Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

Holy poo poo the DE-LUXE version of Food Chain Magnate is ~$458 CanuckBux... before shipping.

https://gamefound.com/en/projects/lucky-duck-games/food-chain-magnate-special-edition

I was interested in getting this highly regarded game in a nice deluxe package but at that price it better include multiple days worth of cocaine and hookers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

And yet... it appears we're all wrong (at least in some sense) because there's 1600 backers and €450k pledged.

...now I'm surprised that there aren't more of these bland, incredibly-expensive deluxe editions.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jmzero posted:

And yet... it appears we're all wrong (at least in some sense) because there's 1600 backers and €450k pledged.

...now I'm surprised that there aren't more of these bland, incredibly-expensive deluxe editions.

They will easily take over $1,000,000 dollars before it closes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

uncle blog posted:

What's the thread consensus on Dwellings of Eldervale? It looks like most kickstartered board game to ever kickstart, but somehow I'm still curious. A buuuunch of people are raving about it.

I’ve broadly enjoyed the matches of it I’ve played, but it’s always felt like it ended before anyone could get much of an interesting engine going with their cards (you end up using the bonuses on cards very few times overall) and it’s hard to gauge how well anyone is doing before the final scoring. the way dice work in battles can also be extremely frustrating, but due to the previous point, I’ve had some really obnoxious strings of battle losses just to end up winning the game anyway. There were a lot of tough interesting decisions, it just felt like there was a bit of unfulfilled promise with the card tableau

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Blamestorm posted:

There is also a sci fi variation called Andromeda’s Edge coming out.

As someone who really liked but didn't love Dwellings, I thought long and hard about grabbing Andromeda's Edge but it just... did not grab me. I had hoped it'd be the Gaia Project to the Terra Mystica of Dwellings but Andromeda's Edge seemed -very- close to its predecessor in gameplay without any huge refinements and, worse, it just lost all of the fun flavor and theme of the original as well (and yes, this goes beyond the roaring bases, but those are awesome in their own right). Even just looking at the cards and other materials for the new game, I felt... just a sense of uninspired blandness in the art direction and presentation that I was surprised to find there. Kind of a bummer really.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
The strangest part of the FCM deluxe version is the map. The only complaint I got about the presentation of the game was that the map looked blank. If they kept most of the art the same for the cards and manual then made the map tiles colorful and cartoony it would be a huge improvement. Have little details like kids on bikes, people watering the gardens etc and it would really boost the appeal for a lot of people.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, thanks everyone for your input. I do like a good 'Sunday afternoon' game, but at the moment Ark Nova is filling that niche for me and it seems like Obsession is close enough that I'd probably end up shelving one of them. I probably won't get it right now, but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

I think that's a good call, they do fill a similar niche in that respect but I think Ark Nova is a much better game. I found Obsession pretty dull from the one play I had and definitely felt quite luck dependent, without the interesting interaction and synergy between things that you get in Ark Nova. I was really disappointed cos the theme really appealed to me and I'd heard good things, but I have no real desire to play it again after one play.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I picked up Dune (2019) from the recent Amazon sales and it's being delivered tomorrow. I see that it now has 3 expansions each with 2 new factions and some extra content. There are sparse reviews for these, but has anyone played them that can chime in at all? I know the original relied heavily on the faction balance and having 5 or 6 players, so I'm wondering if the larger faction pool allows for a lower player count or if the variety feels like it adds to the experience at all.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

jmzero posted:

They’d have to compete with all the bland, incredibly expensive Kickstarter MWEs.

Honestly, I thought buying the regular edition of FCM was expensive enough. I wonder if Splotter are charging an insane licensing fee so as to not compete with their regular edition?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

million dollar mack posted:

They’d have to compete with all the bland, incredibly expensive Kickstarter MWEs.

Honestly, I thought buying the regular edition of FCM was expensive enough. I wonder if Splotter are charging an insane licensing fee so as to not compete with their regular edition?

