Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Booker just never married. Until a year ago he was dating Rosario Dawson, best known as the other hot girl in men in black two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Dems are losing on crime and immigration because they're shitheels who conceded the territory on it.

It's easy to scare people in politics about crime and immigration and you're never going to fearmonger as effectively as the outright fascists.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

From the new NBC poll today:

- Americans have swung far to the right on immigration and crime and don't trust Democrats to properly deal with those issues.

They trust Republicans over 2x more on crime and immigration.

- The GOP has opened up a large lead on who would be better for the economy.

Despite a 20-point lead on the economy, Democrats have a small advantage on whose economic policies would most help the middle class.

- Confidence in the GOP on abortion, coronavirus, and healthcare have completely collapsed.

The two parties were basically tied on abortion prior to overturning Roe and back in 2015 the Dems had only a small lead on healthcare.

- One kind of funny thing is that Republicans have apparently internalized the criticism that Trump is a threat to democracy and as a response have shifted massively to say the GOP will defend democracy better, whereas everyone else has more or less stayed the same since 2020.

It's sort of a mass political version of "I know you are, but what am I?" in a weird way.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1727045158150324347

The party that used felony disenfranchisement to kick a million people out of the voting pool to turn Florida red, and when voters passed a Constitutional Amendment to undo it they said "lol, nah"
The party that gerrymandered every swing state after 2010 and used the Supreme Court to lock down partisan gerrymandering once and for all as the law of the land.
The party whose last president became the first in American history to refuse to concede an election, insists with no evidence that it was stolen, tried to use his authority and connections to overturn it, and is running on the platform that he should win elections every time.

Better for protecting democracy.

We are in a post truth hellworld where nothing matters.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 22, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bodyholes posted:

The party that used felony disenfranchisement to kick a million people out of the voting pool to turn Florida red, and when voters passed a Constitutional Amendment to undo it they said "lol, nah"
The party that gerrymandered every swing state after 2010 and used the Supreme Court to lock down partisan gerrymandering once and for all as the law of the land.
The party whose last president became the first in American history to refuse to concede an election, insists with no evidence that it was stolen, tried to use his authority and connections to overturn it, and is running on the platform that he should win elections every time.

Better for protecting democracy.

We are in a post truth hellworld where nothing matters.

Important to keep in mind that most of the stuff that we would file under "Cons" are firmly listed as "Pros" in their book.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is narcissist sadist poo poo. I wonder what this guy was up to when he was a diplomat. Like I’d expect to find kids gone missing in the places he stayed or something.

Now that he’s identified, do people know how long he’s been doing this?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is narcissist sadist poo poo. I wonder what this guy was up to when he was a diplomat. Like I’d expect to find kids gone missing in the places he stayed or something.

I assume he's been in charge of policy on Israel and Palestine, judging by results

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1727059850725872010

Holy poo poo does he just hang around that vendor all week to harass them? Different time of day and different clothes.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

He probably lives nearby, that's pretty close to the posh parts of the Upper East Side. Leave the apartment, harass the halal cart guy, grab lunch at Sweetgreen, pick up an iced matcha, harass the halal cart guy on the way home, watch the latest episode of Succession -- probably a daily ritual for him

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I assume he's been in charge of policy on Israel and Palestine, judging by results

I can't tell if you were aware or not, but it appears that was exactly his role from 1999 to 2003.

quote:

Seldowitz was acting director for the National Security Council South Asia Directorate under Obama and was deputy director/senior political officer in the U.S. State Department’s Office of Israel and Palestinian Affairs from 1999 to 2003.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If there's any justice, he's gonna be hounded night and day as he tries to make his racist rounds, or do anything, now that his name and face are out there

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

wake up babe, new ceasefire just dropped

Washington Post posted:

Israel and Hamas agree to hostage exchange deal, 4-day pause in fighting

The Israeli government voted to approve a hostage exchange with Hamas, the government said in a statement early Wednesday local time. At least 50 women and children hostages will be released over four days, the statement said, during which there will be a pause in fighting. Before the deal was approved, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said “the war will continue” even after a deal. Hamas said on Telegram that it had agreed to a “humanitarian truce,” thanking Qatar and Egypt for their efforts in helping to broker the deal. The exchange will involve the release of 150 women and children from Israeli prisons, Hamas said. Qatar later confirmed the deal, saying the starting time of the pause will be announced within the next 24 hours.

Here’s what to know

• A senior Biden administration official told The Washington Post that three Americans — two women and a girl — are expected to be among those released in the first wave of hostages. The United States plans to maintain its pressure on Hamas to give up all of its hostages, the official said.

