Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Shinjobi posted:

Good dude, bad team, no clue if he's still good. I hope so, even if gently caress the Cards

He was mostly passable last year, ERA up around 5 but gave 190 innings or so. Not what you want your marquee free agent signing to be, but a serviceable 5th starter.

E: 192 innings at 4.73 ERA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

But I would absolutely retroactively remove him from the HoF if we could enact a morals clause.

That'd certainly get you a small hall.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I went to a music school in Boston and whenever the Yankees came to town, Bernie Williams would stop by the school and jam with the professors. He's quite the jazz guitarist.

He was nominated for a Latin Grammy!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lance Lynn and Kyle Gibson last season combined for 0.1 BWAR

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

FlamingLiberal posted:

Having flashbacks to spring training when he claimed our rotation had six viable starters and starting to cry laugh.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah but between the two of them and Mikolas the Cards are gonna get like 600 IP next year. Just don't look at the ERA.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

Yeah but between the two of them and Mikolas the Cards are gonna get like 600 IP next year. Just don't look at the ERA.

Mediocre innings eaters have their place but not when they're your entire rotation

e: does anyone have that chad innings eater thing?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 21, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cardinals will easily win the division in 2024.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was really unsure if the writers put Roberto alomar in . My guess was no but I looked it up and they did on the first ballot !!

They are hard bunch to figure out

Edit

Second ballot

euphronius fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 21, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Mediocre innings eaters have their place but not when they're your entire rotation

e: does anyone have that chad innings eater thing?

I'm obviously just spitballing but I'd guess the logic behind the Cardinals' moves is that they're expecting a bounceback from the offense to carry them in 2024. If Arenado and Goldschmidt get back to their career offensive norms, Contreras gives them another near 130 wRC+ season, and guys like Gorman, Nootbaar, and Walker continue to develop, they've arguably got the best offense in the division - barring any major FA/trade moves from anybody else. The Cardinals aren't huge spenders so they're probably just not in on the top tier FA starter guys. Maybe they'll try to bring Montgomery back or something but I just don't see them swinging much higher unless it's a trade.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Alomar as a player absolutely deserved to go in.

Alomar as a human being absolutely deserves to get taken out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/thebaseballguy1/status/1727057660460270042?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

maffew buildings posted:

I know your bit is having stupider takes than mcmagic but you overshot it here, it's just not a believable bit anymore after you say this. there is no possible way you're actually that loving stupid, you'd have died in some ridiculously brain dead accident 2,923 times a decade if you're actually so dumb you believe this

What is your actual non trolling argument that Bernie Williams sucked? He was a bad defender? Because he was inarguably an elite offensive player for a long time. He had a 300/400/500 slash for a really long time which is elite and hall of fame level production.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right plus being on a famous team

And a batting title !!

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

FlamingLiberal posted:

drat, and bWAR is the one that likes pitch-to-contact guys better.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1727075573342798181

lol, lmao

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

What is your actual non trolling argument that Bernie Williams sucked? He was a bad defender? Because he was inarguably an elite offensive player for a long time. He had a 300/400/500 slash for a really long time which is elite and hall of fame level production.

I agree Carlos Delgado belongs in the hall.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I agree Carlos Delgado belongs in the hall.

First base vs Centerfield.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I agree Mo Vaughn belongs in the hall.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If you have a negative defensive value at a premium position I think that kind of negates that you play the premium position

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The perfect team to be doing that, too.

also, the new Yankees bench coach is Brad Ausmus

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1727058086957813965?s=20

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

First base vs Centerfield.

I thought we were ignoring defense???

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

If you have a negative defensive value at a premium position I think that kind of negates that you play the premium position

Not really? You're still occupying that position, aren't you?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I foresee the cardinals rotation being an oppressing lineup capable of winning the division.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Delgado didn’t even get past the first ballot !!!

Wtf

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I'd think it'd be more about extremes. A -1 OAA SS is probably still providing more defensive value than a +5 OAA 1B, meanwhile a -10 OAA CF probably hurts your team a lot more than a -15 OAA corner OF.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hahahahahaha when the Yankees fire Boone in June they're going to hand the reins to Ausmus

You can't make this poo poo up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hahahahahaha when the Yankees fire Boone in June they're going to hand the reins to Ausmus

You can't make this poo poo up

I have an exceptionally hard time giving a poo poo who the Yankees' bench coach is.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

mcmagic posted:

a) pointing out how god awful he was defensively isn't trolling
b) there's a lot of guys who were offensively comparable or better that aren't in, and some of them weren't defensive liabilities
c) keep jazz guitar free

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Schildt to the Padres. WAY better option than Phil Nevin.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

c) keep jazz guitar free

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Not really? You're still occupying that position, aren't you?

And actively harming your team by doing so

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It rocks that Mo was given the benefit of the doubt by a bunch of the extremely annoying part of the fanbase who are so far up their rear end about analytics (Viva El Birdos commentariat) for the Lynn signing only to turn around and sign Kyle Gibson the next day.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

And actively harming your team by doing so

Defensive stats are an inexact science. It was very clear that Bernie had a noodle arm but as far as getting to balls, I watched him play thousands of games and I'm relatively sure that he was pretty fine, at least better than the OAAs suggest.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If he wasn’t good they would not have played him there for a decade

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Posada isn’t in the HOF

Holy hell

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

euphronius posted:

If he wasn’t good they would not have played him there for a decade

Jeter played shortshop for 20 years

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I’m sorry, I read people posting that Andre Dawson shouldn’t be in the HoF and blacked out. Have the Cubs signed Yamamoto and Ohtani yet?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

maffew buildings posted:

c) keep jazz guitar free

Excuse you competent jazz guitar is fuckin incredible as both a lead and rhythm instrument. Django Reinhardt and Les Paul would both like words with you. (Also Chet Atkins and Allan Holdsworth.)

edit: poo poo, Django was better with two working fingers than some folks are with all four (or more!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

This is loving pathetic. I’m so far out on this team man. Nothing against the blues or the soccer team but the cardinals are the top dog in town, and they’re going dumpster diving a loving gain? and they’re trotting out the media to write puff pieces about how the man with the most hits against last season and the most home runs against last season are going to bounce back in the friendly confines of beer stadium? gently caress off. Filling innings. What a loving joke