Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

My man trying to make the Leman Russ real.

A leman russ tank but it has to be 50 tons. That's eldar technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DancingShade posted:

A leman russ tank but it has to be 50 tons. That's eldar technology.

A Leman Russ only weighs 60 tons. I believe it was first featured in 1995 and that was considered a reasonable weight for a futuristic tank back then.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how many 155mm shells does the USA actually have anyways? i know it's gonna take more than five years to replace the stuff sent to ukraine but how big of a dent is that anyways

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Stairmaster posted:

how many 155mm shells does the USA actually have anyways? i know it's gonna take more than five years to replace the stuff sent to ukraine but how big of a dent is that anyways

In 1995 the US had about 10 Million 155mm rounds.

Here's the GAO report from 1995
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GAOREPORTS-NSIAD-95-89/html/GAOREPORTS-NSIAD-95-89.htm

Here's a youtube puppet giving estimates on artillery stockpiles and production in the context of the Ukraine war. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to give his sources. He estimates 4.6 to 6.3 million 155mm rounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drGQZ2KQMfo

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 09:23 on Nov 22, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

An unsourced random Google search told me 28000 155mm shells per month as of October. I make no assurances about accuracy.

A good amount for peace time training and building up a reserve. I think the Ukraine theatre is around 10k shells per side each day in ideal conditions?

This is where Frosted Flakes would normally jump in and give specifics. Also this isn't my wheelhouse so apologies for any bad info.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 08:29 on Nov 22, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DancingShade posted:

An unsourced random Google search told me 28000 155mm shells per month as of October. I make no assurances about accuracy.

A good amount for peace time training and building up a reserve.

That's production per month not stockpiles. Here's a decent source (for production) but it's almost a full year old at this point.

https://www.csis.org/analysis/rebuilding-us-inventories-six-critical-systems

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Nov 22, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BearsBearsBears posted:

That's production per month not stockpiles. Here's a decent source but it's almost a full year old at this point.

https://www.csis.org/analysis/rebuilding-us-inventories-six-critical-systems

I suspect anyone who knows the specifics for the USA has caveats trying their tongue but that is a pretty good article, thanks for linking.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DancingShade posted:

I suspect anyone who knows the specifics for the USA has caveats trying their tongue but that is a pretty good article, thanks for linking.

I found another interesting article. This one is from Human Right's Watch and is from 2005. It's about the US stockpile of cluster munitions.
https://www.hrw.org/legacy/backgrounder/arms/cluster0705/2.htm

quote:

The report details a stockpile of 5.5 million cluster munitions containing about 728.5 million submunitions.10 This figure, however, does not appear to be a full accounting of cluster munitions available to U.S. forces. In particular, the tally does not include cluster munitions that are part of the War Reserve Stocks for Allies (WRSA).11 Human Rights Watch has previously reported that the U.S. inventory, including WRSA, totaled about one billion submunitions.

So that's about 7.5 million cluster munitions (including stockpiles of US allies).

quote:

Cluster munitions are particularly ubiquitous in the stores of U.S. ground forces. According to the DoD report, the Army has about 638.3 million cluster submunitions (88 percent of the total inventory) and the Marine Corps has about 53.3 million (7 percent). The report states, “Cannon and rocket artillery cluster munitions comprise over 80% of Army fire support capability,”13 and they “comprise the bulk of the Marine Corps artillery munitions.”14 The Air Force stockpiles about 22.2 million air-delivered cluster bombs (3 percent of the cluster inventory) and the Navy about 14.7 million (2 percent).

So 80% of the US Army artillery stockpiles in 2005 were cluster munitions? I'm not sure if that sounds correct. With about 7 million cluster munitions (ignoring Air Force and Navy) comprising 80% of the inventory that would mean about 1.5 million non-cluster munitions. Roughly 8.5 million munitions total (not just 155mm).

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 09:24 on Nov 22, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm p convinced that nobody knows exactly how many shells the us military has, including the us military themselves

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Maybe confusion is on purpose. The brain genius idea from the military is if they don't know the numbers then that can't be leaked to anyone.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DancingShade posted:

This is where Frosted Flakes would normally jump in and give specifics. Also this isn't my wheelhouse so apologies for any bad info.

