Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It’s Tony’s attempt to punish Danielson for daring to work NJPW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Why the hell is Briscoe considered a bad addition to the tournament? I'll take him over either of the Hardys or pretty Peter or some other blank space on the roster.

A lot of this is booking chickens coming home to roost. Of course someone like Nemeth or Avalon or the Dark Order aren't going to be winning anything major, they've been booked like complete fuckin goobers for years now. And yes, there's always going to be usual winners and usual losers, but if you're not willing to shake things up a little bit and surprise people short term then poo poo like this tournament and people's expectations for it are gonna be in the mud. A percentage of your roster may as well not exist with how low the bar is set for them by the audience. Emi Sakura getting occasional TV time now is like the shock of the fuckin year, by the way.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s Tony’s attempt to punish Danielson for daring to work NJPW

When he gets injured TK'll make it up to Okada by having him come in to lose a 4th time

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

would be very cool if they reboot the show after the C2 but the earliest possible chance for anything resembling that is whenever adam cole heals in late 2024 so tony can Finish The Story.

more crap from an arse until then

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Natural 20 posted:

Part of it is life in the way but since my Thursday currently isn't free I've not been watching Dynamite and since the MJF face turn I've not felt compelled at all to try to catch up.

I liked the angle with Adam Cole but I just can't make myself care about face MJF.

I think another issue is that many people were into the MJF/Adam Cole thing, and even when Roddy turned up it was interesting and Roddy was doing great character work. But like most things good in AEW, once the company realizes that something is over, they exaggerate it and do it again and again and again and again and it becomes cartoonish and moronic and loses what made it naturally appealing in the first place.

Roddy is the perfect example of this. He started being the cucked dweeb loser best friend wearing a neckbrace and looking pathetic, and it was amazing. Added a lot to the story. But now, every time Roddy is onscreen it's ADAAAAAAMMMMMM ADDDDDAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM and he's so cartoonishly and stupidly leaning into the character that it's no longer good, it's just milking a gimmick. He no longer feels like a real person.

Same thing with MJF's kangaroo kick. Yes it's over to the live crowds but it's so bad. It makes no sense for him to do that move. It's a pure comedy cheap pop spot which moves MJF away from what makes him so incredible, which is his subtlety and being essentially "the wrestler who hates the showbiz elements of wrestling."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mark Briscoe got to do a promo showing off all the continental things he knows and the tournament is whatever after that, we already got the best thing

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Longing for the days when Leva Bates wrestling in her "Librarian" gimmick was the worst part of a given AEW show

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

When he gets injured TK'll make it up to Okada by having him come in to lose a 4th time

Yeah if you want AEW Hell let me tell you how fuckin dumbshit it is to have Okada come in and just lose repeatedly.

Always gonna be an attraction, but hey let's kill a lil of his shine against a guy who can't wrestle him without breaking. I'm absolutely sore about this, yes.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

fawning deference posted:

which moves MJF away from what makes him so incredible, which is his subtlety and being essentially the "the wrestler who hates the showbiz elements of wrestling."

:confused:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah if you want AEW Hell let me tell you how fuckin dumbshit it is to have Okada come in and just lose repeatedly.

Always gonna be an attraction, but hey let's kill a lil of his shine against a guy who can't wrestle him without breaking. I'm absolutely sore about this, yes.

its because tony wants to punish NJPW for not partnering with AEW earlier. he's stealing or burying all their top guys, and turning their bad belts into worse belts.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

A lot of the midcarders are good-great wrestlers who are booked like idiot losers so hopefully it would be an opportunity for them to just go out and have good matches. But who knows! I'm putting my money where my mouth is!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Put your money where your mouth is, and watch this tournament, that will be airing for free on our weekly programs

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've been sending TK $600 every month to help pay for Evil Uno's contract

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wow, john cruz AND serpentico

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeaaaah

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol already deep into the making poo poo up and goon illiteracy parts of a hate thread

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

fez_machine posted:

lol already deep into the making poo poo up and goon illiteracy parts of a hate thread

If I could read this post I'd probably hate it

.....bitch!!!!!!!!

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/AndrewTRich/status/1727037546679681186?s=20

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

elp, noted fed stan blogger

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Whomever the participants and whatever the results of this latest useless tournament for nothing, I hope the ending has Jushin Liger come out to congratulate the winner and get brushed off. Should be the new tournament tradition

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

dodgeblan posted:

I think that Cody was the skeleton key that held everything together.

AEW Hell is our punishment for not cheering the Codyverse. Cody was always destined to save us from MJF but we chose to crucify our savior before he could deliver redemption.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

cody was absolutely terrible too people let's not pretend he didn't get booed out of the building for 6 months straight after his embarrassing UK vs USA feud and doing a baby shower live on air

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Fans who go to AEW shows lives are, for the most part, villains and cads. Garbage fanbase.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hefty Leftist posted:

cody was absolutely terrible too people let's not pretend he didn't get booed out of the building for 6 months straight after his embarrassing UK vs USA feud and doing a baby shower live on air

And they all cheer for MJF now. Pigs love slop and hate caviar, shocking

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

NienNunb posted:

Fans who go to AEW shows lives are, for the most part, villains and cads. Garbage fanbase.

got tickets and i cant really disagree if im being honest

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

NienNunb posted:

Why do you hate fun?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

Why do you hate fun?

When I went to the first Grand Slam I was sat in front of, in my estimation, the stinkiest racist in the tri-state area.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

When I went to the first Grand Slam I was sat in front of, in my estimation, the stinkiest racist in the tri-state area.

i have a gland condition but you cannot deny that the seats were really good

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I bought tickets to Battle of the Belts I and that corrected me from buying AEW tickets moving forward. Didn't even have good t-shirts for sale to cover my mass.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the truth is obvious. tony khan has mako poisoning.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Tato posted:

I bought tickets to Battle of the Belts I and that corrected me from buying AEW tickets moving forward. Didn't even have good t-shirts for sale to cover my mass.

cm punk was 100% right about AEW's merch situation

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

cm punk was 100% right

Been saying this

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I've had better luck buying merch from from CMLL guys over facebook messenger

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Longing for the days when Leva Bates wrestling in her "Librarian" gimmick was the worst part of a given AEW show

Remember that couple of weeks where Brandi and Luthor were shaving people's heads and everyone was calling it the worst poo poo ever?

We get way worse stuff from that every week now with MJF and it usually takes up multiple segments on the show.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Everyone made fun of them for being a t-shirt company but they’re actually quite bad at it. Danhausen probably just trying to get some god drat merch money with whatever he did.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Sticky Nate posted:

I've had better luck buying merch from from CMLL guys over facebook messenger

Danhausen vindicated

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
does anyone have the clip of Bryan stating factually that tony khan does long term booking

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

NienNunb posted:

people who leave their houses are freaks to me too op

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

smarxist posted:

wow, john cruz AND serpentico

what if Infinito is in the C2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Hefty Leftist posted:

cody was great and he made his opponents great. Last time malakai mattered