Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431520/Age_of_Fear_Total/

hmmm

30$ to own the entire series and all future stuff, hmmmmm

e: oh my god this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqY20WKrOCA
I actually did the level narrations for all of 1, 3 & 4, the trailers for 4 & 5, and the vast majority of unit barks.

Snuck in as many terrible jokes as I could (especially with the dwarf units and their "drunk status buff" alt lines) and as I always seem to get away with, a Macho Man Randy Savage parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MbGVqOXw18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Owl Inspector posted:

A steam comment from someone who seemed deeply mentally unwell led me to their profile page, where I saw they had 6,000 hours in hunt showdown despite seemingly having started playing less than a year ago. the only way that could have been realistically possible was if he just left the game idling 24/7 to accumulate hours. I assume a lot of extreme hour counts are similar especially once you get to the 5-digit range, although for an MMO I expect it’s more due to some kind of botting than idling.

I have 6500 hrs on Steam for Eve Online, and 1500 for D&D Online, both of which I started playing in April of ‘22. The launchers are constantly on my third monitor 24/7 (usually minimized) except for restarts when they update/patch. Steam counts all the time as playing even if launched through Playnite. It’s funny enough to me that I keep both up just to accumulate the time, even while playing other games.

My EQ and WoW accounts didn’t have hours available, however I had unbroken subscriptions to both from 1999 and 2003 respectively until I stopped playing both in, um, February of ‘22 :shepicide: I seem to like MMOs I guess. There’s a single-player game called Erenshor that uses game AI to recreate that “early days of graphical MMOs,” without all the headaches of actually playing with random people. I’m scared to try it in EA with the demo because I could easily see myself getting lost there :yeshaha:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

So to whoever was asking about Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness earlier, I would have to agree that the character models look pretty bad.

It's weird because the artwork is good, and the environments are decent.

Other than that, so far it's been a fun, if rather generic, CRPG experience. The greed mechanic is interesting, and I wonder how it will impact the game world going forward. Once I've finished my playthrough, I'll probably write a full review for the 2-3 people who might conceivably be interested.

Character models don't look near as bad as Solasta which is my mark for a game that's distractingly ugly. It also doesn't look like it zooms in a lot like Solasta. How is the RTwP combat for someone who's pretty meh on it historically? I thought Pillars 2 had decent RTwP combat, but otherwise I've always found it a bit tedious in the old Infinity Engine games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my wishlist is only 347 right now. what i'm looking at in this sale....

Pizza Tower ($15) - it finally got its first discount!!!
8-Bit Adventures 2 ($14) - haven't played the first but this dev seems solid
Cache Grabbers ($5) - goon-made and extremely niche but seems neat
Elephantasy: Flipside ($5) - throwback to isometric puzzlers like Head Over Heels
Final Profit ($10) - extremely RPG Maker stock art, but I've seen multiple IDGF judges praise the game
Stasis: Bone Totem ($14) - it's another The Brotherhood game, I love their aesthetic/vibes
Sludge Life 2 ($12) - i feel like i owe them for the first game being a giveaway at launch on EGS
Sprawl ($7.49) - a boomer shooter with some apparent flaws but it's also complete and not "episode 1"
Skator Gator 3D ($4) - i'll always enjoy a short 3d platformer
Chants of Senaar ($16) - not a huge discount but i've neard nothing but praise for this
Touhou Artificial Dream in Arcadia ($8) - it's SNES SMT basically
Bilkin's Folly ($16) - seems like a cool puzzle world

other games I'm thinking about: Gunbrella ($12), Another Crusade ($16), En Garde ($12), Turbo Overkill, I Am Future ($10), A Guidebook of Babel ($13),

not on sale (-_-): Scene Investigators, Bat Boy, Girl Genius, Murderous Muses, Can of Wormholes, Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, The Centennial Case, Saga Frontier Remastered, Romancing Saga 3

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Following up the 2D overhead space game talk a few weeks ago I highly recommend 3030 Death War and Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages. Both are cheap in the sale and they are both great games if you like overhead vaguely Star Control-ish games.