FF's probe was a necessary price to pay for Russia to take Avdiivka and the Israel/Hamas ceasefire.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

FF's probe was a necessary price to pay for Russia to take Avdiivka and the Israel/Hamas ceasefire.

lol holy poo poo it keeps loving happening: FF getting probed is a precursor to a major development in the war(s)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I feel like a 2-weeker is too small for Adiivka.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

BearsBearsBears posted:

I found another interesting article. This one is from Human Right's Watch and is from 2005. It's about the US stockpile of cluster munitions.
https://www.hrw.org/legacy/backgrounder/arms/cluster0705/2.htm

So that's about 7.5 million cluster munitions (including stockpiles of US allies).

So 80% of the US Army artillery stockpiles in 2005 were cluster munitions? I'm not sure if that sounds correct. With about 7 million cluster munitions (ignoring Air Force and Navy) comprising 80% of the inventory that would mean about 1.5 million non-cluster munitions. Roughly 8.5 million munitions total (not just 155mm).

75-80% ish of US stocks are, indeed, cluster munitions. The US loving loves them. When Biden first sent DPICM to Ukraine, he went on TV to argue that it's not optimal, but he's doing it because the US has no more HE left to send, it's out.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Cerebral Bore posted:

i'm p convinced that nobody knows exactly how many shells the us military has, including the us military themselves

army reserves guy at work was a quartermaster in Afghanistan and based on his stories you're right

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

I feel like a 2-weeker is too small for Adiivka.

Yeah its not going to happen unless he gets another month or whatever. It could get to the point that its basically bakhmut 2, where its essentially taken but ukraine keeps sending troops into the cauldron because lives are worth less than PR.

And that cauldron does look like its taken shape

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this will lead to some great stories
NGA gives high school students top-secret clearances, boosting cyber talent pipeline

fedscoop.com posted:

“Hook ’em early.” That’s the mantra for Gary Buchanan, chief information security officer of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, on how to bolster the cyber workforce at his agency.

But he’s not talking about college interns. NGA has created a program to hire high school students as interns and give them top-secret security clearances to work on mission-critical work like cybersecurity to bolster the talent pipeline, Buchanan said during a panel at Scoop News Group’s Cybertalks last week.

“We’re talking about young men and women who were 16 years old, juniors or seniors in high school, that we gave a top secret SCI clearance to,” he said, adding it was the first time in his career that he’d seen this.

Buchanan’s cybersecurity office in particular had nine summer high school interns, but the agency had other students spread across other functions as well.

NGA recently closed applications for next summer’s cohort, which was open to students 16 years and older who could be brought in on an entry-level salary of $21,398 – $69,035. These students will be asked to “perform a variety of entry-level functions and tasks in support of the organization to which they are assigned” and accomplish “a work project that involves problem identification, analysis, and resolution.”

As Buchanan’s mantra suggests, the hope is this early work will help direct the young students to future careers in cybersecurity or other critical government functions.

“And these young men and women, you know, what do you expect them to know as a high school student? I was floored,” Buchanan said of the last cohort. “It gave me hope in the future. And we expose these young men and women to the sexier parts of cyber:whitewater:. And that was not, you know, writing paperwork. It was: Hey, this is how you do a phishing attack. This is how you defend against an adversary on your network. This is how you isolate. This is how you block and tackle. And before you knew it, we had them writing scripts for us.”

“They were awesome. I love getting them in. And that’s how we can work on the future,” said Buchanan.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

....what

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah its not going to happen unless he gets another month or whatever. It could get to the point that its basically bakhmut 2, where its essentially taken but ukraine keeps sending troops into the cauldron because lives are worth less than PR.

And that cauldron does look like its taken shape

Yeah, the Russians are pretty much doing what they are doing in Bakhmut, and seem to have sufficiently tightened the "throat" to make it costly for the Ukrainians.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mycomancy posted:

Nah, therm hits many more rats. Kin is really only good if you've got a bonus from whatever hull you're in.

Depends on if you're in Deklein with Guristas or Delve with Angels

my stuff is still in VFK :negative:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

tiktok cyberwarriors assemble

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

16 year olds. Legendary for thier ability to make good decisions and resist honeypots.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This will never have any consequences whatsoever

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They already let tons of actual top secret information blow in the wind thanks to Trump, what could it hurt at this point?

