Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

zer0spunk posted:

You might be giving this franchise more credit than it deserves.

It’s not that I’m giving the franchise credit, it’s that the key players involved have always been careful to not make any decisions that may have to be retconned or reversed in the future. They killed Randy in 2 and regretted it so much they wrote a way to have Jamie Kennedy appear in the 3rd movie. They may make dumb plots (like 5) but they seem very averse to doing anything they’ll regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This point it's a new team of creatives behind 5 and 6, and presumably since those did well, 7-48

I would have agreed more if this wasn't the second movie in a row they leaned heavily into her whole dumb head-dad crap. That therapy scene was incredibly stupid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I hope ghost skeet helps her hunt future Ghostface and encourages her in continuing to plunge knives

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

zer0spunk posted:

This point it's a new team of creatives behind 5 and 6, and presumably since those did well, 7-48

I would have agreed more if this wasn't the second movie in a row they leaned heavily into her whole dumb head-dad crap. That therapy scene was incredibly stupid.

True, but keep in mind Kevin Williamson is still an executive producer and RS has said he’s been very involved in the process. Also RS is on record saying they view the Scream franchise as having happy endings where you wanna see the main characters go through hell and come out the other side. I don’t think they’d make Sam ghostface if they thought that.

They should just stop the head dad poo poo anyway because it’s very bad and not good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

fart blood posted:

They should just stop the head dad poo poo anyway because it’s very bad and not good.

its super great actually!!! >:I

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Snooze Cruise posted:

its super great actually!!! >:I

Blech. It’s dumb. It makes Billy sympathetic by proxy when he shouldn’t be, and it’s kinda dumb to be like “my dad was a killer, therefore I have a mental illness where I may be a killer too”.

I appreciate that they wanted a final girl with traits very different from Sidney but the execution was so bad.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

It’s called ectoplasm

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I will accept it if she gets literally possessed and/or she gets a back-to-back with ghost dad while she guns down an army of ghostfaces

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Tired Moritz posted:

I will accept it if she gets literally possessed and/or she gets a back-to-back with ghost dad while she guns down an army of ghostfaces

I think they are already doing a beetlejuice 2, so stay tuned

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Scream 7 is official and Radio Silence is out. New director is the Happy Death Day guy.

No cast has signed on yet because of the strikes.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Welp looks like a recast is in order for Sam.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/scream-producers-explain-melissa-barrera-fired-antisemitism-1235804914/

Way to get fired for racism I guess?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She’s right and I ain’t seeing this movie

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CelticPredator posted:

She’s right and I ain’t seeing this movie

Cool buddy, love to see people agree with someone that jews control the media (why she got fired)

Pro tip: we do not

I'm sure whatever Kevin Sorbo flick she does next will be fantastic though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wrong sir.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think genocide is bad and hiding that is even worse

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CelticPredator posted:

She’s right

tell me more how her dumb conspiracy theories "are right"

Dumping her for being a liability is the best thing the scream franchise has done in a long time

quote:

Spyglass’ stance is unequivocally clear: We have zero tolerance for antisemitism or the incitement of hate in any form, including false references to genocide, ethnic cleansing, Holocaust distortion or anything that flagrantly crosses the line into hate speech,” a Spyglass spokesperson tells Variety.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Thought she was pretty bland in these, especially compared to Jenna Ortega and Jasmin Savoy Brown, but good for her.

Seems like a huge misstep on the studio's part. Director seemed to have a lot of goodwill from Happy Death Day and Freaky and he's getting torn apart online for his weak-rear end statement.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Crossposting from the horror thread. Spyglass are 100% talking out their rear end.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Did no one read why she got fired? She implies you don't hear both sides because of a racist stereotype

I know, it's shocking to see racist bullshit have consequences but it happens

Sucks to suck I suppose

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Being anti-Israel is not being anti-Semitic, Paramount and Spyglass and whomever else made this decision can go gently caress themselves

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i don’t need to read what they said because I read what she said .

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Did no one read why she got fired? She implies you don't hear both sides because of a racist stereotype

Sucks to suck I suppose

Criticism of the Western media's near unanimous support for Israel's genocide =/= criticism of Judaism.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I probably wouldn't have fired the lead actress of my Gen Z franchise reboot for supporting something the vast majority of Gen Z supports. But they're the studio executives so they must know what they're doing.