3030 is extremely detailed and pretty lush for a tiny indie game. Tons of ships to fly, significant variety of missions to run (not just destroy or haul), busy space to explore, actual different locations, characters, a plot, and some adventure game side bits. I was surprised by the music which even has some nice spacy retro vocal tracks while exploring sometimes. If you like this style of game it is definitely worth a look. I think before I bounced off the character in his dumb looking hat before (I think the creator was thinking private eye but his outfit is more m'lady), but it's a great game and the character isn't as present as I thought he'd be.

Ring Runner is a bug gently caress crazy game. Another tiny indie outing but just bursting with crazy ideas and content it hits you with immediately. Not really an exploration game, but a path through an alright story that doesn't weigh you down. I haven't played it as much as 3030 but I've already encountered lots of fun gameplay. It's a $1 so give it a shot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The thing about overhead space games that aren't Starsector is that they aren't Starsector.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's just one of those games that takes a while to get good I guess

(it's maplestory lmao)

Giev.... branch?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Anyone play SEASON: A letter to the future? It looks like a nice little narrative/camera game with a world to learn about

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Highlighting another interesting demo I saw from a random Youtube recommendation of all things: Raw Metal

It's this combination of top-down stealth where you're hiding in shadows, throwing out gadgets to distract or stun guards and cameras, collecting keycards and such, but then if you sneak attack a guard or get caught by them, you suddenly transition into this Yakuza/Sifu beat-em-up combat sequence like you just had an RPG-esque random encounter. Game certainly has a very stylish flair to it with great transitions and awesome finishing blows for fights.

A noteworthy element that I saw was that, you'd think once you warp into the combat sequence, it'd be a separate dimension with its own controls and worldspace, but no, you're in the exact area where you were with all of the traps and other objects you might've placed beforehand, and you're still allowed to use your stealth gadgets and actions and they blend seamlessly into the new combat-orientated context.

To be honest I'm still a bit wary of it: not sure if the combat or stealth is gonna get as deep as I like, and I wonder if it's just spreading itself too thin and trying to put too many genres together (the RPG equipment/gear felt a bit unnecessary, and I dunno whether it's a roguelike or linear story-based, and I feel like unless the combat is more deadly then stealth might not even be worth it) but it sure caught my eye.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 22, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I like Starsector well enough but it's not really the perfect overhead space game to me. Sometimes I don't want to play Mount and Blade in space. Like M&B it's as much of a strategic game as it's about flying around little ships. You don't even manually fly your ship around outside combat you just click somewhere. Sometimes I wanna be a broke ship captain motoring around rather than a fleet commander. You can try to play Starsector like that but it's really going against the game like playing M&B solo.

For what it does it is very cool, but it doesn't feel like it's really in the same gameplay space as Star Control/Starflight/Solar Winds/Escape Velocity Nova/etc. It's the grog Matrix Games version of all that. Starsector is a dramatically more complicated game compared to most anything else in this 'genre' of a sort which is both good and bad.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It got progressively worse IMO :( They added weird mutators that weren't very fun to play and instead of making more content like maps they've been focused on a 4-player game mode that came out to zero fanfare last month and that no one really stuck around for. I think those are the only major updates they've released in 5 months.

They also made it unplayable for new buyers. I get this when launching for the first time and even after verifying files, restarting steam, etc.

