Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
How is the new DLC? Where does it fit on the spectrum of Iberia to Tournaments?

I was so disappointed with Iberia. It just felt like a demo for a cool feature for mods to hook into to make exciting.

And does anyone have the sunset invasion paradox removed my ability to feel image handy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think its basically just iberia but... persia

there are like 3 features for clan things outside of persia and thats it. if you play frenchies or something you wont notice

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Demon_Corsair posted:

I was so disappointed with Iberia. It just felt like a demo for a cool feature for mods to hook into to make exciting.

And does anyone have the sunset invasion paradox removed my ability to feel image handy?

I think it's worse than Iberia, but I say this thinking Iberia is good.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I like the new clan mechanics because it actually makes clan different from feudal. The struggle mechanics added to Iberia are a little weird and it felt like they reacted to Iberian phases moving too slow by really speeding up the Iranian ones and now they seem to switch too fast.

Iranian ones seem to be based around conquering most of Persia to make it work too. Iberia at least has diplomatic options, but maybe I missed one in Iran. I’m only in the middle of my first game playing it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

George Sex - REAL posted:

I think it's worse than Iberia, but I say this thinking Iberia is good.

Tell me what I’m missing. I did a struggle for Iberia once and it just kind of ticked away in the background and I couldn’t affect it. It was kind of nice to be able to ally Muslim rulers to help me fight other Christians sometimes, but for the most part it was just of just …. There…

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they bundled the culture stuff in the free update, didnt they? its pretty funny they added racism in a culturally sensitive way

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Demon_Corsair posted:

I don't have Iberia, but I like Persia, it is fairly fun to weaponize nomads while the struggle lasts, finally something that breaks the Abbasid blob, but the struggle concludes in about hundred years or less, so the main feature of DLC is limited. I also like the new art and flavor it gives to the region, but I guess it's similar to other flavor packs - if you tend to play in the affected region, it's likely worth it, if not - meh.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
See

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

With Iberia there were a lot of complaints that it took too long, because Paradox wanted it to be something that was going for the majority of the game. I think they took that feedback and went the other way, making Persia too short.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question but are there any fun mods people can recommend?

Elder Kings 2, AGOT.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Dwesa posted:

I don't have Iberia, but I like Persia, it is fairly fun to weaponize nomads while the struggle lasts, finally something that breaks the Abbasid blob, but the struggle concludes in about hundred years or less, so the main feature of DLC is limited. I also like the new art and flavor it gives to the region, but I guess it's similar to other flavor packs - if you tend to play in the affected region, it's likely worth it, if not - meh.

Dyre the stranger can break them pretty easy all on his own. I grabbed horse archers on my way there, and with 2x vanagrian and 2x horse archers my ~5k 3 star army eats their 15k 2 star army for breakfast.

Shame I have to convert from astaru to end the struggle as it's uninvolved and would take far too long to get it involved. At least my norse-kazar-persian culture counts as involved!

Edit: on that note, everyone should try Dyre. He's basically a better Haesteinn

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question but are there any fun mods people can recommend?

After the End

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
whats dyre?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

whats dyre?

Dyre the Stranger. Viking in the 867 start in modern day Ukraine.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

whats dyre?

not much what's dyre with you?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So after going through the tutorials for CK3 and Victoria 3, I think I'm gonna stick with CK3 for now.

That being said, I accidentally married myself to a ruler of a different duchy for a potential alliance so now she can't be on my council. Is this a bad thing?

Also, I still can't tell whether I should get the Chapter II DLC. Some people are positive saying they add more role play, while other people hate it saying they just spam your game with pop-ups. What do you all think?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Well, had my first actual game. Managed to conquer half of Ireland before succession issues kicked up. Struggled the first attempts at a game to manage income, piety, and prestige. Income was the hardest to overcome. I focused solely on my economy / learning for the first 20 years and only added some siege equipment to compliment my levies…

Then a succession hit. Survived the first one. Second succession, I lost half my land to my sibling and we had a back and forth war for the next 10 years and ruined everything… over Dublin, gently caress.

I just managed to finally get my development in Thormond (my capital) to 15 and I felt like I was in a good way…

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Holy poo poo do NOT accept a White Peace from the Seljuks. I wasn't paying full attention and it turns out White Peace is just as bad as Surrender. I went from being the powerful Abbasid Caliph, with control over all of the muslim lands from Iberia to India, and now all I control is the Caliphate title and a tiny handful of counties. Everyone in the empire has become unlanded, and the Seljuks now have hundreds of counties to hand out like candy. The fact that this is an Ironman run makes it even worse!!

