Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Because I'm going to have Krieg guys in my infantry squad supporting field guns I've decided to make it kind of a mixed Krieg and Cadian vibe and model some of the artillery crew mid argument over the way to do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

JBP posted:

Because I'm going to have Krieg guys in my infantry squad supporting field guns I've decided to make it kind of a mixed Krieg and Cadian vibe and model some of the artillery crew mid argument over the way to do things.

This sounds loving awesome

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm really enjoying converting the bombast. Such a large base really gives you room to make a little scene.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm really enjoying converting the bombast. Such a large base really gives you room to make a little scene.

Yeah I looked at the base and it immediately struck me that this is a stage for drama.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So has every other guard player judging by the pictures on google image search.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lostconfused posted:

So has every other guard player judging by the pictures on google image search.

What did you search, I wanna see those field crews.

E: VVVV Ah yeah I saw this. Thought you found some wild ones.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 22, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Watching painting tutorials and getting a sense that Imperial Guard are sculpted on purpose to make speed painting tricks less useful.

Edit: I also placed an order for the box.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 22, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I would wait a few months if you're looking for krieg, rumor has it they're gonna get a full plastic army soon.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like Krieg are unlikely to get plastics while they have their ultra expensive resin range in production.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Krieg definitely feels like the regiment that would get some people to pay more for minis when Cadians would be mostly ok for everyone else.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can make what I want from the Krieg kill team because it's just a flavour unit ultimately. I don't love them, whereas I do love the Cadian WW2 in space aesthetic.

I bet a bonafide Krieg range would sell really well but they're still guard so I'm not sure. They might be worth it to GW because players might buy a heap of them compared to other armies? Maybe the kill team boxes they do are also market research.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

They could always do a new guard army as well, let their creative team try out some new stuff.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I would prefer something more interesting than Cadians for me, but there's nothing wrong with Cadians themselves either and the amount of detail on them is impressive.

Like why do some of the Cadians have an inquisition crest on them? I dunno, but I have to figure out how to paint it now.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 22, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Since I don't play real 40k, can someone answer this hypothetical:

In a 2k point Guard vs Ork game, who typically has more models on the field?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Depends on how many vehicles they're using

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Depends on if youre using gretchin or not

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Demilich posted:

Regular Boyz are a fair bit more expensive than guardsmen so the imperials will probs have more (if your lists are basically symmetrical on points spent across battle line, vehicles and whatever).

Or yeah a heap of gretchin skew it.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 22, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

JBP posted:

I bet a bonafide Krieg range would sell really well but they're still guard so I'm not sure.

Guard in greatcoats with easily swappable heads would sell pretty well imo, a lot of people would buy them for conversions.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Demilich posted:

orks but it's extremely variable. both armies can go very wide with efficient cheap units, and both armies have cost-effective expensive units. superheavies are even viable for guard atm.

it's orks because even the elite ork builds are using infantry or cavalry, while an (almost-)all hull army with a banesword, stormsword, or maybe a baneblade is very doable.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 22, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
No judgement but liking the cadian aesthetic confuses me. It's like some gridiron football players put their pads on over their jerseys and then finished off the look with Starship Troopers helmets. They're so silly, the catachans of old are better even just by virtue of leaning into the silly and being cartoon Rambos.

plastic valhallans though, I buy all the guard.

e: also I like space marines so I have no room to question which goofy space fighters anyone likes

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Cadians do suffer a bit from over saturation but part of it my fondness may be that when I started 40k they were in the same boat Krieg is in now, a more expensive metal range you didn't see often and really everyone had a hundred Catachan. That's what I always threw my wave of Goffs at, a pile of Vietnam war dudes in tank tops.

Personally I think Krieg are overly hyped, they're neat but half the point of guardsmen is that they should be regular men and women that get scared, have families, maintain some slight hope of getting out of all this alive etc. Making them all into faceless clones that live to die takes a dimension away from their struggle and heroism.

Personally I always liked Mordians because nothing seemed more appropriately baroque than fighting in a dress uniform.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Krieg are for people that don't want to paint faces or would rather play space marines but haven't admitted it to themselves.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Crusade book preview:-

https://twitter.com/warhammer/status/1727325871604933035?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Pretty big lore development for necrons, Incredibly jealous Imotekh has started a civil war against the silent king!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 22, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I always loved Steel legion and the Mordians, I've even got some epic Mordians printed, but not painted yet. The Vostroyans stole my heart though, the Blanche aesthetic is so strong, and they have that feudal look that screams 40k.

Lostconfused posted:

Krieg are for people that don't want to paint faces or would rather play space marines but haven't admitted it to themselves.

I think Krieg are just fine, but that is it. They lack any individuality and I can see how that appeals to people, but does nothing for me.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I did end up grabbing some Cities of Sigmar Cavaliers to convert a Vostroyan Lord Solar, plus a little character pack for some extra officers. I'm nearing the end of the field gun and needed a new conversion project. Time to sculpt some bardiche!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Krieg enjoyers are simply too cowardly to jump onto the Skitarii train

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Nearly done with my Warsmith, just needs a couple more cables to fill some gaps and a few more chaosy accoutrements.

Very excited to be finished with this dude, he's been a few months in the making and is my first step into 40k proper from kill team.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

Nearly done with my Warsmith, just needs a couple more cables to fill some gaps and a few more chaosy accoutrements.

Very excited to be finished with this dude, he's been a few months in the making and is my first step into 40k proper from kill team.

Looks amazing so far!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That guy looks sick as hell, I love all the little tubing bits.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Need to remember to take pictures of the assassin I finished earlier.

But here's a look at the Crusade rules for Necrons:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/22/awaken-your-tomb-world-on-crusade-with-codex-necrons/

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like krieg because I find the fantasy of an utterly faceless and anonymous mass of soldiers reducing their enemies to dust through precise discipline and unbreakable morale to be extremely compelling and I prefer the aesthetic of early 20th century militarism to the more explicitly Sci-Fi angle the Skitarii are going for. Also it's extremely weird to compare them to Space Marines at all since Space Marines are all Big drat Heroes (in the Achilles and Lu Bu sense not the moral sense) and Krieg are extremely not that.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
With this crusade book I just noticed a pattern, and I wonder if it will hold moving forward:

- New Marines and Tyranid codex --> Crusade Leviathan
- New AdMech and Necron codex --> Crusade Pariah Nexus

Stands to reason the codices will continue to come out in pairs along with a Crusade book featuring those two factions.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Need to remember to take pictures of the assassin I finished earlier.

But here's a look at the Crusade rules for Necrons:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/22/awaken-your-tomb-world-on-crusade-with-codex-necrons/

this is the first time I see someone paint necrons in bone-white with the metal being black and red glow, drat that looks good.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The inverse Ulthwe color scheme.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

utterly faceless and anonymous soldiers reducing their enemies to dust through precise discipline and unbreakable morale

Yep, that's space marines.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I dunno i like kreig because im a sucker for gas masks and trench warfare

Also Battlefield 1 was one of my fave games

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Also you have to paint less eyes and faces

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The Kreig dudes also look good with Cadian head swaps if you don't want to break up the uniformity of your army and just call them "Cadian Special Forces" or some poo poo. Rough Riders also; my Cadian Scout Cav look pretty awesome, especially with the one head from the upgrade box that looks like Duke from GI Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's a question of what movie do you like more, Saving Private Ryan or 1917?