Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
How extremely bad do you have to be if you're twice as bad as Zack Wilson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

How extremely bad do you have to be if you're twice as bad as Zack Wilson?

Just going off comparing them on PFR, Rosen and Wilson's stats aren't that different with the big difference being that Josh Rosen really, really, really liked throwing interceptions, which I think goes back to Daltos' theory of "never draft a QB who can't throw an out route"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I don't know how anyone in the Panthers organization can watch those agonizing 15+ play dink and dunk scoring drives that take 10+ minutes and not fire every single person in the organization. Well, the owner is an idiot and the team will continue to be awful, so I understand it won't fix anything, but watching those drives will literally sap your will to live. And they only manage to put one together per game.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

better not to fire anyone yet or else you might mess up your tank for the first p-oh gently caress

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tato posted:

I don't know how anyone in the Panthers organization can watch those agonizing 15+ play dink and dunk scoring drives that take 10+ minutes and not fire every single person in the organization. Well, the owner is an idiot and the team will continue to be awful, so I understand it won't fix anything, but watching those drives will literally sap your will to live. And they only manage to put one together per game.

The only explanation I can think of is tepper knows how bad it’ll look if he goes to the fourth coach in less than two seasons.

That and Bryce was his demand and he’s terrified fitterer and reich will spill the beans the second they’re off payroll.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Rosen had those hilarious games where his statline was like 5/19 for 50 yards. he strung a bunch of those together

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Think about how scary it must be to be a truly lovely quarterback. You're taking your life into your hands with every snap. You've got anywhere from four to seven huge dudes looking to murder you and you have no idea where they're coming from because you're too lovely to piece it together and they're going to have the time because you're too lovely to get the ball out quickly.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Despera posted:

looks like herbert to me

clearly a straight man—herbie is way hotter, which leads to better qb production

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

The only explanation I can think of is tepper knows how bad it’ll look if he goes to the fourth coach in less than two seasons.

That and Bryce was his demand and he’s terrified fitterer and reich will spill the beans the second they’re off payroll.

The first point's pretty valid, but I don't really see how the second affects him that much. He's already turned the Panthers into the worst team in the NFL since he bought the organization, a couple of former employees spilling the beans isn't going to make him look a lot worse... unless he's been like Dan Snyder bad this entire time and they've privy to it :tinfoil:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Rosen taught me that if someone can't throw a slant at the combine then don't draft them

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

The first point's pretty valid, but I don't really see how the second affects him that much. He's already turned the Panthers into the worst team in the NFL since he bought the organization, a couple of former employees spilling the beans isn't going to make him look a lot worse... unless he's been like Dan Snyder bad this entire time and they've privy to it :tinfoil:

If the coach and gm state that tepper ordered them to make one of the worst trade in nfl history (which he has admitted to on video) and told them to take Bryce then he’d be the laughingstock of the league.

Prior to that loving dinner with Bryce every beat writer that covers the panthers, plus Albright who knows a weird amount about the team and Jordan rodrigue all said it was stroud. As lovely a coach as reich is turning out to be, I cannot imagine he stood next to Bruce and thought “this is a guy that can physically play in the nfl.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

My favorite thing about Tepper is when he was hired everyone assumed that because he was a minority owner for the Steelers that he’d have learned something and would mostly be hands off and let the football people make football decisions but instead he’s one of the most meddlesome and reactionary owners in the league.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

YOLOsubmarine posted:

My favorite thing about Tepper is when he was hired everyone assumed that because he was a minority owner for the Steelers that he’d have learned something and would mostly be hands off and let the football people make football decisions but instead he’s one of the most meddlesome and reactionary owners in the league.

Yeah, absolutely none of that energy rubbed off on Tepper and it's fascinating to see it play out in real time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/austingayle_/status/1724892016755241321

the one with purdy added is incredible. what a find

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I seriously don't understand why people think he's just a system QB or that he's nothing special.

Trey Lance wasn't even that horrible - Purdy's just that good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bryce looks the same week 11 as he did week 1 teams are just better at exploiting the schemes now.

