Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I came into the office today because I don't know. Why do people think it's okay to hop into meetings and just pipe their sound through their computer speakers, no headset? We have an open floor plan, people. I may be on the opposite side of the room from you but I can still hear every word of what's going on. I don't need to hear your meetings! Wear your headset!

The only thing I like about my current office is management's mandate that anyone attending an online meeting must, 100% of the time, use a headset.

Now if I can get them to outlaw speaker phones...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Record scratch freeze frame you're probably wondering how i got in this situation

Get a new joke

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I've only had a food order screwed up badly enough that I had to send it back exactly once and it was because there was a shard of glass in my burger and I didn't know how many more there were.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Should've been clear

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MightyJoe36 posted:

My fast food drive through pet peeve is the person in front of me taking 20 minutes to order their food. Dude! It's McDonalds! They have like 6 things on the menu. How can you not know what you want by the time you get up there?

mine is people ordering for more than 2 people in the drive through

then i drive up and the poo poo is like 40 dollars with a hundred things and now i gotta wait

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sorry to go off topic in the Getting Righteous About The Fast Food Experience thread but gently caress THIS LOUD LAWN MOWING rear end in a top hat RIGHT OUTSIDE MY WINDOW IT IS NOVEMBER THE LAWN WILL BE FROZEN SOON.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Hey, rear end in a top hat trash people - can you please NOT slam the loving dumpsters like the Hulk at 6:30 in the morning? I get you have a job to do but goddamn, do it at a different time when you're not gonna piss off every human in a 4 block radius.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They're finally done. It looks like it was an operation to remove the dead leaves from the outside lawn in the loudest, most cumbersome, least environmentally friendly way humanly possible.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The trash people here have a fancy truck that can lift and dump the dumpsters overhead but holy poo poo they drop it back down from five feet in the air. Maybe a trash person here can explain why there is a good reason for that but it startles me every time even if I am already awake.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Most garbage collectors are overworked and under a lot of time pressure. Shaving off a third of a second per stop by dropping the garbage can faster is going to make absolutely zero difference on their ability to complete their route on time but probably helps them feel like they're doing something about it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dip Viscous posted:

The trash people here have a fancy truck that can lift and dump the dumpsters overhead but holy poo poo they drop it back down from five feet in the air. Maybe a trash person here can explain why there is a good reason for that but it startles me every time even if I am already awake.

Exactly what they do here, only issue is it's an apartment complex with more than a dozen of these dumpsters. So from 6:30-ish on you hear that obnoxious BANG BANG every 5 minutes as they meander through the complex rage-loving things with their truck.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Dip Viscous posted:

In addition to what was said above, the parts of the truck intended to prevent exactly this problem are both expensive to service and not strictly necessary to the machine's operation. This generally means that when they break they don't get fixed. You can call the city to complain, if enough people do that they might put a newer truck with less-broken stuff on the route.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can’t sleep like at all for the past week or so. Why

Stop brain

It’s 4am and I’ve got like 4 30 minute chunks all night

Don’t say stop posting, shut up, no

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Train replacement buses not allowing bikes.

I was going to take the train to my friends' house and ride home, but now an unscheduled disruption means I've had to leave my bike behind half way there.

And I'd already planned around the scheduled disruption to make sure i could get my bike this far, when (turns out) it would have been more convenient to just catch the bus the whole way. :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I keep coming into this thread, writing up a whole peeve post, then realizing I don't actually give a poo poo and it's not worth even expressing, then deleting the post.

Probably very good for my emotional well-being but bad for my post count

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Instagram profiles that don't say where the business or person is when that's vital information. Tattoo artists/studios are especially bad for this. Instagram will recommend me a really cool looking one and I'll have no idea whether they're on my side of the world or not (almost certainly not but you never know!).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm watching this thing about how pikas survived wildfires or whatever, and it drives me nuts that they say the pika "is in the rabbit family." There is no "rabbit" family, and in fact the pika and rabbit aren't even in the same family (they're in the same order, though, both being lagomorphs)

I know they mean "the rabbit and pika are related," but when you're talking about taxonomic relationships I think using a categorical term in taxonomy to mean something else is annoying.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It annoys me that I have to unravel the whole cord if I just want to use the hose on my vacuum cleaner.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Chemtrailologist posted:

It annoys me that I have to unravel the whole cord if I just want to use the hose on my vacuum cleaner.

Big same. Its the littlest thing but man.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

pretty sure i've complained about this before but buying furniture is BULLSHIT why can't i just say 'i need a table x inches by y inches' and have table produced

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killingyouguy! posted:

pretty sure i've complained about this before but buying furniture is BULLSHIT why can't i just say 'i need a table x inches by y inches' and have table produced

I'm pretty sure you can, it just costs a lot more.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You can also build it yourself. Not any cheaper though.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Not in an apartment I can't 😔

Even more frustratingly, I've learned a 2x2 ikea kallax would fit perfectly in the weird space I need a table for. But I loving hate particle board you can't refinish that poo poo if it chips or anything

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
My pet peeve is that saying along the lines of 'Who are you going to believe? <someone> or your lying eyes?'

