Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ostrava posted:

This is the best 4 way pedestrian overpass I've been able to come up with. At least in terms of footprint. Anyone have a design they like?

Ditching street level cross walks really helps with traffic.

Have you considered making a urine-soaked underpass instead though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Have you considered making a urine-soaked underpass instead though.

I've played with them some but figured crime would go up.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Ive been running tunnels more regularly as of late. The janky park slide street connections like you have in that picture bug me too much even if cims will walk up them. Tunnels are nice because they can cross straight through the middle of the intersection, though they still suffer from the insane ramp distances required to make them look good.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I can never get walkways that steep I feel

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Cygni posted:

I can never get walkways that steep I feel

Turn off snap to geo and snap to grid. It helps a lot. You can also change snap settings between clicks.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Here is an example of my underpass ramps. For some reason I feel doing 180* switchbacks is easier in cut mode, where the tool doesn't try to snap to itself nearly as much.

For the measurements, I run a cross below the intersection at -18' with that ends fully clear of the sidewalks above. Then turn parallel with the road and go another 10' maintaining the level -18'. This prevents the cut/fill from accidentally eating the sidewalk right at the corner. From there go from -18" up to -11' as a straight ramp, and then maintain the -11' elevation when you make the first 90* turn. Finally come out of the switchback up to 0' grade.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 22, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Away all Goats posted:

My commercial districts are constantly complaining about not having enough customers, even though they're all located in busy, high-traffic areas. As far as I can tell they don't actually go out of business or abandon the property though?

The worst part about it is that they don't know what is or is not working.

CO CEO posted:

We’re also looking at reports about export and distribution of goods in the city. Like mail, these require a deep dive to determine what is working as it should and what is not. I don’t have any details to share yet as we’re still digging into the different reports, but I wanted to let you know we haven’t missed the concerns you have raised. More on those next time!

As I said before in a previous post, the systems are so complicated no one can tell what is or is not actually working as intended.....and it turns out they don't really know either. It could be a tuning problem, it could be an agent issue (collecting and not delivering), or it could be a sim issue.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ostrava posted:

I've played with them some but figured crime would go up.
Choose one:

Wheelchair accessible OR crime free

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Here is an example of my underpass ramps. For some reason I feel doing 180* switchbacks is easier in cut mode, where the tool doesn't try to snap to itself nearly as much.

For the measurements, I run a cross below the intersection at -18' with that ends fully clear of the sidewalks above. Then turn parallel with the road and go another 10' maintaining the level -18'. This prevents the cut/fill from accidentally eating the sidewalk right at the corner. From there go from -18" up to -11' as a straight ramp, and then maintain the -11' elevation when you make the first 90* turn. Finally come out of the switchback up to 0' grade.
Have you considered an underground intersection, so pedestrians are unimpeded? Hell, there'd be a room for an entire park on top.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MikeC posted:

The worst part about it is that they don't know what is or is not working.

As I said before in a previous post, the systems are so complicated no one can tell what is or is not actually working as intended.....and it turns out they don't really know either. It could be a tuning problem, it could be an agent issue (collecting and not delivering), or it could be a sim issue.
Did they hire one of the devs who worked on Vicky2? :v:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Choose one:

Wheelchair accessible OR crime free

It sounds like people in wheelchairs are the ones committing crimes.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

KPC_Mammon posted:

It sounds like people in wheelchairs are the ones committing crimes.

It sounds like you think they aren't.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone not driving a car is a criminal.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone not driving a car is a criminal.

… including passengers?

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
I thought pocket cars were removed in the sequel? I just saw a group of people leave the car factory and turn into cars as they left. Or maybe that's how they get the product out there?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Literally Kermit posted:

… including passengers?

Yes.

Mod for traffic lights and dedicated turn lanes: https://github.com/slyh/Cities2-Various-Mods

I haven't been playing around with any mods since I assume when Paradox Mods is up all this stuff will break and wreck your save, but it is very cool to see how much people are able to do without even having the real tools yet.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Away all Goats posted:

My commercial districts are constantly complaining about not having enough customers, even though they're all located in busy, high-traffic areas. As far as I can tell they don't actually go out of business or abandon the property though?

Demolished the buildings and they were immediately developed into new businesses that had no problem finding customers. So it seems it just gets 'stuck' thinking there's no customers

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Away all Goats posted:

Demolished the buildings and they were immediately developed into new businesses that had no problem finding customers. So it seems it just gets 'stuck' thinking there's no customers

More likely it is tied to cims buying goods at Industrial zones or using outside connections to do their shopping. I have noticed shops selling meals and entertainment are by far the worst affected. Furthermore, the game seems to have business set up at random with no regard for whether the particular good or service they are selling is already in a saturated market.

This entire complex supply chain is giving players little to actually do yet is likely causing a ton of headaches.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

The simulation speed slowing down at around 80-90k pop for me is really a shame, I figured I could go a bit farther with having a relatively modern computer (5600x and a 3070)

I was hoping to actually build out an entire map for once (something i've never done in a city builder before i don't think) but the start/stop simulation speed is agonizing.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Carver posted:

The simulation speed slowing down at around 80-90k pop for me is really a shame, I figured I could go a bit farther with having a relatively modern computer (5600x and a 3070)

I was hoping to actually build out an entire map for once (something i've never done in a city builder before i don't think) but the start/stop simulation speed is agonizing.