I think this year's just gotta be a Mulligan. Get a new head coach, get a new gm. Buy whatever pass catchers you can. Go back to a power gap scheme and see what's what re: Bryce by mid season 2024.

Does it really matter in ten years if we have a suicide year and just see if he can actually play with a supporting scheme and even.bang average supporting cast next year? Worst case he's Rosen 2.0 and we roll into 2025 with a super high first.

Trying to fix everything in one offseason like we did last year lead to this.

At this point you gotta just take your medicine.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Bryce looks the same week 11 as he did week 1 teams are just better at exploiting the schemes now.

Bryce young threw two interceptions in week 1.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bryce is a rookie on the worst team in the league yall need patience

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

I still think he can play. I don't think the team can be successful in its current state given scheme and personnel.

I think the people responsible for both need to go.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'd bet a sizable sum on him being a bust at this point. Rookies that look this bad have low success rates.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

We're gonna need more than patience if we're waiting for him to grow 7 inches

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I can't stop watching this.

https://x.com/uSTADIUM/status/1710386117386609008?s=20

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

oh my god panthers fans were given such a bill of goods with tepper and young.

Tepper and/or his wife 100% overruled the coaching staff with Young. Just listen to the man talk about him.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It's a good lesson writ large: just bc someone was in a successful organization or worked for a successful leader does not mean they've learned the proper lessons from that time.

What I see a lot too is that sometimes all that means is that they know how to keep that successful org afloat not how to get to that place or how to improve it. That and the main lesson I've learned from doing a lot of consulting across different industries is never ever ever hire a boomer with the belief that they can adapt to any situation remotely different than where they're coming from.

fsif posted:

I'd bet a sizable sum on him being a bust at this point. Rookies that look this bad have low success rates.

Probably but the only way to find out is to jettison the garbage coaching staff and try someone else next year. That and they don't have a 1st round pick to get a new rookie QB ala AZ Cardinals and Rosen

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 22, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Probably but the only way to find out is to jettison the garbage coaching staff and try someone else next year. That and they don't have a 1st round pick to get a new rookie QB ala AZ Cardinals and Rosen

Yeah exactly. We don't have a top 5 pick this draft. We need to replace what can be replaced right now and move on from what we can move on from.

If Bryce is a bad investment by the bye week next year. Fine. Cut bait and take another swing with what I presume will be a first overall.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

As someone that admittedly hasn't followed the Panthers at all, I have some skepticism that Reich and his staff are as garbage as advertised. He has a proper coaching pedigree and some legitimate good years in Indy. It's not an Urban Meyer situation.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wasn't the whole deal with Carolina this year that they brought together this Superstar Coaching Staff?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

R.D. Mangles posted:

wasn't the whole deal with Carolina this year that they brought together this Superstar Coaching Staff?

Can't coach height

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
In a way having Tepper as an owner has been absolutely freeing as a Panthers fan. I don't have to care anymore. The organization has a total moron as an owner and he just bought the team so he will be in place for loving forever.

There was a game against the Falcons where Chris Weinke completed four loving passes and Carolina still won due to the rushing game and Atlanta incompetence. I weep to have a Carolina team with that talent and hope again.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Doltos posted:

Pretty sure the All Pro PasserTM toy would get the Panthers more wins at QB. Less INTs too.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Tato posted:

In a way having Tepper as an owner has been absolutely freeing as a Panthers fan. I don't have to care anymore. The organization has a total moron as an owner and he just bought the team so he will be in place for loving forever.

There was a game against the Falcons where Chris Weinke completed four loving passes and Carolina still won due to the rushing game and Atlanta incompetence. I weep to have a Carolina team with that talent and hope again.

Don't worry, no matter how bad things get you can always hope for Atlanta to be worse

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

Yeah, absolutely none of that energy rubbed off on Tepper and it's fascinating to see it play out in real time.