• Under the terms of the deal, Israel will cease military activity “in all regions of the Gaza Strip” and “hundreds of trucks for humanitarian, relief, medical and fuel aid” will be allowed in, Hamas said.

More here.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

None dare call it Ceasefire, apparently.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
About that "ceasefire"

https://x.com/SkyNews/status/1727063774488629747?s=20

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Professor Beetus posted:

The crime thing is hilarious. All I can think about was visiting my conservative relatives in [economically depressed, crime ridden shithole] talking about how bad things have gotten in Seattle and that's why no one wants to live there anymore. You can probably track media framing of those issues 1:1 with how many people give a poo poo at any given point.

It's also that one side has been bitching about feral MS13 jihadist criminals streaming across the border and increasing crime for decades. The other side occasionally talks about minor reforms, but mostly doesn't push back or patently agrees there's a crime and immigration crisis of historical proportions.

There's almost no stories about how some guy didn't get crimed today or how maybe the only crisis at the border is us being dicks to asylum seekers.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I have no idea why you're phrasing it that way, or even really asking the question. The frontrunner by a trillion miles is Joe Biden unless he is ailing or dead, and possibly then. The DNC is also a bunch of squabbling factions (that you, the person reading this post, can influence in a small way by getting involved in the 2024 district on up conventions) and it's unclear to me who the squabbling factions would prefer if Biden dies drag racing his Trans Am and Harris doesn't seem dominant.

If you mean 2028, that's obviously forever in the future, but I'm a Pritzker man for now if we're not lucky enough to get a union leader run. Shawn Fain is the man of the hour and has an amusingly punny name but I've been a Sara Nelson booster since she was the woman of the hour.

also in the primary even if Biden lives I'm gonna vote for the least laughable leftist available to keep the Biden coalition good

Because the stakes are very high and I'm not convinced he's the best man for the job.

If Trump gets in, or even anyone the GOP nominate, then it's gonna be project 2025, Bannon will set about dismantling the entire administrative state, and American democracy probably falls.

Resting the defence against that on someone with the vigour of Biden seem unforgivably reckless, even without the ferocious propaganda machine that's at play.

Like I'm sorry if this topic has been done to death or whatever, but I'm not seeing much in the way of resolution... They can't seriously be going with Biden. I'd never heard those names before though and like learning new ones so thank you.

Booker was a somewhat facetious suggestion from the previous season, but that's kind of what I mean by "vigour".

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Because the stakes are very high and I'm not convinced he's the best man for the job.

If Trump gets in, or even anyone the GOP nominate, then it's gonna be project 2025, Bannon will set about dismantling the entire administrative state, and American democracy probably falls.

Resting the defence against that on someone with the vigour of Biden seem unforgivably reckless, even without the ferocious propaganda machine that's at play.

Like I'm sorry if this topic has been done to death or whatever, but I'm not seeing much in the way of resolution... They can't seriously be going with Biden. I'd never heard those names before though and like learning new ones so thank you.

Booker was a somewhat facetious suggestion from the previous season, but that's kind of what I mean by "vigour".

In the same polls pundits are citing to say that Biden is weak, Biden wins a hypothetical Democratic primary by a large margin and alternative candidates don't do significantly better against Trump than Biden does. He's underwhelming in the polls because many poll respondents say they prefer Republicans for 2024.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I'm not talking about the polls, I'm talking about the person I can see with my own eyes

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

I'm not talking about the polls, I'm talking about the person I can see with my own eyes

How confident are you that your own assessment of whether Biden is "vigorous enough" to win predicts the views of the electorate a year from now?

edit: it's not perfect but a useful way to check this is to think about how confident you were that Biden would win the 2020 election in 2019.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 22, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

James Garfield posted:

How confident are you that your own assessment of whether Biden is "vigorous enough" to win predicts the views of the electorate a year from now?

edit: it's not perfect but a useful way to check this is to think about how confident you were that Biden would win the 2020 election in 2019.

Pretty confident? I'll happily toxx on it at least. That can't be controversial, surely. He's not getting any more vigorous.

I thought he wasn't great in 2020, but that trump-fatigue would be enough to get him over the line, which it was.

The four years since then have not been kind to him, nor has that much time in the spotlight made it harder for the GOP to land shots.

Not just vigour either. It's sharpness. Quickness. Strength, that sort of thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Maybe this would be a good opportunity to resurrect the Presidents Thread.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This does not contradict it being a ceasefire.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is how it's actually bad for Biden... 1/32

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

For the record, I agree. But who else is there? The 2020 primaries exposed the democrat bench to be full of a bunch of nobodies that couldn’t even beat perennial primary loser Joe Biden.

