elon's house of ill repute, then failing to achieve critical mass on any of them & continuing to use twitter instead.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Willa Rogers posted:

(a weird take on the aid provided during the pandemic that conveniently leaves out the +$600/week unemployment comp)

My state gave away billions in unemplpyment money to foreign scammers, the women in charge of it got hired by the biden admin because she was a big fundraiser for them, and the state is still clawing back benefits from working class and poor 3 years later lmao

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

any day now

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bluesky is probably not going to leave the status it is in, it's more exclusive and unique that way

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i dont think actively being in prison should remove your right to vote, so sure, let someone under indictment run for president.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

"For heaven sakes, hold this man responsible for his aberrant and bullying behavior before he further destroys our country. Enough is enough is enough!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SixteenShells posted:

i dont think actively being in prison should remove your right to vote, so sure, let someone under indictment run for president.

these people never think these things through because if merely being under an indictment is supposed to be enough to disqualify you from being able to run for office, that would be weaponized by Republicans in a split-second

poo poo, that's what Putin would do!!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

I still have those drat concert posters for the public enemy and smiths (?) shows they had for him. They're in a corner of a closet & should prolly go into the destined-for-goodwill bag.

lmao at the idea of The Smiths doing a concert for Bernie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

My state gave away billions in unemplpyment money to foreign scammers, the women in charge of it got hired by the biden admin because she was a big fundraiser for them, and the state is still clawing back benefits from working class and poor 3 years later lmao

illinois & california were two of the top fraud states for unemployment comp, and they linked the cause to those states farming out the design & implementation of those systems to mckinsey-style consultants.

and yet tens of millions of people were making more on unemployment comp than they'd been making at their minimum-wage jobs. It was guaranteed basic income that worked when it wasn't hosed.