Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Matches that end on things that aren’t a finisher are rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

matches don't end on a strong move often enough. or the combo of quick pin off a serious move. in my opinion that's better than roll ups and poo poo where the guy who lost freaks out and goes wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? wuh? for a long time right after the pin. but i don't mind the "hehe i got you" feeling of those.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

quote:

“Wrestling fans have wanted – and needed – something different, authentic and better for far too long. AEW is answering the call. AEW is about more than wrestling. It’s about a movement fueled by wrestling fans who have been underserved and perhaps even disappointed by what the industry has produced in recent years.”

quote:

“I think that if people want to see the sports-based presentation in every match, there’s 33 matches in the Continental Classic, so get ready, strap in, get ready. Every Wednesday and Saturday, the same people who don’t want to see any outside interference – I’m not bullshitting, I’m dead serious – if you don’t want to see any outside interference, if you want to see straight wrestling at its very best in a great field, then put your money where your loving mouth is. Wednesdays and Saturdays, I expect to see you strapped in, because we are going to put on the best wrestling tournament with some great matches.”

2019: Wrestling fans are underserved and need something different.
2023: I announced this tournament on 11 days notice, the prize is some weird midcard title that I can't even properly explain, I won't even tell you who's in it until the day of the tournament, but I'm not gonna stuff the matches to the gills with interference for once so you better loving watch it and stop whining.

Party's over. It was a fun company while it lasted.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Look on the bright side. Now you're all dropping the 18 hours a week of AEW you can make time to watch All Japan Pro Wrestling, the good wrestling company*

*caveat that you maybe either want something interesting to look at on your phone or else not watch live so you can fast forward through the opening few matches which are often instantly forgettable. Or maybe you're a big Yoshitatsu fan, IDK.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I have to agree with whoever it was that said Miro clearly is into angles where his hot and flexible wife is paired up with other guys

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have to agree with whoever it was that said Miro clearly is into angles where his hot and flexible wife is paired up with other guys

Yeah it...looks fuckin weird now

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
*watches a cowboy gargle a a man's blood and then get hanged by a chain outside the ring by him*
hell yeah, gently caress yeah

*some weird slav dude is a cuck*
god dman this is hosed, what the hell

this is me btw

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
It takes all kinds to make a fed

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Part of me is very uncomfortable with Hangman dranking someone else's blood

The other part of me is a massive Warhammer 40k nerd that's going "ok, he's blond, handsome, and strong...he's clearly descended from the primarch Sanguinius"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Lol at the billionaire booker telling fans to put their money where their mouth is on yet another barely defined tournament with no participants. I’ll take you up on that and save the money, I’m okay missing whatever tournament matches you stick the corpse of Matt Hardy in.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJeff posted:

2019: Wrestling fans are underserved and need something different.
2023: I announced this tournament on 11 days notice, the prize is some weird midcard title that I can't even properly explain, I won't even tell you who's in it until the day of the tournament, but I'm not gonna stuff the matches to the gills with interference for once so you better loving watch it and stop whining.

Party's over. It was a fun company while it lasted.

lol the nerve of this mf

I’ve been to 10+ shows including the first Double or Nothing and the first Dynamite, bought every single pape for $50, watched every single week, bought the poo poo game, and bought a stupid amount of action figures. How about you stop making me embarrassed to be a fan?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

lol the nerve of this mf

I’ve been to 10+ shows including the first Double or Nothing and the first Dynamite, bought every single pape for $50, watched every single week, bought the poo poo game, and bought a stupid amount of action figures. How about you stop making me embarrassed to be a fan?