It seems like almost every time I see it used the person saying it actually literally has lying eyes because whatever they believe is complete bullshit. They're trying to rely on some folksy saying to imply that the facts of a situation don't matter and only what they believe about it matters.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My pet peeve is the phrase "two sides to every story." It used to just mean don't take everyone at face value, to get all the facts before making a judgement.

Now stupid people use it like a shield to reassure themselves when everyone is yelling at/making fun of them for having a poo poo take.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Black Friday, just everything about it: taking time out of a holiday all about being thankful to stand in line at Walmart for 30% off a TV. The way capital tries to spin it as "obligatory" this time of year. People calling it a "holiday".

I was hoping that the pandemic would finally spell the end of this lovely-rear end, quintessentially American, "tradition". No such luck. Motherfuck Black Friday and the capitalist pigs behind it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

30% eh? Hmmm

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Black Friday used to be a real thing, where retailers would discount leftover prior year stock to make room for new stock for the holiday season. Now the "holiday season" starts in October and computerized ordering has all but eliminated the concept of "leftover stock" being a thing that occurs at any particular time of year. The last "real" Black Friday in that sense was before 2010, and even by that point it was only high ticket electronics that sold poorly the prior year, and only at warehouse stores like BrandsMart.

My family did Black Friday every year until 2004 because it was legitimately worth it, but we were so poor it was also the only way we could afford some things. Nowadays it's all stuff made to be sold on the day, and it's all poo poo because it was built for the "sale" price point.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Black Friday used to be a real thing, where retailers would discount leftover prior year stock to make room for new stock for the holiday season. Now the "holiday season" starts in October and computerized ordering has all but eliminated the concept of "leftover stock" being a thing that occurs at any particular time of year. The last "real" Black Friday in that sense was before 2010, and even by that point it was only high ticket electronics that sold poorly the prior year, and only at warehouse stores like BrandsMart.

My family did Black Friday every year until 2004 because it was legitimately worth it, but we were so poor it was also the only way we could afford some things. Nowadays it's all stuff made to be sold on the day, and it's all poo poo because it was built for the "sale" price point.

You'd think this is universal knowledge in the age of the internet, but there's still hoards of people rushing in to buy plastic crap. People just love cheap plastic so much.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
When I worked at Fred Meyer as a 17 year-old, my boss warned me about "the sock sale." They never called it Black Friday, it was always "the sock sale." People die at the sock sale.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

lobsterminator posted:

You'd think this is universal knowledge in the age of the internet, but there's still hoards of people rushing in to buy plastic crap. People just love cheap plastic so much.

My father, who was largely the reason we stopped doing Black Friday, still falls for this stuff. Four or so years ago he bought a $50 desktop computer at walmart that was a Black Friday special. It was the motherboard of a small form factor laptop from 5 years prior stuffed into a desktop-sized case and couldn't even run Windows 10, which came preinstalled on it. Even with 7 installed it simply could not play YouTube videos without hitching, and that's the reason he bought it. It had a power brick and a whole mess of extensions and adapters inside to fake the form factor.

Humans are both bad at games and subconsciously drawn to gamification.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Thanksgiving annoys me. Boring bland turkey holiday between spooks and Santa.

I'm also angry at myself this morning bc my mom transferred 3k USD, without asking, just in case we could catch a last minute flight tonight or tomorrow. That's all but impossible, but I'm an enormous rear end in a top hat for being briefly annoyed at having a mom that would do that. I definitely gotta count my blessings and give some thanks tomorrow. And go see her for the new year in a month. Thanks maman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got the Mist 4k with 4 discs for 12 dollars at best buy. Black Friday rules

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I've noticed a few companies doing things like:

Cost in January: $600

Cost in August: $500

Cost on Black Friday: $750 $550! SAVE $200

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Leaf blowers. There's a place opposite and every week they will spend at least an hour blowing leaves with a petrol-powered backpack leaf blower. It could still be raining, or have a storm due to blow through later that day, and they will still use a leaf blower while I'm trying to either sleep or work from home.
I'm pretty sure they are paying the guy per hour and he just wants an easy job as often as he can, so I don't blame him so much as the fact these monstrosities are still allowed.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Hell, people around here that don't have any trees near their property or leaves on the ground will still buy leaf blowers and go wave them around at nothing for hours.

Edit: they do this with snow blowers too.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Nov 22, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Last Black Friday all I bought was a bunch of sound effects on the internet.

They're good sound effects and I got like 80% off.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

FreudianSlippers posted:

Last Black Friday all I bought was a bunch of sound effects on the internet.

They're good sound effects and I got like 80% off.

Black friday is great for software stuff. Games, music plugins, etc. Or stuff you were going to buy anyway that just gets discounted and you can order online. I can't imagine actually going to a store though, who does that?

Leaf blowers own and are great for blowing teargas back at the pigs during protests. They also make clearing dirt and debris off of gravel driveways super easy. I have a makita cordless blower, it's rad.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I bought the aid Anthology from Circuit City for $35 one Black Friday because I read the policies VERY closely, and it qualified as a Mac game. That’s my Black Friday story. I’ve lost most of it, but still have the Cyberdeamon as a Christmas ornament. At least I think I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Since I started eating more my fingernails grow so fast and I'm tired of clipping my nails