Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It's the year of our lord 2022 and there's still this common misunderstanding that Scream (1996) was an ironic parody or satire of slasher movies. You can especially tell that someone is under this misconception because they'll say something like "this movie is not as clever as it thinks it is" or some such.

Let's set the record straight: love it or hate it, Scream became a phenomenon because it was a genuine, sincere, and often deadly serious horror movie about a group of 90s media junkies who thought they knew everything because they saw it on TV and got themselves killed because they experienced everything "ironically" and couldn't take life seriously enough.

Feel free to talk about the movies SCREAM, SC2EAM, SCR3AM, SCRE4M, and 5CREAM in this thread, ironically or otherwise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Self-aware isn't the same thing as parody. I don't think anyone would say that Scream isn't self-aware.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Scream is one of Wes Craven's... I'm gonna say four masterpieces and is in a depends-on-my-mood-that-day situation with Candyman and Silence of the Lambs as the best horror movie of the '90s.

Scream 2 is an unusually clever sequel and pretty much fuckin owns. I love Liev.

Parker Posey is so good in Scream 3 that I'm gonna say she makes it worth watching at least once even though the rest is complete dog poo poo.

Hayden Penetierre is not quite good enough to make Scream 4 worth watching, but she tries. Not sure what people see in that one really.

My understanding is Scream 5 involves neither Wes Craven (obviously) or Kevin Williamson so it'll probably suck too.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Probably the best thing I can say about the new one is that it's good enough that I didn't notice until after it was over that it didn't have any real chase scenes. Once I realized that I was PISSED the gently caress off, but the movie was entertaining enough that it didn't occur to me while I was actually watching it, so that definitely speaks to its ability to divert your attention.

Seriously though, who makes a Scream movie without any chase scenes? The gently caress?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Looking back at the series from the vantage point of 2022, there are some incredibly striking things:
  • The killers (once unveiled) remind me much more of mass shooters than they do the serial killers of the prior decades, the first film especially.
  • Scream 3 feels like they were trying to hint at Harvey Weinstein (who produced the movie!).
  • Hoooooly poo poo Scream 4 got the whole "dark side of social media" thing more right than any of us ever imagined.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hayden Penetierre is not quite good enough to make Scream 4 worth watching, but she tries. Not sure what people see in that one really.

Scream 4 played better in the context of its release. That third act reveal floored me. It subverted expectations in absolutely the best way.

On a recent re-watch the first half felt like a sitcom or an episode of Sex and the City or something, but the end still put a smile on my face.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Saw the 5th one last night and my rankings are now: 1, 5, 4, 2, 3

I thought 5 was a lot of fun and I don't mind the lack of chase scenes, because the scene with Dylan Minnette in the kitchen was better than any of the chase scenes from the previous 3 movies.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My understanding is Scream 5 involves neither Wes Craven (obviously) or Kevin Williamson so it'll probably suck too.

Nah, it definitely doesn't suck. Reposting my thoughts from the Horror thread -

I would put it on a tier of being better than Scream 3 and 4 but still not quite on the tier of Scream 1 and 2.

For the most part it doesn't feel like a retread of Scream 4 (which was my main concern) and has a tone (and certainly less ugly visual style) distinct from that movie of its own.

Performances from both new and legacy characters are generally quite good especially from a few standouts though I think naming who is a spoiler since it implies more screentime, and there was at least one sequence I found genuinely scary and novel scene in a hospital (mild location spoilers, non-spoiler if you've seen the trailers or any promo material).

There are a lot of good "fighting back the killer" scenes but surprisingly little elaborate chase sequences which was missed.

Some spoiler chat
Dewey "you might be the killer... Because that cut deep" got a huge laugh in my theatre

I really liked the choice for Sidney to not come to Woodsboro straight away - she's no longer defined by the events. I thought she was literally going to nope out of the movie, but her showing up later made sense after THAT character's death

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I think the movie you're thinking of is "Scary Movie", OP

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I mean, re ironic and meta dialogue becoming commonplace in film, Kevin Williamson through both this series, Dawson's Creek (which gets a great shout-out in this movie), The Faculty and of course Joss Whedon soon after with Buffy are very much responsible for that turn in the culture

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Harry Privates posted:

Saw the 5th one last night and my rankings are now: 1, 5, 4, 2, 3

I thought 5 was a lot of fun and I don't mind the lack of chase scenes, because the scene with Dylan Minnette in the kitchen was better than any of the chase scenes from the previous 3 movies.

