Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FAUXTON posted:

I was really impressed with the extent of coverage last summer, I think the only dead spots were passing geographic ones while driving from Reykjavik to Akureyri, but even clear out on the end of that Western peninsula sticking into the Greenland Sea I was able to do a video call with folks back home.

It was surreal being able to send my parents photos of me standing on Sólheimajökull glacier as it was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I remember once reading/hearing that Iceland is the most developed country in the world.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

How much you want to bet they will still be green and if you are in a group text with other iMessage users, your RCS message will likely look like a regular text. I think. Either way Apple, isn't exactly going to promote or call attention to the benefits to RCS.

I ended up getting a Pixel 8 pro and love it. I still have my Fold 4 so I use both, depending on the circumstances.

Edit: I'm in my mid '40s and don't give a poo poo about blue versus green. Those triggered can enable B&W mode in accessibility settings and get of my lawn. :corsair:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 21, 2023

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Heads up for non-premium yt.
https://www.androidcentral.com/apps-software/youtube-loads-slower-on-firefox#section-update

Update (November 20, 8:48 pm ET) posted:

A YouTube spokesperson has confirmed that the YouTube slowdowns on Firefox are related to its anti-ad-blocker efforts.

"To support a diverse ecosystem of creators globally and allow billions to access their favorite content on YouTube, we’ve launched an effort to urge viewers with ad blockers enabled to allow ads on YouTube or try YouTube Premium for an ad free experience," the company said in an email to Android Central. "Users who have ad blockers installed may experience suboptimal viewing, regardless of the browser they are using."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This is on the tail of them announcing they're killing uBlock Origin next year too. gently caress google.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Just turn your adblockers off or get YouTube premium. I don't understand how 5-10 seconds of ads is such an impossible price to pay for all the amazing, often "grassroots" content on YouTube. Expecting all of that for $0 is just pure entitlement to me.

And in general across the web, it's not the 00's anymore, ads are much more well behaved now in general. The sites with the truly cancerous ads are the sites you don't want to visit anyway. Try going a week without an adblocker, it will be fine, I promise.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Anyone have the oneplus open? Is there anything annoying you about that phone? Bad camera shutter lag? I remember someone was complaining about the display forcing 60hz?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Just turn your adblockers off or get YouTube premium. I don't understand how 5-10 seconds of ads is such an impossible price to pay for all the amazing, often "grassroots" content on YouTube. Expecting all of that for $0 is just pure entitlement to me.

And in general across the web, it's not the 00's anymore, ads are much more well behaved now in general. The sites with the truly cancerous ads are the sites you don't want to visit anyway. Try going a week without an adblocker, it will be fine, I promise.

:lol:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Pvt. Parts posted:

Because to me the content is not worth it and should it be paywalled or vanish I would not be worse off for it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

shut up

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

withoutclass posted:

Because to me the content is not worth it and should it be paywalled or vanish I would not be worse off for it.
lol "it's not worth 50 cents a day but it's worth complaining about"
i watch a lot of youtube and it's def. worth it to not have to see any ads or worry about when my ad blocker will stop working or get me banned. i do use sponsorblock on desktop, though

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Pvt. Parts posted:

I have YouTube premium but the ads are extremely bad for nonpremium users. Like the point there's sometimes more ad than real content level with unskippable 20+ second ads (as in more than one) so yeah I get it.

Pvt. Parts posted:

lol there's so many legit pages that have ads that are actively redirecting to other pages with malware and you can't do poo poo about it on mobile with no ad blocker. Like these ads are likely going to be what pulls me out of using Chrome for everything because I'm trying to browse any normal page and getting horrible fake McAfee scan pages that make reading legit sites unreadable as the scammers keep hopping between ad vendors with new different fake accounts paying real money. It's not gotten better, default browse ad blocks have gotten a bit better and maybe you are reading only paid ad free pages in your normal browsing. But I'm seeing it happen on local news sites.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah no, as long as YouTube doesn't feel compelled to have a human screen their ads for at the very least explicit hate speech I don't feel even slightly compelled to allow them to play, and I'll give up YouTube and Android before I do. Expecting the community to not only watch but also screen your ads for you is asinine.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

butt dickus posted:

i watch a lot of youtube and it's def. worth it to not have to see any ads or worry about when my ad blocker will stop working or get me banned. i do use sponsorblock on desktop, though

lmao yeah he doesn't even hear himself

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pvt. Parts posted:

You mean aside from the multiple incidents of people being served "ads" that are 90+ minutes long as a pre-roll?