I think it's less licensing fee and more they demanded that this edition be very different from the existing in print one which is probably driving all the plastic

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Grundma posted:

The strangest part of the FCM deluxe version is the map. The only complaint I got about the presentation of the game was that the map looked blank. If they kept most of the art the same for the cards and manual then made the map tiles colorful and cartoony it would be a huge improvement. Have little details like kids on bikes, people watering the gardens etc and it would really boost the appeal for a lot of people.

Yeah the map feels like the biggest let down in the original and this is a step up for sure but still not exactly bursting with creativity and flavour. The double-thicccc tiles are nice but why stop there?

There are some nice things in here that if I didn't own the games would be tempting but the price is bonkers and like I said, shipping is not even settled yet and if trends are anything to consider I wouldn't be surprised if it was >$50 minimum.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The deluxified Castles of Burgundy Special Edition for ~$100 seemed excessive less than a year ago, now it looks like great value compared to Food Chain Magnate.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Having witnessed people playing deluxe CoB, it really seems a much more likable game with crummier components.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I would buy those acrylic tiles in a heartbeat tbh

CHOAM
Mar 13, 2022

Radioactive Toy posted:

I picked up Dune (2019) from the recent Amazon sales and it's being delivered tomorrow. I see that it now has 3 expansions each with 2 new factions and some extra content. There are sparse reviews for these, but has anyone played them that can chime in at all? I know the original relied heavily on the faction balance and having 5 or 6 players, so I'm wondering if the larger faction pool allows for a lower player count or if the variety feels like it adds to the experience at all.

Honestly I'd at most only get the first expansion and skip the rest unless you really really enjoy Dune 2019. The CHOAM and Richesse expansion adds a faction that kinda blows and adds more stuff to keep track of, that in my experience barely got noted. The newest expac is much better but again adds stuff to keep track of that people barely cared about. Only thing of note that makes it work with lower numbers is that the new expac added "hidden allies" where you get access to abilities if you don't enter an alliance with people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

Asmodee Group’s CFO Müge Bouillon joined Embracer co-founder and CEO Lars Wingefor to address investor questions during a Q2 interim report. Amongst the business chatter and promises to prioritise stock prices, Bouillon mentioned that Asmodee was “now deep into the implementation of further reduction of headcounts.”

That’s a slightly wordy way to announce that the company responsible for Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, Exploding Kittens and Catan is actively laying off internal staff - part of an already reported 904 people over the last three months. Bouillon said that Asmodee already survived an initial restructure phase and will take part in a further round of job losses.

“Further restructurings, closures, buyouts are in process and that will lead to further headcount reduction”, she told investors. “Having to say goodbye to our valued colleagues is an unfortunate consequence of the program, and we will do our utmost to carry out this with respect, integrity and compassion.”

https://www.dicebreaker.com/companies/asmodee/news/asmodee-confirms-layoffs-embracer-group-quarterly-earnings-2023

1000+ people out of a job in this industry is massive and hosed.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the writing was on the wall since embracer’s failed deal with the sauds in june. its ghoulish to have this poo poo happen any time, but especially during the holiday season. my heart goes out to all those affected and also, gently caress holding companies

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Infuriating. Imagine having the license to print money that is the Catan and TTR franchise, and mismanaging affairs so badly you have to lay off a thousand people.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Radioactive Toy posted:

Counterpoint: Do not buy any expansions now. The base game is brilliant and has modules and variants baked in. If you play it like an event game 1-3 times a year there will be enough in the base box. If you end up playing a lot, you can explore some expansion stuff. Because it is such a social game each play is pretty fresh.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

gently caress Embracer group. The video games industry is getting similarly rocked by their stupid poo poo. And for them to have the absolute loving gall to say that this is one of their most successful quarters ever as well.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
One very serious downside of board gaming's maturity and success in the last 15 years or so is the attraction of this type of disinterested salivating capital. (No idea what else to call it, I'm sure there's a :ussr: term) It's kind of similar to what we saw in video games at around the start of that period (aka when EA was more known for hoovering up companies and destroying them than the more serious abusive issues).