While I don't agree that it makes up for no real chase scenes, that final fridge door beat in that kitchen seat got a really good laugh.

I'll have to see it again before I know where to rank it, but it's definitely behind 1 and 2 but firmly ahead of 3 and 4. I'm a big mark for the series (3 is bad but it's great background tv fodder) and was pretty wary of the new one, but they did a good job.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just got back from seeing the new movie, I liked it a lot. Dunno how much of it is recency bias, but might be my favorite of the sequels. But I am also one of those weirdos who might like 4 more than 2 so~

But as I said in the horror thread of course I am going to like it because it has lesbian Randy
The one big element I wasn't too big on, the hallucinations, they brought me around on in the end with him smiling towards the knife because lmao, that is just fun.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 15, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, I was iffy on it too at first but Sam using the power of Billy to help her take out Richie ruled. I also liked her wiping the knife off afterwards.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my two favorite lines were "musicals and animated films", but i feel like that is going to be a fav for most people. And gale replying to the killer saying she was radicalized with "by movie fans?"'

e: Oh, apparently this one confirmed Kirby survived 4? I feel like this is more evidence they were doing a comphet thing with her because they said gay people survive the horror movie...

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 15, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I called it that they were basing this one off the Star Wars sequels, with Sam/Dewey/Sidney/Gale being Rey/Han/Luke/Leia. I was almost convinced that somehow, against all odds, Billy Loomis himself was the killer, though I had a hard time seeing even Scream pulling that one off.

Speaking of Star Wars, I forgot Carrie Fisher was in Scream 3 lol.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Is there any other examples of movie/TV creating a paradox by referencing each other? Dawson's Creek is in Scream now, (despite the paradox of Joshua Jackson being a character in Scream as well) while Dawson's Creek has also referenced Scream. Though I guess all those references are now "Stab" in this universe.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Is there any other examples of movie/TV creating a paradox by referencing each other? Dawson's Creek is in Scream now, (despite the paradox of Joshua Jackson being a character in Scream as well) while Dawson's Creek has also referenced Scream. Though I guess all those references are now "Stab" in this universe.

In Scream they're watching Halloweeen, and then in Halloween H2O they're watching Scream 2.

I would've loved to have seen Laurie watching the first Scream when they get to lines like "Why is Jamie Lee Curtis in all of these movies?" and "When do I get to see Jamie Lee's breasts?"

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I want to shout out whoever made the decision to bring back Dewey's theme from Scream 2: it never bothered anyone that it was a temp score that made its way into the actual movie, just go ahead and use it, it's Dewey's theme now!

For the most part Brian Tyler does a good Marco Beltrami impersonation, though now that I think of it I don't recall if I ever heard the main series' theme, which would be a kind of a shame if they really didn't use it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Behind the Mask the Rise of Leslie Vernon says that all slasher characters are real, like Freddy, and Jason, and has a cameo by Kane Hodder at the elm street house and Robert Englund plays the Loomis role in the film.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Just got back. Someday when I have more time I'll try to rewatch/binge the franchise to determine an actual ranking, but right now I feel confident saying I love this less than the original and more than the rest. Not at all surprised, I should have trusted the Ready Or Not director more to not let me down, but drat. Great combination of funny, brutal, surprising, and emotional (and yes, the "For Wes" credit intro was one of the latter bits that got me)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I want to shout out whoever made the decision to bring back Dewey's theme from Scream 2: it never bothered anyone that it was a temp score that made its way into the actual movie, just go ahead and use it, it's Dewey's theme now!

For the most part Brian Tyler does a good Marco Beltrami impersonation, though now that I think of it I don't recall if I ever heard the main series' theme, which would be a kind of a shame if they really didn't use it.

Yeah, Dewey having Hans Zimmer's Broken Arrow theme is just hilarious and I laughed that they brought it back.

