Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
XBC2 isn't the worst game I have ever played but it is for sure the most outright annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It was basically "nothing" which is fine on its own but the way it was played up by Ubisoft and people in general is what made it super bad. Like you just did a sidequest and could do some flirty dialogue and then never saw the NPC again after the fade to black. It wasn't anything as involved as even like a Bioware romance.

Of course the DLC threw a wrench in all this and made it even worse lol

Oddly the one thing Valhalla was actually better at since you get a couple of actual romances. They're still pretty perfunctory but more on the BioWare side than 'okay lets gently caress' and you never see them again.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't have much experience with fade to black loving but i like the prostitute in bg3 who will wearily roleplay as drizzt or dump a tub of spiders on the bed

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

if this pattern continues then sales for ff21 are gonna blow the roof off

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I played XB2 well after everyone else did with absolutely no knowledge or preconceptions about it and got to make up my own mind.

It's not great.

(Curiously, many of the issues I have with it are not the commonly held ones!)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apart from the skeleton crew Monolith had, wasn't XC2 made in a short space of time for such a giant RPG?

They used multiple guest artists with little coordination, which explains why so many blades (guest party members) are hot ladies who belong in completely different animes.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 21, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

theshim posted:

I played XB2 well after everyone else did with absolutely no knowledge or preconceptions about it and got to make up my own mind.

It's not great.

(Curiously, many of the issues I have with it are not the commonly held ones!)

Conversely, I played it well after everyone else did with no real knowledge about the series beyond memes and people talking about how XB2 was an awful mess and ended up enjoying myself immensely.

I even still like XB2 more than XB3, though there's absolutely no argument that XB3 is a more polished and finished game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
XC2 got Kia Asamiya in so that's good

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If Xenoblade 4 is just Future Redeemed only bigger, it would be the best in the series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finally started octopath 2 and picked throne as my first character, and while her opening chapter was utter schlock I’m tickled by the contrast of running into agnea right afterward

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hikari's opening is like, entirely predictable and kinda melodramatic but I was nodding along with it the entire time so it's great

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i just learned of the existence of nightmare of druaga and am now immediately going to play it because drat, this game has a look

i had no idea anyone made a proper 3D console roguelike during this era (discounting FFX-2 Last Mission, anyway)

and what's even crazier is that apparently namco thought this would sell enough in other territories that they actually localised it!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Does the baroque remake count :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Kanos posted:

Conversely, I played it well after everyone else did with no real knowledge about the series beyond memes and people talking about how XB2 was an awful mess and ended up enjoying myself immensely.

I even still like XB2 more than XB3, though there's absolutely no argument that XB3 is a more polished and finished game.
Honestly, while I had a pretty decent time playing through it, the longer I get from actually playing XB2 the less charitable I am towards it, to the point that it's actively making me worry if I will even enjoy XB3 when I finally get around to it :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It depends on what you dislike about XB2 but XB3 does away with all the gatcha stuff which alone is such a massive improvement over XB2 it isn't even funny

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Does the baroque remake count :v:
isn't that like 2008?

you know what, yeah it counts, we can't be discounting the very few examples of this that actually exist lol

theshim
May 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on what you dislike about XB2 but XB3 does away with all the gatcha stuff which alone is such a massive improvement over XB2 it isn't even funny
The gacha was one of the common complaints that I did not care about at all, actually! I have no compulsion to 100% games (and no real desire to replay XB2) so it didn't matter much to me that I wouldn't be seeing some of the unique Blades.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

theshim posted:

The gacha was one of the common complaints that I did not care about at all, actually! I have no compulsion to 100% games (and no real desire to replay XB2) so it didn't matter much to me that I wouldn't be seeing some of the unique Blades.

I found the gacha and skill check combo annoying

I don’t think the skill checks actually hid that much, but it wasn’t a good feeling if you’d have to shuffle stuff or flat out couldn’t do it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theshim posted:

It's not about 100% so much as it is that it makes the exploration and battle design feel awkward and scattershot. XB3 is much more tightly designed because it knows the tools you have (more or less) at any given time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

does your luck improve dramatically later on, cause I barely saw any unique Blades 40 or 50 hours into the game?

