Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/System_erasure/status/1727044185075888370

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Thank you, I would have missed this. Time to throw all my money at it

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
listening to the void stranger soundtrack while practicing another game but pausing and putting my headphones in when voided comes up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

awww yeah, time t-

nrook posted:

listening to the void stranger soundtrack while practicing another game but pausing and putting my headphones in when voided comes up
yeah, that :v:

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

massive spoilers below

it took me 43 hours, but i think i've finally gotten nearly everything out of this game, aside from crazy poo poo like seeing all the freaky random spawn creatures that, from skimming this thread, are apparently tied to save-persistent karma values. the white orbs also, saw 3 of em.

i accidentally stumbled into several mechanics very early on... like the cif statues that reset the run. as soon as i realized you could move stairs, i became convinced placing the stairs in certain spots of the map would be one of the "shortcuts" mentioned by mon, and so i accidentally discovered the reset. took me like 30 hours to realize the bee statues did anything though. this, plus an overwhelming obsession with figuring out what the gently caress was going on, refusing to stay voided (aware of the cif statues, i'd just use them to restart as soon as possible), and taking every possible opportunity to try and "break" the game (mostly status bar fuckery)...... somehow, aside from the "give up" ending which imo barely counts as an ending, i managed to get the DIS ending as my first ending.... which made absolutely zero loving sense without the context of the other endings the game expects you to reach first. i spent over an hour furiously trying every possible statue order in that one DIS room where you have to knock them over in order because at that point there was zero chance of me giving up and starting over again. having never played or even been aware of zero ranger prior to playing this game, the shmup section was a real WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING?!!!?? moment.... well, really, the Cif fight was that too i guess. i dunno if you can beat Cif by wailing on her, but i certainly loving tried. i got up to 22 hits before accidentally realizing the actual answer to the fight lol

this has got to be my GOTY and it isn't even close, despite all the bangers that have released in 2023

it's not even close.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
lmao that's awesome

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Zoya posted:

massive spoilers below

it took me 43 hours, but i think i've finally gotten nearly everything out of this game, aside from crazy poo poo like seeing all the freaky random spawn creatures that, from skimming this thread, are apparently tied to save-persistent karma values. the white orbs also, saw 3 of em.

i accidentally stumbled into several mechanics very early on... like the cif statues that reset the run. as soon as i realized you could move stairs, i became convinced placing the stairs in certain spots of the map would be one of the "shortcuts" mentioned by mon, and so i accidentally discovered the reset. took me like 30 hours to realize the bee statues did anything though. this, plus an overwhelming obsession with figuring out what the gently caress was going on, refusing to stay voided (aware of the cif statues, i'd just use them to restart as soon as possible), and taking every possible opportunity to try and "break" the game (mostly status bar fuckery)...... somehow, aside from the "give up" ending which imo barely counts as an ending, i managed to get the DIS ending as my first ending.... which made absolutely zero loving sense without the context of the other endings the game expects you to reach first. i spent over an hour furiously trying every possible statue order in that one DIS room where you have to knock them over in order because at that point there was zero chance of me giving up and starting over again. having never played or even been aware of zero ranger prior to playing this game, the shmup section was a real WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING?!!!?? moment.... well, really, the Cif fight was that too i guess. i dunno if you can beat Cif by wailing on her, but i certainly loving tried. i got up to 22 hits before accidentally realizing the actual answer to the fight lol

this has got to be my GOTY and it isn't even close, despite all the bangers that have released in 2023

it's not even close.

Did you never talk to uhh... big head without the sword? In my first playthrough getting to her exhausting dialogue with her gave a semi-tutorial for the bee statues, includeing a free locust if you ran out

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Residual Toast posted:

Did you never talk to uhh... big head without the sword? In my first playthrough getting to her exhausting dialogue with her gave a semi-tutorial for the bee statues, includeing a free locust if you ran out

Gor! nope, guess not lmao, i always had it when i met her

there's a few other NPC interactions i've probably missed, but nothing earth-shattering, i think... ...AND THE INTERACTION I REALLY WANT JUST DOESNT EXIST WHY SYSTEMERASURE WHY WONT YOU LET ME SAVE NINNIE :cry:

getting into zeroranger now cuz of the void this game has left in me and it's very good too! good dev! good poo poo! i'll probably happily, instantly devour anything they release in the future based on these two games :hmmyes:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think void stranger isnt just the best game of 2023 I think it's the best thing of 2023. Its crazy to me with how much appetite there is for media in general that this amazing thing is only enjoyed by an elect of a few tens of thousands.

