Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Between TX district courts and stacked circuit courts this may be going to the supreme court.

Nah this is a really, really bad filing that outright admits what media matters claimed. Probably gets shoved under a couch and/or media matters gets it punted over to California or even DC pretty quickly.

Edit: also easily disprovable

https://twitter.com/Avi_Bueno/status/1726762807968878990?t=g5Skoilzx5c1WG0N5Zj-6Q&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Grip it and rip it posted:

Wouldn't that level of personalization suggest that those individuals are being targeted by somebody they know? The efficacy of large scale phishing campaigns or redirects or whatever seem to rely on the fact that many people use certain sites and could expect an invoice from apple/amazon/whoever based on their recent activity. Getting enough information to specifically suggest that somebody is at the local jail / garage and needs money for their ${carMakeandModel} or whatever would suggest a level of granularity that should be hard to maintain

Nah that stuff is easily guessable by purchasing cheap market research data and ad data. Like its "anonymized" but its not to hard to get some basic stuff nailed down so you can start sorting some of the more specific data buckets to find easy marks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Nah this is a really, really bad filing that outright admits what media matters claimed. Probably gets shoved under a couch and/or media matters gets it punted over to California or even DC pretty quickly.

https://twitter.com/Avi_Bueno/status/1726762807968878990?t=g5Skoilzx5c1WG0N5Zj-6Q&s=19

I tried this and got nothing. Doesn't mean it's debunked, just that someone at twitter flipped a switch.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It’s the racism knob meme in reverse.

Hmm, troubling.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

I tried this and got nothing. Doesn't mean it's debunked, just that someone at twitter flipped a switch.

That may be what they did:

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1726805783197975035?s=20

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him worse than he was. Louder, stupider, angrier. The $44 billion ManChild.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

A motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction or to transfer venue to either federal court in San Francisco or DC will be the first thing filed. This preserves their ability to dismiss on other grounds as well, but it would be step one. I think media matters would rather it be transferred to NDCA. Twitter's TOS is explicit that for any cause of action between parties using the site that state or federal court in San Francisco is the proper venue with exceptions for various federal/government agencies. Even if they can argue that the TOS isn't binding, there is zero connection between either plaintiff or defendant in the NDTX to establish personal jurisdiction. It would throw centuries of court process on it's head to rule that just because something is relating to an internet post that federal courts have personal jurisdiction over people who have no connection to their district. Even if a crackpot in Amarillo rules that he has personal jurisdiction over media matters, I doubt the fifth and scotus would uphold that ruling.

Even if it did stay in the NDTX and the judge ruled that the TOS choice of law procedure doesn't control, Texas has a pretty good anti-SLAPP law itself called the TCPA which this case fits squarely into. Like the CA anti-SLAPP, it stays all discovery and other litigation until the hearing on the motion to dismiss, which will be 45 days after filing the motion. Even though we're in federal court, the local state laws apply. In both cases musk will be paying media matters attorneys costs and fees.

This lawsuit is just as dumb as the one musk filed to try to get out of his purchase of Twitter except that he's got true believer jackasses from the federalist society filing his suit instead of a respected biglaw firm.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Even if it did stay in the NDTX and the judge ruled that the TOS choice of law procedure doesn't control, Texas has a pretty good anti-SLAPP law itself called the TCPA which this case fits squarely into. Like the CA anti-SLAPP, it stays all discovery and other litigation until the hearing on the motion to dismiss, which will be 45 days after filing the motion. Even though we're in federal court, the local state laws apply. In both cases musk will be paying media matters attorneys costs and fees.

Popehat and Co has a comment on the anti-SLAPP stuff, as apparently the Muskovites filed this way deliberately to avoid the Texas anti-SLAPP statute:

quote:

X filed this in federal court in Texas to avoid application of an anti-SLAPP statute. In the Fifth Circuit — including Texas — anti-SLAPP statutes do not apply in federal court even to state claims. The Ninth Circuit — where X has its principal place of business - applies anti-SLAPP statutes.

So does seem Media Matters's first thing will get the lawsuit the hell out of the 5th circuit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ah, I didn't realize that the fifth circuit had that rule. Thanks!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Vic mignogna (voice actor most known for his lead role in Fullmetal Alchemist) just lost a really bad anti-slapp case in Texas filed by similar yahoos.

