Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

hallo spacedog posted:

So my kid just turned 2.5 years old and I'm realizing she hasn't really gained any weight since her 2nd birthday. Should I be concerned about this?

Does she snore, or toss and turn a lot a night? My son had the same thing and had a gasping snore when sleeping. The pediatrician referred us to an Ear Nose Throat doctor who found he has enlarged tonsils that appear to be causing sleep apnea. The disruption to his sleep caused by that inhibits release of growth hormones, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Brawnfire posted:

For some reason my son has decided the floor sweeper is "Mommy's vacuum" and the bigger vacuum cleaner is "Daddy's vacuum" and he becomes extremely vexed if either of us use the "wrong" one.

Not sure where the notion came from, but it's been a fun added challenge!

The actual broom is “my broom” while the toy broom is “dada’s broom.” The big vacuum is “my vacuum” while the small Dustbuster is “dada’s vacuum.”

We’ve read My World enough to know that this is the opposite of how things should be, get with the program!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Does she snore, or toss and turn a lot a night? My son had the same thing and had a gasping snore when sleeping. The pediatrician referred us to an Ear Nose Throat doctor who found he has enlarged tonsils that appear to be causing sleep apnea. The disruption to his sleep caused by that inhibits release of growth hormones, apparently.

She doesn't snore but she has generally been a poor sleeper, however this is slowly changing for the better. That's a little scary though. I did put a message out to my pediatrician to ask if it was unusual so I will bring this thought up when they get back to me.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

You should definitely rule stuff out either way with the pediatrician, but it can be normal. My son gained ~10lbs from age 1.5 until age 6 and about the same in height. Then suddenly from 6 to 6.5 he gained 10lbs and has shot up a couple inches just like that. Some kids just grow in spurts?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

For some reason my son has decided the floor sweeper is "Mommy's vacuum" and the bigger vacuum cleaner is "Daddy's vacuum" and he becomes extremely vexed if either of us use the "wrong" one.

Not sure where the notion came from, but it's been a fun added challenge!

Our regular vacuum is mommy's vacuum and the carpet cleaner is dada's vacuum. He also has his own toy vacuum that actually does vacuum up stuff. Kid loving loves vacuums (and lawn mowers)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
The toddler is always fascinated when I vacuum so I got her that toy dyson that actually vacuums for her birthday and she didn't care. Then she played with some friends' daughter's toy vacuum, so I brought hers back out and now she loves it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Four months and few weeks in and he just started to be able to turn over, so it’s out od the bed and onto the wider plains (of a gummy mat on the floor).

Every few days the poop won’t come out on time and it’s a house-wide cheer-a-thon for it to come out as he wiggles and is deeply unhappy throughout the day, right as I’m trying to concentrate on a last minute work thing and mom’s away. It’s laughter time when the butt uncorks though, so worth it!

We’re also now getting 6-7 hours of straight sleep at night, which, oh god, is so great. Still short, but so much better.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jose Valasquez posted:

Our regular vacuum is mommy's vacuum and the carpet cleaner is dada's vacuum. He also has his own toy vacuum that actually does vacuum up stuff. Kid loving loves vacuums (and lawn mowers)

Holy poo poo, my kid loves lawn mowers too! We used to go for these crazy long walks with his lawn mower to the point that we're captured on google maps forever while taking one.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Brawnfire posted:

Holy poo poo, my kid loves lawn mowers too! We used to go for these crazy long walks with his lawn mower to the point that we're captured on google maps forever while taking one.

We did that too, the little plastic wheels were so bald. Never immortalized by Google unfortunately.

Lawn mower got banished to the garage after too many consecutive nights of indoor lawn mowering and trying to run over the poor dogs with it.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

...but my 13mo son basically only gives a poo poo about cars and trucks and nothing else....His favorite words include cars and vroom.

My nearly 2 year old daughter, except trucks instead of cars, and we're still working on our "tr" pronunciation where "f" is apparently easier, and we were walking outside our house and she sees a truck and screams "FUCKIN' VROOM VROOM! FUCKIN' VROOM VROOM!!!"