My favorite part of the game happens early on tho when you hit the difficulty spike at around floor 62 with this music playing for a few hours: https://youtu.be/ihlhrZcsCOY?si=Yw1zBkOD2hFp9LNg

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

No Wave posted:

I think void stranger isnt just the best game of 2023 I think it's the best thing of 2023. Its crazy to me with how much appetite there is for media in general that this amazing thing is only enjoyed by an elect of a few tens of thousands.
Really couldn't agree more. Not sure if it would look quite the same, but I wonder if this game will have a Hollow Knight-style delayed surge in popularity at some point. I imagine it would remain a cult classic but it seems like even people into indie games are still sleeping on it.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Idioteque Dance posted:

Really couldn't agree more. Not sure if it would look quite the same, but I wonder if this game will have a Hollow Knight-style delayed surge in popularity at some point. I imagine it would remain a cult classic but it seems like even people into indie games are still sleeping on it.

It's a pretty slow burn to start getting exceptional, and the second to second base gameplay for potentially the first like many hours of sokobannery with a tile swap isn't as compelling in the hands, and almost burnt me out especially with the first cif statue wipe at a high level. The memory sequences are somewhat compelling but i can see a lot of people fading out before it gets good. And even when it gets good, I spent a good amount of the game with a guide open to bypass levels i'd already beaten and there's a lot of repetition as you explore.

Also there's just a really whole lot of endgame as well, which is neat and compelling but also daunting.

So I guess I'll say we'll see.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Zoya posted:

getting into zeroranger now cuz of the void this game has left in me and it's very good too! good dev! good poo poo! i'll probably happily, instantly devour anything they release in the future based on these two games :hmmyes:

update: zero ranger goes really hard

also, zero ranger is really hard

:smithfrog:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zoya posted:

update: zero ranger goes really hard

also, zero ranger is really hard

:smithfrog:
It's worth it I promise. I don't care for the general gameplay that that much but the last 20% is absolutely insane.

If you're getting walled at stage 4 it's a very hard part of the game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im not good at shmups so I already put zero ranger down buuut what I played was good and I could tell things clearly weren't what they seemed. Looking forward to whatever this developer does next.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

No Wave posted:

It's worth it I promise. I don't care for the general gameplay that that much but the last 20% is absolutely insane.

If you're getting walled at stage 4 it's a very hard part of the game.

i was getting walled by 2-4, but i finally did it

what the gently caress lmao

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How long is this game? I understand there's stuff to encourage replaying it but I just mean like, going through an initial run, how many floors are there? I'm around floor B150 and the game hasn't really clicked for me - it's not bad but it's a far cry from exceptional for me so far and I don't know how many floors I have in me if something doesn't happen to really flip a switch for me. I've been keeping an irl journal where I wrote down the various murals but I haven't really seen anything to do with that info yet.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's about 225 floors in your first run. 256 if you've been especially dilligent

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I have about 40 hours. If you haven't figured out what to do with the murals yet I would keep playing, once you figure out what to do with them the game will recontextualize itself a bit and then probably keep doing that at an increasingly more rapid rate until you finish with it.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I get how if you approach this game with the right mindset it's something special, and I'm kinda bummed that wasn't my experience.

I did a straightforward voided playthrough without uncovering a single secret, and figured the next step in progression was to reach the end unvoided. I made it maybe halfway through before I died, got frustrated, and spoiled myself on the murals.

I started solving them in order, started having fun again and feeling like I was making progress, got to the snake one, actually put some decent effort into trying to solve it, eventually looked up the solution, and noped out of the game forever.

I honestly don't even think the game did anything wrong (except maybe give me a teleport instead of making me redo all the levels a million times goddamn), I feel like I just don't have the patience for puzzle games like this.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The game takes a lot of risks in letting you stumble upon stuff by yourself which is, like, some life-changing puzzle gaming if you hit that sweet spot of (what I think is) intended progression experience, but I can totally see how it falls flat if you don't.

For example there are several ways to teleport and skip floors. When you figure that out it's amazing but if you do a whole second run without it (and I don't blame you, there's a lot going on to keep track of) that's a downer

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Yeah that's a great way to put it - if you hold the player's hand more, it reduces the risk of a bad playthrough, but then you lose some of the joy of discovery.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

There are definitely a few things that you might just miss. I missed a bunch. You can look up spoilers or ask ITT and we'll do our best to give you enough info so that you don't miss a thing, but not so much that it ruins the discovery. There is one in particular that is just kind of bullshit and the only reasonable answer for humans is to look at a jpg that someone else made of it (the one Edly posted about in their spoiler).