Feels like a dry run if I let my conspiracy brain go wild.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Vic mignogna (voice actor most known for his lead role in Fullmetal Alchemist) just lost a really bad anti-slapp case in Texas filed by similar yahoos.

Yeah I don't think it'll be the same case.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s been really amusing seeing all of the goons try to trash talk the AI/ML advances as simultaneously completely worthless and capable of eliminating all their jobs.

Deep fakes are a terrifying concept that we will see more and more of soon.

GPT can give you imprecise and incorrect information but it can also save you massive amounts of time on a wide variety of tasks

AI art is extremely impressive and nobody outside of forums posters actually cares when half a pinkie is missing, nor expects that to be a problem forever. The ability to imagine some ridiculous concept and see a computer spit out an image of it in a few seconds is incredible.

There’s an element of buzzwordiness and grift going on but the impacts of AI/ML applications hitting the mainstream are very real

I kinda feel about the LLM bubble the way I do about a very exciting new videogame that's come out. There's a bunch of absolute fanboy idiots who are crowding in and declaring it their new religion and getting cringey full back tattoos of some NPC, then there's a bunch of pubbies also crowding in and pretending to be hyped but at all the wrong stuff "oh look. You have an inventory! wow! This is amazing!"

And then in between there's a group of people who are just excited for the thing itself. I love playing with LLMs, and it's pretty obvious that they're going to get operationalized in all kinds of interesting and unique ways (some of those ways disastrous). But it's not the singularity folks. Terminator is not here. The economy will not be fully automated by a runaway AI. Chill out. Also, okay you got it to spit out a generic wikipedia rear end feeling 5-part essay with a single prompt...interesting I guess but also kinda boring?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I don't think it'll be the same case.

Yeah I know Texas is just Calvinlaw country.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, but the TCPA doesn't apply because the fifth circuit sees it as a procedural statute and federal courts follow state law not procedure. It's a ticky tacky thing, but it's the rule. However, if it gets kicked to NDCA, California's anti-slapp law will apply.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1726989224073896365

Just the biggest fuckin' punchable nerd to ever have nerded.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

El Mero Mero posted:

I kinda feel about the LLM bubble the way I do about a very exciting new videogame that's come out. There's a bunch of absolute fanboy idiots who are crowding in and declaring it their new religion and getting cringey full back tattoos of some NPC, then there's a bunch of pubbies also crowding in and pretending to be hyped but at all the wrong stuff "oh look. You have an inventory! wow! This is amazing!"

And then in between there's a group of people who are just excited for the thing itself. I love playing with LLMs, and it's pretty obvious that they're going to get operationalized in all kinds of interesting and unique ways (some of those ways disastrous). But it's not the singularity folks. Terminator is not here. The economy will not be fully automated by a runaway AI. Chill out. Also, okay you got it to spit out a generic wikipedia rear end feeling 5-part essay with a single prompt...interesting I guess but also kinda boring?

Personally, I suspect it's going to end up transformative but not in a way anybody can predict right now. The ability to have a machine interface that smashes the Turing test seems to me likely to result in some pretty significant changes in user interface if nothing else, and that in turn means changes in how people interact with devices in their environment. But I have no idea what the killer application is going to end up being, and I seriously doubt the answer is Skynet.

To me it's kind of the opposite of Blockchain, where outside of extremely edge cases like land tenure in undeveloped countries it was really hard for me to see any actual use case that was in any way better than the current status quo for the end user. With this, it seems like the big value-add is improving the end user experience for interacting with machines and I think that's going to end up a big deal in some way.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh my loving god how divorced can you be?

Also please federal judges look into these claims

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

God hes the cringest motherfucker alive.

The musk simps are close, but he is the king.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Notahippie posted:

Personally, I suspect it's going to end up transformative but not in a way anybody can predict right now. The ability to have a machine interface that smashes the Turing test seems to me likely to result in some pretty significant changes in user interface if nothing else, and that in turn means changes in how people interact with devices in their environment. But I have no idea what the killer application is going to end up being, and I seriously doubt the answer is Skynet.