The good:

Dewey's theme and David Arquette's acting in general
Legacy characters were handled fun/well
Ghostface was more brutal than ever
I liked that a lot of the kills were super out in the open/daylight although credibility does get stretched a lot
(Not a plot spoiler just a cameo spoiler) Everyone's favorite Youtube horror reviewers "Dead Meat's" cameo was actually nice. I'm happy for them to be able to be in a Scream movie.

The bad:

The killer(s) reveal was stupid and was the same basic motivation as one of the worst reveals from another of the sequels
The reveals also retroactively messes up some of the kills since there's no way a 90 pound girl is overpowering a grown rear end man like that, for instance. Also, she was way too little/short to do what she did. It did retroactively make the boyfriend being so useless make more sense, though. Not the only Scream that had that issue but it was more glaring here.

My Scream ranking:

The first half of Scream 2
Scream 1
Scream 4 (I liked the killer reveal and it was super great at understanding current social media)
Scream 5
The second half of Scream 2
Scream 3

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Can someone give me a quick rundown of Scream 3 and 4.

2 was at College, ...do i spoil this?... Randy dies. Billy's mom and Raylan Givens are the killers...another Dewey fakeout? That's about all I remember

3..I have no idea. I think they're on a movie set?

4. I remember nothing except Sidneys half brother or something is a killer and it's in a wacky castle or mansion for some reason

Help me out friends.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

banned from Starbucks posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of Scream 3 and 4.

2 was at College, ...do i spoil this?... Randy dies. Billy's mom and Raylan Givens are the killers...another Dewey fakeout? That's about all I remember

3..I have no idea. I think they're on a movie set?

4. I remember nothing except Sidneys half brother or something is a killer and it's in a wacky castle or mansion for some reason

Help me out friends.

3 takes place in Hollywood around the filming of a new Stab movie. Sidney is a trauma hotline operator and lives isolated, Gale is still Gale, Dewey is a bodyguard. The killer is Roman, Sidney's older half-brother from her mom's time as an actress. They also retconned it so he was the one who convinced Billy to do the killings in 1.

4 is back in Woodsboro. Sidney is on a book tour, Gale and Dewey are married and Dewey is the sheriff. The killers are Sidney's cousin (Emma Roberts) and a film geek (a Culkin) trying to make a remake of the original events. It's the one with the weird gauzy filter and the million cold opens.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

3 takes place in Hollywood around the filming of a new Stab movie. Sidney is a trauma hotline operator and lives isolated, Gale is still Gale, Dewey is a bodyguard. The killer is Roman, Sidney's older half-brother from her mom's time as an actress. They also retconned it so he was the one who convinced Billy to do the killings in 1.

4 is back in Woodsboro. Sidney is on a book tour, Gale and Dewey are married and Dewey is the sheriff. The killers are Sidney's cousin (Emma Roberts) and a film geek (a Culkin) trying to make a remake of the original events. It's the one with the weird gauzy filter and the million cold opens.

Much appreciated!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think my favorite part of the Scream movies is that Sidney just gets into full on brawls with the killers by the end of each movie.

I'm watching the sequels for the first time before I see the new one. The sequels are actually really solid for the most part.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’d say rankings are 1, 4, 5, 2, 3.

Four nails social media and has too many good actors in it to be so discredited. It felt right.

5 is good. But two issues. One, the lack of chases. And two, they picked the wrong people to be the killers, when a much more subversive pairing was right there.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really liked the killers

They weren't the most surprising choices but I was enjoying Richie already so him going evil was fun. Amber wasn't really doing much for most of the movie but when revealed her actress just did a good job of channeling that Stu energy. Also enjoyed that it felt like they looked at Stu and were like "oh, lets turn these homoerotic vibes way up" with her lol. And the grooming angle is interesting to me, even if its not something the movie explores and personally I think its best they didn't.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Roth posted:

I think my favorite part of the Scream movies is that Sidney just gets into full on brawls with the killers by the end of each movie.

I'm watching the sequels for the first time before I see the new one. The sequels are actually really solid for the most part.