Plus these kids aren’t above the law like he is so they’ll just immediately arrest them like the Discord kid and probably threaten their families too, much more latitude to properly control them.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

bro that malware is just a thirst trap, I warned you bro

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Time to nag Gaijin real hard to nerf the American and Israeli equipment and wait for the inevitable mad poster who attaches a pdf full of top secret information in their post.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NGA is the lamest and most embarrassing of the "intelligence community" mainly responsible for helping to crash US submarines, funding Google Earth, probably funding Pokemon Go, and harassing some random household in South Africa:

quote:

From 2013 to 2018, NGA designated the latitude and longitude coordinates of a private residence as a default location for Pretoria, South Africa, causing the digital-mapping website MaxMind to set it as the location of over one million IP addresses, which in turn caused people searching for missing phones and other electronics (as well as other people trying to track down IP addresses in Pretoria and police officers attempting to track criminals) to show up at the residence. The issue was eventually resolved following a private investigation and a request to both NGA and MaxMind that the default location be changed.[65]

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah the DOD doesn't even know what it's spending all it's money on, keeping track of a bunch of physical stuff is probably lostech at this point.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

NGA is the lamest and most embarrassing of the "intelligence community" mainly responsible for helping to crash US submarines, funding Google Earth, probably funding Pokemon Go, and harassing some random household in South Africa:

To be fair they live in Pretoria, they probably deserve a little bit of harassment.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Not setting the default GPS coordinates to the Mariana trench was a big missed opportunity.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

DancingShade posted:

Not setting the default GPS coordinates to the Mariana trench was a big missed opportunity.

Well, the equator is the equator, and for longitude 0 being where it is, you have to blame the Brits

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

sullat posted:

Yeah the DOD doesn't even know what it's spending all it's money on, keeping track of a bunch of physical stuff is probably lostech at this point.

I recall they couldn't even figure out all the buildings they own.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's very tedious but simple to do a 100% audit of every vault, facility, whatever. Unpleasant sure but do-able. The fact such records don't exist indicates there is no desire for accurate reporting or oversight. That's all.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A complete audit like that would cost money and time, not do anything that would improve officer KPIs for promotion, and indeed could turn up considerable problems that the officers in charge, on paper, would be entirely responsible for since they signed papers saying everything was kosher when they took the post. There is negative appetite for accountability like that because zero incentives point a neoliberalism based careerist officer corp to it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

They do spend like 100+ million a year on trying to audit the DoD and a while back (10 years?) they spent I think 1+ billion trying to do a big thorough one and gave up eventually. Trying to audit across the globe spread through an unknown number of companies, countries, mix of secret/public, intentionally obscured, and negligent accounting is pretty crazy. All of which is shifting even as you count. After spending a Lovecraftian unknowable amount of money over 70+ years I can imagine it may be actually impossible to figure this all out even if plenty of people involved weren't obstructing to hide their corruption.

Of course, the whole thing is just playing grab rear end because corruption is most of the point. There's no actual reason a country that's basically impervious to attack aside from nukes needs to spend money so large it escapes mortal mathematics on ostensible defense. I'd hate America less if they could at least own being a bastard and call it the department of war, empire, or mayhem.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also only a fool weaves the rope for their own noose.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

75-80% ish of US stocks are, indeed, cluster munitions. The US loving loves them. When Biden first sent DPICM to Ukraine, he went on TV to argue that it's not optimal, but he's doing it because the US has no more HE left to send, it's out.

Given Ukraine's experience, cluster munitions are exactly good at one thing which is shooting at a tank column stacked up against each other like it's a Wargame zero hour rush. Outside of that and :xcom:-level rng kicks in to the point that infantry in the open field can just walk out of the barrage completely fine.

Well maybe the US artillerists know how to use them as ersatz HE instead of firing them as is which will be more lethal than firing clusters as is.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
cluster munitions are good at one thing and that's reaping an order of magnitude more deniable civilian casualties from uxo than any comparable munition, perfect for america

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ybo_Lmyhc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Danann posted:

Given Ukraine's experience, cluster munitions are exactly good at one thing which is shooting at a tank column stacked up against each other like it's a Wargame zero hour rush. Outside of that and :xcom:-level rng kicks in to the point that infantry in the open field can just walk out of the barrage completely fine.

Well maybe the US artillerists know how to use them as ersatz HE instead of firing them as is which will be more lethal than firing clusters as is.

Remember that video of a Ukrainian counter-battery mission on some artillery and the DPICM just keeps hitting a perfect circle around it?

I mean I'm sure getting shot by cluster munitions is not, you know, optimal. Especially if it's a large formation on the move. But it certainly doesn't obsolete the humble HE.