Googling 'Easy Anti-Cheat launch error' brings up forum posts about how it doesn't even stop cheaters, but seems pretty good at stopping paying customers from playing the game :thumbsup:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

speaking of, Deep Rock Galactic is on sale for $10

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Steam is recommending Bloons TD 6 to me because it is similar to another game I've played... Elden Ring.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Steam is recommending Bloons TD 6 to me because it is similar to another game I've played... Elden Ring.

no this is correct actually

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The 7th Guest posted:

8-Bit Adventures 2 ($14) - haven't played the first but this dev seems solid

8-Bit Adventures 2 is a direct sequel to the first game. You can in theory play it without going through the first one, but it's not going to take the time to explain anything. And while the story is better in the sequel, the first one is a better game IMO.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Is the Last of Us PC port still a broken mess? I'm keen to play it after the TV show.

Tried playing it on the PS3 but 30Fps makes my eyes bleed these days.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

It got progressively worse IMO :( They added weird mutators that weren't very fun to play and instead of making more content like maps they've been focused on a 4-player game mode that came out to zero fanfare last month and that no one really stuck around for. I think those are the only major updates they've released in 5 months.

Ughhhhhhhhh

On a hopefully lighter note, I bought Sandrock 2 days ago. I’m still under the 120 minute mark. Can I refund it, then rebuy it at the new sale price and save a cool $8?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Away all Goats posted:

They also made it unplayable for new buyers. I get this when launching for the first time and even after verifying files, restarting steam, etc.

Googling 'Easy Anti-Cheat launch error' brings up forum posts about how it doesn't even stop cheaters, but seems pretty good at stopping paying customers from playing the game :thumbsup:
Can't have cheaters in the game if no one can launch it. Seems like the perfect anti-cheat setup actually.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's listing Street Fighter 6 as a featured title in Role-Playing.

I mean, I guess

Is the Robocop: Rogue City demo no longer available? Everything just points me to the main Steam page and I can't uhhh seem to locate it :confused:

credburn fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 22, 2023

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

buglord posted:

Ughhhhhhhhh

On a hopefully lighter note, I bought Sandrock 2 days ago. I’m still under the 120 minute mark. Can I refund it, then rebuy it at the new sale price and save a cool $8?

Sure, it's even an option when they ask you why you're refunding.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Are there any recent Final Fantasy Tactics-likes with better-than-Mixed reviews with any sort of discount right now? I bounced hard off of Fell Seal because of the level design and weird dev stance on grinding, I'm a hog for Disgaea but 7's at a hard 0% off, and my most recent additions to my wishlist for this genre (Crimson Tactics, Arcadian Atlas) have aggressively mixed reviews.

Is it time for me to just buy Tactics Ogre Reborn and accept that I'm picking up a remaster of a game I already played a ton of when it first came out?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Are there any recent Final Fantasy Tactics-likes with better-than-Mixed reviews with any sort of discount right now? I bounced hard off of Fell Seal because of the level design and weird dev stance on grinding, I'm a hog for Disgaea but 7's at a hard 0% off, and my most recent additions to my wishlist for this genre (Crimson Tactics, Arcadian Atlas) have aggressively mixed reviews.

Is it time for me to just buy Tactics Ogre Reborn and accept that I'm picking up a remaster of a game I already played a ton of when it first came out?

Tactics Ogre Reborn was an absolute treat, especially on the Steam Deck. I need to play through it a few more times to check different plot choices.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Tactics Ogre Reborn was an absolute treat, especially on the Steam Deck. I need to play through it a few more times to check different plot choices.

I'll second this.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't think of it at first since I played through on a Switch, but Triangle Strategy is a must-play. It's unfortunately not discounted right now. Should be $30 or less during the Christmas sale.

Fae Tactics may be another option. It's $7 and has positive reviews. I only tried the demo a few years back and remember it being decent.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The stupid anti cheat stuff kept me from playing the last fifa game after an update no matter how I hosed with it. I didn't even want to play multiplayer just let me kick around the ball in peace.