The Dems are just failing to groom anyone else hate using that word now after all the culture war nonsense? any viable successors. Those granted the opportunity to advance are pretty old in their own right: Jeffries is 53, Kamala is 59…Buttigieg is 41 but I don’t think his presidential aspirations will ever come to life, no matter how much backroom support he may have.

If Biden died in the next few months, what would the Democrats even do? Attempt a campaign with Kamala?

The esteemed stateswoman Hillary Clinton might be your best option at that point… :getin:

E:
Like, cmon

The Top G fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 22, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Top G posted:

anyone else hate using that word now after all the culture war nonsense?

I just assumed that was what your username was abbreviating

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Andrew Cuomo is going to try and make a comeback apparently

https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1727115297591804342?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

At this point I’m not sure if he’s actually any worse than Eric Adams. Adams is just that terrible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Andrew Cuomo is going to try and make a comeback apparently

https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1727115297591804342?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

At this point I’m not sure if he’s actually any worse than Eric Adams. Adams is just that terrible.

That Onion article was a prophecy.

It is wild that being the executive of the largest and most financially important city in America is considered a trap office that only crazy people or disgraces want to hold.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Top G posted:

For the record, I agree. But who else is there? The 2020 primaries exposed the democrat bench to be full of a bunch of nobodies that couldn’t even beat perennial primary loser Joe Biden.

The Dems are just failing to groom anyone else hate using that word now after all the culture war nonsense? any viable successors. Those granted the opportunity to advance are pretty old in their own right: Jeffries is 53, Kamala is 59…Buttigieg is 41 but I don’t think his presidential aspirations will ever come to life, no matter how much backroom support he may have.

If Biden died in the next few months, what would the Democrats even do? Attempt a campaign with Kamala?

The esteemed stateswoman Hillary Clinton might be your best option at that point… :getin:

E:
Like, cmon

to be fair with that pic, he put like 147 or some such number candles and it was joke.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz43szWtuww/?hl=en

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

This is how it's actually bad for Biden... 1/32

This is the best news he's had in months. Joe really needs Bibi to go away though.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 22, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

There are a few Dems who I think would have a shot but they're not nationally placed for it currently, and as you say not being groomed for it. I'd rate Whitmer as likely their best current emergency option, Jon Tester might not be the worst choice either. (Not saying he's got great positions, but just that I could see him mounting a decent race. I guess there's some buzz around Josh Shapiro but I am not familiar enough to assess if he's got legs.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Pretty confident? I'll happily toxx on it at least. That can't be controversial, surely. He's not getting any more vigorous.

If someone were to perform a comprehensive polling analysis on the topic, I would not be all that surprised if it proved that the median voter thought Biden was dangerously young and inexperienced, and they would really prefer someone say 10 years older.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Top G posted:

E:
Like, cmon

Oh he has those stupid coins collection too

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I thought he wasn't great in 2020, but that trump-fatigue would be enough to get him over the line, which it was.

The four years since then have not been kind to him, nor has that much time in the spotlight made it harder for the GOP to land shots.

Not just vigour either. It's sharpness. Quickness. Strength, that sort of thing.

There's only one person in the world who's ever beaten Trump in an election, and it sure as hell ain't Cory Booker.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about Congress. The Dems are barely holding on in the Senate, and with Manchin's retirement and several purple-state Dems coming up for reelection, the future isn't bright.

The Dems desperately need to pick up some GOP Senate seats to even hold onto the majority (let alone grow their margin enough to actually pass stuff), but all the Republicans up for reelection in 2024 are in fairly safe red states. Where the hell are the Dems going to pick up seats? Texas? Florida? Wyoming? Utah? Indiana? Tennessee? Not likely!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

There's only one person in the world who's ever beaten Trump in an election, and it sure as hell ain't Cory Booker.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about Congress. The Dems are barely holding on in the Senate, and with Manchin's retirement and several purple-state Dems coming up for reelection, the future isn't bright.