I have premium, but I still use uBlock and SponsorBlock.

And your understanding of the current ad climate is woefully inadequate. Ad networks continue to be attack vectors, and also tend to STILL be really loving annoying, taking up bandwidth and overall making GBS threads up the entire experience.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

butt dickus posted:

Humanity.txt

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

AlexDeGruven posted:

And your understanding of the current ad climate is woefully inadequate. Ad networks continue to be attack vectors, and also tend to STILL be really loving annoying, taking up bandwidth and overall making GBS threads up the entire experience.

Yes, and TV ads can be annoying and obnoxious too. But that is the price you are paying to consume the content, which was produced by other humans, and does not fall out of the air. Otherwise you are effectively stealing the content, or stealing the use of the content, to be pedantic. I'm not saying I'm some perfect saint, I still :filez: on occasion if media is very difficult to find through legitimate means. But to have "I never want to see an ad on this content I pay literally nothing for!" as a policy is utterly bewildering and like I said, entitled, to me.

Ok that's my last post on this derail please don't probe me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Otherwise you are effectively stealing the content

These posts don't deserve any response beyond :lol:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Pvt. Parts posted:

Yes, and TV ads can be annoying and obnoxious too.
For the most part: TV ads can't actively infect your machine if you click them or they even load (lol thanks IoT and adding ads on home screens of weird TV OSes I guess this will end up the next thing soon.) so any annoyance with an ad on TV content vs PC/Phone is gonna be a lot different, let alone ads being way worse on resources these days making functional pages unable to load well.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Pvt. Parts posted:

Yes, and TV ads can be annoying and obnoxious too. But that is the price you are paying to consume the content, which was produced by other humans, and does not fall out of the air. Otherwise you are effectively stealing the content, or stealing the use of the content, to be pedantic. I'm not saying I'm some perfect saint, I still :filez: on occasion if media is very difficult to find through legitimate means. But to have "I never want to see an ad on this content I pay literally nothing for!" as a policy is utterly bewildering and like I said, entitled, to me.

Pretending that content creators are paid even a fraction of the money YouTube makes on ads and are therefore a reason not to block them is disingenuous as hell. I've been on both sides of that equation (advertiser and content creator), and YouTube is clearly making the vast, vast majority of the money and pumping up payouts to high performers to induce FOMO-driven content creation from non-Partner accounts that never see a dime.

And again, making tons of money while not even checking to see if your ads are legal in the places you run them is well below any bar they'd have to pass for me to watch them.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Pvt. Parts posted:

Like anything, it's up to the consumer to decide what the value of something is. It's also up to the consumer to decide how they feel about ads.

For me, I watch maybe 1-2 videos a week and there are other avenues from which I could glean the same information.

I have a similar issue with traditional media in that the vast majority of it is formulaic and really not all that great and I'd be fine if 80% of it ceased to exist.

I don't expect anyone else to feel this way, but for me, I ain't paying and I ain't watching ads.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:siren:Moderator note:siren:

Let's keep this derail as civil and short as possible. Thanks.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i'm no longer a teenager with lots of time and no money. my time to not have to watch ads or get involved in the ad/ad blocker escalation war is well worth the $23/month i spend for myself and family members. especially when compared to tv which is much more expensive and has ads. i do understand not wanting to see ads, i instead don't use the things with ads, or i pay to not see the ads

withoutclass posted:

For me, I watch maybe 1-2 videos a week and there are other avenues from which I could glean the same information.
so why aren't you using those instead?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Bottom Liner posted:

These posts don't deserve any response beyond :lol:

And barely even that

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Android 14 has introduced a bug to my Xperia 1 V which is becoming more and more frustrating, curious if the other 1 V users have encountered it yet. With the AOD on if I press the power button to wake the device, the screen just goes black. It reads my fingerprint and unlocks because I can hear it make the unlock sound, and if I press the button again I can hear it make the lock sound. Sometimes this clears up by me just putting it face down and picking it back up so the proximity sensor can tell there is nothing in front of it, but that doesn't always work and sometimes I just have to wait for it to decide the display should turn on again.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Resdfru posted:

I don't have it yet on Google fi but I'll install it as soon as it becomes available

One ui 6 on s23 ultra on Google fi downloading now

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

butt dickus posted:

If they're still using Google or a Google-based search, it's likely because Alphabet has been front loading text search with video results for years. There is query manipulation you can do to minimize that, but for less technical people all roads lead to a 3 minute video for the answer to a question.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Both Google and YouTube search have taken massive nosedives in the last few years. I don’t want to see 5 results then see “viewers also watched” videos.i don’t want to see shorts. I don’t want AI summaries of my search results that are laughably inaccurate. Whoever is steering the direction of Google to make everything a lovely version of the TikTok algorithm needs to disappear.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

butt dickus posted:

Given the option I'd rather listen than read and the dude is fairly entertaining, but getting video game news has no lack of sources.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Resdfru posted:

One ui 6 on s23 ultra on Google fi downloading now

Everything looks fine except my home screen app icons are huge. My good Lock layout seems intact so I dunno what's up. Quick glance doesn't show any settings for icon size, so maybe I did have a different grid size in good lock

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really want OneUI on my Tab S9 Ultra so I can view my Pixel 8 Pro photos in full HDR on that stunning display. You need Android 14 to view them in HDR.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Bottom Liner posted:

This is on the tail of them announcing they're killing uBlock Origin next year too. gently caress google.

uBlock Origin is getting canned?! Source?

I've got a few persistent bugs in my Pixel 8. Bluetooth oxygen drops connection with various other devices or cuts sound off. Playing Netflix and YouTube videos is a bit choppy at times, with audio continuing but the video is frozen. I have cleared cache on the apps but it makes no difference.

Help!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

uBlock Origin is getting canned?! Source?

quote:

Google confirms they will disable MV2 extensions including uBlock Origin in mid 2024

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/resuming-the-transition-to-mv3/

https://9to5google.com/2023/11/16/chrome-extensions-disabled/

It's not the first time they've threatened this, but I am more willing to believe it happens this time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That 9to5google article and comments say adblocks will still be a thing and there is also a mv3 ublock origin being developed.....

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Oh if it's just Chrome then that's fine, I use Firefox.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh if it's just Chrome then that's fine, I use Firefox.

This is for Chrome...

CLAM DOWN posted:

That 9to5google article and comments say adblocks will still be a thing and there is also a mv3 ublock origin being developed.....

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CLAM DOWN posted:

Its already developed and available to use.
https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/ublock-origin-lite/ddkjiahejlhfcafbddmgiahcphecmpfh?pli=1

These are the things it won't be able to do:
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBOL-home/wiki/Frequently-asked-questions-(FAQ)#filtering-capabilities-which-cant-be-ported-to-mv3

It also can't auto update filter lists I believe. Filter lists are baked into the extension now so your filters will only update when a new version of uBlock Origin Lite is released.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 22, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

youtube is good and the content is better than the scripted drama/comedy or reality poo poo on any of the other streaming services. i happily pay for premium to not watch ads. i also pay for netflix and barely ever watch it bc most of it sucks (i go on for a month or two and then back off for a while).

if you don't pay for it, you should see ads just like you get on free spotify or hulu. the real deplorable thing is sponsored content in the video itself bc manscaped or nordvpn or blue apron or whatever is sponsoring a content creator and they have to pretend they actually use the product

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

in actual android news, i removed and re-added my credit card to google pay and it works fine now.

used it today to pay for garage parking which actually used to never work with my 7 so that was a nice surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
I have been in Team Pixel since the Nexus 4. I was seriously considering upgrading from the 7 Pro to the 8 Pro, but it got more expensive and I'm getting tired of how big the Pros are.

I know it's not out yet, but the S24 will be released at the beginning of next year, I assume that's the next best thing if I want a phone of similar quality/capability of the 8 Pro? From what I've read, it's possible to mostly hide the annoying Samsung bits and One UI 6.0 is supposed to be pretty good?

I mainly want a good camera and good battery life (but also a telephoto lens).