Edit: I used a cheat engine script to enable the console and slew the Seljuks and returned the Arabian empire to myself. I need to dole out titles now, so uh at least border gore is fixed? The entire realm now has low county control and all the new title holders will have no cash to work with, so I guess I'll accept this as the mechanical punishment for not paying enough drat attention. I'm not sure how I'd spin it from a role-playing perspective. Some sort of Time Crash or something. Parallel universe collided with our own and mixed in a bizarre way.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 23, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Neurion posted:

Holy poo poo do NOT accept a White Peace from the Seljuks. I wasn't paying full attention and it turns out White Peace is just as bad as Surrender. I went from being the powerful Abbasid Caliph, with control over all of the muslim lands from Iberia to India, and now all I control is the Caliphate title and a tiny handful of counties. Everyone in the empire has become unlanded, and the Seljuks now have hundreds of counties to hand out like candy. The fact that this is an Ironman run makes it even worse!!

Edit: I used a cheat engine script to enable the console and slew the Seljuks and returned the Arabian empire to myself. I need to dole out titles now, so uh at least border gore is fixed? The entire realm now has low county control and all the new title holders will have no cash to work with, so I guess I'll accept this as the mechanical punishment for not paying enough drat attention. I'm not sure how I'd spin it from a role-playing perspective. Some sort of Time Crash or something. Parallel universe collided with our own and mixed in a bizarre way.

White peace isnt as bad as surrender, it simply returns you to the status quo. If you were leading a rebellion it might look like your lands decreased, but that's just because you were first among equals

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Buschmaki posted:

White peace isnt as bad as surrender, it simply returns you to the status quo. If you were leading a rebellion it might look like your lands decreased, but that's just because you were first among equals

My dude, I was the Abbasid emperor of the Arabian empire. The Seljuks were a single-duchy vassal of mine that decided they wanted to own the entire empire. Their special CB apparently lets them win on a White Peace.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes I just noticed this too, although a little different. The Seljuks were in one duchy in my Persian empire. They were attacking the Arabian empire next door the same time as I was, although the claims were for different lands.

The weird thing was that I won first and got the kingdom of Arabia. Then a few years later, the Seljuks and Arabians ended their war in a white peace and all of a sudden my lands went to them and they became independent. Seems like a total bug to me. I wasn’t even at war with the Seljuks, but I lost the lands anyway.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Yeah the seljuk invasion cb is bugged. It’s supposed to give them some land on white peace so they get landed the first time, but the coders reused the cb so now its an omega-invasion that takes all the owners dejure primary the second time. Extremely messed up

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it possible for Catholic Europeans to marry into families completely outside of their cultural and religious spheres like the Seljuks etc?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You can definitely marry other Christians, not just Catholics, and of any culture. Problem is that Christians tend to be Europeans, and sometimes the Coptics down in east Africa. The Iberian struggle also allows for marrying Muslims. I think you can also marry Hindus, but it’s been a while, and you’d need to get close enough to India to find any to marry.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is it possible for Catholic Europeans to marry into families completely outside of their cultural and religious spheres like the Seljuks etc?

In order for someone else to accept a marriage proposal, they must view your religion as Hostile (not Evil) or better. So as a Christian your only options are other Christians, any faith with the Christian Syncretism tenet, and all the Eastern faiths. Maybe some Dualists or Gnostics, but I don't recall exactly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Neurion posted:

Edit: I used a cheat engine script to enable the console and slew the Seljuks and returned the Arabian empire to myself.

wuss

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hey. Hey. I am not going to allow a bugged CB to ruin a very enjoyable run. If it was poor management on my part that lost me a war I'd accept the L and fight for my title again. This was not the case. The war was bugged from the start, as their tiny 2k stack of troops was standing right on one of my vassal's castles but there was no siege happening. Maybe this was because they were a vassal of one of my vassals, who knows. I thought "well, that's interesting, I suppose I can take advantage of a forever defensive war," and changed all of my tax jurisdictions to Ghazi status, dramatically boosting my At War income by approx +60%. I was riding high, bringing in so much in taxes. Then, when I needed there to not be a war anymore, as war was blocking a diplomatic action, I accepted their White Peace offer, expecting them to just go back to being a vassal of a vassal. No, suddenly my highest title is the Sunni Caliphate duchy title and my only county is the tiny one on Cyprus. Absolutely unexpected game behavior in every way.

