Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Even back in the 80s, the Brits were heavily dependent on the Americans to be able to have their little war. Now, not only is everyone weaker, but the US is a little busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
forums posters Zadok Allen and crepeface, please claim your prize for correctly calling that it was about gas:

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1726808905131401549

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Britain has got around 28 of (35-Bs) them I think last I heard, and the only operational carrier, the HMS Elizabeth, is carrying a whole 8 of them with an unknown amount being combat ready. US' F-35 Bs have a mission capable rate of around 10-15% I think.

But yeah, Argentina really doesn't have an air force at this point, and its navy is in rough shape.

The Prince of Wales is now sailing and flying aircraft, after a year (more?) of having to fix all kinds of very broken stuff on the ship. Finally set out to sea a couple months ago. The current deployment looks like a combination of making sure that it's all for real fixed and also doing a wide variety of flight training and interoperability checkouts with the Americans in the Atlantic.

I don't know where you got F-3B mission capable rates of 10-15%, do you have a source?

GAO puts it around 50-55% for F-35Bs, which is still poor, but 10-15% seems like it would generate some serious headlines.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-23-105341.pdf

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Retromancer posted:

My man, let me introduce you to the Allied IFV from C&C Red Alert 2

600 million or billion?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Why not both? /MIC

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Psychic Blast Dome is also what it gets when your mom is placed inside it.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Genocide Joe sure likes to see things burn

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Boat Stuck posted:

Lit by the flames of hell as he teeters on the edge

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Boat Stuck posted:

you see the cake is your hope and dreams for a better future and biden is smiling watching it burn while doing nothing, very simple

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah according to that report...the full mission-capable rate of the F-35B is between 0 and around 18% depending on when it was built. The early F-35s have a pretty shocking mission-capable rate in general. Even more recently, within the last year a half, the fully mission-capable rate of even later F-35As (the best of the lot) have dipped below 40%. How the hell is the US going to fight a war with these things if the operational rate is dropping this fast even during peacetime?

Also, a carrier fitting out doesn't mean combat operational.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Nov 21, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
sounds like the us needs a new and improved fighter that can do everything even betterer than the f-35. for a mere two trillion dollars i'm willing to design one, and if you throw in another trillion i'll make it able to fly in a vacuum so the space force can get in on the action too

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Yeah according to that report...the full mission-capable rate of the F-35B is between 0 and around 18% depending on when it was built. The early F-35s have a pretty shocking mission-capable rate in general. Even more recently, within the last year a half, the fully mission-capable rate of even later F-35As (the best of the lot) have dipped below 40%. How the hell is the US going to fight a war with these things if the operational rate is dropping this fast even during peacetime?

Yeah mission-capable rates in the 50-70s and full mission-capable around the 40s are bad, no doubt.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Cerebral Bore posted:

sounds like the us needs a new and improved fighter that can do everything even betterer than the f-35. for a mere two trillion dollars i'm willing to design one, and if you throw in another trillion i'll make it able to fly in a vacuum so the space force can get in on the action too

This is called a Sixth Generation Fighter. There are several programs.

US:
-Next Generation Air Dominance
-Next Generation Air Dominance (they have two with the same name lol)

UK\Italy\Japan
-Global Combat Air Programme

France\Spain\Germany
-Future Air Combat System

Russia:
-Mikoyan PAK DP

China:
-???

What is a sixth generation fighter? No one really knows, but everyone is excited.

The main things talked about are:
-stealth - but we already call that fifth generation
-lots of computers - but we already call that fifth generation
-drone integration - but the F-35 and J-20 are already advertised as doing that
-AI - lmao
-Optionally manned - lmao
-fuel efficient engines - cool I guess, I dunno why you can't just stick them on anything
-lasers - lmao

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
what about synergy, you definitely need synergy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Getting the impression fighter planes are a mature technology with only incremental gains being possible from now on, like tanks, but the MIC is trying to desperately maintain the idea that a major qualitative leap is still possible

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
7th gen fighter concepts are going to look like classic round UFOs

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does anyone have the video of biden during the recent summit going to Xi to mumble something weird into his ear and Xi being completely weirded out? I can't find it.
during their table meeting

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Thank you for some reason YouTube refuses to give this in any search

Probably a glitch. Couldnt possibly be getting buried

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

This is called a Sixth Generation Fighter. There are several programs.

lol of course there is

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The talk about the new fighter started a year ago, maybe more, when several military people publicly stated how much rear end F-35 sucks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

The talk about the new fighter started a year ago, maybe more, when several military people publicly stated how much rear end F-35 sucks.

hell, it started about a decade ago, though was renamed a couple times. It started in large part because the F-22 is getting old and will need replacements by 2030s. By 2022, prototypes of NGAD were already flying.

it is very dumb that the air force has the name NGAD (EN-gad) and Navy has a distinct program called NGAD (en-JAD)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ENGAD, so what

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the ENGIF program

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lasers are so dorky

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/MilitaryTimes/status/1727096783015145521?s=20

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Real hurthling! posted:

lasers are so dorky

Railguns are FTW because kinetics > thermal.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Railguns are FTW because kinetics > thermal.

Nah, therm hits many more rats. Kin is really only good if you've got a bonus from whatever hull you're in.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

So when will the F-35 finally finish development?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

BearsBearsBears posted:

When it falls to the first enemy missile in conflict and everyone turns with a grumpy face to Lockheed and demands an answer.

Let me introduce you to ErGhad, I mean, NGAD.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

BearsBearsBears posted:

They call it the F-35 because it will be done in 2035. Or maybe 2135.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Have you guys considered, a common tank chassis with a banana and western jeans module?

The Slavs have no chance.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Looking forward to poo poo posting in my golden years about whatever next next generation fighter is still trying to be finished in the 2040s.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

BearsBearsBears posted:

cant wait for the unofficial community patch to fix the bugs.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

FuzzySlippers posted:

Looking forward to poo poo posting in my golden years about whatever next next generation fighter is still trying to be finished in the 2040s.

im looking forward to posting about the f-35 too!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

forums posters Zadok Allen and crepeface, please claim your prize for correctly calling that it was about gas:

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1726808905131401549

im so clever for thinking a war in the middle-east involving US proxies was about energy resources :smug:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Everyone's holding out until the F-35.5 with the OLED display comes out. Really no point in investing in the OG when the mid-life upgrade version offers 3 second faster boot times and better thermals.

crepeface posted:

im so clever for thinking a war in the middle-east involving US proxies was about energy resources :smug:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BearsBearsBears posted:

After star citizen fully releases.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
People were wondering what a 6th generation fighter is. It's simple. Anything that looks even more sleek and sci fi than an su-75 felon. Ideally an actual X-Wing.

It's more of a vibes and feeling thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

crepeface posted:

big if true :hmmyes: