Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I made a grave error in trying to make a world with 300 civilizations, the game did not appreciate that.

Someone on the Kitfox discord used DFHack (I think they work on it so had a beta version) to change the number of Dwarves on embark. The max is 32,700~ and last I saw they were at 52 gb of RAM usage while trying to load the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

We're getting some Adventure Mode info today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6zOITv4Fso

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I swear I make a different mistake every time I generate a new world, this time I only generated ten years of history, whoops.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Any tips for making custom schedules for your squads? If I f.ex. want to set up squads so my dwarves spend a month every year rasslin' to give them happy thoughts, the squad UI to do this feels really unwieldy, I always end up going with one of the default presets for my military.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's completely possible to do, it's going to be convoluted and messy though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I swear I make a different mistake every time I generate a new world, this time I only generated ten years of history, whoops.

That just means more forgotten beasts and probably your civilization doesn't have high boots.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That just means more forgotten beasts and probably your civilization doesn't have high boots.

Yeah seeing all of the cool monsters I could have fought being dead already makes me wish I'd stuck with it, especially since it took me three more worlds to get the kind of biome I wanted to generate!

EDIT: It's a complete trouble shooting crap shoot, but despite my game working fine after creating a world, now if I load my saves it crashes if I try to pause it. I assume a mod is responsible - is there any easy way to figure out what's the issue or am I just boned?

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 11, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Guess I had no reason to be worried.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Guess I had no reason to be worried.

Slaves to Armok vs Goliath goes hard

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only giant I've ever been attacked by ran into my fort entrance, killed a goat, promptly fell unconscious from the effort, then the 6 dwarves outside that didn't get to the burrow order fast enough attacked it until they all fell unconscious too. They woke up first, ran inside, and a few minutes later the giant woke up and, presumably due to the pure embarrassment of it all, wandered off the map.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Giants have the strength to do a lot of damage if they hit something. But, they are usually basically naked, and are made of flesh and blood, so in the DF combat system they are, at best, glass cannons. And because they usually don't have much combat skills, they have no hope of scoring a hit against a trained soldier.

Dragons are sort of the same. The breath attack can be amazingly destructive. But if a single trained speardwarf gets next to it, the dragon is probably going down on first hit.

The really nasty opponents are things that are either made of something really durable (like bronze colossi) or that produce WMD-level contamination.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In my experience the most dangerous enemies were fire demons because their smoke obstructs sight lines and your dwarves will just not even attack it because they can't see it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I like when I get forgotten beasts made of things like amber or snow that die immediately despite having 500 kills to their name.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheetah7071 posted:

In my experience the most dangerous enemies were fire demons because their smoke obstructs sight lines and your dwarves will just not even attack it because they can't see it

Meanwhile the most dangerous friends are human representatives that are actually monsters that randomly spew out deadly dust at regular intervals everywhere they go. And they go everywhere. Random dwarfs have the "choking on dust" bad thought, plus an exciting syndrome. And all your animals are have some weird syndrome from walking through dust residue barefoot. Boots for dogs when?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Admiral Joeslop posted:

And all the folks in your civilization are first generation creations. Which makes no difference gameplay wise but weirds me out. So did you meet god or what? King has a real strong claim on the throne when he was appointed by the creator like that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No matter how much I play this game I still don't understand how the armour layer system works. My dwarves just refuse to put on their clothes under their armour and other things.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nuebot posted:

No matter how much I play this game I still don't understand how the armour layer system works. My dwarves just refuse to put on their clothes under their armour and other things.

I just make new uniforms that Replace Clothing and it seems to work out. I also have them train constantly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just make new uniforms that Replace Clothing and it seems to work out. I also have them train constantly.

That's what I do, but like; they're wearing breastplates but not the shirts under their breastplates. They deserve the chafing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Replace Clothing means they only wear assigned armor and nothing else, you're talking about Over Clothing or whatever its called, which has conflicts with feet and I think hands.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Replace Clothing means they only wear assigned armor and nothing else, you're talking about Over Clothing or whatever its called, which has conflicts with feet and I think hands.