I also don't know what can be done about it because in my experience throngs of normie enthusiasts will never, ever change their purchasing habits.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just wildly scummy. "Incredible quarter everyone! Also, you you and you are fired."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Are all the billion catan and ticket to ride spin-offs something they do in-house or are they just licensing it out and making tons of easy money?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Played my first round of Spirit Island. 2 player, River Surges in Sunlight and Shadows Flicker in Flame. We played the beginner rules with no blight card and pre-set draws. Took us 3 hours not including rules and setup. Barely edged out a victory after blowing all our energy the turn before, but realizing if we got more fear this turn we would trigger terror level 3 and we took out the only city on the board during slow powers.

I think I got *most* of the rules right, although I may have misinterpreted one or two minor powers in our favor, but to balance that I didn’t realize that killing buildings generated fear, so we were surely behind on where we should have been for fear the entire game.

Now the true challenge begins, to see if I can actually get this to the table enough times to ever truly experience it’s different spirits and variations or if it will just languish on the shelf of 3 hour games people don’t want to learn and play.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Fortunately it's a thoroughly enjoyable solo game as well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Magnetic North posted:

One very serious downside of board gaming's maturity and success in the last 15 years or so is the attraction of this type of disinterested salivating capital. (No idea what else to call it, I'm sure there's a :ussr: term) It's kind of similar to what we saw in video games at around the start of that period (aka when EA was more known for hoovering up companies and destroying them than the more serious abusive issues).

I also don't know what can be done about it because in my experience throngs of normie enthusiasts will never, ever change their purchasing habits.

Vulture capital, as a play on venture capital, is the term I see most often.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elysium posted:

Played my first round of Spirit Island. 2 player, River Surges in Sunlight and Shadows Flicker in Flame. We played the beginner rules with no blight card and pre-set draws. Took us 3 hours not including rules and setup. Barely edged out a victory after blowing all our energy the turn before, but realizing if we got more fear this turn we would trigger terror level 3 and we took out the only city on the board during slow powers.

I think I got *most* of the rules right, although I may have misinterpreted one or two minor powers in our favor, but to balance that I didn’t realize that killing buildings generated fear, so we were surely behind on where we should have been for fear the entire game.

Now the true challenge begins, to see if I can actually get this to the table enough times to ever truly experience it’s different spirits and variations or if it will just languish on the shelf of 3 hour games people don’t want to learn and play.

Definitely try to get this to the table more because with 2 players and experience, it's around 1-1/2 hours, for my husband and I at least.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Carillon posted:

Just played Apiary this weekend and I really don't know what to think about it. The game itself is pretty to look at, but I feel almost like the design is the main attraction? The game itself is fine, but like overly convoluted in places, and isn't very dialed in to me on first play.

I had a similar experience. The game took ~3 hours.
Thing I've learned with points salad games like that is that it takes a few plays to suss out which are the viable path to points vs. newbie traps. Instead you're kinda just optimizing for one turn at a time instead of pursuing a broader strategy which makes the game feel so random.

I'd probably need to play it several more times in order to give it a fair assessment of whether it's good or worth it, but why would I? I don't see enough new there to justify doing that instead of just playing, similar already-known-good games instead.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I like to get Spirit Island to the table for the major imperialist holidays (boy, there are a lot of them) and played with my brother today. He was Devouring Teeth Lurk Underfoot, I played Hearth Vigil, and the invaders were Habsburg Livestock Colony level 1. After the first time they pulled the trick where a town gets pulled from one ravage to the next he said "So this is one of the harder enemies?" but we cleaned their clocks pretty thoroughly without flipping the blight card. He played an absolutely perfect Drought, destroying all 4 towns and one city in a region, and I enjoyed pulling Dahan back into a land after he scared two of their villages away by dropping 9 defend there.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hello! I've been workshopping an idea that's not a boardgame per se, but which requires things like cards, dice, and different boards to work. What's the favorite digital tabletop platform that I could try cobbling something together like this that online friends could connect to? I'm looking for something browser based or at least 2D, as opposed to something like Tabletop Simulator.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 24, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'd go with virtualtabletop.io

It's got a learning curve, for sure, but you can just copy some existing stuff, slam numbers into things, get it going.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Radioactive Toy posted:

I've played the poo poo outta Dune, (and written a couple of effortposts about it in the past) but I would say, ignore the expansions. I've got them all, and I always love buying expansions, but the game is very definitely better without them. I'd say once you've played a lot of games of it, if you like the idea of adding new bells and whistles, but NOT new factions, go for it. If the new factions are what tempt you, don't bother. The initial six are so well done. The game is really good with 4 or 5, but with the full OG 6, it roars on all cylinders, it's just the 'BEST', because they all break the game but in ways that hold each other in a really good balance.