The Dems desperately need to pick up some GOP Senate seats to even hold onto the majority (let alone grow their margin enough to actually pass stuff), but all the Republicans up for reelection in 2024 are in fairly safe red states. Where the hell are the Dems going to pick up seats? Texas? Florida? Wyoming? Utah? Indiana? Tennessee? Not likely!

yeah the senate map was always bad for 24. I am happy if we nab the presidency, keep the GOP senate margin small and take the house back with decent numbers. My view is biden is running until he isnt.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ms Adequate posted:

There are a few Dems who I think would have a shot but they're not nationally placed for it currently, and as you say not being groomed for it. I'd rate Whitmer as likely their best current emergency option, Jon Tester might not be the worst choice either. (Not saying he's got great positions, but just that I could see him mounting a decent race. I guess there's some buzz around Josh Shapiro but I am not familiar enough to assess if he's got legs.

I hear Whitmers name tossed around, what’s driving the buzz? She was vetted for running mate in 2020 (though largely because of gender and swing state), gave a speech at the DNC, and did an above average job with Covid. Is that about it? Looks like she is decent platform wise too, with some track record of getting results

Dems control the House & Senate in Michigan for about a year now, has she been able to take advantage?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

to be fair with that pic, he put like 147 or some such number candles and it was joke.

“Haha he’s really old!” Is not really helping his case for re-election, in my opinion, but maybe I’m misreading his audience

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Top G posted:

“Haha he’s really old!” Is not really helping his case for re-election

This was basically exactly what Reagan did in 1984.

The only thing anyone remembers from the presidential debates that year was this moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Lr4fgSFAY

quote:

Trewitt said: “Mr. President, I want to raise an issue that I think has been lurking out there for two or three weeks and cast it specifically in national security terms.

“You already are the oldest president in history. And some of your staff say you were tired after your most recent [debating] encounter with Mr. Mondale. I recall yet that President [John F.] Kennedy had to go for days on end with very little sleep during the Cuban missile crisis. Is there any doubt in your mind that you would be able to function in such circumstances?”

Reagan responded: “Not at all, Mr. Trehwitt, and I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent’s youth, and inexperience. If I still have time, I might add, Mr. Trehwitt, I might add that it was Seneca, or it was Cicero, I don’t know which, that said, ‘If it was not for the elders correcting the mistakes of the young, there would be no state."

quote:

The age issue arose, even in the GOP camp, after Reagan’s poor performance at his first debate with Mondale, which had taken place at the Kentucky Center for the Arts in Louisville, three weeks earlier. At the time, Reagan partially blamed his problems on overpreparation with his staff. He said he was “confused” and acknowledged that he didn’t know what city he was in. At one point, in a discussion of the defense budget, Reagan cited the high cost of the military’s “food and wardrobe.”

Reagan’s poll numbers bounced back after the second debate. On Election Day, he carried 49 of the 50 states, becoming only the second presidential candidate to do so after President Richard Nixon’s second-term victory in 1972. Mondale’s only electoral votes came from the District of Columbia and his home state of Minnesota — which he won by 3,761 votes.

Trump is basically the same age as Biden and nobody is going to forget that both of them are very old. Leaning in and making fun of it probably makes the most sense. It was how Reagan disarmed perceptions that he was too old.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
The hit pieces on semaglutide recently are hilarious. Oh no, the drug does exactly what it’s supposed to do by telling your brain it’s not always hungry! Oh no, the drug only lasts for a week then you’re back to normal. Oh no, the drug stops working when it’s done because it’s treating a symptom and not a root cause.

Other articles was some 17yo blaming the drug for her regaining 100 lbs after stopping taking it. Somehow that was what killed her self esteem? No bitch, you have no self control, blame yourself.

We could stop subsidizing seed oils and putting that poo poo in everything and killing everyone with obesity and heart disease. Nah.

Wonder when American pharma companies release their own GLP-1s that all this negative press goes away. A lot of jealously money is flowing straight to Denmark.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

For the non gram havers

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This was basically exactly what Reagan did in 1984.

The only thing anyone remembers from the presidential debates that year was this moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Lr4fgSFAY

Trump is basically the same age as Biden and nobody is going to forget that both of them are very old. Leaning in and making fun of it probably makes the most sense. It was how Reagan disarmed perceptions that he was too old.

good points, I think stuff solidified for better or worse closer to the election and also once the GOP primaries are done. I am curious if there even will be debates, since trump is just not doing them with the also rans. I think he does one, maybe.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

He will never do another debate, he has nothing to possibly gain. No one who is on the fence, if such a mythical being even exists anymore, is gonna see him poo poo out of his mouth for 90 minutes and be like "yup that decides it, he got my vote".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cr0y posted:

He will never do another debate, he has nothing to possibly gain. No one who is on the fence, if such a mythical being even exists anymore, is gonna see him poo poo out of his mouth for 90 minutes and be like "yup that decides it, he got my vote".
It’s the smartest thing he’s done in awhile