I liked XB2 for all its faults, but I didn't have the patience or time to finish it.

And I actually grew to sorta appreciate how poorly it explained itself. Cause it meant I was learning things and having lightbulbs moments throughout the (extensive) playtime. Like the mechanics of the game were this big jigsaw you were meant to slowly pick at, not crack in an evening. (Or I'm just thick).

theshim
May 1, 2012

Skill checks were a minor irritant at most to me, there were like two that I actually had to swap things around for that I remember.

The battle system was basically mindless once you figured out one or two tricks like attack canceling and everything got unlocked. Yes, it got a bunch better later on, but I'm not gonna hold that against a game that you start out with a more limited toolset and it expands as you progress, that's perfectly defensible design IMO.

Most of my problems ended up being with the plot, the characters, the designs, and the retcons.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

XB2 has a great like last 25%. Makes me think highly of it looking back despite a lot of it being pretty middling just because of that final stretch.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Liking Xenoblade 2 more than Xenoblade 3 is some psycho poo poo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanos posted:

XB2 really is the proper heir to Xenogears and Xenosaga.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have XB2 and I want to give it a spin but I ran out of steam with XB1 and never finished it, is it pretty essential to play that one first?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Having not played XB1, it didn’t feel that way. (But I didn’t finish XB2)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Amppelix posted:

isn't that like 2008?

you know what, yeah it counts, we can't be discounting the very few examples of this that actually exist lol

They put Shiren 3 out in English, also in 2008.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Meowywitch posted:

Liking Xenoblade 2 more than Xenoblade 3 is some psycho poo poo

then call me the freaking joker

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

then call me the freaking joker

No that is Persona 5

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You should absolutely finish 1 before playing 2 imo.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Now that I’m almost done with the SO2 remake, I definitely agree with reviews saying that the original soundtrack was better. Otherwise the remake is significantly better than the original. While I do miss the morphing animation for item creation, being able to mass produce items in seconds is a worthwhile trade off.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
XB2 has Nia in it so it is a good game. :catte:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Amppelix posted:

isn't that like 2008?

2007 in japan at least!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They used multiple guest artists with little coordination, which explains why so many blades (guest party members) are hot ladies who belong in completely different animes.
That wasn't a mistake, that was on purpose. They wanted the blades to all feel like a random grabbag of various things.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
SMRPG remake "super bosses" were not hard for the most part. Mostly just some gimmicks, spoilers below for the fights.

Jinx Rematch: All you have to do is hit him with a Triple Attack but he drains your meter to 0. Just time your attacks and blocks and then use the Triple Attack to win.

Belome Rematch: He uses a bunch of sleep attacks and any clones he makes will block attacks directed towards him. Block sleep attacks and kill clones quickly, otherwise not a hard fight.

Punchinello Rematch: His def is super high, hit the bombs facing you to turn them around to face him. They will then explode in his face instead of yours.

Booster Rematch: He will be working on his train and if he completes repairs he will hit the party for 9999 damage. Have someone hit him with a timed attack to stop the repairs and someone else to do group attacks. Mario/Geno/Peach works great here.

Bundt Rematch: Another instant kill 9999 attack battle. You can put the Tortes asleep so they won't light the candles and then focus down the cake with physical attacks. Mario/Geno/Peach works great here as well.

Johnny Rematch: 1v1 with Mario, give him both Lazy Shell weapon and armor and time your blocks. You can't use items, but Johnny won't do much damage to you as long as you can time your blocks. Not too hard.

Culex Rematch: Now he has stronger attacks and more hp along with all of the crystals. Mostly about keeping everyone up among the barrage of attacks. Mario/Geno/Peach works great here again as their Triple Attack can block his countdown party attack. You can also block his countdown single attack. You might want some Red Essences and Croaka Colas as back up but it's mostly just staying alive and taking down the crystals using their weaknesses.