All the new factions just push that out the window. It's not like Twlight Imperium or something, where the framework of the game is set up to take multiple different factions, the base 6 ARE the framework of the game. It's like an expansion for Poker that introduces new suits that have different numbers of cards in and also trump cards. Like, sure, that would massively change things, but, at the cost of it not being 'poker' any more. There's a reason you don't see poker expansions, and it's because that would just be worse than poker. Same deal here.

Like, my favourite thing in gaming is asymmetric factions with different abilities. It's really my #1 criteria for getting a game. (I've made a few posts about that in the past too). So when I say, 'Dont get the new factions' for my favourite game, you have to understand I'm saying that with a heavy heart full of regret. It feels like heresy.

I DO enjoy a bunch of the other bits the expansions bring. The location cards are great, and the hero cards too, both add just enough to be fun and interesting but just little enough to not be an information overload. Some of the treachery cards are good. Homeworlds are evocative, but honestly more fiddly than they're worth.

I would say completely avoid IX / Tlielaxu, because the extra stronghold thing is just bad and loads of the treachery cards ruin the game. Richese / CHOAM is decent because you get the heroes and locations. The Ecaz / Moritani one, eh. Yeah like everyone says, don't bother.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You can get an impressively empty board at start if setting up just the expansion factions.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The guy who owns Dune in my meetups bought all the expansions and has been trying to play a 12p 'Mega Dune' game with all factions for about two months lol

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I have also been terrorised by a mega Duner. The last time I played Dune I assumed they meant Impy and it got too far along to back out politely.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Azran posted:

The guy who owns Dune in my meetups bought all the expansions and has been trying to play a 12p 'Mega Dune' game with all factions for about two months lol

Again, it's my absolutely favourite, I will wax lyrical for hours if provoked, and am always keen to play.

Don't do 12p mega Dune.

Don't even do 8 player Dune.

Just... Don't. I did it once, and if someone invited me to do it again, I'd say no. Even at like a con or something, I wouldn't go in for it. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Visited friends for a game day today. It was all light fare. Strike, Insider, Don't Mess With Cthulhu, Wavelength, Telestrations, maybe something else I don't remember. I still really like light games and I had a good time. However, I haven't played anything more complicated that that in months and months. My group is starting to contract as we lose people and the minority of players who refuse to play anything remotely complicated is rapidly threatening to become quorum where if we exclude them we can barely have a game day at all. Obviously it's every individual's choice and tastes will dictate what they want to play, but it sucks to be face to face with the primary difficulty in this hobby; sometimes it's like trying to agree on pizza toppings. I'm trying to see who else I can fold in to try and get even medium weight games played on occasion, but it's loving depressing.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Ready Set Bet rules.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Tiny Epic Pirates is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Played another round of 2p Spirit Island. Finished this one in under 2 hours, maybe 90 minutes of actual playing. Still on easy mode with no blight card, this time Lightning Swift Strike and Vital Strength of the Earth. We made sure to generate fear for destroyed buildings this time.

We won pretty easily I want to say, granted on easy mode, but Lightning seemed like a cheat code compared to the other low complexity spirits. I hope we weren’t playing it wrong but having the ability to make the slow cards fast seemed super OP, because almost all the power cards Lightning played had the element that let that ability be used, plus the other power card that let our other spirit use 2 slow cards fast. Basically right after we got to fear level 2 we slow rolled a turn to save up energy, then the next turn fast-played a bunch of cards that destroyed all he buildings on the board and that was all she wrote.