Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

priznat posted:

Wasn’t it just a pretty mid open world game anyway it’s not like there isn’t a poo poo ton of those to choose from.

Steph Sterling put out a vid dunking on it for not getting any of the (meaningless) video game awards and it was pretty funny.

Yeah, really immersive world, but the story is padded with a lot of busy work. If you don't like doing side quests, stay away.

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe just don't play the transphobe blood libel game.

It is genuinely weird how hard that is for people.

I mean for what its worth, the game has a trans character who is played by a trans voice actor. Its what made all of the hateful bigots drop the game right away when they thought they were playing it to own the libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ImpAtom posted:

i generally don't advocate avoiding media just because the person or people behind them suck poo poo because let's face it, you'd be extremely limited in what things you could ever enjoy by abiding by that. but when the creator gleefully brags about using the income from that product to push for transphobic laws and talks about how the continued success of it proves that actually they are right that transpeople are terrible and must be erased and everyone just silently agrees with them about it, that's pretty over the line

don't give jk rowling your money

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Ulio posted:

My goodness how good is Hi-Fi Rush, it truly is the whole package. Hopefully it wins some poo poo at the Game Awards, it definitely is excellent in many areas. Like just comparing a game like Spiderman, Spiderman is so incredibly generic it uses many of the same game mechanics as Ubisoft open world that get torn to shreds but if you hear the talk about Spiderman it gets lauded as some masterpiece, it's fun but very generic. If Hi-Fi Rush was made by Capcom or a Playstation studio people would literally never shut up about it.

Also gamepass is still the best thing in gaming imo, this was probably one of it's best year, before they even start adding ABK poo poo. It had a perfect blend of different genres, more games from Japan than ever before. Really exciting time to be an Xbox fan or gamepass user. Meanwhile I hate the direction Sony is going with developing a million live service games and remaking unnecessary games like Tlou2/Horizon1. I still play the PS5 since I love their single player exclusives and Square Enix exclusives. But they are moving away from my interests slowly.

The square enix exclusives are doing a lot of heavy lifting for PlayStation as almost anything else I’d want to play on the platform are either on pc or switch. I also don’t like Sonys current direction, but the idea of supporting the company that’s actively paying mountains of cash to devalue my platform of choice leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and ensures that I really do not want a ps5.

Edit: also hifi rush is a phenomenal game and it is criminally under appreciated.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ImpAtom posted:

It's really weird. Heaven forbid anyone not play the latest 3/5 open world banger.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dont play mid games

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I love boycotting poo poo. You tell me to boycott something, I'm on it. I still haven't played ME3, despite loving and completing the first two, because I'm still boycotting them for releasing it with day-1 DLC with a lore-relevant character locked in said DLC.

EA is going down.

E: reading this back it sounds sarcastic but it isn't. Recently I went to 4th-choice White Castle because I'm boycotting McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell. Love to do it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hi-Fi Rush rules.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I'm still playing Hardspace Shipbreaker. The achievement tracker says I just completed "Act 2" and about 66% done, and there's all sorts of drama involving unions, workers "disappearing" after making mistakes, a new manager that's inexperienced, but also insanely cruel, but the basic gameplay loop doesn't reflect any of this. It's still just taking apart ships in 15-minute shifts. I get the feeling I'm better off just ignoring the radio chatter, but I'm not someone who can tune that out - I have to listen to it.

Hardspace Shipbreaker was a horribly written game and I laughed when I saw the writer of the game was some online Twitter guy who acts like he's King poo poo of game narrative.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I love boycotting poo poo. You tell me to boycott something, I'm on it. I still haven't played ME3, despite loving and completing the first two, because I'm still boycotting them for releasing it with day-1 DLC with a lore-relevant character locked in said DLC.

EA is going down.

You're doing yourself a favor, ending at Mass Effect 2 is better for the story.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That's what I've heard! Fantastic two games with no third installment.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mass Effect 3 is bad rear end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was amazing and EA are literal criminals for not including it in the "remaster" which apparently just means making you pay for less of the game!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was amazing and EA are literal criminals for not including it in the "remaster" which apparently just means making you pay for less of the game!!

This is true and also it forces you to use the "extended cut" ending which, as bad as the original ending was, the EC is actually far worse.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m managing to boycott cod mw3 so far (just because it’s a loving ripoff, $90 CAD for a glorified dlc) but once it hits a sale I’m doing it I can’t find any other games that scratches that immediate action itch as well.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Starfield needed at least another year to flesh out a lot of what they wanted to do that they just didn’t have time for

I think they got to a point where they realized it wasn't fun. But oh poo poo it needs to get out. And they scrambled. But there's also the bad writing that it kinda more unforgivable the more I think about it. I think if the writing was sharper and they didn't feel the need to make a Game Pass game, everything would be better.

Still love the game, shot that Hope bitch right in the face and it owned but they gotta get better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

priznat posted:

I’m managing to boycott cod mw3 so far (just because it’s a loving ripoff, $90 CAD for a glorified dlc) but once it hits a sale I’m doing it I can’t find any other games that scratches that immediate action itch as well.

Holding out for game pass release

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Game Pass games are good actually

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ME3's ending is better after the changes though still pretty bad. I don't remember if the original version signposted so hard that Red was the 'good' choice. Right down to the person shown in the example being your noble commanding officer voiced by Keith David while the blue shows the loving Illusive Man. Which might almost be a clever trick for SLAM BLUE PARAGON types if not for the green 'perfect' choice and the whole everything else in the ending.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope the wizard game is on gamepass soon

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I said come in! posted:

Holding out for game pass release

Yeah that’d be cool, probably mid next year at the earliest I bet.

