Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

PainterofCrap posted:

Parallax error was something I trained to compensate for in news photography class, a million years ago, when some still used non-SLR cameras.

There's a pretty famous movie from the 70s called The Parallax View, and apparently the word goes back to the 1500s, so yeah. Not from a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's also what astronomers use to measure the distance to some stars. You look at where it is at one point in the year, then where it is in the opposite point of the year (or where the stars around it are, I'm going by memory), and do some math from there.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 20, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

40Inch posted:

Man, I know it's just a cartoon duck book, but the sails on that airship are really bothering me.

It's just a hot air balloon so I think they're supposed to be like water wheels on a steam boat.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Resident Evil: Code: Veronica #1 (2002)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Vanadium posted:

The fear entity was invented a long time after they called Hal Jordan Parallax, wasn't it?

Also I think when we're reading a series where the protagonists are called Green Lanterns, I don't think we can suddenly expect names with gravitas and relevance.

Well, I happen to write for Green Lantern and I think you'll be singing another tune when I introduce the two new guardians of sector 2807: Gravitas and Relevance. That last guy? He'll be around forever.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CzarChasm posted:

Gravitas and Relevance

You can't fool me, that's a General Systems Vehicle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You can't fool me, that's a General Systems Vehicle

GSV Oh This Is Where We've Been Keeping All Our Gravitas

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
People always post the "Where is your chin?" panel from Preacher, but I am fond of this sequence from the same issue (added censor bars):

Preacher #46 (1999)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #22 (1946)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Yeah. They just reassigned the name to the fear entity. Honestly it was the most dumbass saving throw they could do to retcon that all away. It worked, but it was always dumb as gently caress.

Initially the yellow weakness was described as being due to a "necessary impurity in creating the rings" or whatever. Now I'm pretty sure we're at the point where it's acknowledged as "yellow is the color of fear", and if you can keep your wits about you, you can power through and gently caress up yellow anyway.

*Promptly gets knocked out by falling branch*

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kurui Reiten posted:

Yeah. They just reassigned the name to the fear entity. Honestly it was the most dumbass saving throw they could do to retcon that all away. It worked, but it was always dumb as gently caress.

Initially the yellow weakness was described as being due to a "necessary impurity in creating the rings" or whatever. Now I'm pretty sure we're at the point where it's acknowledged as "yellow is the color of fear", and if you can keep your wits about you, you can power through and gently caress up yellow anyway.

My recollection is that it started as 'a safeguard built in by the Guardians to keep the Lanterns humble' to 'the personification of Fear, which is yellow, by the way, lives in the battery for reasons' to 'well, now it's gone, but most of the Lanterns still believe they can't affect yellow, so their mind makes it real' and that's when I stopped even vaguely paying attention.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That last one is silly, because Green Lanterns are chosen because of great will. Surely they could overcome that limitation if they know it's not real anymore.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Grendels Dad posted:

It's a boner joke, op

Yes, even the Yellow Fear.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Philippe posted:

That last one is silly, because Green Lanterns are chosen because of great will. Surely they could overcome that limitation if they know it's not real anymore.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work, actually. They can but they have to think about it and concentrate.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheCenturion posted:

My recollection is that it started as 'a safeguard built in by the Guardians to keep the Lanterns humble' to 'the personification of Fear, which is yellow, by the way, lives in the battery for reasons' to 'well, now it's gone, but most of the Lanterns still believe they can't affect yellow, so their mind makes it real' and that's when I stopped even vaguely paying attention.

Our "Not corrupted by a fear demon" central battery has Lanterns asking a lot of questions already answered by our battery.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Philippe posted:

maybe they're just kind of dumb

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kevin Palpatine posted:

I highly doubt that. They're cops, remember?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kevin Palpatine posted:

It DID take until the entire Corps. was destroyed for a Guardian to be like "maybe we should give the weapon of infinite might that relies on the wielder's innate creativity to, like, some sort of artist..."

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Kurui Reiten posted:

It DID take until the entire Corps. was destroyed for a Guardian to be like "maybe we should give the weapon of infinite might that relies on the wielder's innate creativity to, like, some sort of artist..."

Ganthet didn't think about it, though. He just gave it to the first person he found.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Read right to left.

Pokemon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu #2 (1998)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From Wolverine #39.

I guess that's one way to advertise your metal racket.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Those henchmen are loving their boss's cool trick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

From Wolverine #39.

What kind of off-brand onomatopoeia is that? Where's the letter R?

"Hey man, you interested in some onomatopoeia? [opens one side of his coat] I got all the luxury names. I got Kunch, Krakoon, Snikd, Twip, and Banff."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lobok posted:

What kind of off-brand onomatopoeia is that? Where's the letter R?

"Hey man, you interested in some onomatopoeia? [opens one side of his coat] I got all the luxury names. I got Kunch, Krakoon, Snikd, Twip, and Banff."

How much for a Gronk?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bruceski posted:

How much for a Gronk?

Baby gronk is a bit overpriced at the moment on account of being rizzed up by livvy

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bruceski posted:

How much for a Gronk?

[Sirens start blaring Lucasishly]

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

He made a gun barrel manifest out of thin air just so he could bite it off. A strange trick, but a menacing one all the same.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
Matter Eater Lad's great-great-great-great-greatx40 grandad seems like a bit of an edgelord.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Prince Valiant (May 29, 1960)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Shazam! #4

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Chinston Wurchill posted:

From Wolverine #39.

Holy poo poo, dude, clear the chamber before you do that, or you're gonna get a spicy surprise one of these days.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #137 (1967)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #22 (1946)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #51 (1944)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Resident Evil: Code: Veronica #2 (2002)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Read right to left.

I decided to look this up to see what the original joke was. In the japanese version it was "ジャン=リュック ピカチュウ" or.. Jean-Luc Pikachu.

So, yep, that's just the joke.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's a lovely morning in NYC, and you are a goose.

Amazing Spider-Man 31

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Darthemed posted:

Resident Evil: Code: Veronica #2 (2002)

Well, there's also Tricell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How are the Resident Evil comics out of curiosity? Apparently they made at least a couple of them