Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FirstnameLastname posted:

cant decide what game to play...

Anbennar update just dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RandolphCarter posted:

oh man the movement in coral island sucks. there’s no walking, only running and you have to move the stick all the way to the outer edge to move at all
oof. I dont remember having an movement issue when I played it when it first launched in EA on game pass? I thought it controlled fine and i thought it was a very promising game but reading Steam reviews, i'm bummed that apparently it's still extremely unfinished. I did mention earlier that I thought that 0.1 to 1.0 was extremely loving fast that I was actually shocked since I figured it had another year or so in the oven from what I played initially.

quote:

If you have not already bought the game during early access, DO NOT buy this game right now. It is falsely advertising itself as a 1.0 release.

This negative review is primarily about the developer or the publisher's decision to release this game as a 1.0 version, when it is clearly not. It should have stayed in EA. There are other highly followed games on Steam which came into EA before Coral Island, and are still in EA. There was no need to rush this to a false 1.0 release.

Now granted I personally have not reached this point, but as others have mentioned, you will hit a point in the MAIN questline where you get a dialog box saying "WIP". This is unacceptable for a 1.0 "completed" release. Post 1.0 roadmap should be adding end game content, not finishing up the main questline.

My specs are good enough to handle ultra settings on games much more graphically intensive than this game. However on this game, I experience stuttering and pop ins as I move around. It is very noticeable and occurs frequently, spoiling the immersion and enjoyment of the game. Catching bugs with your net is a game mechanic, and I have had several instances of bugs appearing on the edge of my screen, and just pop out of existence as I walk halfway toward them.

I bought the game on EA to support the devs and encourage them to produce a good 1.0 release, and I was really excited for this game. I am disappointed in the "1.0" release that my support produced, and my negative review is to encourage the devs and the publisher to fix their mistake.

TL;DR: DO NOT buy this game in its current state. It is not a 1.0 game right now. Wait to see if the devs complete their roadmap and release updates that actually make it a full game.

quote:

've put some more hours into Coral Island & the more I played, the more it frustrated me. I just cannot believe how the Devs would think that fully releasing this game in its current stage was a good idea? The story ends exactly at the same point as in early access, nothing about it got developed any further. You help out some specific NPCs & then you're getting greeted with a ''WIP'' message in your quest log. Several items lack descriptions & only say ''TBD''.

The NPCs keep forgetting everything. I've finished year one & every time I talk to the NPCs, they re-introduce themselves to me as if it was my first time meeting them.

Mini games from events & cleaning the ocean bring game breaking bugs with them. You lose your tools which you cannot get back again. & since there is no manual save option, you don't have the ability to load an older save file. So then that's it, because no tools = no things you can do.

Previously I thought this ''release patch'' should've just been a bigger update for romance, since that's all the devs really added. But even that is bugged to hell. Heart events are not triggering, your partner still says the same generic lines, they even congratulate you on your marriage with someone else (?) a week after you married them.

I treat Coral Island as if it is still early access (because lets face it, that's what it is), & I planned on at least finishing the shrines & building friendships, because those should work. But those things do not work, due to bugs.

So yea, don't advertise this game as 1.0, when it's not finished. Don't make new players pay more money than early access players, when they basically get the same version of the game.

Fix the game, actually finish it & then we can talk about recommending it again.

Disclaimer: Generally I do recommend getting Coral Island, BUT this is more of a neutral review.

Coral Island is fun, I clocked in over 60 hours during early access & found many things to do, without getting bored.
The world looks lovely, the artstyle is amazing & the characters are well written. You truly feel like part of a real, breathing community. The game also doesn't shy away to discuss serious topics like divorce or co-parenting. But at the same time it also provides many funny homages to 90s Sitcoms.

I also appreciate the QoL settings, like making days last longer or making enemies in the mines passive unless you hit them first.
These settings provide us more control over our cozy escape.

Though at this point I have to point out that Coral Island shouldn't have left early access, because the game is clearly not finished yet. Half of the game's story & mechanics will be released in 2024, when it should've been part of the 1.0 update. The Merfolk lore & romance isn't finished. Part of the general map is still off limits. Interactions between the player & NPCs aren't fully fleshed out yet. Multiplayer isn't available either.

So the current ''full release'' is actually just 0.5 version of the finished product. Keep that in mind before you decide to purchase Coral Island.

quote:

was hoping to fully recommend this with 1.0 even though I was skeptical it would actually be ready for launch.
It's not.
Storylines are unfinished (we knew well ahead of time this would be the case for launch), and there's issues that should have been resolved before hitting 1.0. It's maybe disappointing for EA players, but it could straight up be misleading for anyone who wasn't following the game during EA or who at least saw the roadmaps.

If you love farming sims and are okay with playing something that isn't going to be finished for some time still, then buy it. It's a great game despite it's issues, but I can't help but feel they rushed 1.0 out just to justify a price increase and console launch.
I bought the game in early access and I don't regret it, but now that the price has gone up and they advertise it as 1.0, I don't think it would be fair to unconditionally encourage people to buy it.

quote:

Buyer beware: This is being called a "1.0 release" or "full release" but it isn't! There is still a lot of important content missing from this game before it can be considered a full release. If you progress in the game's two major stories you will literally reach a point where it can't advance because it's just not in the game yet. The pet system is very incomplete. You can have children but they can't grow yet. We are still missing dating mechanics.

Make no mistake, this will be a great game, WHEN IT IS ACTUALLY FINISHED! However do not be fooled by it being advertised as 1.0 or full release when it's more akin to Early Access getting a major update. My recommendation is play one of the other many cozy games that are complete and come back in 2024 once this game is actually ready.

if they actually made the full content game I had thought we'd see from what the skeleton laid out in 0.1, then it woulda been great. but yeah no way could they have fleshed it out that fast even pulling 80-hr work weeks.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Xaris posted:

oof. I dont remember having an movement issue when I played it when it first launched in EA on game pass? I thought it controlled fine and i thought it was a very promising game but reading Steam reviews, i'm bummed that apparently it's still extremely unfinished. I did mention earlier that I thought that 0.1 to 1.0 was extremely loving fast that I was actually shocked since I figured it had another year or so in the oven from what I played initially.

if they actually made the full content game I had thought we'd see from what the skeleton laid out in 0.1, then it woulda been great. but yeah no way could they have fleshed it out that fast even pulling 80-hr work weeks.

oh man that’s nuts. I like the vibes of the game already but maybe I should shelve it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

You know the answer

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Mr Hootington posted:

You know the answer

escape from tarkov

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Buck Wildman posted:

escape from tarkov

this is worse than telling someone to kill themself

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

RUSSIAN FISHING 4

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Wildman posted:

escape from tarkov

the only thing i know about tarkov is that video of the guy trolling it by laying down in a dark corner and shooting people in the back who don't check their corners right at the exit to the map and his joyous laughter at ruining people's games is magical

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
fyi star wars squadrons is 2 bux on steam rn

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
hunter call of the wild is 4

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

fyi star wars squadrons is 2 bux on steam rn

it's awesome strong recommend

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Couple people mentioned needing a new mouse. If you can solder at the beginner level you can replace the microswitches in mice for about 25 cents and it makes them feel like new. My last mouse had 3 replacements installed over 10 years or so. Most gamer mice will have Omron D2FC-F-7N switches, but any similar shape 3 pin switch will work fine. I've done this probably ten times for myself and friends and you can have some pretty caveman technique and still get a great result.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

almost everything on my steam wishlist is on sale but I need to save up for a dentist trip

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I just can't justify getting anything more than I've got rn even if it were financially feasible

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Salt Fish posted:

Couple people mentioned needing a new mouse. If you can solder at the beginner level you can replace the microswitches in mice for about 25 cents and it makes them feel like new. My last mouse had 3 replacements installed over 10 years or so. Most gamer mice will have Omron D2FC-F-7N switches, but any similar shape 3 pin switch will work fine. I've done this probably ten times for myself and friends and you can have some pretty caveman technique and still get a great result.

yeah, took apart one of 'em and did that ages ago. they're just kinda falling apart structurally at this point. they've also been through like 4 skate replacements. batteries are also steeply losing the abiltiy to hold a charge. side note, the g900 was an absolute loving pain in the rear end to take apart. lots of interlocking bullshit internals, including a really fragile little ribbon. i think pretty much every other mouse ever made is easy though

i think there's also some utilities now you can use to alter debounce times which may be able to fix double click issues for a bit

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Nov 22, 2023

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

almost everything on my steam wishlist is on sale but I need to save up for a dentist trip

same but i already have too many games

- the dental stuff

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
bought the space witch game, looking forward to play it in 2024

also:

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Kate Dollarhyde left Obsidian, I don't think there's any DLC planned

she got back

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1727205824748200281

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

bought the space witch game

The what

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1340480/The_Cosmic_Wheel_Sisterhood/

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
egs has a black friday promo going with a 33% coupon off, is alan wake 2 worth like 35-ish euros if you liked control? cause i could also just get robocop

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

yes it’s peak remedy

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Alan Wake 2 is like the Witcher 3 for me: It's obv a good game, but I intensely dislike the main chracter and I wish I could just play the ownage woman parts

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

I just can't justify getting anything more than I've got rn even if it were financially feasible

Same.

(Plus there will be another, bigger sale in like a month)

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
just got to the job system in FFV on my first play through

wondering if the XP and gold boost system in the Pixel Remaster is going to break it

any thoughts?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

tlou is extremely good

Lol no it isn't. You're just impressed by prestige TV in videogame form.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Dreylad posted:

battle brothers

the XCOM 2 expansion added soldier bond mechanics so your boys can be war friends.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Remember solder

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

hadji murad posted:

just got to the job system in FFV on my first play through

wondering if the XP and gold boost system in the Pixel Remaster is going to break it

any thoughts?

honestly the XP curves in FF1-6 are annoying enough that I just did a boost for pretty much all of them, since it's not like the game is any harder rather than you have to just take less time to grind

FFV rules though, severely underrated

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Retromancer posted:

Lol no it isn't. You're just impressed by prestige TV in videogame form.

100% this!!!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The more that people try and convince me TLOU is good the more hardened my belief that it's overrated garbage becomes

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I remember the multiplayer in tlou being kinda fun but don't quote me on that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
tlou2 is good because it's more violent and amoral than manhunt

"oooh every human enemy has a name to make you feel" yeah make me feel awesome when I drive a machette on them

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Druckmann is a liberal zionist who prides himself on crunching his employees. gently caress him and his overrated games

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

tlou2 is good because it's more violent and amoral than manhunt

"oooh every human enemy has a name to make you feel" yeah make me feel awesome when I drive a machette on them

Neil Druckmann made TLOU2 because he wanted to kill all palestinians. This is the deep thinker behind the greatest stories in video games.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
more like "The Last Game I'd Wanna Play"

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

triple sulk posted:

honestly the XP curves in FF1-6 are annoying enough that I just did a boost for pretty much all of them, since it's not like the game is any harder rather than you have to just take less time to grind

FFV rules though, severely underrated

thank you for this advice!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

more like "The Last Game I'd Wanna Play"

lol

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm only a bit in but boy i've killed a lot of men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Finished Alan Wake 2. Sam Lake is way above all the losers like Druckmann or Kojima who want to make their games feel like movies by just making a movie and putting a game inside it.