It's assigned to their equipment, but I didn't think about the conflicting thing because I'm dumb and was looking at a chart and just thought they'd overlap for more protection. :shepface: So if I want them to wear things properly I don't want like, a robe under their armour along side gloves and whatever else?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Robes, cloaks, trousers, and hoods are good additions to the uniform. They provide a little extra protection and reduce the chance of nudity related bad thoughts. Shoes are v bad, you can't wear high boots if you already wear shoes. Socks are useful. But only one pair.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah I think my set up is something like a shirt, a robe, a breastplate and then a cloak. And they keep not putting the shirts on. But it sounds like that doesn't really matter, then, and I might as well just go with robe, breastplate and cloak?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think the shirt and the robe will conflict in that list, so it's either or for those two.

And if I remember rightly dresses are better than robes for some obscure reason, or used to be.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've started colonizing the caverns, building walls to keep the monsters out and random monster slayers keep joining my fort to kill monsters. I think I've become a dungeon master.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pharnakes posted:

And if I remember rightly dresses are better than robes for some obscure reason, or used to be.

I'm like that with silk. I'm sure it was better than cloth for some reason, but no longer remember the reason.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I've started colonizing the caverns, building walls to keep the monsters out and random monster slayers keep joining my fort to kill monsters. I think I've become a dungeon master.

How many clothes are you wearing right now? How many are cloaks?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

How many clothes are you wearing right now? How many are cloaks?

Three cloaks and eight hoods. I have trapped a troll in my dungeon, it can not escape and waits for the next challenger to enter its new domain.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
So I forgot to back up my worldgen presets and prepare presets, any of you happen to have a nice set?

Also what's the training methods of choice nowadays? I hear pump training got nerfed.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 20, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Slowly, bit by bit, I'm taking over this entire layer. Then I'm going to work my way down I guess.

Nothing's invaded yet. I've lost two dwarves to strange moods; they become strange mooded while in the tavern and just party to insanity rather than going to a workshop.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like you did not have the correct workshops for them. Check their skills in future and then build something that applies to those. The most common missing one early on is a forge.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

Sounds like you did not have the correct workshops for them. Check their skills in future and then build something that applies to those. The most common missing one early on is a forge.

gently caress, that's probably exactly it because a forge is probably the only major one I don't have right now and before I stopped for the night I was just thinking to myself "I should make a forge so my dwarves stop punching crocodiles to death". They're getting very good at that, though. My gatherers are actually stronger than my soldiers which I guess was inevitable given how often they get jumped by crocodiles. They just beat those things to death, meanwhile a soldier kitted out in full armour with one of my few weapons will step outside and immediately get its throat mangled by an olm.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

why would you want your dwarves to stop punching crocodiles to death though

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Nalesh posted:

So I forgot to back up my worldgen presets and prepare presets, any of you happen to have a nice set?

Also what's the training methods of choice nowadays? I hear pump training got nerfed.

Actually, along with this, anyone care to post things that have changed from the classic version to the Steam release that aren't exactly obvious? I recall reading that the new labor screen stuff basically means you no longer have to micromanage labor roles for anyone, but you'd never know that by looking at the screen if you were used to the older version. I'm thinking of starting playing again, but I can't remember any of the good tips and stuff for the steam version.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Wafflecopper posted:

why would you want your dwarves to stop punching crocodiles to death though

The forge is for making steel gauntlets, for more efficient punching.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

junan_paalla posted:

The forge is for making steel gauntlets, for more efficient punching.

It's also for abusing physics to generate infinite metal because I don't have very much as far as I've found thus far.

EDIT: some merchants got lost somehow. They're just sitting on my map after getting attacked by something. I guess they're mine now. I should try to find a way to get them down into the dungeon.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 22, 2023

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'm really surprised that after all these years there's still no easy save manager.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1e5y4Ipzc

Adventure mode in April! Sooner than I thought.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Every time I see the hippoman portrait I smile, it's so good

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Has the game still not added a way to select multiple items at once during embark / trading, or do I have to click 50 times to take 50 seeds with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Qubee posted:

Has the game still not added a way to select multiple items at once during embark / trading, or do I have to click 50 times to take 50 seeds with me?

You can create a default profile and edit them in a text editor, but in game? I don’t think so.