I can't believe he's a worse owner than who he just replaced. It shouldn't be possible

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Black Lighter posted:

Don't worry, no matter how bad things get you can always hope for Atlanta to be worse

Can you? I don't think it's an understatement to say this is the most extraordinary failure I've ever seen a football franchise experience. There are safeguards set in place to prevent teams from screwing themselves this hard but the Panthers found a way regardless.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

R.D. Mangles posted:

I thought they were generally solid hires but it was still funny to me that everyone was like "Frank Reich...Jim Caldwell...the guy everyone laughed at the Texans for being obsessed with hiring despite having 0 experience...there's no way a team led by these men could fail"

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

xbilkis posted:

Here is to me the biggest red flag on Drake Maye

That dude just doesn't look like a top NFL QB. Who's the last great QB who looked anything like that? It's a face in the Jimmy Clausen/Sam Darnold lineage of busts

He's Zach Wilson with a worse smile :sever:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Black Lighter posted:

As a 49ers fan, this will always be my defining "WTF Falcons, WT Actual gently caress?" moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBG-XEjDrS8

#35 is All-Pro safety Eric Reid. He has a free run at Matt Ryan at the snap. The Falcon's were somehow okay with this. Ryan will not have time to make a second read, or even a proper first read. He knows who he's throwing the ball to before the snap. So does the defense.

Note that Bowman's catch could be used as a "you catch the ball with your eyes" teaching aid at any level of the sport. That's textbook perfect looking the ball into your hands.

Go Niners!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fsif posted:

As someone that admittedly hasn't followed the Panthers at all, I have some skepticism that Reich and his staff are as garbage as advertised. He has a proper coaching pedigree and some legitimate good years in Indy. It's not an Urban Meyer situation.

I dont mean this to sound like it will but the latter part becomes pretty clear, pretty quickly when you do the former.

I posted about this earlier in the thread but they have an offensive line that took two years to build that had just found its feet in a power gap scheme completely change to a zone blocking scheme. After they brought in a running back who came from a down hill scheme.

The game plan is 70/30 pass run oriented at the moment and that passing game features 11 personnel either in or out of shotgun, some ungodly amount of time. We call flank screens and static routes that routinely fail on every single drive, we don't use motion, we don't use flooding high low concepts like modern passing offences do, we don't utilise bunch formations to create picks and leverage.

Its all out of date. It's all wrong for the personnel. All of it made sense on paper and then all of it made no sense in how it was executed.

Even down to game management decisions. A long sustained drive is fine, but things like having Bryce convert 7/7 on 4th and third downs on a drive into bears territory only to elect to kick a 60 yard field goal instead of go for it on 4th and 6. It's insane.

Personnel and trading for Bryce over Stroud is one thing, but the coaching has not been up to par.

The Dallas game they at least used more up tempo and shotgun to try and get the team into a rhythm a little better but you need to actually block and giving up 6 sacks and 7 pressures because youve got square pegs bumbling in round holes ain't it either.

Its been horrid and last year we at least had a blueprint at the end of the year of what the team could look like. Wilks team playing in the McAdoo scheme this time last year was a play off contender in the nfc s.

How is that loving cast-off mcadoo able to do a better job than Reich at designing an offensive plan?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Reich is stubborn and resistant to change and doesn't try to scheme any help for players and depends on them to win their matchup all the time.

It worked in Indy when he had hall of fame QBs that could make adjustments at the line or just flat out make plays. When he didn't have that then his only success was having a dominant offensive line and RB. And if either of those stopped working then the team was screwed.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Reich is stubborn and resistant to change and doesn't try to scheme any help for players and depends on them to win their matchup all the time.

It worked in Indy when he had hall of fame QBs that could make adjustments at the line or just flat out make plays. When he didn't have that then his only success was having a dominant offensive line and RB. And if either of those stopped working then the team was screwed.

Yeah if you take away the Eagles SB year where he was working under Pederson his history isn't amazing. He was a QB coach for Peyton Manning, bounced around the league with a bunch of teams until he got his big shot, then he was effective with Andrew Luck, decent with Rivers and terrible with everyone else.

I don't see anything culturally with the team that seems great either. I know it's a little dumb to base things off "vibes" I guess, but a lot of teams that are trending in the right direction - they have some kind of identity they're hanging their hat on. Panthers simply don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

This is an incredibly dumb thing to say. He seems very dumb. Monitor is ON.

Imagine being a rookie QB coming into the worst team in the league and hearing this.