At your current point of progression there isn't really a way to talk about it without ruining several other surprises. If you just play through a single time and get to the end, I think that'll be fairly satisfying by itself, it's a good game. Second time through would be a good time to start asking here or looking up spoilers.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
For what it’s worth, the snake mural puzzle you noped out after is largely a consensus “worst puzzle in the game” and absolutely nobody should feel bad about looking for hints or a solution on that one.
Especially if, like me, you play the game on Steam Deck

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I wish I could like this game, but the moment-to-moment Sokoban gameplay is hostile to my entire being. The music, art, vibes, and unique storytelling all seem very cool, but boy are tile puzzles not my cup of tea. I can take about 15 minutes of it before I start feeling drained.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I feel distraught. I finished all three character's stories. I re-explore the tower multiple times looking for clues, which by the way takes loving forever. Out of desperation looking for the last two brands , I printscreen every screen in the second area, and paste them in a giant paint file. I can get some of the snake pieces to connect, but none of the other screens do in a convincing way. So I break my spoilerless playthrough and what do I find? It's the right loving track, but some of the screens are diagonal from each other! Game couldn't use one of the two rocks to clue this, really? My expectation when someone says snake is a contiguous set of cells, not a janky-rear end 'guess where the snake goes diagonal' bullshit.

I don't know. I don't want to look at further spoilers but if the postgame is this bad I might have to.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

scaterry posted:

I feel distraught. I finished all three character's stories. I re-explore the tower multiple times looking for clues, which by the way takes loving forever. Out of desperation looking for the last two brands , I printscreen every screen in the second area, and paste them in a giant paint file. I can get some of the snake pieces to connect, but none of the other screens do in a convincing way. So I break my spoilerless playthrough and what do I find? It's the right loving track, but some of the screens are diagonal from each other! Game couldn't use one of the two rocks to clue this, really? My expectation when someone says snake is a contiguous set of cells, not a janky-rear end 'guess where the snake goes diagonal' bullshit.

I don't know. I don't want to look at further spoilers but if the postgame is this bad I might have to.
nah that puzzle just kinda sucks real bad:

Tortolia posted:

For what it’s worth, the snake mural puzzle you noped out after is largely a consensus “worst puzzle in the game” and absolutely nobody should feel bad about looking for hints or a solution on that one.
Especially if, like me, you play the game on Steam Deck

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

for what it's worth there's only one puzzle i can think of in postgame that's similarly :what:, though it's at least not as egregiously misleading as the aforementioned. all the rest i can remember are much more in-line with the rest of the game

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
That’s good to know, haha. I love the game, I have been playing it for a week nonstop. Usually I can sleep on a frustrating puzzle and figure it out the next day, but this one made me question whether it was worth it to continue playing.

Ciaphas posted:

for what it's worth there's only one puzzle i can think of in postgame that's similarly :what:, though it's at least not as egregiously misleading as the aforementioned. all the rest i can remember are much more in-line with the rest of the game

What’s the other one?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I guess the push the statues into the abyss in this specific order one, but at least that one had normal logic you could deduce

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I disagree, that one isn't bad at all at that point in the game if you've been taking notes or paying attention.

Now, pause the game to move the statue on the other hand...

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zodack posted:

I disagree, that one isn't bad at all at that point in the game if you've been taking notes or paying attention.

If you bug the rock a few times it tells you your color palette is bothering its eyes, thus you can infer that you should change it, thus fulfilling the criteria for the gimmick.

By that point in the game repeatedly harassing something that changes dialogue after your first time speaking to it is generally established as a reasonable idea, so it’s not overly difficult to stumble into it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I must not have hit the right number of asks then, I spoke to it more than once but not in a row or without moving a few times. I didn't catalog rocks as the same kind of dialogue-giver as NPCs in my mind, so that's on me, I guess

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can see how folks would miss that one, so it’s reasonable to run into that issue, just a matter of personal approach.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Zodack posted:

I must not have hit the right number of asks then, I spoke to it more than once but not in a row or without moving a few times. I didn't catalog rocks as the same kind of dialogue-giver as NPCs in my mind, so that's on me, I guess

I forget where but someone tells you that lone rocks in a level are the only ones worth talking to/have multiple dialogue potential I think

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i could have sworn that particular rock does the cardinal gaming sin where it repeats more than three times before it changes its dialogue, not that i'm counting that as a sin against it because that's sort of the point.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Zodack posted:

How were you supposed to figure that one out? Or is just talking to the rock over and over the actual first step?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

IIRC the puzzle is kind of obviously unsolvable. Talking to the rock is one of the only things you can do that isn't dying on purpose.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zodack posted:

yeah this was the other one I referred to that got my goat

i don't remember if i failed to get the right inference from the hints or if i forgot to ask for the hints outright though

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 31, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it makes me real sad that i can't really play games like this and Outer Wilds again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

12 rats tied together posted:

IIRC the puzzle is kind of obviously unsolvable. Talking to the rock is one of the only things you can do that isn't dying on purpose.
In that case it's kind of an unsatisfying puzzle, though in the grand scheme of things having two duds (including the snake puzzle here) in an otherwise stellar game is no big deal imo