Still if mw2 gets on there earlier it would probably give it a bunch of new players in multiplayer so could be fun for a bit beforehand.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I hope the wizard game is on gamepass soon

I want to do a 12-hour stream where I bitch about Deathly Hallows.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

priznat posted:

I wasn't planning on getting it at all but my girlfriend got it for me as a present.

It's good for the standard mp experience. My two complaints about 2 were the way to quick ttk and the lack of maps. 3 addresses that right off the bat.

I gave up on two around mid summer, but drat is it nice to have a casual shooter again. HLL is fine but now I have to be up very early for work and can't commit to one round that lasts an hour and forty five minutes.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Battlefield 2042 keeps getting better, and the control mode is awesome.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Starfield owns, I fell off it in the process of clambering back on the Diablo 4 wagon and because Talos Principle 2 came out, but reading this thread actually has me kind of jazzed to boot it up and go into a Bethesda fugue state for while where levels go up and quests resolve themselves while I bunnyhop around

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ImpAtom posted:

ME3's ending is better after the changes though still pretty bad. I don't remember if the original version signposted so hard that Red was the 'good' choice. Right down to the person shown in the example being your noble commanding officer voiced by Keith David while the blue shows the loving Illusive Man. Which might almost be a clever trick for SLAM BLUE PARAGON types if not for the green 'perfect' choice and the whole everything else in the ending.

Mass Effect owned. In a series of bad times in my life it was there for one of them and it loving ruled. Arguing and losing to Tali and having her commit suicide is probably the most a game made me feel a thing.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah starfield was fine, defs a controversial 7/10 but hoping it gets the c2077 treatment by the first dlc and reworks the skill tree and levelling up

40fps at least would be nice too

Endless dungeon was a disappointment to me especially after dungeon of the endless was so good, was a shame as I was really looking forward to it

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Ryoga posted:

All I can say about the complaints about Starfield's loading screen travel is that if the alternatives are the tedium of No Man's Sky travel or Elite Dangerous travel, then I'll take the Bethesda version every time.

Also Gastronomy earned it's place in my skill set when I defused a shootout by telling all parties to sit down and have a snickers.

There's a decent amount of 'hidden' dialogue options like that in Starfield. Some skills also give more Persuasion options when doing that minigame and others make quests easier to finish (Starship Engineering is one that popped up a few times for me).

So it's worth considering spreading skill points around a bit, even if the skill isn't particular useful at face value.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Any good black friday deals on Series X controllers anywhere?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I mean for what its worth, the game has a trans character who is played by a trans voice actor.

Calling them Sirona Ryan is a bad name choice tho lol

Also while I enjoy No Man's Sky I do not really enjoy the space flight part. Starfield has a wonky method for travel what with it not being exactly clear or fluid, but I also would prefer a lesser amount of things to click through to go to a place than be forced to use space flight. I don't enjoy it, and I never will.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like the space flight of No Man's Sky personally, but it's just preferences on what you prefer.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Seltzer posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1725903188816212263

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I see cheap Xbox controllers on TikTok all the time, $20-35. Anyone know if those are legit?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I see cheap Xbox controllers on TikTok all the time, $20-35. Anyone know if those are legit?

I think barring a one off weird sale, $35 is about as low as it legitimately gets

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Seltzer posted:

stellar shift is the best one currently available.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

ImpAtom posted:

why does it get so much of the attention? very explicitly not using this as a defense of it, but the creative heads behind like any company if a certain size, and for sure the executives, all have skeletons as bad or worse than transphobia in their closet. people hate ABK and Kotick, but any time someone says "Diablo" there aren't a half dozen posts saying to donate to the idk union workers coalition or whatever half a dozen organizations that handle the terrible aspects of their business. what specifically about Hogwarts continues to elicit this? And why not with the other Harry potter games?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Easy target

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Wouldn't mind playing CoD, but I got MW2 and got bored of it. No way I'm shelling out money for a soon-to-be Gamepass game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

harrygomm posted:

why does it get so much of the attention? very explicitly not using this as a defense of it, but the creative heads behind like any company if a certain size, and for sure the executives, all have skeletons as bad or worse than transphobia in their closet. people hate ABK and Kotick, but any time someone says "Diablo" there aren't a half dozen posts saying to donate to the idk union workers coalition or whatever half a dozen organizations that handle the terrible aspects of their business. what specifically about Hogwarts continues to elicit this? And why not with the other Harry potter games?

There are entire threads dedicated to Blizzard stuff.

And as for why Legacy it us the one two punch of it being the first major one after Rowling went full TERF and based around the deeply creepy stereotype that are her version of the Goblins.

Potter is also a way more direct 1 to 1 with Rowling. She literally uses the money to fund anti-trans legislation and views Potter's success as people agreeing with her

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

harrygomm posted:

Just point out the ones who have made themselves, on purpose, the public face of a hate movement and I will be mad about them too. Rowling's transphobia isn't a "skeleton in [her] closet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Imagine making billions of dollars and that is what you decide to do with your time and wealth. I would rather by like George Lucas instead, who spends all of his time at mall food courts, and building affordable housing but for extremely petty reasons; to drive down the property value of his local wealthy neighbors that he doesn't like lol.