It ended up being less effort to buy it on PlayStation and if I wanted to play at my desk to stream it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

After the testimonial a week or two back based on its newly-launched patch, I am going to grab Grim Dawn this sale. Base game should be fine right? And if there's like a fun class to start with that'd be great!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Finished the story of Talos Principle 2, really like it. However, I'm giving up on mopping up the lost and gold puzzles simply because the amount of running around just to do a single puzzle is ridiculous. I'll keep it installed for now in the hopes that they add a "fast travel to discovered puzzle rooms" or something.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it does have fast travel to discovered puzzles from the capsule, though i don't think it ever tells you so it's easy to miss

it could do with a way to teleport back to the capsule from the menu though

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It takes like 30 seconds max to run to each of the golden gate puzzles though, can't say it bothered me much.

On the other hand, I really wish there were more of the hard puzzles. Just one per world didn't last for that long.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I've done it, I have cleared my wishlist of every game I can possibly buy.

i am free

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

repiv posted:

it does have fast travel to discovered puzzles from the capsule, though i don't think it ever tells you so it's easy to miss

I did not know that. After trying it out though it's completely useless to me. It seems to only work for "known" puzzles which are not puzzles that you just found (i.e. the question mark turned into the "Lost Puzzle" symbol, but puzzles where you actually crossed the purple entry barrier. For the golden doors it doesn't work at all (that may change once they're open?). Also, I can not fast travel to puzzles in the area I'm currently actually in, I have to travel to another hub first.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Artelier posted:

After the testimonial a week or two back based on its newly-launched patch, I am going to grab Grim Dawn this sale. Base game should be fine right? And if there's like a fun class to start with that'd be great!

I'm still a Grim Dawn noob but I think basically every class combo (you actually pick 2 classes and mix and match their skills) has something fun it can do, although some combos may have more flexibility in how you can build them than others. Honesty I'd say it depends on what kind of "theme" you want to go with -- do you want to be heavy armor melee guy? Dual wielding gunslinger? Primal lightning shaman? Minion summoning necromancer or decay/poison necromancer? Etc

edit: You are fine with just base game to start and there's plenty to do there, but the DLC does add some new classes so if any of those archetypes are your favorites, may be worth picking up.

Ashes of Malmouth adds Inquisitor (ranged Van Helsing style occult hunter) and Necromancer (summons, but can go another route and also be tanky as hell with a ton of life leech and retaliatory curses). Forgotten Gods adds Oathkeeper (Paladin guy with Captain America style shield throw).

goferchan fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 22, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Ragequit posted:

Fae Tactics may be another option. It's $7 and has positive reviews. I only tried the demo a few years back and remember it being decent.

Fae Tactics suffers from it feeling more like a puzzle situation than an tactics game.

Also the main character's portrait image is goofy as hell and you'll be seeing it the entire time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ZearothK posted:

i am free

Now to feel satisfied from your deed alone and never play anything.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

ZearothK posted:

i am free
Having liberated yourself from desire, now you must continue to follow the Buddha's example, and curate an anti-wishlist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_that_Buddha_would_not_play

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Hey what's that funny co-op space game that came out recently? I saw a clip of it where there was someone talking to everyone else from some kind of HQ, and one of the guys on the ground picked up a horn and started honking it a lot.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Looking forward to this year's absolute flood of banger indie titles getting ignored at the Steam Awards, not that it matters too much (at all), but dang man, some of the smaller studios killed it this year.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

dhamster posted:

Hey what's that funny co-op space game that came out recently? I saw a clip of it where there was someone talking to everyone else from some kind of HQ, and one of the guys on the ground picked up a horn and started honking it a lot.

Lethal Company?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Account A and Account B have not bought any games.

Account A buys Account B a gift.

Who gets to be "non-limited"? A, B or both? (or neither?)

Edit: and I think I found the answer after all.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/71D3-35C2-AD96-AA3A

Sounds like A gets "promoted".

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Round 2:

Is there any way for A to buy the gift for B?
They can't friend each other, because they're both limited accounts, so am I SOL?

Edit: Phew! Limited accounts can add friends via one-time URL, but not with friend codes.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 22, 2023