2 and 4 are really good and for my money almost as good as 1

3 never happened

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I've said this so many times over the years but 3 is absolutely an "ironic meta satire" that everyone thinks is only the original. At times it even forgets it's a horror movie.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Yeah I always thought Scream 3 got kind of a bad rap. It's true it drops the ball on most of the "Scream stuff" (both Wes Craven and Neve Campbell are obviously phoning it in--when Sidney says "I'm sick of this poo poo" it sounds like Neve talking--and that killer reveal is one HELL of a wet fart), but I thought it was a fun horror comedy and even has some nifty chase/suspense moments, like the film set that's *almost* an exact replica of Sidney's house, and Gale trying to convince Dewey she's not the killer and to come help her in the basement.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

A couple more things I like about the new movie:

It was nice (and oddly unsettling in its own way) to hear Ghostface talk like a normal friendly guy. It's easy to forget that in the first Scream ol' Ghosty was able to charm Drew Barrymore before getting into the scary poo poo. It was also interesting that it seemed to acknowledge that Roger Jackson has audibly aged: in Scream Casey was flirting with him directly while in 5cream Tara regards him as a potential boyfriend for her mom.

Gale and Dewey's scene together is the best of the film. They were always fun together but I'm not sure I ever truly believed them as a couple until here. Hell, it might be the best scene of David Arquette and Courtney Cox's whole careers!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Ah geez it just now hit me that if Sam had inherited her biological dad's surname she'd be Sam Loomis

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Gale Weather's bangs in Scream 3 are a war crime against humanity

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sorry but randy's facial hair in 2 will always take the cake for worst scream related hair

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I strongly dislike Randy's facial hair in 2 but feel like it fit his character arc and that justifies the facial hair choice

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, film geek goatee absolutely fit. No Way Gale Weathers would choose those bangs.

Although the funniest hair thing in the series is Sidney, Dewey and Gale all apparently having red highlights in 2 for some reason.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, film geek goatee absolutely fit. No Way Gale Weathers would choose those bangs.

Although the funniest hair thing in the series is Sidney, Dewey and Gale all apparently having red highlights in 2 for some reason.

It’s to show their trauamaaaaaa

I don’t even remember those but I bet that’s the reason

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Saw Scream 5 today and I loved it.

Personally, I think it goes even harder into satirizing the whole soft reboot style sequel than Matrix Resurrections did. It feels very in line with the Wes Craven directed movies, and I can imagine a similar film coming from him.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The more I think about this movie since seeing it, the more I wish this movie followed adult characters. Probably would never have happened since teens are still the main audience for slashers.

But, I found this movie best when it was doing something fresh and the "we're back at the house from Scream 1" was actually kind of the weakest stuff for me. It still is a distinct entity from Scream 4, but there are still more similarities than ideally I'd like.

It was definitely a very good version of a movie that "stayed in its lane" of what to expect from a Scream movie but I ultimately wanted something more original or subversive. Like honestly, bring ON Rian Johnson's Scream 5.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Roth posted:

Saw Scream 5 today and I loved it.

Personally, I think it goes even harder into satirizing the whole soft reboot style sequel than Matrix Resurrections did. It feels very in line with the Wes Craven directed movies, and I can imagine a similar film coming from him.

:agreed: completely, especially about the Matrix thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

When I reviewed Cabin in the Woods, I called it the Omega to Scream's Alpha, the gauntlet thrown down asking the immortal question "I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein, and I wanna know what the gently caress you're doing with my time!" and demanding an answer.

Well, here's your answer.

Scream 5 is the Omega² to CitW, it harkens back to the first Scream's inventiveness, its brutality and yes, its comedy. Scream was a horror-comedy, and while that has come to mean a comedy with horror elements lately (thanks for that, Edgar Wright), this is a horror-first comedy.

Ghostface should trade in his KBAR for a blowtorch for how much napalm this movie spits at everything going on around it, and while the "ironically comment on, then shamelessly do {that exact thing}" bit is itself a worn-through trope at this point, to see it done here is a thing of beauty.

I feel like this should be the nail in the coffin of the metatextual requels, though I know that's not gonna be the case. Here's hoping.

Roth posted:

Personally, I think it goes even harder into satirizing the whole soft reboot style sequel than Matrix Resurrections did.
This thought did cross my mind as I was watching it, and it's weird to say it out loud because M4trix was, y'know, actually made by the person who made the last 3, but yeah - this movie goes hard against the very thing these mercenaries were brought in to do.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 20, 2022