Then I waved at my neighbour who was in his front garden hearing everything and took her inside.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 21, 2023

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Five-year-old running to the bathroom: I've gotta go poop! See you in one hour.

Someday that may very well be true, kid. Just you wait.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

My nearly 2 year old daughter, except trucks instead of cars, and we're still working on our "tr" pronunciation where "f" is apparently easier, and we were walking outside our house and she sees a truck and screams "FUCKIN' VROOM VROOM! FUCKIN' VROOM VROOM!!!"

Then I waved at my neighbour who was in his front garden hearing everything and took her inside.

Haha, that is amazing. It captures her passion well.

I was grouping trucks in with cars, but he is equally obsessed. He has a cozy truck, and is obsessed with his grandpa's truck. He will just sit in his cozy truck and wait for someone to push him, but he will also just hang out in there quietly for a bizarre amount of time. But for some reason he's started calling trucks "dada". He does not have a father, so I guess that's a fair replacement.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Tamarillo posted:

The pronunciation struggle is real: my just-turned-2 daughter is really into utensils and working on her 'r's so we've had multiple times where we've put her in a high chair at a restaurant and she starts excitedly yelling "fawk! fawk! fawk!" which gets some looks.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

The toddler loves to wear cocks on her feet.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I live in Japan and my wife is Japanese, so my 2 year old speaks a mix of the languages. It's kind of 50/50 whether or not she latches onto the English or Japanese word for certain things. A lot of Japanese words are borrowed from English, though, which helps her out... unless the term borrowed from English is something that nobody actually says in English, which can be very funny sometimes.

The Japanese word for "stroller" is "baby car", so whenever my daughter sees a baby in a stroller she loudly yells "There's a baby in a baby car!".

Another funny one happened when she pointed at an electric outlet and proudly told me "Don't touch the consent. It's dangerous." while nodding her head. The Japanese word is "konsento", from "concentric", back when plugs used to be round.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Emily Spinach posted:

The toddler loves to wear cocks on her feet.

when we drive past transport trucks on our way to daycare I get excitedly informed "daddy big cuck! big cuck!"

rude rear end kid

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Spoggerific posted:

unless the term borrowed from English is something that nobody actually says in English, which can be very funny sometimes.
I didn't realize Japanese and Pittsburghese has that much in common.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The gently caress am I supposed to do with this 4 year old in my house for the next 5 full days?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

nachos posted:

The gently caress am I supposed to do with this 4 year old in my house for the next 5 full days?

We are at grandmas and have given our ten month old access to the Tupperware cabinet. It is entertaining watching her take all of it out, climb all the way in to get the stuff at the back, put stuff she doesn’t want back in, etc.

Also thanks grandma for keeping the 30 year old baby toys, she is loving pulling the cricket around

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

nachos posted:

*Administrator at preschool, smirkingly* "Looking forward to the break? It's a nice long one"

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

3 year old got his tonsils out yesterday so this is already the worst Thanksgiving break yet and it’s not even Thanksgiving break yet.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

"Alexa? POOP"

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

nachos posted:

At our house, the answer to that question is apparently "sit around the living room sharing a nice family case of strep throat".

It's okay, I didn't really care about seeing my long-separated friends and loved ones tomorrow anyway I guess.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"I lost my voice yesterday and couldn't talk. My bones got all mixed up and my calories went away. But now my calories are back and I can talk again."

Also, I have been asked to play a game of Bat-tiki, which apparently involves making clay bats and ghosts and shouting "BOO" as we throw them at each other. We need to get them at the Bat-tiki store, which is of course a place that exists. I got her to agree that playdough and halloween cookie cutters are the same thing, at least.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Toddler saw the cat using the litter box and is potty training so she decided to use the litter box too. Good job on technically using a toilet lil dudette? :catstare:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Rabidbunnylover posted:

"fawk! fawk! fawk!"
This is how we actually pronounce fork where I am so maybe she's just on the wrong landmass

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

My kid (2 year old) somehow picked up on my whispered “gently caress” when I drop something and now she does it. I’m in deep poo poo tomorrow when the in-laws visit.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

How the gently caress am I going to make it until school on Monday

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I am desperately in need of advice.