To me it's kind of the opposite of Blockchain, where outside of extremely edge cases like land tenure in undeveloped countries it was really hard for me to see any actual use case that was in any way better than the current status quo for the end user. With this, it seems like the big value-add is improving the end user experience for interacting with machines and I think that's going to end up a big deal in some way.

Adding it as an element of UI does seem to be the way the tech giants are going, and tbh once I get over my distrust of it phoning home constantly I am excited to see the way it updates my workflows. I say this as someone who spends 80% of her time on a cli and doesn't expect that to ever change

People already freak out because I talk to my house. My one attempt at putting an AI behind that accident resulted in a Victorian waif demanding money, but the fact that I did that in like an hour of loving around was pretty amazing

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh my loving god how divorced can you be?

Also please federal judges look into these claims

Threats of violence. Just a joke bro.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

He really, really, really wants to be John McAfee

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Every time he posts some tough guy act people should reply with the maxwell pic

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I think in US they don't usually charge people for murder when they kill people with lovely safety practices, though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Trump just burped out his "health report" on that other social media channel. He still has the best brains, better than most with tears in their eyes, has excellent health and will be bigly stamina-full for a very longer time, plus he even managed to lose weight from his previous 215 pounds. Not linking to anything because gently caress him and everything he touches.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Trump just burped out his "health report" on that other social media channel. He still has the best brains, better than most with tears in their eyes, has excellent health and will be bigly stamina-full for a very longer time, plus he even managed to lose weight from his previous 215 pounds. Not linking to anything because gently caress him and everything he touches.

Worth reminder that doctor that made that report is super bad at diagnosing those things. He's a fixer doctor - he writes what he's told and pockets a fee.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommieGIR posted:

Worth reminder that doctor that made that report is super bad at diagnosing those things. He's a fixer doctor - he writes what he's told and pockets a fee.

I like to remind people that his officially reported weight and height at the time he became president put him at exactly one pound under the clinical definition of obesity for his officially stated height.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

CBJSprague24 posted:

His biographers say he was viciously bullied as a child, and while it's hard to defend I can't help thinking about him being the richest person on the planet for some time now. He cringes like this. And all his childhood bullies are still alive. I can't understand.

The one person who could be an actual hollywood villain, is instead Elon Musk.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

McAfee would dunk on this nerd so hard. He would take Elon out to gently caress whales and be like “well I guess it wasn’t consensual” when the boat pulled back into port missing a billionaire.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

When you were partying, I studied the blade. When you were having premarital sex, I mastered the blockchain. While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I cultivated inner strength. And now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CommieGIR posted:

Didn't McAfee die of a bad enema or something?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CBJSprague24 posted:

EloniusX lmao

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/USTreasury/status/1727069094388912180?t=AUOHRIzq5HeNiKUXPtnVpg&s=19

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1727065611233313195?t=RmKJqvy00taGu2bevpxEQg&s=19

never crypto

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Tiny Timbs posted:

AI art is extremely impressive and nobody outside of forums posters actually cares when half a pinkie is missing, nor expects that to be a problem forever. The ability to imagine some ridiculous concept and see a computer spit out an image of it in a few seconds is incredible.

know I'm a couple pages behind but AI art actually loving sucks because not one of them would produce "TRUMP SELF SUCK WEARING AMERICAN FLAG HAT IN TIMES SQUARE IN FRONT OF RASCAL SCOOTER MOB"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

know I'm a couple pages behind but AI art actually loving sucks because not one of them would produce "TRUMP SELF SUCK WEARING AMERICAN FLAG HAT IN TIMES SQUARE IN FRONT OF RASCAL SCOOTER MOB"

there are plenty of run-it-yourself models on github that will deliver your dreams

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Isn't Binance the last leg holding up *super-scarequotes* "legitimate" crypto?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Isn't Binance the last leg holding up *super-scarequotes* "legitimate" crypto?

Its one of them yes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
legit crypto?

:lol:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anytime someone mentions crypto I think of cryptosporidium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee159M3wxA8

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ded posted:

legit crypto?

:lol:

If it’s legitimate crypto, the regulatory body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bad_fmr posted:

When you were partying, I studied 4chan. When you were having premarital sex, I mastered stealing credit. While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I injected foreign steroids. And now that your car is on fire and the barbarians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for a refund.