Agreed. It’s annoying and really distracts from the fun I’m having, which is a shame. I hope they come out with some kind of agent abstraction that allows larger cities to be created.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

sitchensis posted:

Agreed. It’s annoying and really distracts from the fun I’m having, which is a shame. I hope they come out with some kind of agent abstraction that allows larger cities to be created.

There already is. Every time a cim is supposed to go out and do something, be it go to work, leisure, or go shopping; the game does an RNG roll to see if they actually need to generate an agent trip in the city. At the start of the game this starts off fairly high. As you get to 100k the odds of generating an actual trip falls to 5% or something like that. I guess they could cut that down even more to save on CPU time but then the streets would be empty.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So uhh, i think this game needs a way to see absolute elevation, using just contour lines doesn’t really cut it when you need to compare areas across wider distances.

I grabbed the custom map that CPP had made, and its pretty decent, but the water physics make managing the river that winds through it a total pita. I made a slight tweak to widen the river at one part to make a quay and somehow the engine interpreted that as a signal to spawn more water or something and suddenly the banks on both side of the river were overflowing.

Somehow the water engine must use velocity at specific sections to determine volume of flow, so even though i mostly dammed the flow upstream the increased velocity going through the bottleneck somehow made the flood worse instead of better.

Ended up having to bail myself out by unlocking all the map tiles and carving a new river through the mountains to the sea to relieve some pressure.

Even that barely helped so I don’t know wtf. No wonder they said they had to delay the map maker to improve placing water sources.

I’m half inclined to mod in the maker just so I can see how it work’s currently.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So uhh, i think this game needs a way to see absolute elevation, using just contour lines doesn’t really cut it when you need to compare areas across wider distances.

I grabbed the custom map that CPP had made, and its pretty decent, but the water physics make managing the river that winds through it a total pita. I made a slight tweak to widen the river at one part to make a quay and somehow the engine interpreted that as a signal to spawn more water or something and suddenly the banks on both side of the river were overflowing.

Somehow the water engine must use velocity at specific sections to determine volume of flow, so even though i mostly dammed the flow upstream the increased velocity going through the bottleneck somehow made the flood worse instead of better.

Ended up having to bail myself out by unlocking all the map tiles and carving a new river through the mountains to the sea to relieve some pressure.

Even that barely helped so I don’t know wtf. No wonder they said they had to delay the map maker to improve placing water sources.

I’m half inclined to mod in the maker just so I can see how it work’s currently.

it doesn't work currently. any river that you're seeing on a custom map at the moment is just the ocean filling a river shaped trench. you can place water sources in the map editor but they're nonfunctional.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

it doesn't work currently. any river that you're seeing on a custom map at the moment is just the ocean filling a river shaped trench. you can place water sources in the map editor but they're nonfunctional.

Ahh. I think CPP just edited one of the original maps so the river sources are legit. I think he used one of the water heavy maps and filled in a ton of land which is probably part of the problem.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Just putting this here for now.

Here's one of the worst intersections so far.

Here's the actual worst intersection:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Having so much fun tracing potential paths through those intersections.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ntan1 posted:

Does the game do a good job producing lots and lots of "accidents" on those?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
CO's Ceo just confirmed that we will get one patch in the next 3 weeks. From the wording, it sounds like mail and export fixes are going to be in.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeC posted:

CO's Ceo just confirmed that we will get one patch in the next 3 weeks. From the wording, it sounds like mail and export fixes are going to be in.

Notably also mod support seems to be an "early next year" thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MikeC posted:

Betcha a fiver it breaks all kinds of poo poo and then doesn't get fixed for a month-plus because they take all of December off.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
One patch in the next 3 weeks is basically all of December anyways. So yes that is a way of saying this is the last patch of the year before people go on vacation. Which is fine, people should take time off.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They definitely should. But maybe don't rush a major patch out only a couple days before taking a month off. Paradox has a history here.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
It would be great to know if the high rent notification meant that the building was no longer progressing through the level up system.

Like I kinda think thats what it means, and I’m gonna watch a few of them tonight to see. Also would be nice to know if happiness effects leveling at all. It would also be great to see the profitability % on a building by building level.

Has anyone seen commercial buildings collecting merchandise to sell from cargo harbors or cargo rail stations?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Buildings leveling up is supposed to happen when the residents/business has a significant surplus after paying their rent. So a building complaining about high rent should specifically not be able to upgrade.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ntan1 posted:

now all the chirper messages will be "chesaaa!! :argh:"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't think you have enough lanes bro.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

ntan1 posted:

don't let any haters distract you. you're doing god's work

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ntan1 posted:

My God, I can hear it crying… I-it’s in pain.

Why aren’t you doing something?!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

ntan1 posted:

thanks i hate it

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

put all the poop outlets in hunters point and then zone a bunch of affordable housing there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tzen posted:

thanks i hate it

lol this is just that one Bay Area island. Yerba Buena or whatever it's called.