I wouldn't bother Thought Peeking for the entries, just buy them for 3 frog coins each.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They are pretty hard if you're bad at timed hits. Jinx has an additional gimmick where he counters any failed action command with an instakill and Puchinello's bombs only turn around if you do a perfectly timed normal attack from what I can tell.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

That wasn't a mistake, that was on purpose. They wanted the blades to all feel like a random grabbag of various things.

They did say the gender ratio being skewed was the result of generally giving the designers free reign, but yeah if you get a bunch of guest artists for a project it's because you actively want a bunch of stylistically varied designs. By comparison XB3 had saitom do the central characters and everyone else was by indirectly credited in-house staff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I never got used to the clash of artstyles, which went beyond the blades. Nomura's work was great but his characters looked like they were ripped out of another game.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

buddychrist10 posted:

I had similar reservations on Elise but she's grown on me quite quickly. Most of her abrasiveness seems to be an act she puts on that doesn't match up with her actions.

(Minor day 1 and early day 2 spoilers) She immediately feels like she overreacted and regrets her initial treatment of Rozenmarie. I was pretty thorough in my initial exploration, and it reveals she has a pretty good relationship with most of the townsfolk outside of the ones who suck. In particular the old man who accuses her at the start of day two is not well like by most of the town.
Just wanted to say thank you for this post! I do not regret giving Little Goody Two Shoes a second try. It's been quite fun, and I'm glad you told me about what the stuff that recontextualizes what I saw in the intro.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone hear anything about this or try it out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0BKmgKen4

I saw an RPG Site review about In Stars and Time. The author seemed pretty positive, they really enjoyed the writing/characters and found the rock paper scissors triangle made for a fairly engaging combat system. I am probably going to skip on it because I am more interested in seeing what Loop Hero has to say about the main theme, but it definitely looks like a pretty cool indie RPG!
https://www.rpgsite.net/review/15135-in-stars-time-review

Tired Moritz posted:

I was gonna ask why people dislike FF16 (I don't have a PS5) but it feels... risky
1. Did not like how it used most of the female characters. Especially Jill, who gets damseled several different obnoxious ways. They don't even let her join in the battle with the final boss, I believe, though I dropped the game before I played all the way through.
2. The way the world contorted around making Clive an uncomplicated hero boy who basically never got his hands dirty. I'm thinking of some quests in Sanbreque in particular, but there are plenty of bits of frustrating writing.
3. Unsatisfying antagonists. I'm not as down on Ultima and Anabella as some, but I do find them both very boring. And I do have plenty of issues with Kupka, but there's a decent chance I would have swept away all of them if he was a moogle instead.
4. Combat got pretty dull and samey after a while.
5. Far, far too little in the way of weird minigames and comic relief.
6. Didn't get much of a wow from the music. Definitely a shame, since I really like a lot of the FF14 soundtrack, and I was hoping that FF16 would deliver plenty of stuff I'd like just as much.
7. The game had sprawling open areas to explore, but little reward for actually wandering around exploring them.

If you are curious about FF16, I could link you to some articles/deep dive podcasts I quite liked, but it has been long enough that I would need a bit of digging to re-find them... I think this ep of Abnormal Mapping was probably the most entertaining/insightful
https://cohost.org/em-being/post/2174338-abnormal-mapping-147

Kuros posted:

SMRPG remake "super bosses" were not hard for the most part. Mostly just some gimmicks, spoilers below for the fights.

That's a bit of a shame. I do appreciate the visual aid they provided for the Yoshi race, though. Still jank, but it was immensely less frustrating having another way to understand the beat they want you to follow.

Maybe about 1/3 of the way through Mario RPG Remake myself, and there's definitely some fun nostalgia, but I am having a pretty interesting time contrasting it with Another Crusade. The amount of friction I face progressing in that has made me a lot more engaged with the world and systems (even now that I'm playing Easy mode). I remembered the boss fights being more memorable and formidable in original Mario RPG, even forcing me to grind a little... I'm not sure if I have a strong preference either way, but I do feel that I care more about Another Crusade's combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

avoraciopoctules posted:

If you are curious about FF16, I could link you to some articles/deep dive podcasts I quite liked

please don't