Edit: Also enabling the console disabled achievements for the rest of the run, and I'm fine with that. I'll accept that L. I had already gotten the achievement for ending the Iranian Intermezzo, so I was content.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 23, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Neurion posted:

Hey. Hey. I am not going to allow a bugged CB to ruin a very enjoyable run. If it was poor management on my part that lost me a war I'd accept the L and fight for my title again. This was not the case. The war was bugged from the start, as their tiny 2k stack of troops was standing right on one of my vassal's castles but there was no siege happening. Maybe this was because they were a vassal of one of my vassals, who knows. I thought "well, that's interesting, I suppose I can take advantage of a forever defensive war," and changed all of my tax jurisdictions to Ghazi status, dramatically boosting my At War income by approx +60%. I was riding high, bringing in so much in taxes. Then, when I needed there to not be a war anymore, as war was blocking a diplomatic action, I accepted their White Peace offer, expecting them to just go back to being a vassal of a vassal. No, suddenly my highest title is the Sunni Caliphate duchy title and my only county is the tiny one on Cyprus. Absolutely unexpected game behavior in every way.

Edit: Also enabling the console disabled achievements for the rest of the run, and I'm fine with that. I'll accept that L. I had already gotten the achievement for ending the Iranian Intermezzo, so I was content.

*closing my eyes and thinking very deeply* The Seljuk cb is the will of god...

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Buschmaki posted:

*closing my eyes and thinking very deeply* The Seljuk cb is the will of god...

If it is Allah's will that the Seljuks should rule over my empire, then let him resurrect them and present them to me and I will surrender the crown.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New patch was released today, it should fix issues with Seljuk invasion among other things

quote:

You won't be able to accuse servants of being the real father of someone else's heir when they are younger than the heir in question.
:lol:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 23, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Started another Mongol game, 867 start, and uhhh this has gone a lot quicker than I expected, lol.

Started as a custom Chieftess of Uvs Nuur in 867.
Early on I petitioned my way to be the Kirgiz khan's marshal, then saved up gold to create the Duchy of Ubsunur Hollow, had the Khan grant me my neighbouring chief as a vassal, then conquered a few counties from the surrounding lands.

Before long an independence faction against the Khan popped up. I joined, and we actually managed to press our demands without civil war. The Khanate remained pretty big, it was actually just a few small duchies/counties that broke off.

But for whatever reason the Khan's military power remained absolutely pathetic, so I just up and declared a subjugation war on him, marched into his capital with zero opposition, and went straight from a High Chieftess with a few vassals to Khatun with huge swathes of land.

From there, most of the other rulers from the old independence faction vassalised themselves to me voluntarily before long, so I just had to gobble up a few stray blips on the map to get the realm size requirement fulfilled.

So long story short, I went from Chieftess to Genghis Khan in 27 years.

In retrospect I'm sure it can be done a lot quicker too, but I didn't really go into this with any kind of plan, just kinda went with the flow.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hell yeah dawg. Shame playing as the Great Khan sucks after succession.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Playing as Poland, is there any way to reach primogeniture before heat death of universe other than "adopt different culture"?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Szarrukin posted:

Playing as Poland, is there any way to reach primogeniture before heat death of universe other than "adopt different culture"?

No

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Servetus posted:

Dyre the Stranger. Viking in the 867 start in modern day Ukraine.

what region?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

At Kyiv. Though I think it gets rendered in Norse, so Kaunagardr or some such

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

God drat it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Szarrukin posted:

Steal the Byzzies empire title, since I believe it's the last title exception. It used to be that you could hold the Duchy of Verona, but they patched that out a while back.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Steal the Byzzies empire title, since I believe it's the last title exception. It used to be that you could hold the Duchy of Verona, but they patched that out a while back.

Yeah, the others are from decisions. Empire of Francia (after Restore Carolingian Borders), Archduchy of Austria, and Roman Empire (but you need to use law invalidation/reland)

Other exceptions are Mongol Empire/derivatives (high partition) and technically Bohemia (house seniority but requires the tradition, so redundant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you think it's annoying dealing with partition, imagine how the guys irl felt!! Just force all your eligible heirs to become bishops