It's 1130 pm on Thanksgiving. Literally nothing is open in my small town.

My daughter has the stomach flu and can't sleep because she's crying in pain because of stomach cramps and discomfort. Of course we don't have any children's medicine in the house, because why would we have a silly thing like that when we need it? She's already thrown up once and I feel more is on the way.

Are there any natural remedies I can use to ease her discomfort somewhat until Walgreens opens in the morning? I tried gently rubbing her tummy but that's not working. I'm encouraging her to drink room temperature water (little sips), and I've got a heating pad I could possibly use, if a warm compress would help.

She's 8. It breaks my heart, and it's gonna be a long night. Any advice is much appreciated.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Natural remedies - I haven't a clue. For gastroenteritis, I can't say I've ever treated it effectively with medicine(once they are puking). Once the vomiting starts, we just do small amounts of water until we can keep something down. Often this is half a day or so. It sucks but at least it's usually over pretty quick.

Basically it sucks, but by the time you can buy meds, kiddo should be able to keep it down?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
If you have rice and a pillowcase and a microwave, you can make a heat pack.

Fill the pillow case with a heap of rice and knot it closed.

Microwave it with a glass of water (as in, water in a glass) for 2 minutes, check the temp and microwave in minute increments until it's hot but not burning. Be careful as you may not realise how hot it is until it's been in place for a bit.

Apply to stomach. Reheat as necessary. Should ease cramping and reduce nausea.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

extravadanza posted:

Natural remedies - I haven't a clue. For gastroenteritis, I can't say I've ever treated it effectively with medicine(once they are puking). Once the vomiting starts, we just do small amounts of water until we can keep something down. Often this is half a day or so. It sucks but at least it's usually over pretty quick.

Basically it sucks, but by the time you can buy meds, kiddo should be able to keep it down?

She finally fell asleep. Hopefully this is just one of those 24 hour bugs. I've had gastroenteritis that's lasted for several days before.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

I live in Japan and my wife is Japanese, so my 2 year old speaks a mix of the languages. It's kind of 50/50 whether or not she latches onto the English or Japanese word for certain things.

This is just ahead of where I am to a T. Little Ms 1.75 is getting a good grasp of “papa yada” at the moment though :v:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The funny thing about our almost-2yo being raised multi-lingually it's that while she picks one word for a specific thing, she also knows the word in another language. So when I say that I will give her some bread (in languge A), she then excitedly yells "bread!" in language B.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I am a little concerned with Baby Gout. They get exposure to alot more Chinese at daycare, in the real world, but almost all of their vocabulary is English right now, when I'm the only one really using English with him. Except for cartoons, those are in English.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I am desperately in need of advice.

Fluids of course are great (with electrolytes too). Overall for stomach paints there are a lot of herbal options - ginger or chamomile or licorice or or peppermint or mint tea can all help.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

She finally fell asleep. Hopefully this is just one of those 24 hour bugs. I've had gastroenteritis that's lasted for several days before.

I'm late but ginger ale / ginger tea is a natural thing for tummy distress. Hope your daughter is feeling better!

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
We're still considering daycares, and I'm really wanting to send my 14mos son to a part-time Spanish immersion school in a few months. But beyond scheduling issues, his current caregiver/grandmother is worried how he'll adapt to both preschool and full Spanish language schooling at the same time. Because she takes him to Spanish storytime and reads to him a little in Spanish (she's fully bilingual), but we're not consistently speaking Spanish to him and it's mostly just her. My wife and I both know conversational basic Spanish, but just don't speak it in front of him right now.

Also, he keeps crying every time I read to him in Spanish, but I think only when I do it? So maybe my Spanish is just that bad. So that might be an obstacle.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 24, 2023

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I thought we'd avoided cocomelon, but the toddler was playing with the remote while the tv was on the YouTube kids app, found one of their videos on a channel I hadn't managed to block, and she recognized it by name and got upset when I tried to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

External Organs posted:

I'm late but ginger ale / ginger tea is a natural thing for tummy distress. Hope your daughter is feeling better!

Crystallized ginger is also very good to keep around for this sort of situation