There's a lot to uncover about how awful that comment is but I think this puts it pretty concisely:

https://twitter.com/ThugMcGraw/status/1726143393640640512

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good thread but not going to nod along with any podcast guys, they can all go gently caress their rear end. The problem with the tournament is that he's doing a G1 except without any of the pomp and all the matches are on a Wednesday at 8:30. It's not going to feel special if you don't treat it special. Sorry about your insulted wallets

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the only aew i ever paid for was all in 2023

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

There's a lot to uncover about how awful that comment is but I think this puts it pretty concisely:

https://twitter.com/ThugMcGraw/status/1726143393640640512

exactly Holy poo poo

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Very strong "Fine! You wanted [thing], you got [thing]! Happy now?" energy from TK there

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i'm not sure how you can "put your money where your mouth is" for a tournament that is free

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i actually bought the ppvs like a loving dipshit and thats the end of that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I stopped watching ages ago when it seemed like 60% of the show was either MJF doing his one promo or Punk doing his one promo and then when Punk flared out I considered watching again but now it turns out MJF just expanded like a big dull unwatchable foam mattress?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

At least it's not one of Tony's patented impromptu 3 week "tournaments" consisting of throwing random people together into matches, just to achieve a "reason" for the two finalists to wrestle, instead of you know developing an actual storyline between them. Let's start out Week 1 with Samoa Joe vs Evil Uno, and on the other side Miro vs Matt Sydal. Who's gonna win!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its... not?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ of course not
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ \

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Part of it is life in the way but since my Thursday currently isn't free I've not been watching Dynamite and since the MJF face turn I've not felt compelled at all to try to catch up.

I liked the angle with Adam Cole but I just can't make myself care about face MJF.

A year is too long with the title for anyone, no matter how talented.

And the issue is the rest of the company feels like it's just kinda burning at the altar of MJF being loving everywhere. It probably also hurts that I just don't care about Switchblade or Ospreay. They have great matches but I just don't feel at all invested in anything they're doing or saying.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The surest way to win over new fans and please the existing fans who may be getting dissatisfied with/bored of your current wrestling product, is to basically dare them to watch your upcoming tournament

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

quote:

PWTorch has been told from AEW sourcing not to expect only top-tier talent in the tournament, which is already evident with the announcement of Mark Briscoe as a competitor. The tournament is being constructed with the goal to have good matches and clean finishes, but there will be a mix of main event and non-main event wrestlers in the tournament. As a result, the tournament might not feel truly top tier in terms of being a dream tournament with a mix of exclusively top names with one dream match after another.

There is already concern about wrestlers politicking to Tony Khan with ideas for themselves that could get in the way of a larger vision for the tournament, which is telling certain stories that focus on certain wrestlers while others will be asked to lose clean at key points along the way.

get hype

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I think that Cody was the skeleton key that held everything together. Tony really hosed it up by betting it all on CM punk. Cody is the only person with the savvy to get all these insane pro wrestlers on something resembling the same page so they can create a coherent product

cody not being worth punk money looking like a real poor business decision rn

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just keep bankrolling shot of brandi, TK, dang

what's it cost like a trip to Costco every 2 weeks

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

yea ok posted:

get hype

The G1 has had Fale, Yoshi-Hashi, Chase Owens and a bunch of other stinkers that are not on the level of Mark Briscoe so his inclusion doesn't really concern me, but we'll see if they announce Ryan Nemeth and Serpentico being in the C2 tomorrow.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Let's get our hate home grown. Don't need a podcaster to give me the scoop that the tournament will have job guys, the point of the tournament is for some guys to win and some to lose, and not all of the planned losers want to lose. Definitely don't need them to know the build has been bad.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
The G1's field (at least this year) is 32, though, the C2's is 12. Still, AEW's roster is deep enough that even the established midcarders are good, so I'll wait until after the reveal show tomorrow to complain.

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 21, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Let's get our hate home grown. Don't need a podcaster to give me the scoop that the tournament will have job guys, the point of the tournament is for some guys to win and some to lose, and not all of the planned losers want to lose. Definitely don't need them to know the build has been bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Bluejeans posted:

The G1's field (at least this year) is 32, though, the C1's is 12. Still, AEW's roster is deep enough that even the established midcarders are good, so I'll wait until after the reveal show tomorrow to complain.

This year's G1 was too much. 2 blocks of 10 is plenty

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Every job guy whispering into Tony's ear right now

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
True, but even at 20 you'll get guys who clearly have no chance. 12 is a small enough field that it should feel like everyone at least has an outside shot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Let Tony cook

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Don’t care about this poo poo, tbh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

Don’t care about this poo poo, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The tournament isn't for anything important and mostly just a cudgel to use against the fanbase not into AEW becoming WWE-lite/TNA. Who cares?