Leggsy posted:

Criticism of the Western media's near unanimous support for Israel's genocide =/= criticism of Judaism.

Isn't CNN literally letting the IDF vet their footage? lol

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

In the wake of the Oct. 7 Hamas terror attacks and Israel’s subsequent attacks on Gaza, Barrera has been posting on her Instagram about the conflict, resharing a post that accuses Israel of “genocide and ethnic cleansing” and one from Jewish Currents magazine about distorting “the Holocaust to boost the Israeli arms industry.” Spyglass quickly cut ties with the “In the Heights” actor following the posts.

Eh I'm not the one who torpedoed my career, I'm good with this 👍

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Brave of you

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I asked the seven other jews that run all media with me (or whatever she thinks, literally lol) if they'd miss one wooden actress and they said "not really"

Sorry it's already done

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Eh I'm not the one who torpedoed my career, I'm good with this 👍

The "distorting the holocaust" line that the article cherry picks is in reference to Israel distorting Bulgaria's role in the Holocaust in order to sell them weaponry, nothing to do with holocaust denial. As for the "genocide and ethnic cleansing" line, if you need that one explained, then you haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on in Gaza.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Leggsy posted:

The "distorting the holocaust" line that the article cherry picks is in reference to Israel distorting Bulgaria's role in the Holocaust in order to sell them weaponry, nothing to do with holocaust denial. As for the "genocide and ethnic cleansing" line, if you need that one explained, then you haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on in Gaza.

Yeah don't let why she got fired get in the way, this thread is wild

quote:

Spyglass quietly dropped Melissa Barrera as the star of the next “Scream” film, sources say, due to her social media posts that referred to Israel as a “colonized” land and floated an antisemitic trope that Jews control the media, writing: “Western media only shows the [Israeli] side. Why do they do that, I will let you deduce for yourself.” Barrera did not respond to a request for comment.

I get it, you agree with the actress fired for hate speech, whatever floats your boat

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Bro that’s not what she’s saying, she’s saying the western media has an express interest in pushing pro-Israel propaganda to the degree of denying the genocide of the Palestinian people and dehumanizing them. All of that is true.

If people are not allowed to have nuance in their criticism of the state of Israel without immediately being called anti-Semites, which again, is what you are immediately doing, what the gently caress are we doing here?

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I get it, you agree with the actress fired for hate speech, whatever floats your boat

Do you deny that there has been a Pro-Israel (not pro-Jewish, they are not one in the same, despite what Israel would have you think) bias in the media? Because if so, I can't help you.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It's not racist to point out there's a genocide happening in Palestine. This is hosed

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If only it were possible to make a political statement without the antisemitic parts, won't someone think of poor not Jenna Ortega and her awful plot lines!

Actions have real world consequences, goon approved or not.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's not racist to point out there's a genocide happening in Palestine. This is hosed

But a movie studio said!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think the last one of that first paragraph does like get close to stuff people actually say as a dog whistle. I don't think that was her intended goal though and she should not be fired for it when numerous other entertainment figures say some of the most bloodthirsty poo poo about the Palestinians.

Anyway, go gently caress yourself zer0spunk. I don't like your stupid posts.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 22, 2023

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
If the cast and new director already signed their deals I don’t know if they can walk that easily though, no?

Jenna is likely not returning anyway.

Doubtful Neve comes back after what happened with 6.

This is kind of a disaster.

Cameltoe Chariot
Jan 28, 2004

It isn't racist to call what Israel is doing to Palestine a genocide, because that is a factual statement.
I hope she sues them and wins, and as a lifelong fan of the Scream franchise I'm tapping out. Scream VII can rot.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Sucks to suck I suppose
absolute retard

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Welp looks like a recast is in order for Sam.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/scream-producers-explain-melissa-barrera-fired-antisemitism-1235804914/

Way to get fired for racism I guess?

She got fired because Spyglass Studio is racist, that’s correct

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

it's really cool how everyone who wants to justify her firing very blatantly avoids simply providing the screenshots or full quotes of what she said. really impossible to imagine why that could be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

zer0spunk posted:

What she said wasn’t hate speech and the media is actively working to craft a pro Israel, pro genocide narrative.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 22, 2023